Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Traxxas S-Maxx

I use to own a few RC heli but now am looking to buy some type of Nitro truck. Ive seen a S-Maxx at my local hobby town for $299.00. Just wondering if its worth getting as a beginner? Or should I wait and spend the extra cash on something like a Jato 3.3

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Traxxas S-Maxx

you want to learn about the 2 wheel drive models start with an X-cell or a Firestorm, Both are good in expensive trucks that drive well and only have minor glitches in them like weak hiubs etc. Or if you want to wait and step up the XXX or the GT2 are 2 of the best ways to go. Both of those will smoke the Jato in more than one way with the same type of power plant in them. The reason the Jato screams like it does is its a 1/10 scale with an engine displacement like a 1/8.................go see what wins at the track but if your into drags get a Jato[&o]
    Custom Cars bring out the stars / Home of the RCLYNX, RC IMPROVEMENT, MOD, SALES & SERVICE Dealer;XTM, CEN, HPI & much more

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

What about a Tmaxx? Would this type be too much for someone who isnt use to driving these? Ive only driven the battery operated cars and trucks but even those were Nyco and in the 1980s.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Tmaxx is 4 wheel drive compared to the Smaxx being 2 wheel drive. This would make the Tmaxx much much easier to drive then the Smaxx. Also the Tmaxx is more of an older standard type design (compared to the revo or jato) so it will be easier to work on then either of them.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well I went to two different hobby shops here where I live and neither had a Firestorm but one did have a SMaxx so I picked it up and a starter kit. So far I like it even tho the only driving I have done are a few break in drives. Another hour or so of breaking in and I should be good. I also saw it recommended the Traxxas fuel. Does it matter what brand fuel you use? The starter kit came with some 20% Eliminator fuel.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

but u can convert the smaxx to 4 wheel drive for about 40 bucks if you choose to???
    so dont rule out an smaxx just yet
    hpi mt-18cv-rx also nitrosport-lots of mods
    if it aint broke dont fix it,if it is ive got ductape/superglue

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

You should try and stay with the same fuel if you can because you have to re tune when you change. I don't sell Traxxas fuel nor have I even used it but I have read more complaints about there fuel than any other. Do the same thing and check it out at the local track and see what most of them are running. Just stick close to a 20% mix and keep your mixture a little rich. Tuning to the best preformance is not the best way to put many gallons of fuel threw your truck. Some of my old trucks I use have over 20 gallons of fuel threw them and are still going. [:-]
    Custom Cars bring out the stars / Home of the RCLYNX, RC IMPROVEMENT, MOD, SALES & SERVICE Dealer;XTM, CEN, HPI & much more

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

OK Im breaking in the engine on the Smaxx and the first few times I saw smoke coming from the glow plug area. I stopped and adjusted the high speed needle a bit to richen the fuel. A few more times and now its spitting fuel out the side a bit. Also when the engine gets warm after running a few mins it starts to get sluggish when I try and take off. Should I lean it a bit? What if the glow plug smoke comes back?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

From what I've noticed, the oil in Traxxas fuel cloggs up carbs like no other. Traxxas recommends their fuel for their engines so they can make more money. You don't need to run it.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

If you want a Traxxas then get a Revo 3.3. But no "Maxx" trucks. The X-Cell, Firestorm, XT2, and others are great RC's to get started with. And you know how to treat them, just like the heli, as if there you own child.
    Saldly, 98% of teens have switched to rap music, if you\'re part of the other 2% that like real hip-hop put this in your sig.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ok, annie, why wouldn't you want to get a maxx truck??? Here's why you WOULD: tons of hop-ups and aftermarket support, traxxas has excellent customer service, good quality trucks, very popular so lots of hobby shops carry parts for them, easy to work on...the revo is made by the same company so it has the same stuff as the "maxx" trucks do, it's just a more racy version...

If you want a stadium truck I'd say go w/ the rc10gt or gt2, both are very good racers, good price, good parts support and lots of aftermarket hop-ups, easy to work on, durable the list goes on and on...

The firestorm seems to be a good one also, but it's new and hasn't really proven itself yet, but many people are happy w/ it and it seems to be a good car...

On the other hand you will have trouble finding parts for the xtm x-cellerator, xt2 w/e that is...

unwritten, you need a temp gauge to monitor your temps on that S-Maxx, that smoke coming from around the glow plug could be spilled fuel or after run oil, if you use it, and you should...also use a good 20% fuel w/ about 12% to 18% oil content...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Don't know why anybody has trouble getting X-cellerator parts I have them all[:-] right now its hard to get an X-c RTR because there out

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Since Ive tuned the truck a bit the smoke from the glow plug area has not come back. I think it was running too lean even tho the DVD says the truck was setup by the factory for break in. Dont think break in means run the thing til smoke runs from the plug area LOL. How hot should the engine be getting? Right now when I finish a tank the engine is too hot for me to even think about touching.

