RC Nitro Stadium Trucks Discuss all aspects of rc nitro stadium trucks here

-=OFFICIAL HPI FIRESTORM THREAD=-

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 04:35 PM
Fuel Crazy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: -=OFFICIAL HPI FIRESTORM THREAD=-

I am back to single speed. After busting 2 HPI (locked) diff's, i got rid of the HPI rear all together and am using the rear out of a Duratrax truck (3.25 gear) that i narrowed about 1". With this rear im able to choose from a much wider range of gearing now, and currently have it setup with a 7.67 final (20 pinion, 47 spur) as this let it peak alot sooner, and was doing better for 132ft running.

Motor is doing good since the truck has been apart. I started fighting bad issue with it wanting to go left hard right off launch, and it ended up being the chassis bent real bad, so i got another and have just been slowly putting it back together, and trying to brace it as much as i can to try keeping it from happening again. And im also changing it up, as the new chassis has absolutely no suspension.

I put together another Hyper with one of the 8port sleeves that was real tight, using stock crank and have it in my RS4 and just been beating on it. Soon as the gearing comes off backorder for it, im gonna put the good motor in and see how fast i can get it to go.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca82552.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	121.6 KB
ID:	1631941  
Old 07-05-2011, 06:49 PM
Road Warrior

Looking good Will. The pipe is hurting the performance a little though. These little demons need a good pipe to wake up instead of that rtr ofna muffler. I also seen that in the rs4 thread your kind of on the 3.3 thing in there. IMO between the hyper you have and the 3.3 done up the best I can with the 8mm carb and on road pipe with a little better timings. The 3.3 is absolutely wicked but it is a real smooth strong pull that keeps on going from the bottom to top as seen in the video. On the other hand the Hyper is a real hard hitting beast that just seems to break parts in the driveline.

I raised some of the ports on the sleeve in my motor and maxed the timings. With the truck as low as possible it just takes flight after 65. I also keep throwing dogbones on take off and can't figure out why. Nothing is broke and there is fuel line that keeps the dog bones tight so side play is gone.

I am also in the works of doing some tests with a jato again. The top speed of my modded 3.3 compared to the Hyper. Right now with stock gearing and the modded 3.3 without the 1/8 scale parts it is doing 70 with plenty of head room. The gearing is going to be changed and see what comes of the 2. The 3.3 is going to be first because I am pretty sure the Hyper is going to destroy the trans. Just waithing to get the jato back.
Old 07-05-2011, 08:20 PM
savagecommander

youre throwing dogbones from suspension flex. youre laying down too much power too fast- i dont think the fuel tube will hold the bones in against the motor. try getting a set of aluminum lower a arms.
Old 07-07-2011, 04:49 AM
Fuel Crazy

He does have aluminum control arms on his Hyper Firestorm.

Tim, i agree the pipe isnt the best, but after i opened the stinger up a bit, it has produced speeds quite close to my MAC's marine pipe. I did pick up some novarossi pipe for the RS4, just havent stuck it on yet as i need a better header setup, just havent found one yet that looks like it will keep the pipe in the same position (putting the pipe to the right side is out of the question... have to mount it too high to clear the tire)
Old 07-12-2011, 03:14 PM
dchomie87

It has been a long while since I've last logged in, but i got out the storm for the first time yesterday after it sat for a whole year and it started on first pull I was amazed but my victory was short lived within the first half hour I smashed it into a parking block and annihilated the whole front end of the truck. I need new front complete bulkhead kit, servo saver set, upper deck, and shock tower. I am debating on whether getting all new aluminum or stock, aluminum $165 total from integy or stock crash kit from ebay $65 with shipping and that includes an aluminum brace for the upper deck. Sorry no pics but for those who want details, I lined up a jump punched it hit about 70% full speed stock motor and diff, then the rear end hit gravel and the truck darted to the left and into the curb...any suggestions
Old 07-12-2011, 05:55 PM
Road Warrior

I would get as much rpm and stock stuff as you can. The aluminum looks nice but will egg out and give you a bunch of unwanted slop in the front end. I am currently in the market to get everything it takes to do 2 trucks with all new parts. The aluminum that is on my street truck is so loose it makes the truck hard to drive at speeds. Plus it's half the price
Old 07-13-2011, 06:12 AM
nitro-rob

I agree with Road.  I run RPM arms and was running aluminum bearing steering blocks and carriers and they got sloppy really fast.  There isn't a high quality aluminum set out there.  I am waiting for my RPM replacements in the mail.

