JUBE

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: -=OFFICIAL HPI FIRESTORM THREAD=-

wooooooow soow rare, a hpi with traxxas engine here in argentina is 100% competition jjajaja
Old 02-24-2011, 11:10 PM
Road Warrior

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hpi if you want to see a hassle let me get ahold of that motor and give it some love. I have 2 modded 3.3's that I was going to put into a cd3 until the 2 speed looked to be way to good of a idea for the firestorm. I can guarantee you 3 to 5000 more rpm and a longer run time on a tank with acceleration that would be night and day. Plus if you slap a tz slide carb on that thing afterwords it would be a absolute monster.

One of the 2 that are on the shelf have about 10 tanks throught it from when it was put in a jato for testing purposes. With a 22/36 gearing on it first was crazy fast and it lugged a little going into 2nd but couldn't find a area big enough to cut loose. It had potential for doing 80+ with a modified stock pipe. When Ipulled them apart to match the mods up they had to be kept in seperate bags because you couldn't tell which one was new or not. Even the piston and sleeve doesn't look like it was ever ran.
Old 02-25-2011, 04:24 AM
Vava«

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

JUBE,

What's the shock used in our car?
Old 02-25-2011, 06:24 AM
Fuel Crazy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
ORIGINAL: HpiTrax383

well today was a good day for me. I finally finished my 3.3 firestorm. i got it broke in and right when i was starting to fill it up for the tuning process it started to rain, so its gotta wait for now. Its gonna be a hassle to keep it straight.
Looks good. Think that HPI pipe may be choking the 3.3 a little? If you wanna get it modified..id definetely take Road Warrior up on his offer... i have 2 engines here modified by him and his work is nice, and the power is incredible. He will be doing more for me thats for sure.

Old 02-25-2011, 06:25 AM
Fuel Crazy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

JUBE your Firestorm looks good. Is that the silver carbon/graphite upper deck from XtremeRCRacing or did you just strip the anodizing off the stock plate?
Old 02-25-2011, 10:20 AM
Road Warrior

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Where u at Nitro Rob? How do we go ablout talking you into being the 4th 2 speed big block owner on the rcu. Looking at your post history I'm starting to think the worst has happened to you and you got a rc sex change now going under the alias Electric Rob. JK lol. You need to pull your truck out of the box and show it some tlc like you did in the past to create such a remarkable beast.
Old 02-25-2011, 12:09 PM
Fuel Crazy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well went back out just now. With the motor being as strong it is... the 2nd gear is just too high to have these bigass tires on it (when ballooned they get up around like 130mm)... everytime it would shift 2nd, it would just lug the motor down... though still slowly accelerating. Still managed to get 52.7mph out of it. Have no doubt with the smaller tires on it, and it getting to rev out 35000+ this thing is gonna go 60+
Old 02-25-2011, 01:00 PM
HpiTrax383

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

road warrior, what kind of mods do you do to the motor? is it porting like a dirtbike and will it be reliable still?

Also what pipes do you guys recomend, it seems like the hpi pipe gives it tons of low end grunt but i havent really got to test the firestorm out yet.
Old 02-25-2011, 01:05 PM
JUBE

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

i just strip the anodizing for the upper deck and the pipe, the shocks are the hpi aluminium for firestorm..
Old 02-25-2011, 02:07 PM
Road Warrior

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Not really. The whole motor is pulled apart and everything gets worked to give you the best flow and atomization possible. It takes me about 3 hrs to do the 3.3 since the crank is designed the way it is. It's a little easier to do but I take my time and am a bit of a perfectionist so it has to be right. The induction port, crank face, con rod, and sleeve all get worked over. The motor will be just as reliable as it is right now plus it will be easier to tune and hold it better. The 3.3 is not know for longevity like the high dollar motors are its the same way with the hyper too. As for pipe if you were looking for the best buku or ths make for good pipes. With the 3.3's that ive done we took the stock pipe and drilled the stinger out and dremmel the header where it mounts to the motor.
Old 02-25-2011, 02:43 PM
HpiTrax383

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

road warrior i sent you a pm.
Old 02-25-2011, 08:46 PM
nitro-rob

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Sorry I havn't been on in a while.  I was away for work for a few weeks and have been catching up since.  Its good to see some cool new stuff being done to the firestorm.  Two years ago was the big block explosion and now its the two-speed revolution.  I can't imagine what the next big step will be.  Thanks to the blitz there is also a good amount of aftermarket available as well.  Have you thought about trying the ball differential?

I have been busy with RC doing a lot of building and unfortunately the storm is packed in the box.  I have too many RCs for how much driving time is available.
Old 02-26-2011, 06:21 AM
Fuel Crazy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
ORIGINAL: nitro-rob

Sorry I havn't been on in a while. I was away for work for a few weeks and have been catching up since. Its good to see some cool new stuff being done to the firestorm. Two years ago was the big block explosion and now its the two-speed revolution. I can't imagine what the next big step will be. Thanks to the blitz there is also a good amount of aftermarket available as well. Have you thought about trying the ball differential?
I have been busy with RC doing a lot of building and unfortunately the storm is packed in the box. I have too many RCs for how much driving time is available.
come on Rob you know you wanna do the 2spd conversion Sofar we got one guy who used HPI 2spd, Road Warrior used OFNA 2spd, and I used the Traxxas 2spd. You just gotta find 2spd from another company to use to complete the cycle lol.

