Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Nitro Stadium Trucks
Reload this Page >

What should I buy for my Rustler now?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Nitro Stadium Trucks Discuss all aspects of rc nitro stadium trucks here

What should I buy for my Rustler now?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 07:35 PM
big_b

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What should I buy for my Rustler now?

I bought a Rustler 2.5 new and I am ready to beef up the body mainly. I haven't broke anything yet ..

I really want blue anodized aluminum parts as much as I can. I have tried to look but can't find anyone that has all the parts I need. I looked at tower hobbies and they only have RP nylon ones.

Also what parts are going to break on my Rustler the easiest in a crash? I want to buy a surplus of parts so I don't have an downtime.

The parts I have came to a conclusion I want so far are..

Blue aluminum front and rear arms

Blue aluminum front and rear shock towers

Aluminum front bumper

What other aluminum parts can I get? or should I get?

I am really interested in what parts are going to break on me the easiest if I take a hit in the front .....

Thanks in advance
Old 01-22-2007, 07:50 PM
crohbober

Default RE: What should I buy for my Rustler now?

i dont have a rustler but to tell you the truth.i wouldnt upgrade anything till i break something and all those aluminum parts are not good.. basically they transfer thebreakage to the next weakest point of the truck.. and instead of snapping they bend and they can bend into something else.. the only thing i would consider getting for the rustler ar alloy steeringknuckles.. i know a person who had a whole bunch of aluminum on his truck but basically replaced them all with plastic because of the energy transfer... but if you really want to get one despite all the info i gave you u can get a few at neweramodels.com
Old 01-22-2007, 10:32 PM
Kemo

For a heck of a suspension arm, RPM makes pretty good nylon arms. Lifetime warranty on their parts, aluminum cant match that.
Old 01-23-2007, 09:12 AM
AdioKIP

Try neweramodels.com I got most of my aluminum parts from there. So far I have aluminum top plate, front and rear shock towers, and shocks. A-Arms are next, I'm going with the aluminum extended ones.

With the parts you listed as upgrading, if you upgrade the shock towers they will transfer the force of the crash to the bulk heads. You might want to upgrade those to aluminum as well when you upgrade your shock towers.

Like crohbober said, if you get aluminum, you then transfer the force of a crash thru the aluminum down to whatever the next plastic part is in line. I haven't had to much break on my rustler and its seen some pretty nasty crashes. One of the best things about the rustler is how easy it is to get parts for, just replace parts as you break them and you'll be fine.
Old 01-23-2007, 09:43 AM
MrN8

Buy or make a roll cage. It will save you a lot of hassle when you roll the thing over (which will happen).
Old 01-23-2007, 01:53 PM
AdioKIP

If you dont want a full roll cage, newera.com makes a steel roll bar with brace. Looks good on the truck, helps protect the engine head (as long as your using a 2.5 or smaller, with a 3.3 the engine cooling head is slightly taller then the roll bar), and it also helps stiffen the chasis and brace the truck. I've got it on mine and so far am satisfied with it...
Old 01-24-2007, 11:21 PM
toxic 2U

ORIGINAL: crohbober

i dont have a rustler but to tell you the truth.i wouldnt upgrade anything till i break something and all those aluminum parts are not good.. basically they transfer thebreakage to the next weakest point of the truck.. and instead of snapping they bend and they can bend into something else.. the only thing i would consider getting for the rustler ar alloy steeringknuckles.. i know a person who had a whole bunch of aluminum on his truck but basically replaced them all with plastic because of the energy transfer... but if you really want to get one despite all the info i gave you u can get a few at neweramodels.com
Aluminum is the bomb dude [sm=punching.gif] if you build it right you end up with a truck that can kill anything. I built my rustler with all aluminum parts exept for the bulk heads. I've mashed cocrete walls going pertty damn fast and only broke the front bulk head just as I planed for it to break. It my be a bit heavy but for bashing it rules . It also make for a better handling truck too.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz78889.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	155.0 KB
ID:	606045   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb89790.jpg
Size:	146.1 KB
ID:	606046   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ns45838.jpg
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	606047   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cw64091.jpg
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	606048   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oz31679.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	606049   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xn88433.jpg
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	606050  
Old 01-25-2007, 10:51 PM
AE Pilot

Anyone have an actual picture of one of New Era's blue aluminum parts installed? Those pictures on the website look enhanced.
Old 01-25-2007, 11:33 PM
kweezinarts

Nitro Rustler parts...

[link=http://www.ssrcracing.com/traxxas.html]SSRCRacing[/link] - A variety of high grade aluminum.
[link=http://www.powerlineracing.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=227]Powerline[/link] - A few nice aluminum parts.
[link=http://www.hot-racing.com/index.cgi?partnumber=GG406&c=60]Hot Racing[/link] - Decent selection of Nitro Rustler parts.
[link=http://www.fastlanemachine.com/PublicPortal/NitroRustler/tabid/59/Default.aspx]Fastlane[/link] - More aluminum chassis parts.
[link=http://www.rdracingproducts.com/Zen/index.php?main_page=]RD Racing[/link] - Not a huge selection.
[link=http://www.danscraftsandthings.com/]Dans Crafts N Things[/link] - One of my LHS's, carries a wide variety of parts.
Old 01-27-2007, 05:45 PM
j1nx123

DUDE CHECK OUT EBAY FOR SOME SWEET ALUMINUM PARTS
Old 02-02-2007, 11:49 AM
JshBetz

just go to track and run for a while first, you might find that the plastic suits your driving.You can have all of the best parts but still finish last.
Old 02-02-2007, 01:12 PM
MrN8

ORIGINAL: JshBetz

just go to track and run for a while first, you might find that the plastic suits your driving.You can have all of the best parts but still finish last.
Finally a voice of reason. I've got an almost 100% aluminum Rustler and it's a heavy beast. The rear shock tower is still plastic, and if the rear takes a hit, it's gone immediately. The point is, aluminum is tough, but the breakage will just transfer to the next weakest piece. I'd say learn to drive your Rustler well and don't worry about bulking it up with all sorts of aluminum. Plastic is cheap to replace, anyway.

Once you've driven it for a while and tuned it, decide where you think it's lacking. If it's in the handling, look at different tires, springs, and shock oils. If you need more low-end punch, consider a tuned pipe or a 16T clutch bell. If you need more high end, go for a tuned pipe and a 22T clutch bell.