Notices
RC Nitro Stadium Trucks Discuss all aspects of rc nitro stadium trucks here

good rc for under 300?

Old 01-18-2007, 11:45 PM
hillbilie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default good rc for under 300?

ok so i want to buy another rc truck, or car for that matter, i would like to go nitro this time around but i am not against electric. my question is what is the best bang for the buck RTR car or truck for $300 or under. i was looking at a few including the nitro rustler, the rc10, the nitro evader, etc. i am not a total newb to rc but for the most part i am a newb haha. it will be used for bashing, parking lots, back yard stuff, jumping, and maby some home built tracks and such, but im not into racing. i can afford around $300 and im hoping that i can find something fun in that price range. thanks guys

(edit) i forgot to say, 4wd is not a must but is a huge plus
Old 01-18-2007, 11:55 PM
Banana Turbo
Banned

Default RE: good rc for under 300?

At the end of the day you get what you pay for.
Old 01-18-2007, 11:56 PM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

HPI Firestorm.
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXPVD8&P=0
Old 01-19-2007, 12:02 AM
vr6vdub

To banana...

Well no ****! He's asking for a budget vehicle...they are made for a reason. Of course you get what you pay for. Your comment added nothing constructive to the topic.
Old 01-19-2007, 12:11 AM
hillbilie

so the firestorm is prety good, relaible, decent parts avalability, and aftermarket hop ups and such?
Old 01-19-2007, 12:48 AM
XTMer

Still pretty new. I have an XTM X-Cellerator. Only 200 bucks. Great ST. Very durable and fast, I jump it all of the time. I regularly jump it over myself and haven't broken anything except an arm when I was first learning to pull backflips with Masher 2k's. Also very race worthy if you want to go that rout eventually.
Old 01-19-2007, 02:37 PM
dude7422

hi AE or jato maybe a hpi mt2 the hpi mt2 is 4wheel drive Tower is the only place to buy from imo.. if tower dont stock it you dont want it lol
Old 01-19-2007, 03:28 PM
MrN8

Both the Associated RC10GT2 RTR and the Team Losi XXX-T RTR II are available under $300 and are always among the top recommended STs. You can't go wrong with either of them.
Old 01-19-2007, 03:52 PM
chrobar

If your not gonna be racing, the traxxas nitro sport or rustler are great beginner trucks.
Old 01-19-2007, 03:58 PM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

I have a HPI MT 2 great truck but the RTR has very weak drive train and if he gets the kit with a radio it is well over his budget. The only MT 2 I will recommend is the SS kit. Yes 4 wheel drive is much better but over his budget. Yes the Firestorm has not been out very long but getting great reviews from the end users which are much more reliable then reviews from those that sell advertising. The Firestorm will all so make a great racer.
Here is HPI web site with much more information on the Firestorm and the MT.
http://www.hpiracing.com/index2.htm
Old 01-19-2007, 05:04 PM
MrN8

ORIGINAL: chrobar

If your not gonna be racing, the traxxas nitro sport or rustler are great beginner trucks.
As someone who's not a beginner and owns a Rustler, I'd say look elsewhere. I've worked with friends on their Team Associated and Losi ST's and they are much easier to work on. The rustler is not terribly difficult, but it's just not laid out as logically.
Old 01-19-2007, 05:09 PM
Banana Turbo
Banned

vr6vdub,

My message was more constructive than yours.

And you agreed you get what you pay for.

So a truck that costs more will be better than one that costs less.

So if you buy a truck that costs $300 it will be better than one that costs $280

There forth you get what you pay for.

So what ever. sounds like PMT to me. are you a woman?

Volkswagons are womens cars. Especially a VR6. And in this case you get what you pay for isnt true as a VR6 is a total rip off.
Old 01-19-2007, 05:41 PM
bte214

You both are great contributors to the thread. Please stay on topic. It is not always you get what you pay for. I'd much rather have a GT2 than a nitro rustler and they are teh same price. If your not racing but want to run on a track get a GT2, nitro evader or even Xtm Excellerator. Now that I look a it the firestorm doesn't look bad either. If you are not going to be racing on a track get any of the above or the rustler, it is tough and fast.
Old 01-20-2007, 06:45 AM
Banana Turbo
Banned

Duratrax?

Well im fairly sure more people have the rustler and would disagree that its better.
Old 01-20-2007, 07:24 AM
Woodmandan2

Remember, If you buy a bery nice truck like a firestorm, wich costs 261 dollars, you will still need to buy nitro (30 dollars), a fuel bottle (10 dollars) a glo igniter (10 dollars) and after run lube (3 dollars) some extra miscelaneious things like a RX pack (15 dollars) a decent charger (40 dollars, note this charger will charge a pack in less than 20 mins i got a dynamite prophet plus). Remember when you get your first RC, you will need to buy a few things to get it started wich equal 50 bux in total.
but remember, as with any rc, the end result bugging your neighbors, running at 9:00 AM, and pulling off 10 foot jumps.....

