Notices
RC Nitro Stadium Trucks Discuss all aspects of rc nitro stadium trucks here

-=OFFICIAL HPI FIRESTORM THREAD=-

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 02:56 AM
j05h

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: -=OFFICIAL HPI FIRESTORM THREAD=-

With the switch bypassed its fine it works no wiggling lol Wooo. But er how do I get it to work with the switch on?
Old 10-01-2010, 07:46 AM
ro.sniper

Switch will need replacement but a deoxidizing agent in a spray also known as deoxit "might" work. They are used for cleaning oxidized electrical contacts.

Cheers,

Raz
Old 10-01-2010, 09:10 AM
j05h

Sorry my bad forgot to mention I have just put a new switch on it cause the other one had gone stiff. Would the fact I have like an extra 6inches wire now I've just looked at both cars and the one that's working is all nice and neat lol. Sorry for the dumb question radio gear really isn't really my thing lol
Old 10-01-2010, 03:58 PM
nitro-rob

I thought it may be the switch. The extra wire makes an antennae. It isn't a dumb question. 9 out of 10 times having extra wire length doesn't matter. I bet if the longer wire was rerouted you won't have a problem. The best thing to do is shorten it, though.
Old 10-01-2010, 04:38 PM
j05h

Cheers il have a go at shortening it tomorrow and route it the same as the good storm. Hopefully il have two of these beast running good lol. Do you find these engines easy to tune? I can't quite get the hang of it yet but am sure it will come to me. Just need some dry weather lol.
Old 10-06-2010, 12:05 PM
charlie_diesel

Just got my firestorm!! It's my first brand new hobby level type RC and I was STOKED!!

First the antenna pipe set was missing from the kit, tried to contact HPI a couple of times to get them to send me a replacement, they where rude and unhelpful and ended up having to buy a replacement from my LHS after waiting a week for HPI.

So now i finally got my missing part (at my expense) and went to start the first step in the break in.

Fueled it up got my charged glow plug ignitor ready and went to crank her over! I so couldnt wait to hear that engine roar to life! But no luck, pulling on the pull starter i hear a metel on metal type sound and the pull start is VERY hard to pull, removed the glowplug thinking i might of over primed it and tried again. Excat same thing, too much tension on the pull string and a metal on metal "clank: as i pull.

So here i am looking at my brand new $250.00 dollar paper weight.

Anyone know what the problem could be?

(sorry about the rant but it felt good to let a little steam off)

Old 10-16-2010, 04:11 PM
cazper51

ORIGINAL: charlie_diesel

Just got my firestorm!! It's my first brand new hobby level type RC and I was STOKED!!

First the antenna pipe set was missing from the kit, tried to contact HPI a couple of times to get them to send me a replacement, they where rude and unhelpful and ended up having to buy a replacement from my LHS after waiting a week for HPI.

So now i finally got my missing part (at my expense) and went to start the first step in the break in.

Fueled it up got my charged glow plug ignitor ready and went to crank her over! I so couldnt wait to hear that engine roar to life! But no luck, pulling on the pull starter i hear a metel on metal type sound and the pull start is VERY hard to pull, removed the glowplug thinking i might of over primed it and tried again. Excat same thing, too much tension on the pull string and a metal on metal "clank: as i pull.

So here i am looking at my brand new $250.00 dollar paper weight.

Anyone know what the problem could be?

(sorry about the rant but it felt good to let a little steam off)

I would say seems kinda normal to me. They are very had to pull and get going at the start but after a couple tanks the will be much easier and no more blisters. I had the same problem along with it would not stay running and now it is broke in great and no issues. Every time I prime it it still sounds like metal on metal. Just make sure your glow plug is still good. and play with the throtal a little when you are trying to get it going. Also make sure to set it up like they say in the video. Hope this helps.
Sorry not a nube even though this is my first post just found this site as I am trying to figure out in anyone has put a K4.6 in to a Firestorm yet. I kinda want to go big block and noticed you did not have an answer yet.

Old 10-18-2010, 08:25 PM
HpiTrax383
My Feedback: (2)

i just put a trx 3.3 in my firestorm and was wanting to know if anyone has done this too? if so whats your gearing set up
Old 10-18-2010, 08:58 PM
rynostc

i have an Hpi firestorm flux and I want to put the rpm tie rod ends and t4 titanium tie rods on it cause the stock ones r pretty bad. i oredered them up but the only problem is that the hpi ball studs are 4.8mm and the rpm ends are made for 4.3mm. I know that associated and losi have the correct ball studs but i wanted to know which ball studs can be used to replace the stock that r 4.3mm.
Old 10-18-2010, 11:04 PM
nitro-rob

Charlie - its hard to tell if you have regular tightness or there is a problem. It should be tight going through the compression stroke even with the glow plug out.

Road Warrior runs a 3.3 in his firestorm. As far as gearing goes you likely aren't going to get it tall enough since there is only one spur gear for the truck and you can only go so far by changing the clutch bell. You can use a revo or TNX spur gear and convert to 1M gearing and have a wider range of taller gearing available. Check around page 180 or so (I think 189).

