Notices
RC Nitro Stadium Trucks Discuss all aspects of rc nitro stadium trucks here

-=OFFICIAL HPI FIRESTORM THREAD=-

Old 11-14-2010, 02:02 PM
charlie_diesel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: -=OFFICIAL HPI FIRESTORM THREAD=-

Awesome looking forward to your update!

And it was the servo saver nut that was giving me my problems, steering feels tighter and more responsive then ever!
Old 11-17-2010, 12:53 PM
Vava®

Hi,
I had having some problemas with adjust of the shock. The preload collar set dont turn left or right.
This preload collar set is easy to turn with hands? How can I unlock it?

Regards

Old 11-17-2010, 01:31 PM
nitro-rob

They should move very easily with normal finger pressure. All your shocks are doing this? Can you post a photo of your shocks?
Old 11-17-2010, 11:19 PM
charlie_diesel

Time to replace my tires, would something like this fit?

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXAEJP&P=Z

I'm looking for an all terrain type tire.

thanks

Old 11-18-2010, 07:19 PM
a2zrestoration
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

Hey guys, New to the the site, But i just purchased a Firestorm, And was just wondering what i to and not to look foward to.
I dont have much experience in cars. I had a few when i was younger but i mostly fly RC Airplanes.
Is it much difference in tunning plane engines and cars?
Also the truck i bought is used. I got a good deal on the price. But the starter is out. And he lost the one way,
You might of seen the add here. Were can i get the one way bearing and i think i just want a pull start.
But i found a starter box for $35 but ive never used one. Would that be a better option?
Thanks

Old 11-18-2010, 08:24 PM
nitro-rob

Welcome. I highly recommend going through the previous 100 or so pages of the forum. Its a bit of reading but go through it for the benefit of a better experience. You will see certain things coming up again and again - two main things are the servo saver nut goes loose and needs loctite and the clutch spring is weak and people usually put a savage clutch in it once it goes.

Since your truck is used make sure the engine has compression. You can check that by turning the flywheel against the compression part of the stroke and see if it slides through (bad) or will hold pressure (good). Be sure to after run your engine as well to make it last and when the engine stops put the piston at the bottom of the stroke and not the top before it cools. This will increase the engine life dramatically.

I don't know how adept you are at this so if I've said a bunch of stuff you don't understand just ask for clarification.

Roadwarrior (where are you man?) uses a bump box for his storm and he had to widen the access hole in the chassis a little for it to work. I didn't use one on the storm but I prefer it on all RCs. I also recommend getting a power panel for the bump box. They are about 20 dollars and you can run a glow ignitor off it and adjust the glow power. I use a battery in my field bag and have the glow ignitor and power to the bump box coming off of it. One charge on that battery per summer.

Is there anyone following this forum that remembers Nitronate?
Old 11-23-2010, 02:43 AM
tails13

Here is my little bumble bee firestorm...

An OS 18 CVRX is on its way to mine now from Tower, hopefully I'll have it in some time next week. Everything else is stock besides the servos (and body obviously). 
Old 11-25-2010, 06:40 PM
nitro-rob

I like the bug body a lot. Is that proline? What truck is it meant for?
Old 11-25-2010, 09:02 PM
tails13

It's the Proline Baja bug body. It's meant for Savages and Revos. 

Here is the link...

It was pretty easy to fit on, just moved the rear body posts to the front and bought some extra body posts from an on road car for the rear. The wheel base was perfect. It didn't need any modifications at all. 

It just means I can't start it with the body on. 
Old 11-26-2010, 10:35 PM
rc awesome

I was thinking about getting one of these trucks are they durable and easy to tune, i've allready had one bad aexperiance with a nitro.
Old 11-26-2010, 10:38 PM
rc awesome

I was thinking about getting one of these trucks are they durable and easy to tune, i've allready had one bad experiance with a nitro.
Old 11-26-2010, 10:51 PM
nitro-rob

I love the firestorm - both the nitro and the electric versions. Its a good platform and a tough little truck that is starting to get a good number of mods available for it thanks to its similarity to the blitz.
Old 11-27-2010, 05:56 PM
rc awesome

so the firestorm seems like a pretty good rc. it will probably my next nitro rc.
Old 11-29-2010, 10:20 AM
JonKBMW

So like a year ago my sister was driving my firestorm and rolled it over - it had a good amount of hours on it prior, but when she rolled it it must have starved and continued to run lean and had been running for like 30 mins at this point already - anyway, it seized up. So I pulled the motor out not knowing HPI had an engine exchange program. That sounds awesome for $65 I can get a replacement and bash around again, but I took the motor apart and put it in a ziplock back and honestly I am not sure what parts to return or what they need/don't need and what the new motor will come with. Its been such a long time that I've looked at the motor that I don't remember really what is what and would have to refer to the diagrams, except I don't know what they would want.

