Notices
RC Nitro Stadium Trucks Discuss all aspects of rc nitro stadium trucks here

-=OFFICIAL HPI FIRESTORM THREAD=-

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2008, 09:07 PM
scobeh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: -=OFFICIAL HPI FIRESTORM THREAD=-

got new motor in and broke in just started to lean high speed nedle and the rains hit in mpls oh well i will try tomorrow
Old 06-11-2008, 09:09 PM
scobeh

ya yakfish thanks for glowplug info
Old 06-12-2008, 09:03 PM
txfirestormracer

Ok im new on here but not new to msg boards, I just bought a new HPI Firestorm last thursday so today i have had it a week and love it so far. This is my 2nd nitro truck i had one about 5 or 6 years ago and decided to buy another. Well yesterday had my first accident with the truck..that darn mailbox jumpt into my path and broke the right front control arm at the pin location, well i bought the composite arms and will be here tommorow are they stronger than the factory ones? and what good web sites have hop up parts for the firestorm?
Thanks Lance
Old 06-12-2008, 10:18 PM
yakfish
My Feedback: (27)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah the composite arms are stronger but I think what really makes them stand out is the fact that they are stiffer and will give you better handling. I had a set on my firestorm, and I noticed a bit of a difference if how responsive the steering was. they don't flex as much as the stock plastic ones do . but they are stronger and won't break as easy as the stock one either.

If you ahevn't allready found it HPI's site has all of the available option parts for the firestorm on it. here is the link. http://www.hpiracing.com/kitoptions/10510/
Old 06-12-2008, 10:39 PM
cgad18

how do i go about installing a roto start system?
Old 06-12-2008, 11:10 PM
ben90

Alright so I got my firestorm running good, I adjusted the needles and it was running awesome until the exaust fell off. It fell off right where it goes to the engine and now my engine is filled with dirt. I was driving it around and it started bogging out and then stalled, so I started it back up and it was doing the same thing so I turned it off and checked everything out and thats when I noticed it. So what I was wondering is how should I clean the motor out?
Old 06-12-2008, 11:50 PM
sparko
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: ben90

Alright so I got my firestorm running good, I adjusted the needles and it was running awesome until the exaust fell off. It fell off right where it goes to the engine and now my engine is filled with dirt. I was driving it around and it started bogging out and then stalled, so I started it back up and it was doing the same thing so I turned it off and checked everything out and thats when I noticed it. So what I was wondering is how should I clean the motor out?

Remove it from the truck and completely disassemble it for starters. Then I'd clean every part with some of the nitro cleaner, slap her back together and pray to jesus
Old 06-13-2008, 12:48 AM
ben90

I was hoping that there would be an easier way but theres no easy way around this is there.
Old 06-13-2008, 07:20 AM
scobeh

no you better tear it apart slowly and clean it good
Old 06-13-2008, 01:58 PM
scobeh

got the new motor tuned and running great got some new plugs what do you guys think of the mccoy mc 8
Old 06-13-2008, 02:03 PM
yakfish

Isn't the mc 8 a warm plug? I was using the mc9 which is a cold plug and worked great for me!
Old 06-13-2008, 03:32 PM
windowlicker

Just had a bit of wet tarmac driving fun with my Firestorm, trying to drift it, but its almost impossible! Fun trying though..

Anyway, just as I was putting everything away, I noticed the hole in the chassis where the flywheel spins, was a bit wet with oil, and looking behind the flywheel at the engines front bearing, it looked very oily and a bit gunky. Does this sound like my engines bearing is leaking? or is a bit of oil around the engine normal? I'm assuming its a leak as my temps are about 250-270 and theres plenty of oil coming out of the exhaust. I'm guessing I could lean it out a lot more than it is at the moment.

