Notices
RC Nitro Stadium Trucks Discuss all aspects of rc nitro stadium trucks here

-=OFFICIAL HPI FIRESTORM THREAD=-

Old 08-19-2008, 02:56 PM
nitro-rob

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: -=OFFICIAL HPI FIRESTORM THREAD=-

Nate - I do have to say, though, that as far as a trick truck goes, you are in the lead and have done a great job. Its developed a friendly competitive spirit in me....
Old 08-20-2008, 06:17 AM
NitroNate

Thanks,nitro-rob.
I'm happy to know I'm driving you to compete.
Old 08-20-2008, 07:42 AM
garzzar

dang that means i gotta get upgrading too, gotta keep up lol

anyway, just wanted to get some opinions on aluminum shocks that wont break the bank, i think that will be my next ugrade as it will help performance more than the other stuff i had in mind.
integy has some nice shocks but the problem is i have to look through everthing just to see if they are the right size, as they do not make firestorm shocks, and i imagine 1-5mm isnt going to make a big difference
Old 08-20-2008, 03:17 PM
nitro rc

can somebody post a picture or explain what a blown exhaust gasket looks like.
Old 08-20-2008, 03:24 PM
nitro rc

here is a video of my brothers storm racing my tmaxx. It is his second day with his own nitro so he doesn't stay on the track very well. We need to widen the track anyway. Tell me if it sounds the way it should. I didn't tune the LSN yet but leaned the HSN just enough so it isn't running too rich. I think about 1/4 turn on the LSN needle and it should be perfect. Well perfect enough for him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4J6bC-noyUY

And P.S. - Page 108 woooooooot
Old 08-20-2008, 07:48 PM
BlindObject
My Feedback: (11)

Tomorrow I'll be getting my Firestorm, can't wait! I had some complication with Tower, but it should be good by tomorrow, along with my car at my house.

Can't wait. =DDDDDD

Also, what's the first hop ups i should get?
Old 08-20-2008, 08:40 PM
nitro-rob

Nitro RC - When you mean making tuning adjustment, do you mean relative to how its running in the video or do you intend to go with the setting from now on? The truck should be tuned every time its driven based on smoke and temperature combined, and it will change when the temperature changes.

When I tune my truck for an evening run, and the temp is around 70 F outside and have an engine temperature of 220 F. The next day at noon its 85 F and with the same settings the engine temperature goes up to 290 F and there is a huge power difference.
Old 08-21-2008, 08:48 AM
NitroNate

BlindObject,I'd reccomend RPM rod ends and the bulkhead reinforcement plate.(from www.neweramodels.com .)Next should be HPI's alloy a-arm mount along with NewEra's alloy a-arms.By that time you might need a new set of tires.

Your in good hands with the engine.The G3.0 is very powerful with high RPMs,and it's easy to keep in tune.You can also replace it for half price for a brand new G3.0 when you feel its time!
Old 08-21-2008, 04:50 PM
BlindObject

Okay so, I'm half way breaking it in and I'm having problems.

First tank I let it idle with the tires off the ground.
Second I did gradually smooth 1/4 and 1/2 throttles.
Now I can't start it up without it wanting to take off, and if i lower the trim and place the car on the ground it dies.
I tried leaning it but didn't help much. Some help please?

Also, I have a feeling my Spur gear and the Clutch bell are touching...anybody else have this problem?
Old 08-21-2008, 05:17 PM
08firestorm12

Im have a similar problem, but mine has already been broken in.

I start it up now and it jjust wants to take off.
I lift the ass end off the ground and it just starts reving up like crazy.
Ive tired adjusting the needles but does not seem to do anything.

Any ideaS?
Old 08-21-2008, 06:20 PM
nitro-rob

Have you adjusted the idle screw or just the high and low speed jets? Do you think your spur gear and clutch bell are too tight or close together? Post a pic.
Old 08-21-2008, 09:43 PM
BlindObject

I will when I'm home.

But I leaned the engine thinking that the breaking in made it a bit more flexible, but it didn't do much. I have to have the throttle trim somewhat open for the car to start, but when it does start it revs up high, so I lower the controller trim so it's back to a somewhat good sounding idle, but when I put the back wheels on the floor (it wont start with the wheels on the ground) it dies right away. The Clutch bell seems to be touching the spur gear, I was wondering if I could find a small spacer or something.

I'll take pics as soon as I get home.

But here's something that I found.

Also this from the Manual.

(All editing done in Paint in like 5 mins lol)

I also notice it's a bit hard when I turn the rear wheels with my hand, as if something is dragging it. I know it's not the brakes since I tried without them.
Old 08-22-2008, 03:10 AM
killsaurus

anybody got a ps3 if so whats your id
Old 08-22-2008, 08:23 AM
garzzar

ok it looks like the nut for the pressure plate is way too tight (dont know if that will give clearance or not ) but you still need to loosen it a bit, also can you drive the car i.e. when you hit the throttle does it rev real high before it moves , does it die, or does it drive like its suppose too.

also when adjusting idle speed screw have your throttle wide open so you dont lock up the carb by adjusting it too tight when its closed.
to adjust breaking twist the nut on the brake linkage until you have no breaking, being carefull give a little throttle and adjust the breaking by 1/4 turns until you have it where you want it but ajust idle speed first do braking last because idle speed can affect brake tightness.
Old 08-22-2008, 11:05 AM
nitro-rob

[quote]ORIGINAL: BlindObject

I will when I'm home.