Also I noticed the truck was getting hard to start and would not run long at all. I figured the glow plug had some sort of build up around it and yep it did. I went to my lhs and told the guy I needed a few glow plugs for a SMAXX and he picked a few off the hook and sold em to me. I get them home and they fit in the engine just fine but they wont fit the connector. The head is too long and it does not allow for the plug to fit firm. Am I doing something wrong or does the guy that sold me them not know what plug goes where.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

unwritten7
    Since Ive tuned the truck a bit the smoke from the glow plug area has not come back. I think it was running too lean even tho the DVD says the truck was setup by the factory for break in. Dont think break in means run the thing til smoke runs from the plug area LOL. How hot should the engine be getting? Right now when I finish a tank the engine is too hot for me to even think about touching.
    Only place you want smoke is out the tail pipe and always, because when the smoke goes away from the tail pipe most times its to lean. You should be running at a max of 280 degree's and a good temp would be around 230<-------------will make the mill last longer. Now if you want to touch something that hot you go right ahead, I'll pass thanks[:@]

I get them home and they fit in the engine just fine but they wont fit the connector. The head is too long and it does not allow for the plug to fit firm. Am I doing something wrong or does the guy that sold me them not know what plug goes where.
    You will find that glow plug heads in some brands are longer than others. If you use the auto start you can crimp the wire end to work or if it doesn't seem right just use the Traxxas plugs[&o] but the plugs all work[:-]

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

For some reason I was thinking it was like a car and the glow plug had to be hooked up(to the EZ start) the whole run. Once the truck is started the wire to the EZ start can come off the glow plug righ?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The S-Maxx is an old vehicle. I would sugest a Jato or a Jato 3.3 Be ware with the 3.3 it has extreme exceleration so go extremely easy on the throttle at first. As with all Traxxas engines, they only last for about 2 gallons of fuel. I would personally suggest a HPI Firestorm 10T or an Associated GT2.
    Axial AX10, \"Irene\" with custom chassis, Thunder Tiger ST-1 [not working]

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Right it doesn't matter after its running[:-]

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

yes turn it in and 1/16 and make 2 long passes (100yrds) and check it again. Don't worry about it spitting out the stinger right now while its breaking in, just make it so it idles pretty good not great[:-]

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I think it might be running too hot. The black wrap that is around the end of the plug that comes from EZ star and hooks to the glow plug has melted off. I dont see smoke while its idle but once its running in the street or dirt I see some smoke. When I first start it runs great but after it warms up it seems it more likely to stall or get sluggish. I have been tweaking the high speed needle and some of the low speed. Is it possible to get it too rich to where its almost flooding it? There looks like some oil coming from the glow plug area and getting on the engine. Do I not have the glow plug tight enough? Also Ive turned the idle screw and it does not seem to lower the idle at all but after I turn it the other way it does idle more.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

If it runs good at speeds and smokes a bit then set your LSN back to factory specs and start again.................all trial and error............good luck[&o]

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

traxxas suck get hpi

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

they put .18's in a monster truck = no power

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Dont seem like I can get this truck tuned right. Ive turned the HS needle counter clock wiset to richen the fuel countless times and the engine still gets hot(really hot), spits fuel out the exhaust and just a bit of smoke comes from the side when I run it but not at idle.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: rcdudegermy08

Ok, annie, why wouldn't you want to get a maxx truck??? Here's why you WOULD: tons of hop-ups and aftermarket support, traxxas has excellent customer service, good quality trucks, very popular so lots of hobby shops carry parts for them, easy to work on...the revo is made by the same company so it has the same stuff as the "maxx" trucks do, it's just a more racy version...

If you want a stadium truck I'd say go w/ the rc10gt or gt2, both are very good racers, good price, good parts support and lots of aftermarket hop-ups, easy to work on, durable the list goes on and on...

The firestorm seems to be a good one also, but it's new and hasn't really proven itself yet, but many people are happy w/ it and it seems to be a good car...

On the other hand you will have trouble finding parts for the xtm x-cellerator, xt2 w/e that is...

unwritten, you need a temp gauge to monitor your temps on that S-Maxx, that smoke coming from around the glow plug could be spilled fuel or after run oil, if you use it, and you should...also use a good 20% fuel w/ about 12% to 18% oil content...
    Maxx trucks have a horrible 10 year old suspension and arm configuration. Thay aren't worth a poo, break relatively easy, there just plain OLD trucks, the same design have come from the T-Maxx with a PRO .15 engine that was released in the 90s.
    The X-Cell and XT2 are not hard to get parts for, and they don't break as ofter. The XT2 is a X-Terminator 2. How don't you know that?
    Saldly, 98% of teens have switched to rap music, if you\'re part of the other 2% that like real hip-hop put this in your sig.