Notices
RC Nitro Stadium Trucks Discuss all aspects of rc nitro stadium trucks here

-=OFFICIAL HPI FIRESTORM THREAD=-

Old 04-29-2009, 03:12 PM
ro.sniper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: -=OFFICIAL HPI FIRESTORM THREAD=-

My exhaust gasket blew off before but now, its on seriously with the thread lock in place. As nitro-rob said the integy tools are key to easy maintenance and repair, you do not have to remove the engine to access the exhaust on the firestorm. For the shocks, i changed my shock oil to 35 weight and i like a whole lot more. The stock shock oil i believe is 25 weight and its way too thin.
Old 04-29-2009, 05:58 PM
cbr6fs

I've already tried thicker shock oil, problem is though the springs are just way to soft.

Filling the shocks with thicker oil just slows down the damping, not really stiffening it up.

Ideally i'd like 2 set of shock kits.

1 longer set with stronger spring for rocky off road and 1 stock length for the odd smoother off road track.
Even the stock shocks could do with stronger springs though as my car bottoms out even on very small jumps.
Old 04-29-2009, 06:40 PM
nitro-rob

I think no matter what you do the truck is supposed to bottom a fair bit, thats the trade-off for the low ride height that came from people wanting their monster trucks to be faster. I really like the GPM shocks.
If you want a taller ride try 5" tires like the badlands. You will have to put about a 15T or smaller clutch bell on, though to compensate.
Old 04-30-2009, 11:28 AM
BlindObject
My Feedback: (11)

Hey guys, I lowered the price on my firestorm on ebay, what do you guys think about the deal?
Old 04-30-2009, 11:32 AM
nitro-rob

I would keep it at that price and wait if time is on your side. Have you thought about www.kijiji.com to sell it locally? They are owned by ebay. Thats what I do with all my trucks and I get a better price because shipping is not involved.
Old 04-30-2009, 11:49 AM
BlindObject

ORIGINAL: nitro-rob

I would keep it at that price and wait if time is on your side. Have you thought about www.kijiji.com to sell it locally? They are owned by ebay. Thats what I do with all my trucks and I get a better price because shipping is not involved.
Thats very interesting, does it link the ad to the ebay item? Or is it just an ad for people to see?
Old 04-30-2009, 11:59 AM
nitro-rob

Its a separate ad with no obvious connection to ebay.
Old 04-30-2009, 01:31 PM
BlindObject

Sweet, what category would I find R/C stuff?
Old 04-30-2009, 01:46 PM
nitro-rob

Hobbies, crafts. People in my area usually search for nitro or radio control because there isn't a specific category. I sold three trucks in one day last month and only advertised two of them! The two posted trucks sold about a week after posting and I had five people seriously interested and I ended up finishing another truck up for one of the other guys. Other trucks have sat there for a few months - its hit and miss.

Try Craigs list as well.
Old 04-30-2009, 01:57 PM
BlindObject

There's absolutely none of that around my area lol!
Old 04-30-2009, 07:00 PM
CrysisFX

hi, im wondering what kind of work would be involved in fitting a .21 engine in the firestorm? ive seen people do it to 1/10 on road cars.
Old 04-30-2009, 07:35 PM
nitro-rob

This comes up a lot in this forum. New Era Models sells a big block conversion kit. http://www.neweramodels.com/cgi-bin/...0#?session_id=

If you do this you will likely start to break differentials and other tranny parts as well if the engine you install is a lot bigger than the G3 you will change the balance of the truck since its mounted to one side.
Old 05-01-2009, 11:34 AM
ro.sniper

I agree I don't think I would do it either, the truck is very light and nimble and was probably carefully calculated for weight distribution, I'd rather go with a high revving .18 OS engine if you must do a replacement.
Old 05-01-2009, 12:49 PM
Kodiac400

I want to replace my fuel lines on the Firestorm. However I'm not sure what size to get. When I look around on ebay the have small through large fuel lines. What size would the firestorm be?
Old 05-01-2009, 09:54 PM
JCMINIS

With out reading through a 166 pages could someone direct me towards a stronger better steering servo ? Mine is toast.....thks
Old 05-02-2009, 07:40 PM
cbr6fs

ORIGINAL: JCMINIS

With out reading through a 166 pages could someone direct me towards a stronger better steering servo ? Mine is toast.....thks
I upgraded to Tower Pro MG 995's.

Very pleased with them.

