Notices
RC Nitro Stadium Trucks Discuss all aspects of rc nitro stadium trucks here

-=OFFICIAL HPI FIRESTORM THREAD=-

Old 05-05-2011, 02:23 PM
Road Warrior
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: -=OFFICIAL HPI FIRESTORM THREAD=-

Got the clutch springs today and found what looks like a great spot to get a video of the dirt truck. I also took the head from the 8p race and drilled it out and cut it down to the holes so the turbo button fits on the stock head. Nobody will know by looking at the motor what it is packing inside.
Old 05-05-2011, 07:21 PM
Road Warrior

In the process of doing the clutch springs I decided to finaly break down and run the picco. So the comparison can be done between the two. Not sure how the picco will run it has so much pinch that heat is necessary in order to start it. Plus comparing a $135 hyper to a $550 picco is shooting pretty high. The picco should walk up and down the hyper.
Old 05-06-2011, 11:28 AM
Road Warrior

Started the picco and only got 5 tanks through before the rain came in. It is acting like there is a air leak but can't find one. The idle is good bottom is slow and fades out in the middle with no top while blowing enough smoke to gag you with normal temps. I am going to wait for a better day and really get on it. I know the break in for theese is almost a gallon just wish I know the previous history. It looks and seems almost brand new.
Old 05-06-2011, 11:48 AM
Fuel Crazy

interesting. Ive pretty much found the max for this Hyper.. which is right at around 63mph. Killed my last 41t spur yesterday, so had to modify some stuff to adapt the 37t spur i have. Got a best of 63.2 but the pic didnt come out readable..did get one at 62.9 though. I could have pushed the pipe in to try getting a little more rpm out of it, but it didnt sound like it wanted to turn anymore with a 6.01 final. Gonna tear the motor apart tonight and put the new crank in it with this other 8 port that has a much tighter pinch. Mess with it one more time before going back to the old setup.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ro41674.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	1605061  
Old 05-07-2011, 07:50 PM
NeedForNitro

Hello All. The FireStorm had been discontinued for awhile. Kinda made me sad as it is a great truck. HPI has now came out with a new and improved FireStorm that comes with a 2.4 GHz radio system. It looks pretty much the same except for the chrome wheels and the 2.4 GHz system. I am happy it came back though as it was getting somewhat difficult to find certain parts for. I actually upgraded to the 2.4 GHz system before this truck even came out. They took my idea. Click the link to check it out. I'm glad this truck wasn't just another one of those good trucks that eventually just die and then - - No more parts.
http://www.hpiracing.com/kitinfo/105865/
Old 05-07-2011, 08:29 PM
nitro-rob

I don't think the truck was discontinued, it was always on HPI's website and in the tower magazine.  The discontinuing and reissuing is common when they change things.  The e-firestorm and savage had the same thing happen recently.
Old 05-07-2011, 08:39 PM
NeedForNitro

It says Discontinued at TowerHobbies.com. You can't buy the old one, only the new one. That's why I thought it was Discontinued.
Old 05-07-2011, 09:07 PM
nitro-rob

The upgrades are nice, though. I wonder if it got the waterproof servo of the new e-firestorm? The darker head on the G3 looks cool.
Old 05-09-2011, 12:07 PM
herK

Hello Guys!

Anybody tried HPI MT shells on E-firestorm? I'm really sympathize with 7174 Ford F-350 shell:

http://www.hpiracing.com/press/pr7174.htm

Will it be fit on the storm?

Thanks

Old 05-09-2011, 01:46 PM
Road Warrior

Herk.....Even though you are a ford guy it will fit the truck. It might bring down the value a notch but it is a great body. I use the mt shells on the nitro storms.

The 2.4 is nice depending on the manufacturer. Some companys you are better off with stock am setup. I would have perfered if they would have redesigned it to get rid of the plastic front clip. I understand what they were trying but it is a whole lot easier to replace a arm than completely disassemble the front of the truck to replace 1 plastic part. Other than that it is hard to improve something that is already good to begin with. It would be asking a little much to get a more powerful motor. The stock 3.0 on the hot sauce meter is ketchup.
Old 05-19-2011, 01:19 PM
Fuel Crazy

Well havent messed with the Storm much. Got the other motor built for it, just havent put it in yet. Was racing boats last weekend and had this happen..figured id show.