Old 07-13-2011, 09:04 PM
dchomie87

The only bad thing about that tho is the fact that arms are pretty much the only rpm product I can find. I didnt see any bulkheads or any other things I needed to get it running again. One other question does the 3 piece savage clutch really improve take off that much?
Old 07-14-2011, 02:36 PM
Road Warrior

Look on ebay or rpm's web site. They do make a few more pieces. The 3 shoe is more of a reliability thing. The stock spring is easy to break and yes it will grab better.
Old 07-16-2011, 03:24 PM
dchomie87

I have broke 3 stock clutch springs so far I just didnt know if the upgrade was worth it. I have not looked on ebay for rpm tho I will.
Old 07-16-2011, 04:45 PM
Road Warrior

It is all a highly recomended upgrade. The Firestorm is a cheaper truck to buy so some of the parts on the truck are cheaper. Not that it is a bad truck. The clutch is just one of those parts.
Old 07-18-2011, 04:02 PM
dchomie87

I will add that to the list of parts I must buy then.
Old 07-18-2011, 09:12 PM
nitro-rob

Oh yeah, the savage 3-shoe is a no brainer.  If you want to try something more exotic try a losi 8 or 8t four shoe flywheel and clutch setup.  They are not much more and are available on ebay.
Old 07-26-2011, 12:21 PM
speed lover

Ok guy I've had my firestorm for a few years gona get it back on the road. I sold the engine and got a new O.S 26 four stroke. Got a few upgrades on it alloy arms carbon top deck 3 shoe clutch can't remember if it was a 23 or 24 tooth clutch bell. Just ordered these
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...nt-Shock-Tower

http://www.integy.com/st_prod.html?p...87&p_catid=252
4 shocks

Aleady got this
http://www.integy.com/st_prod.html?p...33&p_catid=252

Gona have to make and engine mount though will get some photo's up when they come. Had some hot racing I think that's what there called alloy arms the back ones rubbed on the axles gona get some better ones like edit or something.
Old 07-26-2011, 02:17 PM
JUBE

niceee´orderssssssss, put photos when you put on the fire...
Old 07-26-2011, 02:59 PM
speed lover

Yeh I'll get them on as soon as I get them but that will be about 4 weeks. Also gona have to gear the thing up really high as the four stroke tops out as standard at around 18,500 rpm integy have got some nice spur gears though will try some of them. I thought this car was slow when I got it but the exhaust pipe hpi sell and opening up that header matched with the 21 tooth clutchbell this thing really goes. Gona sell the rest of my cars and keep this one. I would'nt recomend one as it's fragile in stock form but great fun. Would like to see some pics of some of the cars from this forum see if there is any new idea's or mods out there been out of touch with this thing for a long time now.
Old 07-26-2011, 04:25 PM
nitro-rob

It would be the first four stroke conversion.  I am looking forward to seeing the pics and video of it running.   Welcome.
Old 07-26-2011, 04:33 PM
speed lover

I won't be able to to get it running quick got some aeroplane stuff to take care of but I'm getting the parts togethher maybe someone will beet me to it hope so then I will know what to run LOL!!!
I'll make a video as soon as I've got it togethher. The O.S .30 cylinder fits the 26 so might do that I know that you need to change the carb on it for consistency and there is more power to be had out of it. I think I'll need it sa the 18 is pretty hot for a 1/10 scale truck when you get a good pipe on it. I tried to split the diff on the firestorm when I got a bearing kit for it but could'nt get it apart got alot of torque steer any tips on how to get it apart need to get some oil in there also what weight are you guys using to get more stability ? Used to 4wd when it comes to that. Thanks for the welcome
Old 08-14-2011, 12:49 PM
manzonie

is the savage 3 piece clutch a direct bolt on or is there some modification required?
Old 08-14-2011, 01:59 PM
speed lover

I got the integy flywheel and clutch I was really happy with it very durable springs are good too car does'nt drive forward and it grips well don't know about the savage though.
Old 08-16-2011, 06:32 PM
manzonie

i have a problem with removing the carb on the g3.0 engine, it seems that wrench that came with the car wont fit the nut at all, doesn anybody know how to remove the carb?
Old 08-18-2011, 11:41 AM
speed lover

Long nose pliers should do it if it has a brass nut if not a decent allan driver should do it eds drviver bits are good.
Old 08-23-2011, 03:20 PM
speed lover

Just ordered more parts for my firestorm here they are

http://www.xtremercracing.com/Store_...ue&SnipID=6245

http://www.integy.com/st_prod.html?p...85&p_catid=252

http://www.integy.com/st_prod.html?p...50&p_catid=252

http://www.integy.com/st_prod.html?p...61&p_catid=252

http://www.integy.com/st_prod.html?p...79&p_catid=252

http://www.integy.com/st_prod.html?p...46&p_catid=252

http://www.integy.com/st_prod.html?p...56&p_catid=252

Goig to get a few more things should be cool when I start to put it together never modded a car this much before should end upp with a brand new firestorm will keep you guys posted pics will come soon of the build maybe even a video of it getting build in stages if I think it will be easier. If anyones interested enough.
Old 08-23-2011, 07:44 PM
JUBE

speed lover niceeeeeeeeee order please put photos when you have all in the fire, crongratulations....
Old 08-29-2011, 05:10 PM
echthelion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

question would the e-firestorm 52t diff would in the nitro firestorm and if so it would up top end right over the stock 55t

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.