RC Nitro Stadium Trucks Discuss all aspects of rc nitro stadium trucks here

-=OFFICIAL HPI FIRESTORM THREAD=-

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2009, 11:11 PM
wileecoyote
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: -=OFFICIAL HPI FIRESTORM THREAD=-

Torque would be the biggest advantage. The 4 stroke makes more torque lower in the rev range than the 2 stroke does. Meaning you dont run it as hard to get the thing moving. That said gas is the other advantage. No need to buy fuel other than from your local gas station. I dont think you get the power you do with the 4 stroke, as when the 2 stroke is running 20 thou some rpm you dont get quite the speed out of the four stoke. Thats where gearing would be all important. The four stoke will never rev as quick as the 2 either. Making the vehicle sluggish IMO. This would apply only to R/C as I have a four stroke dirt bike that revs and runs with the best of the 2 stroke bikes. If Iam wrong, someone here will correct me or teach me a new line of thinking as there are smarter folks than me on here that will be able to answer your question. So............anybody else?
Old 08-22-2009, 11:32 PM
nitro-rob

The small four stroke RC engines use glow fuel as well with a much lower nitro content.

The four stroke engine in an MX bike also runs a higher compression and are very aggressively tuned and set up to compete with a two stroke. The engines are a lot heavier to handle the compression as well.
Old 08-23-2009, 10:40 AM
wipeout2097

ORIGINAL: nitro-rob

The shocks are GPM on the rear and team blue star on the front, both intended for the MT2. Nothing special, just low quality aluminum Chinese/HH crap. I agree with Road Warrior - it generates a bad feeling when the head of a new engine scratches and the protection provided by the straps and fuel line gives extra insurance. I don't drive on asphalt often and it doesn't matter as much, but you can see the damage on mine in the photo from the one time I did.

Wipeout - I don't know why that is happening.....stupid question, but are you hitting reply or quote to an old message when you want to post photos instead of writing a fresh message?
Hi NITRO, thanks for the answer, It looks that it's an issue with my browser (Safari on a Mac) and the settings for the message editor, i switched to the WYSIWYG editor and the option is visible again (albeit with some display issues).
Here are some pics.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge95663.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	103.3 KB
ID:	1261399   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw71558.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	103.5 KB
ID:	1261400  
Old 08-23-2009, 12:00 PM
nitro-rob

Looking good - how is the stock gearing working for you?

Jube - I have 10 coils on the front ant 16 on the back but don't go by that for your HPI springs since mine are a different thickness and diameter. I have 10 coil springs for the rear and they are way too stiff to be useful and 20 coil fronts that are so loose they are useless, too.
Old 08-23-2009, 12:20 PM
wipeout2097

Well, I fitted the optional 21T clutchbell for the firestorm until I figure out what spur and clutchbell I can fit with as little modification as possible, The current gearing is way too low and the engine has loads of torque and power so it's wheelspin all the time. 
I guess the worst thing is that it allows the engine to over rev way too easily.
However I'm very happy with the engine and the chassis and drivetrain handle all the power without issues. I shimmed the diff and filled it with 100k grease from HPI.
Anyone care to share some gearing customization ideas ?

Thanks to everybody on the forum for all the help. 
Old 08-23-2009, 03:53 PM
Tempest02

Has anyone tried fitting a lrp .18 into the storm, i had a 3.0 crap out on me. It seems like it had a air leak and i sealed it but still no luck it will run fine for about 5 minutes then just cut out . The hsn has only been leaned 1/2 turn since i have owned it
Old 08-23-2009, 05:16 PM
nitro-rob

Your only option is to switch to 1 mesh gearing. RoadWarrior modifies revo spur gears to fit and I used a TNX 35t spur gear. They are easy to install and likely just need a bearing or bushing to fit on the shaft. The only difficult part is to grind down the stock slipper plates to fit the smaller gear. I used savage slipper pads cut to fit the smaller gear.
Old 08-23-2009, 05:33 PM
nitro-rob