Anyone have experience with HPI motor exchange? What do they need and what do they send back?

Thanks guys
Old 11-29-2010, 10:29 AM
JonKBMW

Also - what do you guys recommend for tires in the snow?
Old 11-29-2010, 01:46 PM
nitro-rob

I recommend the firestorm, its a good truck.

The engine exchange program has instructions on the hpi site for what to bring and not bring. I've never done it. I don't think its a good deal. You can pick up a new engine off ebay for about 100 shipped (or less if you are patient and lucky, I got one for 70 dollars once) and then you have a spare engine for parts. The engine exchange with shipping is going to cost 75 or more. You can also get the sleeve pinched on your old one if its not scored from the seizure for about 25 dollars as well and you are likely good to go again. I've don't that many times.
Old 12-23-2010, 08:14 AM
bao

So i was used to running my trucks savage and revo but i stumbled upon a firestorm going cheap and hit the button.
Ive had it about a month or so and i love it !!! 2 wheel drive is fun .
I had a couple of issues at first and soon got round them.
The first problem was the clutch, the spring breaking was a pain so i was thinking about going to a 3 shoe set up but as a quick fix i took 2 hpi composite shoes and 1mm springs and fitted them, they needed to be filed down as they are about .5mm too thick but once fitted and tested ........................... im keeping this setup.

It works amazingly and i havnt had a problem since.

i also changed the rear tires out for 2.2 badlands, although the diameter is larger than stock the engine copes very well without over heating and i get better performance/grip to boot.

that pic was taken just after a great session with the firestorm and a savage .

Next up is an os 18 cv rx 11j engine that im waiting to be delivered, the pilot shaft arrived allready and im looking forward to getting the engine, it will require a few mods like filing the supports and slightly cutting the chassis but it will be nice to have a better engine in there although im quite happy with the stock, i just love to tinker lol.

The firestorm at home with the boys.
Old 12-23-2010, 09:02 AM
Vava®

Hey BAO

What's the model of shoes and spring ? Did you get the another model from HPI?

[]s

Vava

Old 12-23-2010, 06:18 PM
bao

The springs and shoes are hpi for a savage.
Old 12-24-2010, 01:22 PM
Zack!

Hello all! i just recieved my firestorm! ive done a couple of mods such as fuel filter and heat shielding. i upgraded the battery pack (1600) and had to purchase
a switch harness so that it may plug in correctly. But this is where im having problems. The stock switch with the chord doesnt want to come out. There are two clamps
that hold part of the chord underneath the transmission that are very hard to reach. Ive triend making a hook out of a paperclip to try and pull it out but still no luck.
Im brand new to this and rather not remove the engine to reach the problem. Is there an easier way to get this done? Thanks!
Old 12-24-2010, 01:33 PM
nitro-rob

Hi Zack. Welcome. The best way to remove the wire there is to remove the transmission. I recommend just leaving the wire in it and making an adapter to attach your battery to the original wire/harness. This way things will just stay in the battery area.
Old 12-24-2010, 01:37 PM
Zack!

I dont know if i want to take the chance and remove the transmission. I dont know why they didnt recomend that at my local hobby shop. I bought an adapter for my battery charger but not to attach itseslf to the orginal wire on the car. Where do i find an adapter like that?
Old 12-24-2010, 05:22 PM
nitro-rob

I don't know what adapter your battery has but there are usually two types, one is a two prong with two prongs in it and the other, the most common, is three prong with only two prongs in it. Which do you have? I would go to the local shop and but adapters that will allow your battery to hook into your truck, whatever they are.
Old 12-24-2010, 05:49 PM
Velociraptor73

Almost midnight here in Brazil...

MERRY X-MAS EVERYBODY!!!!

Old 12-24-2010, 10:37 PM
Zack!

As my stock adapter I have two prongs. But i didnt want the standard battery pack that comes with the firestorm. So i upgraded to a chargeable battery with three prongs and two prongs in it thus purchasing
a charger with three prongs to charge correctly. The guys at the hobby shop just gave me the chargeable battery pack along with the charger that goes with it. They didnt mention any adaptors other than the
adaptor for my charger. Oh and is it possible to have a faulty glow plug on arrrival? My car doesnt seem to want to start. Ive flooded the engine a couple of times but took care of that. Seems to me it might be the glow stick or the glow plug. But both are fairly new. Thanks in advance!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.