Notices
RC Nitro Stadium Trucks Discuss all aspects of rc nitro stadium trucks here

-=OFFICIAL HPI FIRESTORM THREAD=-

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 09:39 PM
tomtom9649

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: -=OFFICIAL HPI FIRESTORM THREAD=-

Thanks nitro-rob. That answers one of my questions. That was mainly the most important one. The other 2 i don't care about that much. Thanks agian.
Old 06-12-2009, 10:38 PM
nitro-rob

Sorry, I forgot the rest of the questions.

The stock servo SF-1 has something like 40-45 oz-in of torque, typical of most throttle/brake servos. The servo you chose is cool although check the warning regarding on the bottom of the page regarding using NiCd batteries. Iuse the jr racing/spektrum z590 servos for my 1/10th scale (86 oz-in of torque) and like them.

Testing compression can be done qualitatively by lifting the truck with the pull started and it doesn't 'extend'. Alternatively you can get a compression tested which I purchased that is great and unambiguous.

I use the duratrax flashpoint thermometer and love it.

ORIGINAL: tomtom9649

Hey guys new to the fourm and new to nirto cars. Ijust got my firestorm about a month ago and i love it. I just have a couple of quick questions.
1. Do i have to use after run oil. My local hobby shop owner told me to just spray WD-40 into the glow plug hole and pull the pull start a couple of times. He also told me to take the air filter and place it in a cup with nitro fuel to clean it. Then he told me to place it in a plastic bag and spray it with WD-40 and massage it into the air filter. I just want a second opinion if thats ok.
2. What it the stock steering servo rated for and will getting a better one really make that much of a diffrence. I found this one at tower hobbies that seems good.
3. How do you test if your engine has good compression. Thanks guys
One more thing, how is the duratrax flashpoint infared temperature gauge.
Old 06-12-2009, 11:16 PM
jmanglona

hey nitro-rob does the z590 servo drop right in?
Old 06-13-2009, 01:07 AM
JUBE

To put the aileron utilize a support jc concept and an eaves pro line, cut the auto body and the support seize it to where it(he,she) seizes the auto body
Old 06-13-2009, 09:00 AM
tomtom9649

Thanks agian nirto-rob. guys one more question. how are hitec servos compared to futaba.
I am just wondering because some hitec servos are cheaper than futaba's but they have more torque and respond faster.
The main hitec servo I am looking into is this one. The futaba one. Which one do you guys think i should get for a replacement steering servo.

I looked into the battery problem with the futaba i am planning to get and many people have no problems with it.
Old 06-13-2009, 03:40 PM
GlassBullet
My Feedback: (1)

So i finished break in and now i'm on to tuning. Here's whats goin on: It runs good up for 1/2 or 3/4 throttle, but at WOT it seems so slow down a bit and it has a lower noise. I think this is because it's too rich and it's bogging down, but I just wanted to make sure it's not too lean and not getting enough fuel. I just don't want to ruin my engine. The temps are around 220 to 230.
Old 06-13-2009, 09:35 PM
ambassador27

Been toolin around HPI's site and it looks like they have very few parts in stock for the storm, are they selling them out or just not makin them anymore??
Old 06-14-2009, 07:31 AM
Kodiac400

I pick my parts on ebay personnally and haven't had a problem yet getting anything. However there are not alot of upgrade parts for the storm......atleast not yet.
Old 06-15-2009, 08:41 PM
ambassador27

Just a quick vid of the Storm after some adjustments..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-bJG4LKaiI
Old 06-16-2009, 11:20 AM
ro.sniper

I've been running my Firestorm quite frequently and I'd have to say with the composite arms, motor saver filter, and 30weight oil in the shocks, running 30% nitro in it... its absolutely fantastic! It holds a tune and it runs amazing! This truck is pretty durable, I let some of my friends drive it and they hit random things here and there but it just keeps on going! I also took it off roading and even though I have some really bad camber wear the tires still grip quite nicely.

Nitro-Rob did you get to go to the track yet?
Old 06-17-2009, 12:15 AM
nitro-rob

For some reason I havn't been able to access RCU all day...

I havn't been to the track yet but have been bashing with some guys every week at some construction sites and have been having a blast. We are talking about heading to the track and will do so likely next month. You are always welcome to come to Cambridge for a bash. Its been hard to get away too far with a newborn so I have been limited to driving close by in the evening after 7:30.

I am waiting for grease and the engine to come in and Ishould have everything for the big block conversion. Hopefully I can have at least start the break in by the weekend.

