Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 09:08 PM
nitro-rob

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: -=OFFICIAL HPI FIRESTORM THREAD=-

ORIGINAL: yakfish

ORIGINAL: nitro-rob

Get it? Is this sacrilege?
I won't be following the forum much until monday morning, enjoy the weekend. I am breaking in a savage on monday.
That looks just a little bit like my RC10GT, and I'm pretty sure that RPM doesn't make any parts for the storm yet!! how well does the body fit?

Its a nitrosport. The body fits perfectly but I have two sets of holes for both sets of mounts. It was scuffed up so quickly I decided to use it for bashing on both trucks.
I use the FS is mostly for off road and the sport is for on road. I am very biased towards the FS being my main truck of the two. The nitrosport has a 2.5r in it now but I am going to drop it to a TRX .15 to make the truck more manageable.
Old 09-25-2008, 09:13 PM
NitroNate

Nice body nitro-rob!Did you paint that yourself??
Good luck with the savage,all though you probably won't need any!That truck can take a beating like it has nothing more to do!
Old 09-25-2008, 09:41 PM
nitro-rob

Its a venom body, I have two of them with opposite colour schemes. I think you have one of these bodies with a different paint scheme. I just slapped some stickers on it and didn't even cut the windows or vents yet or install the antennae holder on it, but for now its just thrown on the truck for show between drives. I have an orange theme with all my bodies, its becoming my signature. I did buy an airbrush recently and plan on doing some painting this winter with the owner of the LHS who is quite an artist.

Hopefully some really wild stuff will get done under the hood when I get my anodization/dying process worked out. I've done it previously with stainless (not in the RC arena) and am adapting it to aluminum. Its actually pretty easy to do. I am also interested in a commercial-grade aluminum polishing technique.

The savage was a 25 ss and I did all the upgrades to make it an X (except with the X sideplates) complete with the k4.6. All you hear of these trucks is how tough they are, I am looking forward to a great monday. Eventually the Traxxass will be cleared out and I plan to stick to HPI.
Old 09-25-2008, 09:42 PM
nitro-rob

I just wanted to be post 3000! This forum is strong.
Old 09-27-2008, 11:48 AM
bigggalll

Hi guys,

My storm has only 1 week old (aroun 15 tanks) and I have a leak around the red circle on the following picture. What could I do to repair it? Only unmount the head and remount it?

I call to my local hobby shop and the guy said it is not dangerous if my engine runs well ...

What do you think about it?

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd91323.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	1041715   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb88862.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	1041716  
Old 09-27-2008, 03:15 PM
ImpalaPolicePack

hi bigggalll .. im from quebec too

i have a question with my firestorm, how can i make my air filter water proof? every time i bash where is a bit of mud my engine is bogging

and i would like to know if someone knows where to find some aluminium a-arms for the firestorm in quebec .....

thanks!
Old 09-27-2008, 05:08 PM
nitro-rob

Any leak isn't good to have. If its the head, I would retighten and if it still leaks take the head off and inspect. Are you certain its leaking there and not by the exhaust header?

ORIGINAL: bigggalll

Hi guys,

My storm has only 1 week old (aroun 15 tanks) and I have a leak around the red circle on the following picture. What could I do to repair it? Only unmount the head and remount it?

I call to my local hobby shop and the guy said it is not dangerous if my engine runs well ...

What do you think about it?

Thanks
Old 09-27-2008, 07:07 PM
NitroNate

impalapolicepack,Here is a solution to your problem: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXBF97&P=7

It might not be a direct fit,but I'm sure it wouldn't take much to get it to fit.

For aluminum a-arms,try www.neweramodels.com and see if they ship to Canada.
Old 09-28-2008, 07:04 AM
241 racing
My Feedback: (20)

Anyone have a big block in there storm?My buddy is a machinest and is making me some custom motor mounts for the storm.I'm hoping to have my 21r in there by the end of the week.I will post pics when it's done.I only hope the tranny is up to the taskThis will make it a true FIRESTORM hah can't wait.
Old 09-28-2008, 11:09 AM
NitroNate

Hpi's trannys are more than capable of taken any kind of beating!Can't wait to see some videos of the tire shredding action!
If somthing by any chance doesn't fit with the custom parts,try www.neweramodels.com and get their big block conversion kit.Good luck!
Old 09-28-2008, 06:52 PM
JamminHard2.5

hey guys i will hopefully be purchasing one by the end of next week and wanted to take it on the beach, does anyone an online store that sell's sand paddles with the foam inserts and the rims all attached and ready to use??? thank you
Old 09-28-2008, 08:40 PM
NitroNate

I was messing around with my storm and came up with an idea to see exactly how fast this thing really goes with the moabs.So,with permission from my dad,mounted his new GPS on my truck(with a zip-lock bag around it for protection).
With one pull,the engine fired and I was off.With the engine running at 230 degrees,I did a screaming high speed,WOT,pass.I then checked the max. speed on the GPS and it said 27 mph!Instanly,I knew somthing was wrong.Either poor satilite reception,or a totally messed up speed calibration.My bro then tried it with his baja 5b,but the results said 30mph top speed.My truck is at least going 47-50mph and the baja close there also.
Might try it at a differant spot next time...[&o]

Name:	Sq48372.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	155.7 KB
ID:	1042846  
Old 09-29-2008, 08:08 AM
bigggalll

Hi, I am pretty sure it is. I see some bubbles ... Now I am no more able to start it. I will not try until I fix this. Someone told me to seal it. Anyway I will go this to a shop and ask for some help.