Priceless
Good Luck
Dan
Old 01-20-2007, 10:02 AM
Banana Turbo
Banned

Agreed i started up at 11.30am. A guy a couple of houses down got in his car and repeatably beeped his horn. I just carried on looking at him from time to time.

Totally priceless!!!
Old 01-20-2007, 12:12 PM
Kemo

ORIGINAL: MrN8

As someone who's not a beginner and owns a Rustler, I'd say look elsewhere.
Nitro sport and rustlers are terrible to start out with. After having both of them driven, i'd pick up a tower hobbies ST-15 before I'd go traxxas. Let me start with all the weaknesses on the rusty/sport:

Weak shocks, and they are common to leak

cheap driveshafts. they always break or fall apart.

Extremely finicky engine. terrible engine for a new person to the hobby.

Radio gear is way below par of today's RTR vehicles.

Transmission is weak. You'll find that the gears tend to separate from where they are supposed to be. thus ending up with a chipped gear in the tranny.

Suspension arms are of a cheap quality plastic.

And thats just a small list of things that need to be improved. For the price you pay to get one of these, its ridiculous. For the "quality" that the rustler is, you SHOULD be able to buy a nitro rustler at 150-200 bucks. But, traxxas would rather disagree.
Old 01-20-2007, 06:36 PM
bte214

ORIGINAL: Banana Turbo

Duratrax?

Well im fairly sure more people have the rustler and would disagree that its better.
Yes duratrax. THe egine and radio gear is made by OS and Futaba two of the most trusted names in RC. It's a good truck and the only reason to get a nitro rustler over the evader would be it is a little faster and probably tougher. However if you break a plastic part on the evader send it back and get a new one free. Also It is a little better handling/adjustable than the rustler.
Old 01-20-2007, 07:29 PM
Blackfoot
Banned

ORIGINAL: Kemo

Nitro sport and rustlers are terrible to start out with. After having both of them driven, i'd pick up a tower hobbies ST-15 before I'd go traxxas. Let me start with all the weaknesses on the rusty/sport: Funny, you said in a different post that you ordered a JATO and backed out, now you say you have had both a Rustler and a Sport. You lie like a wet rug, the only Traxxas you finally admit to having is a Tmaxx that you beat into submission and busted parts on from abuse and then blamed it on the truck

Weak shocks, and they are common to leak This is true

cheap driveshafts. they always break or fall apart. Not true at all. 6 gallons one a set with a ported 2.5 and not 1 single problem.

Extremely finicky engine. terrible engine for a new person to the hobby. Only if you cant tune. How is it I dont have any problems tuning mine?

Radio gear is way below par of today's RTR vehicles. Again, never had any issues with TQ Radios.

Transmission is weak. You'll find that the gears tend to separate from where they are supposed to be. thus ending up with a chipped gear in the tranny. This is the deepest pile of horse crap you have spewed yet. How is it that Ive got a Rustler and a Sport, both with 2.5's, a TMaxx with a 2.5 and a JATO with a 3.3 and NEVER had a single issue with a trans? But The first tank of breakin fuel the Evader I had tore up the ball diff running at just over an idle? Trans weak, Your so clusless its sad.

Suspension arms are of a cheap quality plastic. Another lie. Ive NEVER brok a single arm on any traxxas RC that I have ever owned. I bash harder then you could ever race and yet to break anything but a shocktower and 1 steering knuckle

And thats just a small list of things that need to be improved. For the price you pay to get one of these, its ridiculous. For the "quality" that the rustler is, you SHOULD be able to buy a nitro rustler at 150-200 bucks. But, traxxas would rather disagree. No, go buy a Evader and tear diff after diff out, same with the RC10 and XXX series. If you listen to this clown he will try to tell you that a ball diff is stronger and more reliable then a bevel gear diff. If you want to spend alot of time adjusting the mesh on a diff so you can just go out and burn a tang, get a ball diff. If you want to run tank anfter tank, go with bevel geared diff. Which BTW is exactly what the Tower ST15 has, except you have to wait about a week for parts to arive when you break something!
LMAO, you havent a clue, you just badmouth Traxxas coz you dont like them! If you want do nothing but race, buy something else other then TRAXXAS, if you want a reliable hardcore basher that is bulletproof, get a TRAXXAS. KEMO, you talk more crap on TRAXXAS then you have any right to, I have several and they are very good quality RC's. One of the toughest on the market, else they wouldnt be the highest selling, with repeat buyers. BTW, Duratrash sucks!

Old 01-20-2007, 07:38 PM
pre98zetec
Banned

Nitro sport and rustlers are terrible to start out with. After having both of them driven, i'd pick up a tower hobbies ST-15 before I'd go traxxas. Let me start with all the weaknesses on the rusty/sport:

Weak shocks, and they are common to leak < LOLOLOL

cheap driveshafts. they always break or fall apart.<LOLOL again.. 20+ gallons on the SAME ones.. all ran with 2.5s!

Extremely finicky engine. terrible engine for a new person to the hobby. if you can't tune a 2.5 your plain retarded. 2.5 is the EASIET motor in the WORLD to tune! they run with any tune!

