Notices
RC Nitro Stadium Trucks Discuss all aspects of rc nitro stadium trucks here

aluminum beadlock wheels

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 10:06 PM
vr6vdub

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default aluminum beadlock wheels

I posted this same question in the general forum but I wanted to see what you guys thought...

I was interested in getting some aluminum beadlock wheels. My question for anyone who may know is...how does the added weight of the aluminum affect the handling characteristics of a vehicle (a Jato 3.3 in my case). Specifically I am referring to the unsprung weight of the vehicle. If anyone is not familiar with this here is a Wikipedia entry.

[link]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unsprung_weight[/link]

Apparantly soft tires offset the effect of unsprung weight but I don't know how this translates to the RC world. Does anyone have any experience running these types of wheels? I don't race but I do care about performance and I am aware of unsprung weight's importance in a good handling 1:1 car. Thanks.
Old 01-11-2007, 11:08 AM
dude7422

Default RE: aluminum beadlock wheels

vr6 with the add of the aluminum rims(beadlock) you will just need more time longer dis. to stop your rc imo the wt. maybe help center of grav. of the jato beadlocks from what i hear are worthless the bolts strip out come loose hard to mount and true for high speed beadlocks are for the most part used for crawlers not what you want
Old 01-11-2007, 12:06 PM
125cchyperman

Now your getting into my neck of the woods.

Well Just to make things easy for some, unsprung weight is if you pick up your car, everyhting that drops is unsprung weight. Another words, your tires, your suspension, and anything that drops when you pick the truck up at the chassis is unsprung weight. Anything else that does not drop is sprung weight. Now I flipped my shocks when I raced RC's and so many people hounded me for it, but when I did good that was one of the first things they seen and switched on there trucks to see if thats what gave me the advantage. But to tell you the truth I didnt really notice a difference but I knew that it made a difference on it though through our other form of racing.

Well I dont have experience with beadlocks on rc's but I do have experience on beadlocks on a true race car. As for the unsprung weight I wouldnt worry about it unless you are racing and really want to get into specific's of handling. Basically the truck will handle not quite as good as it did before it had the heavier wheels on it. The truck will bounce around more and the servo will take some abuse from it transfering from the suspension's geometry to the servo itself. Now this is all of the top of my head so I might have missed some thing's that maybe that link that you provided gets to. But I will affect the perfromane of the truck as to how much I dont know, that I guess you will have to ask someone who has them on or wait till you get them and see for yourself.

As for the performance aspect, it add's roatating mass to the vehicle, it will slow the car down in acceleration as it has to get that extra weight up and moving, it will also make the car slow down less as the brakes will be less responsive (Now I dont know how much less responsive it will be) as the brakes have to stop all that extra rotating energy. The CG will be lower, so you will have less traction roll over if you had any to begin with (which I dont think you did have a problem with it as I dont know of any Jato's that did have that problem). As for the erst of the handling I just dont know how it affect it as I havent tried them on a rc yet.

But good luck
Old 01-11-2007, 05:56 PM
Vigilante212

Do they even make beadlocks for jatos 2.8 sized wheel or the regualr 1/10th scale 2.2 rims?
Old 01-12-2007, 01:30 PM
vr6vdub

My main interest in them is because they are reusable. If I could find a way to reliably remove tires from my old plastic wheels without stinking up the house I would go that route. I have very nice cooking pans and I hesitate to boil plastic, rubber, and glue in them.
Old 01-12-2007, 02:07 PM
gixxer1300r

ORIGINAL: 125cchyperman

Now your getting into my neck of the woods.

Well Just to make things easy for some, unsprung weight is if you pick up your car, everyhting that drops is unsprung weight. Another words, your tires, your suspension, and anything that drops when you pick the truck up at the chassis is unsprung weight. Anything else that does not drop is sprung weight. Now I flipped my shocks when I raced RC's and so many people hounded me for it, but when I did good that was one of the first things they seen and switched on there trucks to see if thats what gave me the advantage. But to tell you the truth I didnt really notice a difference but I knew that it made a difference on it though through our other form of racing.

Well I dont have experience with beadlocks on rc's but I do have experience on beadlocks on a true race car. As for the unsprung weight I wouldnt worry about it unless you are racing and really want to get into specific's of handling. Basically the truck will handle not quite as good as it did before it had the heavier wheels on it. The truck will bounce around more and the servo will take some abuse from it transfering from the suspension's geometry to the servo itself. Now this is all of the top of my head so I might have missed some thing's that maybe that link that you provided gets to. But I will affect the perfromane of the truck as to how much I dont know, that I guess you will have to ask someone who has them on or wait till you get them and see for yourself.

As for the performance aspect, it add's roatating mass to the vehicle, it will slow the car down in acceleration as it has to get that extra weight up and moving, it will also make the car slow down less as the brakes will be less responsive (Now I dont know how much less responsive it will be) as the brakes have to stop all that extra rotating energy. The CG will be lower, so you will have less traction roll over if you had any to begin with (which I dont think you did have a problem with it as I dont know of any Jato's that did have that problem). As for the erst of the handling I just dont know how it affect it as I havent tried them on a rc yet.

But good luck
Old 01-12-2007, 02:09 PM
gixxer1300r

I just wanted to add that this reply is great and covers every part of adding heavier wheels to your buggy.

One question I would like to ask is why do you need or want beadlocks? are your tires comming unglued and popping of the rim?
Old 01-13-2007, 06:02 AM
bobn911

vr6vdub, instead using your good pots and pans, hit the garage sales or flea markets for a cheap pot. As far stinking up the house, do you have a vent over the stove? Later, Bob
Old 01-15-2007, 01:27 PM
dude7422

yes they are called 3peice rims lol old school once again what is old is new lol
ORIGINAL: Vigilante212

Do they even make beadlocks for jatos 2.8 sized wheel or the regualr 1/10th scale 2.2 rims?
Old 01-15-2007, 01:47 PM
Intermission

Do you have any links to the rims for STs?