ORIGINAL: Tempest02

Has anyone tried fitting a lrp .18 into the storm, i had a 3.0 crap out on me. It seems like it had a air leak and i sealed it but still no luck it will run fine for about 5 minutes then just cut out . The hsn has only been leaned 1/2 turn since i have owned it
Sounds like the sleeve is worn and that the engine cuts out when it warms up from expansion.
I don't know anyone that has put an LRP in a storm but a few have done it in the MT2 thread. It should be a direct fit just make sure you have the right crankshaft (SG).
Old 08-24-2009, 05:30 AM
wipeout2097

ORIGINAL: nitro-rob

Your only option is to switch to 1 mesh gearing. RoadWarrior modifies revo spur gears to fit and I used a TNX 35t spur gear. They are easy to install and likely just need a bearing or bushing to fit on the shaft. The only difficult part is to grind down the stock slipper plates to fit the smaller gear. I used savage slipper pads cut to fit the smaller gear.
Thanks NITRO, I knew that I have to switch to 1M gearing but didn't know what brands have spurs that might fit. Traxxas parts should be available here in Romania so I'll get hold of one and a clutch bell and go for it. Could you suggest a clutchbell size if fitted let's say on 35 teeth spur? I'll do some gearing calculations myself but a starting point is helpful

Thanks a lot for the info man.

Old 08-24-2009, 07:53 AM
nitro-rob

I have 35/18 gearing on mine and don't want to go any taller. My engine isn't as hot as road warriors. This is the smallest size clutch bell you can use without hitting the transmission using a 35T spur gear and the stock mounting holes.

Check out page 188 of this thread:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_50...tm.htm#8938805
Old 08-24-2009, 09:30 AM
shori1992

me and my dad took our firestorms out over the weekend but my dad had a problem with his as it bogged down every so often it would be perfectly fine then suddenly it would bog down then be fine again its tunned nicely so its not rich as its onli started to happen anyone no wat it can be it dont switch off wen it bogs down ?????? many thanks
Old 08-24-2009, 08:46 PM
nitro-rob

My guess would be that it was on the edge of being lean and occasionally did a lean bog when the air temperature cooled a bit. Otherwise check fuel lines for pinch and blockage etc.... When it happens try going 1/4 richer. Possibly replace the plug just in case, too, especially if its the original that was used in the break-in. Another possibility is that you have an air leak that is intermittent from vibration or bumping.
Old 08-25-2009, 07:29 AM
shori1992

thanks nitro rob il check it out wen i see him next
Old 08-27-2009, 02:03 PM
hollow_point

hey guys, is there any aftermarket wing that will fit on a stock firestorm body? mine broke a little while ago, and after figuring out i cant buy just the stock one, i searched for aftermarket but didnt come across any for the firestorm. is there anyone running a non-oem wing on there truck?
Old 08-27-2009, 05:31 PM
nitro-rob

Funny you should bring this up. I decided to do nitro nates rear wing mod this week. Its located here: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_82...tm.htm#8238950

As far as replacing the rear wing with one like the stock one I havn't seen one.
Old 08-27-2009, 06:31 PM
hollow_point

wow thats sweet, thanks nitro. maybe ill give that a try
Old 08-29-2009, 11:33 PM
wileecoyote

Very interesting wing job. Not sure it will actually help with downforce. Id have to test/see it for myself. I like the look though. I would be interested to see if it made a difference in the corners too.
Old 08-29-2009, 11:54 PM
nitro-rob

Nate said it made things better, I just want it for the look, though. The 1/8 scale truggies have that style wing but there aren't any for the 1/10 scale for some reason - probably a price issue.

I havn't driven in weeks for many reasons. All my RC's are sitting ready to go, though. My XL hasn't arrived yet and I am getting annoyed. I also was a bit of a traitor and bought a used Duratrax nitro evader for almost nothing off ebay and fixed it up for the heck of it. Its easier to get time to work on trucks at night than drive during the day. Its not a bad truck for what it costs - not exactly in the same league as the firestorm but it has a much lower price point and some neat stock features that show its a well thought out truck. The engine was done in it so I put the storms G3 in it.