Big blocks have been common in firestorms but I havn't heard of a k4.6 being in one. I had one in mine briefly but didn't drive it before going back to a .21. Most big block conversions have been with .21's.
Old 10-18-2010, 11:05 PM
nitro-rob

ORIGINAL: rynostc

i have an Hpi firestorm flux and I want to put the rpm tie rod ends and t4 titanium tie rods on it cause the stock ones r pretty bad. i oredered them up but the only problem is that the hpi ball studs are 4.8mm and the rpm ends are made for 4.3mm. I know that associated and losi have the correct ball studs but i wanted to know which ball studs can be used to replace the stock that r 4.3mm.
This is better asked in the e-firestorm thread. I think DarksiceVR can help you with this since he just did an upgrade to his flux.
Old 10-22-2010, 10:44 AM
Track Designer

These are actually pritty sick, i got it a few months ago the only prob is the tuning, i feel im ok with tuning but this one is giving me hell!!!
Old 11-02-2010, 09:33 AM
nitro-rob

For those interested, there are two shows in Toronto this weekend located very close to each other. I will be there with some other people from RCU. If you want to meet up there let me know.

http://www.thehobbyshow.com/Hobby_Show.html
http://torontohobbyshow.com/location/
Old 11-07-2010, 12:03 AM
tails13

I'm hoping some of you guys can help me.

I've had a firestorm for a few months now, but I've been struggling with an air leak. I've sealed (almost) everything and tested it all. Backplate, carb base, needles, cooling head, header everything is primo with no bubbles at all. How ever the other day I checked something I hadn't checked before which was the rotary valve (the part that connects to the throttle servo and is covered by a dust cover). 

I had bubbles forming around the rim of the dust cover and I could even hear the leak. I'm assuming this is the culprit. But my question is, how do I seal it? As it's a moving part I can't just chuck on some RTV in the joints and it will secure the valve which needs to move to open the carb.

I checked it after removing the dust cover also and it's coming from a space between the valve and the main body of the carb. The valve constantly turns against the body with throttle.

Do you think some thick, heavy clutch grease would work to seal this? Is it a common place for air leaks (as I haven't found much around the internet on it)?

Because of this leak I've been running the needles about a quarter out from stock, so relatively rich. The tune fluctuates, sometimes running rich to the point of spitting excess out the exhaust and then sometimes briefly showing lean signs such as no smoke. It's pretty frustrating. 

Hope some one here can help....
Old 11-08-2010, 10:35 AM
nitro-rob

Some leaking around the barrel is normal. I checked it previously with my G3's and the leaking hasn't effected performance especially but if you have too much because of excessive wear then its a problem. You can seal it with vaseline or thick grease that won't restrict the barrels movement.
Old 11-08-2010, 04:41 PM
charlie_diesel

Thanks for the info, sorry for the late reply but ive been busy.

but just wanted to tell you and nitro rob thanks for taking the time and giving me some advice!

BTW: the firestorm runs great now, it has been bounced of off, crashed into and went trough almost every obsticle in my neighborhood and still runs like a champ! The only problem i have with it is how fast i got through quarts of fuel!

I highly reccomend this truck to anyone, fast. easy to tune/maintian and takes on hell of a beating!

and thanks again for the info guys!
Old 11-09-2010, 10:40 AM
nitro-rob

So was there a problem with your storm in the end or was it okay. I am glad you are enjoying it.
Old 11-09-2010, 11:30 AM
charlie_diesel

Nope the only problem i ened up haveing with my firestorm was that the antenna set was mising from the package, HPI sent me a new on took a little over a week but was very happy in the end.

Iwas told that they have tapered heads instead of ringed so they just fit very tight and that new nitros have a TONof compresion when new.

I loosened the glowplug until it was easy to pull the pullstart, once it was running i retightend the glow plug and she hasnt stopped running since.

By FAR my fav car of the 3 i currently own. Thinking about getting a savage for xmas tho and man do those look like fun trucks!

Thanks again for the help its nice for us new guys to be able to go somewhere and get tons of help via PM's and forums so thanks guys and RC universe

Old 11-10-2010, 02:08 PM
nitro-rob

Savages are great trucks. Tough as nails. I highly recommend it.
Old 11-10-2010, 06:16 PM
charlie_diesel

after a hard crash my steering servo doesn't seem to be working as well.

I tried to look for the SF-1 replacement servo and it seems to be discontinued.

Just wanted to know if anyone knew of any good/well priced (Im a basher not a racer) replacement servos, or if there is a known fix for this type of problem.

SYMPTOMS: When there is little to no weight on the front end the steering seems to have full range in both directions. but when placed flat on the ground the wheels only slightly move. I have checked the d/r and it is currenlty at the most sensitive setting. I also looked at the servo and servo linkage and it seems to all be in place un-cracked and in working order (when no weight is on the front end the wheels have full motion when turning).

If there is any more info i missed please let me know.

and thanks for any help or info that you can give.

-C
Old 11-11-2010, 12:35 AM
nitro-rob

Are you sure the servo saver nut isn't just loose and the steering isn't just slipping? Is the steering servo turning the full amount but its not translating to the wheels?
Old 11-12-2010, 04:03 PM
charlie_diesel

"Is the steering servo turning the full amount but its not translating to the wheels? " after checking again this is the problem im having

the servo does have full range of motion and i do see the servo arms fully turning also.

so im guessing my servo is fine but somthing in the steering is broke. I'll take her apart this weekend and check all the steering arms and connecters.

Old 11-12-2010, 06:15 PM
nitro-rob

Its likely your servo saver nut. It holds a spring in that controls the amount of slip the steering servo cam has in it. Its common to go loose and needs to be treated with loctite. I have had the bolt on top of the saver apparatus push through its housing as well so look out for that.
Old 11-12-2010, 11:43 PM
charlie_diesel

Thanks rob ill make sure to look at that this weekend!

again thanks for all the help the LHS here is only open 3pm-9pm so its hard for me to get up there to ask questions.
Old 11-13-2010, 01:02 AM
nitro-rob

No problem. A forum that specializes in your truck is the best place to get answers. There are so many RCs out there its hard for the locas shop guys to be truly knowledgeable about everything. I ordered an integy steering setup for my e-storm and will let you guys know what its like when it arrives.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.