How do you test for air leaks in the engine or engine bearings?
Old 06-13-2008, 04:17 PM
experimental_pilot

ORIGINAL: windowlicker
Anyway, just as I was putting everything away, I noticed the hole in the chassis where the flywheel spins, was a bit wet with oil, and looking behind the flywheel at the engines front bearing, it looked very oily and a bit gunky. Does this sound like my engines bearing is leaking? or is a bit of oil around the engine normal? I'm assuming its a leak as my temps are about 250-270 and theres plenty of oil coming out of the exhaust. I'm guessing I could lean it out a lot more than it is at the moment.

How do you test for air leaks in the engine or engine bearings?
The front bearing is not a perfect seal. There can be some leakage.
If your temps are 250-270°F DO NOT LEAN IT OUT ANY MORE! In fact richen it up a bit, try to keep it close to 230°F.

To test for air leaks use soapy water. Rather than doing that, if you haven't sealed it already, take the engine out and seal it.
This should help you.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xwDy-I0Z4I
Old 06-13-2008, 04:19 PM
txfirestormracer

I also have had some extra fuel/oil around the base of the motor and the header area, i have no exh gasket would this be the problem, i do have the bolts tight and w/ loctite, it just seems a little much around the motor. I also checked the head and they are also tight. any idea's?

also has anyone have to adjust there low speed needle clockwise alot to get the throttle response and low end where they want it, it seems like i got mine turned in about 1 1/2 turns in from flush. Its seems like its running good at that setting..
Old 06-13-2008, 04:27 PM
yakfish

I never had to turn my LSN more than 1/4 turn. If you are leaning it that far your HSN is probably to rich... how are your temps?
Old 06-13-2008, 04:43 PM
txfirestormracer

I have a Temp Gun with laser that i use at work to get my temp at the glow plug..I try to tune it about 160 deg over outside temp which i never go over 250 deg.
Factory setting on the LSN it just seemed like it had no bottom end power or take off real sluggish, and since i leaned it out its running better at take off and HSN seems ok too..no temp over 250..
Old 06-13-2008, 04:47 PM
yakfish

Hey as long as it works for you keep it like it is! wheelies?
Old 06-13-2008, 06:12 PM
giantzack

hi firestorm peoples i am new the the firestorm truck and am having troubles popping it onto 2 wheels anyone got sugestions? And what aftermarcket parts should i buy???
Old 06-13-2008, 07:30 PM
yakfish

Lean the LSN a bit and get some moab tires. oh yeah don't forget the wheelie bar!
Old 06-13-2008, 08:15 PM
NitroNate

And for a wheelie bar,use yakfish's method.Which simply is made by screwing a Firestorm a-arm to the bottom of the batt. box.OR,use my method: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_73...tm.htm#7390230
Old 06-13-2008, 08:30 PM
txfirestormracer

My firestorm is not doing wheelies at all, i think the stock tires just will not hook up on pavement or on grass, have not had a chance to take it to the track yet tho either, i will be upgrading the tires soon
Old 06-14-2008, 01:51 PM
windowlicker

Just had my first decent bashing session with my Firestorm. Had it for quite a few months but only now have I had a good go at jumping. Theres a few small jumps behind my house, and it flew really well through them, impressed! Just annoyed that my alum parts need a bit more thread lock to keep them from loosening, had to bring it back cos a screw in my front hub carrier thing came loose.

Pretty addictive stuff, just wish there was a track near me!
Old 06-14-2008, 03:28 PM
scobeh

help rear and locked up and wheels wont move any ideas why?
Old 06-14-2008, 04:03 PM
windowlicker

diff is broken? twig stuck in drive train? brake stuck on?

does one wheel turn if you hold the other? does one wheel turn at all?!
Old 06-15-2008, 04:21 AM
maty b

hey guys,
sorry to be a pain but when i asked before noone answered.

What is ther base possition for ALL the tuning needles cause my brother 'tuned' our firestorm and now it dosnt work properly. I know the high speed needle should be flush, but the low speed and idle needles i have no clue.

Please help as i know i could be damaging my firestorm with the nedles as they are!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.