RC Nitro Stadium Trucks Discuss all aspects of rc nitro stadium trucks here

Newbies nitro question

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 06:56 PM
JerB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbies nitro question

hi guys

I have some " Newbie questions " for you guys, so I apologise if they sound somewhat weird.

1) I have a nitro evader and it says in the manual to prime the engine before I start it? my question is Do I prime the engine each time before I start it? ( Like in between runs, cause the pipe would be quite hot correct? ) or does it only have to be primed when completely out of fuel?

2) This question was answered for me but After run oil goes in the carb right? then pull the starter cord a couple of times?

3) Can I refuel the car while its running, ( Kinda like a real race car )

4) Can I run into problems if I run to Rich?? I dont want to run too lean a ruin the motor

Thanks guys

Jeremy
Old 10-17-2007, 07:56 PM
jatoracing33

Default RE: Newbies nitro question

1) no, you should only need to prime it the first time
2) it goes in the glow plug hole (take the plug out first of course)
3) i tried it once and it caused it to run very lean for half a tank, so i dont know
4) too rich is just as bad as too lean. the engine needs to get up to proper running temps in order to work properly. get a temp guage and make sure you start tuning from the factory settings. look for a healthy trail of smoke out of the exhaust pipe and make sure it isnt bogging down or cutting out. if it bogs out at the hit of the throttle, your low speed needle (lsn) is a little rich so lean it an 1/8 turn at a time. if it cuts out at the hit of the throttle then its too lean, so richen the lsn by 1/8 turn at a time. if it bogs down at high speeds or is sluggish then the high speed needle is too rich, so lean it 1/8 turn at a time. if it cuts out at high speed the richen the hsn 1/8 turn at a time. when you think you are done tuning and it seems to run good them check the temp (it should be between 240-280F) just to make sure you didnt go overboard or to check for an engine problem
Old 10-18-2007, 03:45 AM
JerB

I have heard that the after run oil goes in the carb not the glow plug? Im confused so it goes in the glow plug hole?

Jeremy
Old 10-18-2007, 09:46 AM
RCtruckRacer

It's actually good to put a few drops in both, then turn the engine over a few times. I personally don't use ARO unless the truck will not be run for a day or more. Also, you can refuel while the truck is running. You have to when you race!
Old 10-18-2007, 10:05 AM
DaveG55

If you want to put ARO in the glow plug hole be VERY, VERY careful. Any little bit of trash down that hole will ruin and engine no matter how much oil goes with it. A single grain of sand is enough to ruin an engine by scratching the piston and sleeve.
I never reccomend doing that at all. A few drops in the carb and a few pulls and you'll get good protection w/o as big a posibility of engine damage
Old 10-18-2007, 01:26 PM
JerB

thanks for the help guys

I appreciate it

Jeremy[8D]

PS- Another question guys, I plan on running my evader in parking lots only ( Not any tracks around here, or alot of fields for that matter ) so are fuel filters necessary?
Old 10-18-2007, 01:49 PM
DaveG55

Air filters are always necessary.
Fuel filters are a nice extra layer of protection but are not essential in any enviroment.
Old 10-20-2007, 08:34 AM
JerB

me again guys

Im going to run my car today and have a couple more questions[&:]

1 ) When finished for the day I remove any extra fuel from the tank and then try to start the car to burn off and extra fuel in the lines? I wouldnt have to connect the glow starter again right if the engine is still hot? only attach if the engine is cool??

2) When Im done and want to put after run oil in? I remove the air filter from the carb correct? and put 4-5 drops down there and turn the engine over a couple times, right?

3) My air filter is connected with a zip tie and have to remove it to get the air fileter elemet off, does anybody have a tip as to how to how I can cut it off without nicking the rubber elemet? also do I need to have it zipped tied down all the time? or will it stay attatched without coming off?

Again guys thanks for having the patience with me as Im still very new to Nitro and want to make sure that Im not going to do something to damgae my new car[8D]

Jeremy
Old 10-20-2007, 10:12 AM
JerB

also forgot to ask, Is it good practice to put a drop of ARO in the glow plug hole before starting a engine for the first time?

Cheers
Old 10-20-2007, 11:01 AM
Nick2618

Every time you start the truck you need the glow igniator. Even if the engine is hot.

To cut a zip tie just take your scissors and cut the part where it actually comes together. YOu know the big part. It might take a couple tries but you wont cut your rubber thing that way. Some cars need a zip tite some dont. If your airfilter sits on the carb tight you prolly can get away with out a zup tie. But if its loose you need it. If the air filter ever comes off stop the truck ASAP and find it or you are done for the day. Thats why its a good idea to keep extra. Also always clean your filters and keep them oiled. \

I usualyy pop my airfilter off put a couple drops in teh carb. THen pull the string like 3 times. Then i will do that 2 or 3 more times. I keep my engine oily...LOL.
Old 10-20-2007, 11:03 AM
Nick2618

ORIGINAL: JerB

also forgot to ask, Is it good practice to put a drop of ARO in the glow plug hole before starting a engine for the first time?

Cheers
Never heard that but there is a couple of things you can do to make it start easier if it dose not. First thing is loosen the glow plug just a little when starting the truck during break in. Rember to tighten the plug back up after you get it started. Another thing if you truck is really hard to turn over you can use a hair dryer of heat gun to preheat the engine and make it turn over eaiser.
Old 10-20-2007, 11:42 AM
JerB

thanks my friend

The oil in the glow plug before the engine is startred I saw in the December issue of Radio Control car action. never heard of it either until I read that article

again thanks for the help

Jeremy