Radio gear is way below par of today's RTR vehicles.so? it works..

Transmission is weak. You'll find that the gears tend to separate from where they are supposed to be. thus ending up with a chipped gear in the tranny. ROFL! 20+gallons again, ON FACTORY TRANNY< that means ALL stock gears.. DIFF and all!!

Suspension arms are of a cheap quality plastic. LOL

And thats just a small list of things that need to be improved. For the price you pay to get one of these, its ridiculous. For the "quality" that the rustler is, you SHOULD be able to buy a nitro rustler at 150-200 bucks. But, traxxas would rather disagree.
Old 01-20-2007, 08:26 PM
bte214

[quote]ORIGINAL: Blackfoot

[quote]ORIGINAL: Kemo

[quote]ORIGINAL: MrN8

Extremely finicky engine. terrible engine for a new person to the hobby. Only if you cant tune. How is it I dont have any problems tuning mine?
Radio gear is way below par of today's RTR vehicles. Again, never had any issues with TQ Radios.
And thats just a small list of things that need to be improved. For the price you pay to get one of these, its ridiculous. For the "quality" that the rustler is, you SHOULD be able to buy a nitro rustler at 150-200 bucks. But, traxxas would rather disagree. No, go buy a Evader and tear diff after diff out, same with the RC10 and XXX series. If you listen to this clown he will try to tell you that a ball diff is stronger and more reliable then a bevel gear diff. If you want to spend alot of time adjusting the mesh on a diff so you can just go out and burn a tang, get a ball diff. If you want to run tank anfter tank, go with bevel geared diff.
LMAO, you havent a clue, you just badmouth Traxxas coz you dont like them! If you want do nothing but race, buy something else other then TRAXXAS, if you want a reliable hardcore basher that is bulletproof, get a TRAXXAS. KEMO, you talk more crap on TRAXXAS then you have any right to, I have several and they are very good quality RC's. One of the toughest on the market, else they wouldnt be the highest selling, with repeat buyers. BTW, Duratrash sucks!

I've never owned a nitro traxxas so i can't say but i've heard some both ways that they are filicky and some say they are easy to tune. The TQ radio's feel kinda cheap but they work fine. Do you or have you ever owned an RC10 or XXX? IF you have you'd know that ball diffs are strong and give you better control than a gear diff. Please do not bash other trucks in order to say how great yours is.
Your Duratrax comment was extremely unnecessary. You drove an evader had a bad experience. That doesn't mean they are a bad company. I can tell you like Traxxas as you stated you have a few of their vehicles but that doesn't mean you need to bash other companies. Traxxas is a good company for what they produce, bashers (although I hear the Revo is a pretty good racer). I am in no way against traxxas and actually I have an E-maxx on the way.
Old 01-20-2007, 10:07 PM
pre98zetec
Banned

Transmission is weak. You'll find that the gears tend to separate from where they are supposed to be. thus ending up with a chipped gear in the tranny.
weak huh?

just remember this diff has seen 20+ gallons (4 different motors)

the other two gears are solid steel. Have fun calling a traxxas tranny weak.
Old 01-20-2007, 10:09 PM
Blackfoot
Banned

LOL, looks 100000000000x stronger then any ball diff, that cant last 2 tanks. Just go check out the evader thread!!!
Old 01-20-2007, 10:58 PM
hillbilie

sooo are u guys saying that i should get the nitro rustler? i am not a total newb also i am a mechanic at a high performance car shop, so its not like ive never tuned a motor before (although a nitro rc motor is different than a regular gas car, dirtbike or weedeater motor its still the same concept. fuel and air

im really liking the hpi firestorm, what u guys think about that?
Old 01-20-2007, 11:21 PM
Blackfoot
Banned

The firestorm is just a revamped Rush(which wasnt all that great of a truck to begin with) with different servo location and wider susp arms. It also has a geared diff that KEMO says is weak and junk, LOL.

By all means get a Rustler, esp if you plan on mainly just bashing. You wont find a tougher or more dependable truck for beating ths snot out of tank after tank. Trust me, I have a Rustler 2.5, Sport 2.5 ported, TMaxx 2.5, JATO 3.3 and 4tec OS .18, all of which have been very tough and reliable. Not 1 suspension arm has broke(1 steering knuckle and 1 shock tower, big whoop ti do!), not 1 tranny problem(just look at the pic above of the Rustler Tranny diff assembly, tell me how it will ever come apart? Kemo talks more crap then a browneye with diarea), not 1 radio problem(except having a few with the same crystal freq), not 1 engine tuning issue( a 2.5 will run on almost any tune and any monkey can turn a screwdriver, only a tard cant tune or has a tuning problem on any engine), not 1 axle broken or fallen apart(unless you count the brand new MIB that I put in my Rustler that broke the outdrive off from too much torque, so I went back to the stock ones again coz they last gallons), Not 1 single complaint on any TRAXXAS product!!!(unless its about their tires) The only company I prefer over TRAXXAS is Ofna for their onroads and 1/8 buggies. Or HPI only for the 1/5 Baja 5B gasoline buggy.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.