RC Nitro Stadium Trucks Discuss all aspects of rc nitro stadium trucks here

-=OFFICIAL HPI FIRESTORM THREAD=-

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2009, 10:27 PM
nitro-rob

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: -=OFFICIAL HPI FIRESTORM THREAD=-

ORIGINAL: killsaurus

I just wanted to know what should i get right away for a firestorm my LHS doesn't sell much besides fuel so besides a fail safe, glow plug ignitor, extra glow plugs, extra bulkhead, extra a-arms, fuel filters, and wheels and tires. what else should i get?

Thank You Very Much Everyone.

I know I posted a question like this a page back im just repeating it because im going to be ordering it soon and just want make sure I get everything i need.
I think extra a-arms is a bit overkill. The truck is RTR out of the box so I wouldn't do too much except put a stronger metal gear steering servo in it, get a glow plug ignitor, a failsafe and fuel for now. Don't change tires until you burn through the stock ones which should take a few weeks or days. Acquire parts as you need them - I recommend finding out the frequency that orders come in to the shop. The three shops near me are a week turnaround although I buy almost everything on ebay now. Predicting what parts will break in advance will likely lead to those parts breaking last.
Old 02-21-2009, 11:49 PM
coop008

Thanks Nitro RC, I ordered some parts including a bearing. I'll see if that works when I get it.

Gavin.
Old 02-24-2009, 01:45 PM
embesh

Is it true that the gear diff doesnt seal correctly? HPI said it isnt sealed? This was subject that was supposedlya Plus for the firestorm.
Old 02-24-2009, 02:03 PM
nitro-rob

Embesh, I don't really understand what you are saying. The differentials aren't sealed in the firestorm but are inside the transmission and not open to the environment or anything. If you put loose grease in it it will slowly seep out.
Old 02-24-2009, 06:24 PM
embesh

Ive read that the tranny diff can be tuned using different weight oil. Thats why I wanted to know if it seals. Im stuck at deciding if I want the firestorm or GT2. Im leaning toward the firestorm and just want to clear up a few thoughts. Can you tell me if there is such issue of it wanting to dive forward off jumps or is that fixable with suspension work? First tenth and Im stuck on which one. I also like how the GT has the aluminum shock towers.
Old 02-25-2009, 01:43 PM
sapper ion

any rc car will want to dive off of a jump if you don't know how to control it. I take mine to the skate park and clear jumps all the time, so with allittle practice i would say no it won't nosedive

also check youtube and watch firestorm vids their is plenty of jumping on the videos that i have seen
Old 02-25-2009, 07:13 PM
nitro-rob

ORIGINAL: embesh

Ive read that the tranny diff can be tuned using different weight oil. Thats why I wanted to know if it seals. Im stuck at deciding if I want the firestorm or GT2. Im leaning toward the firestorm and just want to clear up a few thoughts. Can you tell me if there is such issue of it wanting to dive forward off jumps or is that fixable with suspension work? First tenth and Im stuck on which one. I also like how the GT has the aluminum shock towers.
The differential is not sealed but it is in a closed container. Its like many trucks and sufficient to hold heavy grease. The storm is a level jumper - no problems there but you have to know how to adjust the course with throttle and brake like any other truck.
Old 02-25-2009, 10:37 PM
embesh

So what is normal safe running temp with the stock firestorm motor. Is this the temp to where you know you have it tuned right? I would assume in top end you at least need it to clean out. Slow speed? Maybe hold a crispy idol?
Old 02-25-2009, 10:49 PM
snoopoloop

i blew a gasket on my exhust and nitro and oil went everywhere i fixed that and cleaned it up now it runs great but i have little to no breaks at all. is this because i got nitro and oil all over the pad or something different completely. any advice would help thanks.
Old 02-25-2009, 10:55 PM
nitro-rob

Likely. It happened to me once. Clean it with an organic solvent or generous soap and water.
Old 02-26-2009, 06:39 PM
embesh

Ok so back on the tranny diff. Does the whole thing have to come apart or can you get away with filling it after one bolt comes out. Some you can. Also. Should I try to get out all the stock grease or whatever is in there? Just want to get this all done right off the bat.
Old 02-26-2009, 06:40 PM
coop008

What are some good replacement engines for the Firestorm? I want to upgrade from stock but want something fairly easy to install and give a bit more power.

Any help would be great.