Wires on the voltwatch were bare were it was soldered to the board. They ended up rubbing and shorting out. This was inside a wood outrigger hull. Glad i found it when i did, cause if it would have went up in flames..there would have been alot of damage since there was about $10,000 worth of wood boats sittin near it.

Name:	Qo39107.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	1611397  
Old 05-19-2011, 05:44 PM
Road Warrior

Thats a sweet battery pack you got there Will. I did get a chance to run the storm today but unfortunantly the barreries died in the drag truck so I ran the 3.3 truck instead. Still did not get a chance to get a video of it in action. It is a absolute beast even with the slipper slipping pretty good the front tires are on the ground only half of the time. I have a 38 revo and a 17 axial combo tht works pretty good for both top and bottom. Tomorrow I will get the drag truck out again and give the on road picco one last chance to redeam itself brfore it gets replaced with the hyper. I went through the p7 and made sure there is no air leak and everything is ship shape
Old 05-20-2011, 04:14 PM
Road Warrior

The picco is still having problems and I can't figure it out. It is finaly loose enough that I got the piston to come out of it and I found out that the rod was on backwards and the bearing at the top was half way out on it. Put a new rod on the right way and a new carb from a lrp and it still is running like a air leak. The temp skyrocket and blows smoke like crazy but wont spin the foams from a stop.
Old 05-21-2011, 03:58 AM
djyjrlz

anybody tried a blitz coversion on a storm... i have a rolling chassis at the moment because the old engine just sorta ran out of power. and reccomendations for a new mill would be nice :P
Old 05-21-2011, 01:27 PM
Road Warrior

djyjrlz.....What do you intend on doing with the truck. I have a g3 with the crank done up and a modified pipe/header if you were interested in keeping it somewhat stock. Judging how much tire was left on the truck and the pinch left it has a quart of fuel through it maybe. Almost everybody in here has a g3.0, 18tz, or a 3.3 for a small block big blocks vary to what your heart desires. Price to power a tz or a 3.3 would be best bang for your buck.

I did some changes to the drag storm today and am quite happy with it. I milled out the head to accomidate for the turbo button and raised a few ports on the sleeve. It gave it a more power than before and is enough to keep the fronts from ever touching the ground till you let off.
Old 05-21-2011, 07:09 PM
nitro-rob

The blitz conversion isn't much of a challenge, you just need to change the tub and add the bumpers.  That is for the electric, though.  You can do this with a nitro using an aftermarket chassis.  Extreme racing makes CF kits that will convert your storm to a blitz.  The chassis are really nice, I run it on an e-storm.
Old 05-23-2011, 10:47 AM
Fuel Crazy

Well heres my storm back in drag mode. This is my other drag modded 8port, cut down head just to let it build heat quicker, running the big carb. Gonna test it with this head and the turbo button. Back with the HPI diff & 2spd setup, ditched the stock tank using a Sullivan 1oz tank and moved the battery back behind the axle again. Wheelie bar isnt done yet, but works good enough for now.

Ran it a little while ago and its a monster for 132ft. Need to play with the tune more and the shift point, but it pretty much stays on the wheelie bar for a good 70-75ft (still going straight). Runtime is very short with the 1oz tank and this motor, but that doesnt bother me. Will try getting some video later this week.

Name:	Xv64563.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	1613492   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mi21787.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	1613493   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fk17095.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	104.3 KB
ID:	1613494   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ex68173.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	106.1 KB
ID:	1613495   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pa34705.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	107.5 KB
ID:	1613496  
Old 05-23-2011, 10:52 AM
mercerbeef

Has anyone tried this pipe? looking for a new pipe for my storm. I got one awhile back from a friend but it don't fit right, keep blowing header gaskets

http://rdlogics.3dcartstores.com/Par...hed_p_757.html

or

http://www.vantageracing.com/site/v2.../SE120L-08.jpg

hell of a nice storm FC
Old 05-23-2011, 03:17 PM
Road Warrior

The dual exhaust pipe is mainly just for looks and is a real turd for performance. Never heard anything about the vantage but have seen alot of people run them. What happened to the stock header? It shouldn't be blowing gaskets as long as tightened down right. I would just drill out the stock pipe and port the header. Unless you buy a better motor the better pipe will be just for looks.