Cheers
Mark
Old 05-03-2009, 02:17 AM
Road Warrior
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: CrysisFX

hi, im wondering what kind of work would be involved in fitting a .21 engine in the firestorm? ive seen people do it to 1/10 on road cars.
Hey man I have a .21 on my storm and you will need big block mount the smallest 3 shoe flywheel you can get and I am running a 22t axial cb and a 34t revo spur gear. I highly recommend getting the vented graphite brake disk for a jato. You wont be able to stop after 1/3 tank if you dont. pipe and header. The weight difference is minimal and power difference is unreal. There isn't another nitro truck that will ever come close to beating you. I dont Know anybody with a road car but a my brothers Jato is glad it dont have doors if you know what i mean. Oh and the only part I have broke is nothing after about a gallon.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq48433.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	33.1 KB
ID:	1191063   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj28619.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	30.0 KB
ID:	1191064  
Old 05-03-2009, 03:01 AM
BlindObject

Wow, that storm looks serious.
Old 05-03-2009, 06:57 AM
NitroNate

I calculated your CB,spur gear,and RPMs to come up with 65mph!That is sweet stuff!
Old 05-03-2009, 08:16 AM
nitro-rob

Wow, that storm looks wild. Where is the backplate? Do you have any videos of this thing to share?
Old 05-03-2009, 04:51 PM
Road Warrior

These are pictures of it while I was waiting for the new piston and sleeve. I have new ones of it with a outlaw pipe and jaco prism tires. There is about $1000 in stuff in it but it is worth every penny. beating a two speed 3.3 is priceless in my book. No vids yet We are waiting for our other friend with a 18tz in a rc 10 to post one, should be soon I hope. With spektrum telemetary and the jaco's the highest recorded speed is was 73mph today
Old 05-03-2009, 05:37 PM
JonKBMW

But doesn't it just wheelie? I have the stock motor ported out with good tires and it stands up constantly.
Old 05-03-2009, 11:18 PM
nitro-rob

This has me thinking of what my next engine will be once the G3 is finished. What is involved in putting that spur gear on? Did you have to widen the flywheel hole in the chassis? What kit did you install the big block with? What is the truck like other than high speed runs? I find too much power on a truck makes a truck squirreley and unmanageable.

I am thinking of the OS .18 CV-R or TX but since I want an LRP in my savage and like to stay with a brand the LRP .18 seems like a good candidate.

No FS run this season yet other than the brief one that blew the exhaust gasket last weekend. The truck is ready to go but I broke in my RS4 today - what a fun ride, it was my first on experience with a nitro car. I see a problem coming with the neighbour lady. She doesn't like the RC's and told me to stop driving them once last year and swerved to hit them a few times with her car. She was outside today waving at me and making gestures. I expected her to call the cops. I see this getting worse. Time to check the local laws although I am certain its not allowed.
Old 05-04-2009, 10:45 AM
ro.sniper

You don't think RCs are allowed on the road? Drive one into her ankle lol... just kidding.. crazy lady. All the people on my street always ask me when I'm gonna take them out and everyone kinda just gathers and watches lol... but I can definitely see some people being angry at the noise, but the Firestorm is way way quieter than my 3.3 Tmaxx... that on is loud. Most of the times I got to parking lots or at the bike jumps in the forest and I'm not bugging anyone there, but I use the street for a few hight speed passes to get everything all tuned up. I have to get some 2.2 rims and tires for on-road as I killed my regular back tires that came with the Firestorm, they have really bad inner camber wear from all the asphalt runs. I'm still waiting for my HPI Cup racer, it should be pretty fun also.
Old 05-04-2009, 11:53 AM
Road Warrior

Its hard to explain with the gearing that i have on there now, off the line it will spin the tires and about 20mph and on if you peg it it will just flip over unless you add a little bit of weight to the front end. If I change the gearing to the 20t/38t you will stand it up no matter how much weight you put on the front end. Its like a high end sports car now, you cant just get in and floor it till you understand what it's capable of. The spur gear has a bearing in it and i had to grind down one of the plates and put it behind the gear with the pad and squeeze it so it is locked.I had to cut a bigger hole in the bottom of my chassis for the bump box to hit the smaller flywheel. I only did all of this because i don't have a dirt track near by all I have is big parking lots and last year all i had was a retarded ofna pirate monster and my buddy would rub it in that his rc 10 was faster. He would wait for me to take off and then fly past me. No matter what i would do i would never be faster. So because i hate Traxxas i bought a firestorm off ebay to keep it a stadium truck and I wanted it to be as wild as you can get so this is what I ended up with. I am extreamly happy with what I have I just wish that my lhs actually carried parts for it. Even with the 3.0 if you guys can change the gearing and get away from that fixed spur these trucks can be fast.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.