Road Warrior - I have two ways worked out to get the revo spur gear set up. The first one is pretty simple and the first setup I will try and the other will be tried later that should allow for a wider range of gears to be installed. Photos will be posted. I am not confident in my tire choice and will likely have to go to a smaller diameter. Thanks for the tips and heading me in the right direction.
Old 06-17-2009, 02:20 PM
Road Warrior

Nitro-Rob.....There has been a few people that have seen what I have done from my rcu profile and you tube vids with the big block and the gearing and ask how and what all you have to do. There was alot of trial and error (wasted money) to find the right kind of combinations to make this truck into something thats literally twice as fast and can take a high speed crash without having the repair down time. and you are the fist person to say thanks so your welcome any time
Old 06-17-2009, 05:08 PM
wileecoyote

Hey ya'll!  New to the forum but have time with RC stuff of different types. Mosly cars and trucks. First I have to say, its great to see others with some of the same interests. Second, it looks like I came to the right place for unanswered questions. Last and not least, I love my Firestorm. Its a great ride with all I could want for hopups and tinkering. I've invested in most of the available aluminum parts and recently purchased a big block kit and motor. Axial .28 and the right gearing it should make for a quick model. Would love to hear more of your convos concerning the gearing and other issues that have been had with this jump in horsepower. I know I'll need better brakes, and maybe the diff tightened. I read somewhere about this and was concerned it wouldnt be up to the task of that motor. So, if anyone cares to school me a bit, I'm willing to listen and wait my turn to ask more questions. LMAO! Oh yeah, one more thing, whats the heaviest oil I can run in my shocks? Gonna need it with the extra motor. Thanks much.
Old 06-17-2009, 05:41 PM
Road Warrior

You just got that motor and mount off ebay didn't you. I was bidding on the mount so I could have a big block basher. What is the main kind of driving that you are going to be doing with it so we can help you set it up?
Old 06-17-2009, 06:24 PM
wipeout2097

Hi there guys.

I have seen that some people use boost bottles on their engines but did anyone here fit one on their stock G3.0 engines ?
Is it feasible and if it is; is it worth it ?

Thanks
Old 06-17-2009, 07:17 PM
wileecoyote

Sorry Road, didnt mean to step on your toes. Thats funny I was bidding against you. (you might not think so) Well, I wanted to try and keep it like a stock truck just on steroids. I like to run the neighborhood and some track time at a local. I like to put the street tires on and burn up the local p-lot at a college near here. so i'm going for a reliable all arounder. Thats why I bought all the aluminum parts for it. Thinking the added weight cant hurt it either. Iam very happy with the G3.0 now that I cleaned up the header and put on a 20 tooth but there is always room for improvement (insanity really) I put a wheely bar on and it see plenty of action. So I have to address the suspension which I put on the aluminum hpi shocks all around and need some heavy springs and fluid. (suggestions please) Rates/weights Next will be the brakes (suggestions please) Last will be setup for the gear ratio and what works as far as tranny. I know alot to ask from somebody you lost an auction to LOL Sorry, you meet the nicest people through these forums and I hope to be one ya'll can say that about. I could do it on my own, but what fun would that be? Besides, you cats seem to know the poop about this so it makes good sense. Thank you for your time and energy.        Mattu
Old 06-17-2009, 07:58 PM
nitro-rob

Welcome Coyote
There has been a big block explosion in the forum lately.  I am waiting for my big block engine to come and will have generation 1 of the truck ready soon.  All I did so far was shim the differential and use 300k differential oil and install a revo spur gear similar to what Road Warrior did.  I started with a 40T (18 bell) because I am trying to use taller tires for bashing but think the ratio will have to go down a lot more and the tires change (I will wait to destroy them with the new power and fix/regear it in gen 2).

Old 06-17-2009, 08:10 PM
wileecoyote

Thanks Nitro, glad to be here! I like the idea of generations, fits our builds well. One iteration after another after another....hehe. never enough is it? These things are a junkies worst nightmare. So you went with a 40/18 to run biggers tires? What are they? I'm planning on sticking with the usual 2.2 wheel/tires. They are cheap and alot of fun to tear up. Being its 2 wheel drive I cant see an advantage other than ride height. (you'll prove me wrong though) So I'll see where it goes from there. The Revo spur gears are the way to go then? More sizes? Stronger? How do they mate up with the slipper clutch we have? Okay, enough till I hear back and thanks much.
Old 06-17-2009, 08:26 PM
nitro-rob

I am using 4.8 inch tall Proline Flat Iron tires that go on the 2.2 inch rims to get just under an inch more ride height. The problem is the larger sidewalls are a little soft and begging to be torn apart due to the centrifugal force. I plan on bashing and not drag racing or driving on pavement at all so that is why Imade this choice. The 40T revo spur gear is the smallest one that will hold the savage slipper pad and firestorm slipper plates. Other than using a bearing to make the gear fit the shaft and grinding some of the plastic off the faces of the spur gear it should be a direct fit. Of course you have to change the clutch bell to a 1 mesh gear versus the stock 0.8. I am doing this tonight or tomorrow evening and will take photos so if you can hold on for a bit.... I also don't know how strong the OS .21VG will be so who knows where to start with gearing until it starts being driven.

