Notices
RC Nitro Stadium Trucks Discuss all aspects of rc nitro stadium trucks here

-=OFFICIAL HPI FIRESTORM THREAD=-

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2009, 08:42 AM
shori1992

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: -=OFFICIAL HPI FIRESTORM THREAD=-

hey hollow point i live in the united kingdom so will have to be shipped to where u live which is alot postage but here is the website [link]http://www.cpvracing.com/detail.asp?id=13460[/link]
Old 07-25-2009, 08:55 AM
nitro-rob

Stand back, the tuning instructions in the manual are really just as good as anything we will say in here. Its covered a lot in the forum as well. If you just bought the truck you should go through the past 100 pages or so of the forum slowly to get all the little tips and details. Its a bit of a read but a worthwhile investment if you are in this for the long run.
Old 07-25-2009, 10:15 AM
hollow_point

ORIGINAL: shori1992

hey hollow point i live in the united kingdom so will have to be shipped to where u live which is alot postage but here is the website [link]http://www.cpvracing.com/detail.asp?id=13460[/link]
thanks shori this is exactly what i was looking for, the orange will match the body perfectly too. my bro has ordered from china before and it wasnt to bad on shipping. how much did u pay for yours if you dont mind me askng? i dont see a price for it on their site. thanks again shori

on a side note, does anyone know where else i can get something like this? i take my storm to the truck a lot and this would help with air filter maintenance a lot

Old 07-25-2009, 12:27 PM
cbr6fs

Quick question guys.

I've found that my brake fades after a few mins.
More a indication of my poor driving skills than anything else.

But as the brake disc has just collapsed and i need to order a new one, i'm wondering if it's worth ordering a different type.

I've seen a few carbon ones like the ones newera are selling.
http://2003.neweramodels.com/item.cg...s&part_id=9531

Also these non vented
http://www.gshobby.com/index.php?mai...ducts_id=13784

This steel one
http://www.wheelspinmodels.co.uk/ite...-vented__2124/

So do any work as well/better than the stock disc?

Cheers
Mark
Old 07-25-2009, 01:32 PM
bushhiker

Your brake pad should last at least 1/2 gallon I am on my 2nd gallon and it's still good. Is your brake dragging or set too tight ?
Old 07-25-2009, 03:22 PM
hollow_point

i just ordered the vented cf one from new era hobbies along with the aluminum brake driver. looks to be good quality, but i havent bothered to install mine yet as the stock one is still in awesome condition. when that starts to go ill throw this one in there. ive put in almost a gallon through my firestorm and its still in good shape, should last longer for sure
Old 07-25-2009, 05:46 PM
cbr6fs

ORIGINAL: bushhiker

Your brake pad should last at least 1/2 gallon I am on my 2nd gallon and it's still good. Is your brake dragging or set too tight ?
Do you mean the disc?
There is no pad on the firestorm just the 2 arms.

The current disc has been in the car since new, i'm just finishing off my 4th 2.5L tank of fuel, so that's around 2 gallons i think.

It's not worn to badly, it's just broken up.

The problem i'm getting though is when driving.
At around 1/2 a tank the brake takes a massive drop in performance.

Even when they are working well, they are very rarely consistent.
I'll set the brake up via the transmitter so at full braking it just locks up, but then sometimes it doesn't lock others times it does.

It got better when i replaced the servo's, i've ordered the aluminium brake arm, so fingers crossed a decent disc will sort it.

Anyone have any experience with brake discs other than the stock HPI one?

Cheers
Mark

Old 07-25-2009, 08:35 PM
nitro-rob

Try takimg the disc off and degreasing it if it is spongy. Oil from the exhaust can build up on it. I have 2 gallons through mine and the disc is fine although with the big block I am looking to get the new era one. Is the only other option I know of.
Old 07-26-2009, 01:08 AM
cbr6fs

The brake was fine until around 1/4 to 1/2 a tank.
It'd then loose a lot of it's efficiency.

Park the truck up for 10 mins and set off again and it'd be fine again for a while.

So it wasn't really spongy, it was simply fading i'm guessing from heat.

It's no biggy as i don't race, so i'd simply park up and wait for it to cool down.
But as i'm replacing the disintegrated disc anyways i thought i may as well upgrade, but wanted some first hand experiance of different discs used.

No one is running a different brake disc here then?
What about the brake arm, anyone changed to the aluminium one?