But I leaned the engine thinking that the breaking in made it a bit more flexible, but it didn't do much. I have to have the throttle trim somewhat open for the car to start, but when it does start it revs up high, so I lower the controller trim so it's back to a somewhat good sounding idle, but when I put the back wheels on the floor (it wont start with the wheels on the ground) it dies right away. The Clutch bell seems to be touching the spur gear, I was wondering if I could find a small spacer or something.

BlindObject:

Its strange if your slipper plate is touching the clutch bell 'laterally'. Loosening the pressure plate shouldn't reduce clearance, and if the spur gear and pressure plate are pushed 'inward' in some way they would hit a screw on the transmission. Here is a photo of my truck (sorry, my digital camera just broke). I would check the relative position of the clutch bell and slipper clutch relative to the transmission mount that goes over the clutch bell as a start. As you can see, mine is in the middle of the clutch bell gear, and there is a lot of separation. The clutch bell is about 2mm past the transmission mount towards the outside of the truck.

I wonder if the clutch bell is pushed away from the engine for some reason, because its hard for the engine and tranny to be too close together based on how they mount to the bottom plate. Unless the mounts are drilled in the wrong place (which is very unlikely).

Does this make sense?

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay75827.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	1016786  
Old 08-22-2008, 11:12 AM
nitro-rob

ORIGINAL: NitroNate

Your in good hands with the engine.The G3.0 is very powerful with high RPMs,and it's easy to keep in tune.You can also replace it for half price for a brand new G3.0 when you feel its time!
Nate - what do you mean it can be replace for half the price? Do you have a source for cheap engines? A replacement would cost me 150 CAD.

Also - does anybody run an aftermarket air filter? I was thinking of getting a K&N style but will only do so if I increase the safety to the engine.

I went a little e-bay crazy and picked up a bunch of used trucks for winter projects - four in addition to my storm. I am considering installing an OS .18 from one of them....
Old 08-22-2008, 11:20 AM
mercerbeef

i got a k&n for mine but they ordered the wrong one, its smaller that the stock fstm filter, trying to find the right part #
Old 08-22-2008, 11:52 AM
BlindObject

[quote]ORIGINAL: nitro-rob

ORIGINAL: BlindObject

I will when I'm home.

BlindObject:

Its strange if your slipper plate is touching the clutch bell 'laterally'. Loosening the pressure plate shouldn't reduce clearance, and if the spur gear and pressure plate are pushed 'inward' in some way they would hit a screw on the transmission. Here is a photo of my truck (sorry, my digital camera just broke). I would check the relative position of the clutch bell and slipper clutch relative to the transmission mount that goes over the clutch bell as a start. As you can see, mine is in the middle of the clutch bell gear, and there is a lot of separation. The clutch bell is about 2mm past the transmission mount towards the outside of the truck.

I wonder if the clutch bell is pushed away from the engine for some reason, because its hard for the engine and tranny to be too close together based on how they mount to the bottom plate. Unless the mounts are drilled in the wrong place (which is very unlikely).

Does this make sense?

Awesome, I can't really tell though, can you take a closer and from up view picture please? And when you spin the rear wheels with your hands, do you feel any drag?
Old 08-22-2008, 12:14 PM
nitro rc

ORIGINAL: nitro-rob

ORIGINAL: NitroNate

Nate - what do you mean it can be replace for half the price? Do you have a source for cheap engines? A replacement would cost me 150 CAD.

Also - does anybody run an aftermarket air filter? I was thinking of getting a K&N style but will only do so if I increase the safety to the engine.

I went a little e-bay crazy and picked up a bunch of used trucks for winter projects - four in addition to my storm. I am considering installing an OS .18 from one of them....
ya you just send your engine to HPI (G3.0) and they send you a brand new one for $65. Look at their website.

http://www.hpiracing.com/engineexchange/
Old 08-22-2008, 12:18 PM
nitro-rob

I will try to get a better picture in a bit, I am using the camera on my mac for now and its terrible. Do you use skype or yahoo messenger?

The wheels spin freely when I spin them. Individually and if turned together in the same direction.
Old 08-22-2008, 12:29 PM
nitro-rob

[/quote]
ya you just send your engine to HPI (G3.0) and they send you a brand new one for $65. Look at their website.

[/quote]

I didn't know that but should have. Thats a good deal (I wonder if it tells you what the engines really cost). I will take advanage of this with my used savage thats coming in. Thats worth it for a new engine.
Old 08-22-2008, 12:34 PM
BlindObject

I will try to get a better picture in a bit, I am using the camera on my mac for now and its terrible. Do you use skype or yahoo messenger?

The wheels spin freely when I spin them. Individually and if turned together in the same direction.
The quality is fine, I just wanna see a top view of it up close. Does the clutch bell touch the spur gear at all?
Old 08-22-2008, 01:26 PM
nitro rc

[/quote]

I didn't know that but should have. Thats a good deal (I wonder if it tells you what the engines really cost). I will take advanage of this with my used savage thats coming in. Thats worth it for a new engine.
[/quote]
ya they say 1/2 price but it really isn't. you can buy the G3.0 for 100 and 65 isn't half of that. The same with the traxxas engine replacement. They say 1/2 price but it really isn't.
Old 08-22-2008, 02:14 PM
nitro-rob

Sorry, when I get close there isn't enought light. This is the best I can do. The slipper clutch assembly touches the clutch bell at one spot only - where the teeth mesh. If you have contact anywhere else something is wrong.

[img][/img]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk27618.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	1016817  
Old 08-22-2008, 03:45 PM
tomcatguy74
My Feedback: (4)

I just want to say that I love bad weather and storms but this Tropical Storm Fay is a pain in my left butt cheek!![:@] I have not been able to run my Storm(no pun intended) ever since this thing has been lingering around my state!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.