I bought some proline snake eyes tires and can't wait to try them out.
Old 08-30-2009, 12:41 AM
wileecoyote

I'll let you slide on the Duratrax since you stuck the g3 in it! Haha. They do have some neat ideas on them. Not the most innovative as some of their designs are clones of the Traxxas trucks. I know all too well what you mean about wrenching at night. I do it all the time to pass the evenings away in solitude. I think it actually calms me down and get a decent nights sleep after a job or two. So, you've ordered an XL? Let me know how you like it and how it compares to the SS. Im considering getting one also to back up the old Savage. I know most parts are interchangeable so it should be good quality and tough enough to handle just about anything. I have heard that the motors are prone to problems. Most seem to start when breaking in the motor. You shouldnt have any problems though as you have alot of knowledge the other guys didnt seem to have. IE (newbies) When you get it Im sure you'll give it the once over and check for loose bolts/nuts missing parts and adjustments being off from the factory. One thing that comes up alot I hear of lean conditions on the motors so you'll probably seal it up and not encounter any issues. (food for thought) Let me know what you think about it, thanks much............................Mattu
Old 08-30-2009, 09:15 AM
nitro-rob

The evader has basic CVD's, an accessible in-post servo saver and basic aluminum shocks which the storm doesn't have although none of these parts are high quality. It has stupid bearing front wheels and its own type of rear rim that requires an adapter to run normal wheels. Don't be fooled by it coming with an OS engine because its ABN constuction and just a watered down cheap version of the 15 CV-R.

I hope the XL is in decent shape. I will do a quick drive with it after a quick inspection then tear it down completely as I am in no hurry to drive it.The plan is to put in the aftermarket hop ups upon reassembly. The engine of a used truck always concerns me and I am prepared to pull it and install a picco or something. If it arrives...
Old 08-30-2009, 09:49 PM
ambassador27

Rob,
Duratrax makes a decent product, my RTX-27(Warhead) runs like a champ after sealing the engine and a Futaba HT throttle/steering servo(have switched to a 2.4 sys in all my trucks since)..
I've been on the fence between the Jato 3.3 and the Savage XL, I want both and will eventually get both, i've heard alot of negatives about the HPI 5.9 engine though, when you get it please post a review here if ya can of what you think?..
Old 08-31-2009, 12:33 AM
nitro-rob

I took the evader out today and had a great time with it. It may not be as nicely put together as the stock firestorm but performed just as well and gave as much fun for quite a few dollars less. Of course the better servos, 2.4GHz radio, other tires and the G3 probably helped. Its growing on me.

The XL will definitely not be a fuel and go truck for a while. I have heard wonderful and bad things about the engine. Actually, I just read about people saying they heard bad things about the engine and couldn't find a lot of first hand. I love my X SS - its a great performing truck that takes a beating and doesn't break. Hopefully the XL will be similar.

I think any savage versus a Jato decision should be an obvious choice.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw66454.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	227.5 KB
ID:	1266239   Click image for larger version

Name:	Db84380.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	141.7 KB
ID:	1266240  
Old 08-31-2009, 11:13 AM
wipeout2097

Here's a video of my Firestorm running on a rocky road... It was pretty hard do drive because of the slippery gravel and some rocks got into the truck and messed my spur quite a bit. Will look into a new spur/clutchbell setup.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nV9n4ZdlwJs[/youtube]
Old 08-31-2009, 11:20 AM
nitro-rob

I assume this is with the stock gearing? You've hardly hit the throttle and it rips...time to gear it taller and smooth things out. Thanks for posting the video. I need to find a camera man.
Old 08-31-2009, 01:43 PM
wipeout2097

Yeah it's almost stock gearing since I used a 21T clutchbell.
Now I'm looking at various ways of getting other spur gears on the storm because it's barely controllable since it always spins the wheels no matter what surface I'm rolling on, very powerful engine, I don't know how a big block in the storm behaves but I assume the .18TZ is the closest I can get to that while retaining small block displacement and weight.
I am trying to see now If I can fit a savage steel spur gear maybe, unfortunately I don't have one at hand to see if the inner hole of the spur fits directly onto the firestorm's spur shaft.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.