Cheers
Mark
Old 07-26-2009, 01:54 AM
Road Warrior
My Feedback: (1)

I have a graphite jato brake setup and recommend getting the aluminum arm too. The plastic one heats up and bends which does not help. You can also use the one from new era it is about the same thing but mine also has vented pads too. My brakes will work consistantly all day running it at speeds that no other firestorm in here will reach
Old 07-26-2009, 09:00 AM
nitro-rob

Roadwarrior - do you think the jato turbo two pad brake kit would fit? It looks like its to wide.
Old 07-26-2009, 11:31 AM
Road Warrior

It will fit but the only problem is that you have to take a dremmel tool and make the holes in the pads farther apart in order to get the screws to line up with the ones on the firestorm transmission. My brother has that setup and there isn't a whole lot of differance in stopping power and consistancy. I almost think that the one that is on my truck works a little bit better because the dual brakes is a metal on metal design and heats up where as the graphite one will run cool no matter what kind of beating it is taking.
Old 07-26-2009, 04:31 PM
hollow_point

hey guys, just wondering if it matters where to put the after run oil. i usually put it in the carb, but its getting to be a pain replacing the zip tie down there everytime. im guessing if i remove the glow plug and put a few drops in there it would achieve the same purpose.

also, i was looking for a tuned pipe for this truck and was just wondering what the best option would be. i have a thread about this but no luck in there so far
Old 07-26-2009, 06:32 PM
Kodiac400

I love the new short coarse truck. I'm going to be in the market for one in the new few months and will be looking at HPI's truck............when it comes out. I figured HPI would have one of these in the work...............because the market is there and its an all new look for rc's.

Old 07-26-2009, 08:22 PM
nitro-rob

After run in the carb and in the glow plug hole.
Old 07-26-2009, 08:45 PM
nitro rc

heres a video of my brother's firestorm. Not really bashing but just driving around.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQ8eJaoeilk

if you can tell with the music, can someone tell me how it sounds.
Old 07-27-2009, 12:49 AM
wileecoyote

SOUNDS AND LOOKS GOOD. WHY DIDNT YOU GIVE THE CAMERAMAN CREDIT TOO? LOL
Old 07-27-2009, 08:24 AM
nitro rc

I was the cameraman LOL
Thanks, I only have it leaned maybe 1/3 to 1/2 turn, and that seems to be fine. I could lean the low end some but the manual says not to and if for some reason the engine craps out early, I want to be able to say I followed the manual LOL
Old 07-27-2009, 10:19 AM
nitro-rob

Looks good nitro. If you are comfortable with the high speed don't be afraid to play with the low speed.

Three days of rain = no driving. I managed to clean and organize my work shop and when that was done I made a hump pack out of some cells I purchased a few months ago. It worked out well and looks just like a commercial version.
Old 07-28-2009, 12:56 AM
wileecoyote

NITROROB, you made a hump for the Storm? Ive been thinking of getting one or making one for the receiver. Where did you get the connector for it? Which cells did you use? got any pics? I know, alot of questions but have to ask so I can decide if I should make one or just buy one from HPI. Thanks much.
Old 07-28-2009, 08:23 PM
nitro-rob

I bought a bunch of 30cm extension wires in bulk on ebay and three inch shrink tubing from the local shop. The cells were bought from newark electronics originally for something else non RC but they are the same cells. I taped the cells together so I could solder wires on them to connect them in series then made cardboard pieces to cover the tops and bottoms. Then wrapped the whole thing in shrink tubing. I will post a picture when I get the camera out but it looks like a regular hump pack without the labels.

I got the idea from fixing a broken pack that I had to take apart that had a broken contact.
Old 07-29-2009, 09:24 AM
shori1992

hollow point i spent about 10 pounds on it and heres a better website with prices[link]http://www.storacingproducts.com/cpv-red-cone-air-filter-1-10-scale.html[/link]
Old 07-29-2009, 08:06 PM
hollow_point

wicked thanks shori. ill try and look locally first and see if i can find one similar. i just want something to protect the filter a little more so it wont get so dirty after a run at the track
Old 07-29-2009, 09:58 PM
hollow_point

so i got my new tires and wheels in the mail today. mounted the new road hawgs on the new wheels and it looks awesome. i also got 4 geolanders, and i was planning on just putting them on the rear wheels and saving the other 2 for spares. basically i would have the stock tires up front and the geolanders out back, and wondering if this is a good idea. or should i just put the geolanders on all four corners?
Old 07-29-2009, 10:12 PM
nitro-rob

Good question. I don't have my front ribbed tires anymore and was considering getting a set when I wear out my rears and transferring the fronts to the back. You won't wear the geolanders too much on the front anyways if you do use them there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.