BTW, what to you take to clean this ? Any alcool?

Also, if I try to remount some part following the instructions in the book, do you think it is a good idea? I never do that before so I am a little bit shy ....

Thanks
Old 09-29-2008, 04:13 PM
241 racing
My Feedback: (20)

I got the motor mounts today and have it mounted.I'm having a custom tranny brace being made and will get that on tommorow.I'm also having a custom throttle linkage made and should get that tommorow aswell.If all goes well it should be up and going in the next couple daysIt should be wicked for sure.Big Storm is brewing.

Name:	Hf98636.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	1043264   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gc91094.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	1043265  
Old 09-29-2008, 06:46 PM
NitroNate

Awsome!Have fun!
Old 09-29-2008, 07:09 PM
nitro-rob

Hi, I am pretty sure it is. I see some bubbles ... Now I am no more able to start it. I will not try until I fix this. Someone told me to seal it. Anyway I will go this to a shop and ask for some help.

Also, if I try to remount some part following the instructions in the book, do you think it is a good idea? I never do that before so I am a little bit shy ....

Thanks
I am not big on using sealer. The engine comes assembled from the factory without it which is a sign that these engines can be sealed without it. Sealer seems to be a way to cover imperfections - but don't quote me on this, I don't use it, leaks tell me to fix it better. I am certain others have a different opinion on this.

The manual is a great guide and the hobby is meant for this kind of tinkering, so don't be afraid to explore a bit and try to fix it.

241- that looks crazy. I definitely want to see your storm in action. I have an F4.1 engine that needs a crankshaft and bearing that, if I can find one, I may try to wedge into the storm.

Started to break in my savage today. I am going to really like that truck. I love the storm but obviously both trucks are very different. I will ikely get rid of my Traxxas trucks.
Old 09-29-2008, 08:29 PM
garzzar

ok i haven't posted in quite a while and i have a few comments and questions,

my storm is running beautifully but sad enough its just barely over stock, ive got a race tomorrow but im worried that the stock suspension is too soft, wat can i upgrade too without breaking the bank(doesnt have to be the ones hpi makes either). my moabs are in the mail but i wont have them for tomorrow.

i raced a slayer and an lst2(older one though) today and beat the pants off of both of them, man i love my FS although i would still like to have a hellfire which i prolly get next year arround summer if everything goes as planned.

nate, hotwheels makes a radar gun and it only costs like 20 bucks and it works cuz i have tried it with my car (actual car not RC) along side my buddies gokart to see how fast his kart topped out at.

241, that is a sweet rig hope everything works great
Old 09-29-2008, 09:44 PM
nitro-rob

Garzzar,
Thanks for the heads up on the radar gun.. I typed hot wheels radar gun into google and got a ton of hits and it appears to be available at Walmart. With the precise speed, dire diameter, internal and external gear ratio you should be able to get a reasonable estimate of what RPM the storm is really working at (if you want to do this easily email me and I will send you a spreadsheet that will do this).

How fast does your storm go? Can I assume from your post that you are running stock tires?

Next time I am in that area of town I will surely get one.

In a pinch can you borrow somebody's longer springs and shove them in? Its not ideal, but I once shoved in t-maxx springs and things got pretty stiff although I would like to run for too long like that since they buckled a bit.
Old 09-30-2008, 07:48 AM
NitroNate

Thanks for the radar gun reccomendation,I most certainly will look into it.

To prepare a storm for a race,slant the shocks as much as you can to get smoother turns.Also,mounting your batt. pack up on the front shock tower will add more steer traction and balance the weight.(Also,put 40wt shock oil in front and 45 or 50wt in the back)
Some behind the scenes Firestorm racers have won mains with this set-up.So go out there and whoop some boasting GT owner!
Old 09-30-2008, 06:24 PM
garzzar

well i actually won the race today, but i broke my front left A arm on the victory lap (can you say irony) so its time for some aluminum and all i got was a gift certificate to walmart.
Old 09-30-2008, 07:11 PM
nitro-rob

Congratulations. Now you can buy a radar gun at Walmart. Good to hear the storm is doing well.
Old 09-30-2008, 07:22 PM
CrysisFX

Thanks
ive had three firestorms do this as well. not sure why either. one as soon as i got it, one after a few months, and one just started doing it and its about 2 years old. i have never had any of the engines apart. i tried replacing the brass gaskets and i learned that the head screws for this car strip real easy.
Old 09-30-2008, 07:50 PM
garzzar

got my aluminum a arms from newera and some 40 shock oil from tower, man it sucks not having a HS close by, $10 for shipping plus i dont think the stuff will be in before my next race on Tuesday, would it be possible to use motor oil for a quick fix lol cuz when i wrecked i lost all the oil in the front left shock lol
Old 09-30-2008, 08:09 PM
nitro-rob

CrysisFX - why do you have three firestorms? or have you had different ones and got rid of them? Is there a chance your engine got too hot and warped a little? How strict are you with temperature?
Old 09-30-2008, 09:36 PM
bigggalll

Hi CrissusFX, how to you fix it? Thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.