I was looking at a Tamiya spur gear that uses a similar setup that Imay play around with and I also have an idea to install the revo full slipper setup but give me a little bit of time to work this out (and waste my money). Its a bit hard to explain and I won't know if it works until Isee the first gen. setup.
Old 06-17-2009, 10:11 PM
manuel frias

I need a new engine for my firestorm and i was thinking of getign the Os 18 cvr. Many people say its a good engien for under 100$ but i havent found any for less then 130$ where do people get them for 100$ also i realy want to improve my run times is the o.s 18cvr more gas eficent then the stock engine or has someone put a bigger tank on the firestorm im only geting run times of maby 7-8 minets and im not running too rich
Old 06-17-2009, 10:17 PM
wipeout2097

I am having some questions regarding this big block conversion...
What do you guys mean by "shimming the differential" and what engine mounts are you using?
I saw the big block conversion kit from new era but I was wondering if there are any other engine mounts that can be used.
Maybe I'll consider going big block myself too.
Old 06-17-2009, 10:34 PM
nitro-rob

I only know of the New Era Models kit. The stock differentials are pretty loose and need to have shims added to tighten them up or they will just strip from the power. Thick grease/oil is needed in it as well to control the slip otherwise the truck will diff steer as well as put a lot of unnecessary strain on the differential gears. I put a shim behind each bevel gear and two behind each spider gear and Road Warrier had to add even more (I don't know how thick his smins were, mine are .1mm), Each diff will be a little different. The FS has a great differential, though, Its steel unliike its sister truck MT2. The whole tranny is steel - its a rock.

I will post pictures of the differential describing the shimming process when I get a chance to work on the truck again.

I don't know of any aftermarket tank for the storm - there isn't a lot of real estate for more fuel.

Idon't think the firestorm is being discontinued. The high level of backordering of parts is likely do to the economic slowdown and inventories being lowered to save cost and there being less commerce coming in from overseas delaying the the part supply.

Old 06-17-2009, 10:59 PM
manuel frias

actualy i just found on new era modles a 125cc tank and adapter for the firestorm http://www.neweramodels.com/item.cgi...d=10112#HFS510
Old 06-17-2009, 11:11 PM
nitro-rob

Good find.  I have been on their site many times lately and didn't notice it.  I am confused by the photo, though - does it mount in the stock tank hole?
Old 06-18-2009, 12:09 AM
Road Warrior

Manuel Frias.....The os 18 cvr is a good reliable motor, for the money you will get alot more performance and little better run times with the 18tz though. My buddy had the cvr then put the tz on a rc10 and will never go back. I think that these nitro cars are more like a real car in several ways one being power to weight ratio. The 3.0 isn't quite enought power for the car. It can perform but eats fuel. I have a .21 and the motor doesn't even know it is in a car equaling less throtle to move it. My run times are 7 min going all out not letting off the gas and 9-10 just putting around.

Wileecoyote......If you plan on running the 2.2 tires the gearing will change a little from streeet to dirt tires. I have a axial 20 and 22 tooth cb and integy steel revo 34, 36, and 38 spur gears. since you are kind of a all around driver your needs should fall sonewhere in those gears. To have a smaller than 38t spur you will have to grind down your pressure plate. I only do parking lots so I switched to foam. The power / speed was just eating the rubber tires and the foams doubled in life expectancy. I am still trying to find the best foam tires. I used to run the low pro jaco tires for the jato but with a little modification I am going with the 1/8 scale tires for the mugen/kyosho they are over 2'' wide and seem to be way better. get the new era vented brake disk and the shocks will depend. I have the rally springs you will see them looking for aluminum parts or you can get springs from a rc 10gt they work really good as well. with like a 50 to 60 wt shock oil. With jumps and stuff you will have to kind of go your own direction with the suspension though. Oh and another trick with these big block monsters I kept on losing the dog bones in a high speed roll.For a quick fix instead of spending more money on the jato setup. I put s screw through the ball cups with a lock nut and it works wonderfuly.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.