Old 02-26-2011, 07:49 AM
Firestorm Maff

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

My Firestorm mods so far.
Waiting for a dry day to test top speed with gps!!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=440sx6X9t-4[/youtube]
Old 02-26-2011, 09:40 AM
Fuel Crazy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
ORIGINAL: Firestorm Maff

My Firestorm mods so far.
Waiting for a dry day to test top speed with gps!!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=440sx6X9t-4[/youtube]
looks good...thats one bigazz airfilter.

With those tires only being 87mm... topspeed probably gonna be around 40-43mph depending on how much they balloon, with having the stock G3.0.

Old 02-27-2011, 02:24 AM
Firestorm Maff

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks dude, and i had maximum air flow in mind when looking for a filter. I think i succeeded there! The plastic connecting pipe now has a Firestorm 10T sticker on it to give the illusion that its meant to be there
Im looking for a taller wheel for the rears to increase top speed. With the v-grooves on all corners the car slides like its drifting under acceleration, still they get to top speed in reasonable time. Suggestions on taller wheels would be appreciated. Obviously weight needs to be low as possible on the rear wheels.
I would be most happy with 40-45mph! I have an engine from a donor car which i have now ported so once i get a good speed check from the current set up i will swap engines to see if i can maybe squeeze a mph or two extra out of it.
Old 02-27-2011, 05:26 AM
Fuel Crazy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

If you're just gonna be doing road driving.... the Jaco foams are around 98mm. With them, and ported motor you should be able to go 44-45mph with a good tune.
Old 02-27-2011, 07:31 AM
Firestorm Maff

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I got my dry day!
Well at least the road had dried out for the 2 hours i was there. It ran 43.06mph (very happy with that!) with the stock rear tires on, no shell and my phone strapped to the front shock tower to measure the speed. It still wasnt hitting maximum revs so i guess it could run somewhere between 44-45mph as it is now if i can get the tune perfect.

Which Jaco foams in particular did you have in mind?
Old 02-27-2011, 09:59 AM
Fuel Crazy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Theres a few different diameter Jaco's

2040LP's are 98.3mm (carbon look)
2040's are 107.5mm (white)
2050's are 104mm (white)
2050LP's are 98.3mm (carbon look)

According to calculations.. if you were running the stock tires (102mm, which probably balloon to around 104mm) you were turning right around 29000-30000rpm.

Ran mine again little while ago before the rain comes in. I pulled the stock HPI tires off the wheels since the hex's spun on them, and stuck em on some big wheels off my old Duratrax Maximum MT. Had to stretch them quite a bit to fit.. but, did end up getting a wider footprint on the rear, and they dont balloon as much. Set the stock OFNA pipe as short as i could. Tried out some Omega 16% fuel ive had sitting in the shed for quite a few years just to see if it was any good. Made 5 runs with the gps on the truck... came back with readings of 57.4, 57.9, 58.4, 58.6, 59.2. Wasnt getting much heat in the motor though with how the weather conditions are and that fuel..so i stopped running as i didnt wanna keep running without it getting up to temp. By calculations... i was turning about 37000rpm on the 58-59mph runs. SO close to 60 but no cigar lol. Later this week will put the 30% back in, and lean on it some more and hopefully get into the 60's with it.
Old 02-27-2011, 10:56 AM
Firestorm Maff

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Now thats a fast Firestorm!!

Thanks for the help with wheels dude. Think i may get them ordered tonight along with the new clutch bell to replace the one my savage ate.
When i eventually get around to weight reduction on the Firestorm i think that will squeeze those last few rpm's out. Im thinking i should put more work into the donor engine i ported before using it. Bearing replacements and try to get it sealed good. My current engine has been very tempremental with leaks developing from all over the place. I got through 4 exhaust gaskets in a week once. Probably a good idea to make sure the next engine is put together a little better.
Best of luck cracking 60, although it sounds like you dont need luck to do it!

Old 02-27-2011, 10:57 AM
Road Warrior

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

37000 isn't too bad for a motor that ofna says has a claimed hp of 2.5 and a rpm of 38000 which is way off they over shot that one. Considering that according to the real x dyno's numbers it only has 0.98hp @ 20,750 rpm 49.92 oz-in tq @ 14,750 rpm 33,000 max rpm. Plus you were running 16% not positive but I believe that they run 30% when they do the x dyno to get the max a motor will do. So I would say that there is some kind of a improvement over the stock x dyno numbers
Old 02-27-2011, 11:44 AM
Fuel Crazy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

No doubt. There is also definetely a difference in how it runs with the Byrons 30% and this Omega 16%. Looks like the rain might miss today as the sun is coming out...so might try going back out in a little bit with the 30% in it. If so, ill try settings my camera out and try getting video of it making a pass.

BTW... i havent taken the head off this one, but when i pulled the purple one apart, you still had the silver and both copper shims in that one. Did you set the squish any tighter on this one, or is it at factory squish too?
Old 02-27-2011, 11:49 AM
Road Warrior

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

No actually I think it has 3 copper and one silver shim.
Old 02-27-2011, 11:55 AM
Road Warrior

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I'm not for sure on that though. I kind of thought you would have taken them all apart in your down time to investigate what is going on with the internals.

Search this Thread