Thanks,
Gavin
Old 02-26-2009, 07:02 PM
nitro-rob

ORIGINAL: embesh

Ok so back on the tranny diff. Does the whole thing have to come apart or can you get away with filling it after one bolt comes out. Some you can. Also. Should I try to get out all the stock grease or whatever is in there? Just want to get this all done right off the bat.
You have to split the transmission and take the differential out. Download the manual, there is a blowup of the transmission there that shows what you have to do. The grease needs to be removed which is easy, just take the gears out and clean them. For my other trucks I split the differential and fill it with 'goof off' or degreaser and turn the gears a bit to stir and drain. Do this a few times and the differential should be clean. Dry it with a bit of cloth or q-tip and then add grease.
Old 02-27-2009, 09:37 AM
JonKBMW

Hey guys - got my Futaba 3305 servo installed - VERY nice! Much nicer than the stock servo! Its quicker and feel more torquey. Excellent suggestion for a replacement!

I also bought some other parts. I picked up these HPI wheels a while ago at my LHS for cheap, like $5. I dunno if I can use them though. They look nice, and HPI's site says they work with the Firestorm, but I can't see how.

here is whats up:

So I went about bought these:

but I am still not sure this is going to work.

Does anyone know if I can use these wheels? If not, no big deal, but I like how they look and would like to use them

Thanks all
Old 02-27-2009, 10:23 AM
nitro-rob

They may work, do they fit on the 14mm hex hub? You can buy hub adapters but it isn't ideal.
Old 02-27-2009, 10:26 AM
junville

im new to this forum and Ive been reading a lot of the threads which i find very informative. keep up the flow guys and gals.
Old 02-27-2009, 11:39 AM
nitro-rob

ORIGINAL: junville

im new to this forum and Ive been reading a lot of the threads which i find very informative. keep up the flow guys and gals.
Welcome, and THANK YOU FOR READING THE FORUM FIRST..and doing your research before asking questions. That is what it is intended for. As you read through it you will start to see the same questions coming up again and again.
Old 02-27-2009, 02:00 PM
JonKBMW

Took my truck out this afternoon and grabbed my SLR. Was a little difficult panning the SLR and driving the truck but I got a few good shots:

Old 02-27-2009, 02:42 PM
nitro-rob

I am jealous of the weather you are having. I predict the occasional window to drive will start in about a month here....I didn't realise PA was that much warmer than southwestern Ontario
Old 02-27-2009, 03:00 PM
JonKBMW

Its warmish right now - its supposed to snow on Sunday
Old 02-27-2009, 08:27 PM
NitroNate

Awsome pictures!I gotta get myself a better cam and start shooting!My cam will only take pics that look like a blur at those high speeds.
Old 02-27-2009, 10:49 PM
RCN2ZST

ORIGINAL: JonKBMW

Hey guys - got my Futaba 3305 servo installed - VERY nice! Much nicer than the stock servo! Its quicker and feel more torquey. Excellent suggestion for a replacement!

I also bought some other parts. I picked up these HPI wheels a while ago at my LHS for cheap, like $5. I dunno if I can use them though. They look nice, and HPI's site says they work with the Firestorm, but I can't see how.

here is whats up:

So I went about bought these:

but I am still not sure this is going to work.

Does anyone know if I can use these wheels? If not, no big deal, but I like how they look and would like to use them

Thanks all
These wheels will work but these are front only wheels for the rear they need to have the hex like shape molded into the wheel so you can use the adaptor you got.
Old 02-27-2009, 11:16 PM
JonKBMW

ORIGINAL: NitroNate

Awsome pictures!I gotta get myself a better cam and start shooting!My cam will only take pics that look like a blur at those high speeds.
Your camera may do it, but you have to practice. The secret to keeping the subject of an action photo clear and the the scene showing the "motion" in the frame is to pan the camera. Its tricky because you want to shoot the picture probably around 1/150 - 1/250 so you don't totally freeze action, but you also need to keep the subject centered in your view finder as you pan the camera, so you have to match the relative speed. Thats how you get the effect that the scene is moving and the car is clear and going lft to right and such. Takes some practice and I don't recommend practicing on an RC car haha - I was one hand holding my large SLR while trying to drive with my other hand!
Old 02-28-2009, 11:44 AM
embesh

Ok getting this firestorm ready to go. Couple things I notice. The a-arms on the firestorm have play. Can can you do anything to tighten that up? Maybe a bigger pin? I dont like that at all. Also that play at the tops of the shocks. I guess thats ok. Guess thats the way rtr trucks come. (Little Flimsy) Also, whats up with the red o rings in the rear dogbones. They are just squeezed in there? Mine fell out just sitting there. Havent even run it yet.
Old 02-28-2009, 04:04 PM
junville

No kidding with the weather Nitro Rob, im form Montreal and cant wait for spring. Im eager to start my rc cars, so far ive been wathcing videos on youtube to remind me how fun driving rc cars really is

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.