The storm is looking good Will. Are you running this motor a little bit safer than the last one. I know how you like to keep it on the ragged edge.

I am officialy done with the panthers. The double foam didn't seem to help the balooning out at all. I got my brother to come out with his jato that I modded and we never even had a chance to run them. The gearing is a little much for 132 and better for top speed having those on. Since we were in a bigger parking lot I actualy had a chance to open her up and it did not go well at all. The weelie bar worked great till it did a cart wheel at about 60 so that one killed the bar. After that it was all over with I couldnt get it past 40 without it wanting to flip on the lid so I pulled the wing off and it didn't make a diference. I eneded up getting angry at the whole thing not working out and tried a top speed run just going easy on the gas. Didnt matter it got to about 65 and just took off like a plane I ended up breaking the wing mount, wheelie bar, and the front end completely off on the last pass. Oh and the whole time it keeps on spitting the dogbones out when you open her up. Nothing is broke and the turnbuckles are captured so it has me confused.
Old 05-23-2011, 03:31 PM
mercerbeef

is there alot of play in the dogbones? could be the rubber orings or the out drives worn? axel bearing shot? on my e-storm the inner axel bearing was completely destroyed and the dogbone flopped around till the outer got damaged enough then it fell out.
Old 05-23-2011, 03:40 PM
Fuel Crazy

haha no im not taking it easy. I actually blew it up a little while ago. Broke a piston. Sleeve is ok, just got done test firing it again.
Old 05-23-2011, 05:52 PM
Road Warrior

Noting is broke and I have pieces of fuel tubing cut into little squares on each side of the dog bone. They are held in and do not move from side to side since it has stiff springs and 1 inch of ground clearance.

I suppose it is a good thing that hyper lot had enough to do a few rebuilds then. I have only maxed out the rpm in mine for maybe a second before letting off.
Old 05-23-2011, 06:15 PM
Road Warrior

I am pretty sure that even though the piston will fit right in the sleeve it sill needs a small break in period. As you seen the pistons and sleeves get out of round. Think thats why I broke some too since they were not the original matching set. Unless the motor is over done and is exceeding the limits of the Tiawaneese parts inside can handle. But I have not had a single problem with my motor and it is mod for mod matched to yours. Except the newly raised ports inside of the one I got.
Old 05-23-2011, 08:04 PM
Fuel Crazy

This one broke the skirt off the piston. Not sure why, i found nothing else wrong inside. Its likely due to the tune i keep on these though im sure and how quick it turns up the rpm.

I pulled the engine back out, and built another tonight. Its pretty much a stock 8port just mild porting with a stock carb modded for the remote needle (new piston/sleeve set i bought). I already broke in this set a good bit though it still has a strong pinch. Gonna try gettin some video of it tomorrow. I expect the truck to calm down a bit with it, hopefully not break anything. With the way i have the truck setup now, the balance is quite far back...so the panthers on my unprepped road still hook pretty hard. I have had a little issue with it getting some wheel hop when it hits 2nd gear, probably due to how stiff i have the rear.

If you can get the tires off without killin em, strap the tire with duct tape then put back together. I get pretty much no ballooning for 132 stuff. When i had it setup for the speed runs, they were ballooning a bit at 60+..but nowhere enough to cause any handling issues.
Old 05-26-2011, 06:46 AM
Fuel Crazy

well i was gonna get some video, but i was testing in my driveway and ended up busting the hpi diff, which was quite interesting as it was basically just a spool (i gut it out, welded the output shafts to the housing). So for now im back with the Duratrax diff which is also spool'd with the single speed on 41t spur.

It still launches pretty good but its definetely alot calmer with this Hyper being close to stock. Hopefully it wont eat teeth as the duratrax diff has plastic gear. Will take it down to the road later today and see how it does in 132ft.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.