Notices
RC Nitro Stadium Trucks Discuss all aspects of rc nitro stadium trucks here

WD-40

Old 08-19-2010, 02:25 PM
clangbang

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: WD-40

I would rather buy a bottle of after run for around five bucks than put wd-40 in my engine.
People, quit being so cheap.
Old 09-07-2010, 04:19 AM
flyoz
My Feedback: (7)

Siiiggh This thread will never end
Old 09-07-2010, 05:05 AM
clangbang

I hope not, if this thread dies they just as well too shut the whole forum down. lol
Old 09-07-2010, 10:26 AM
bigdogkanicsar

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMO it's sad to think that people actually beleive that WD-40 is a lubricant.
especially when it's only a glorified penetrating fluid.
we all might as well go and buy liquid wrench and use that as after run.
i mean when you use WD-40 that i basicly what you are doing
Old 09-28-2010, 03:08 PM
moe7404

started working on my own cars in 1965 shortly after an old mechanic showed me marvel mystery old. started useing it in street engines. i started in r/c 4 mo 09. started useing it for after run oil my nitro engines have no rust, no wear. i did break the con rod 2 times piston 1 time, i over reved it
Old 09-28-2010, 04:04 PM
bigdogkanicsar

ORIGINAL: moe7404

started working on my own cars in 1965 shortly after an old mechanic showed me marvel mystery old. started useing it in street engines. i started in r/c 4 mo 09. started useing it for after run oil my nitro engines have no rust, no wear. i did break the con rod 2 times piston 1 time, i over reved it
marvel mystery oil is the bomb.
after run oil is basicly marvel mystery oil and that is what i use.
for the price you get 20 times the amount that you get with the average bottle of ARO
Old 09-28-2010, 04:21 PM
moe7404

hey bigdogkanicsar: try mmo in your street truck. mine starts a lot faster. just 4 oz to 10 gal of gasoline. keeps injectors clean. check out http://www.ampcolubes.com/index.php they have a upper oiler, like the old marvel inverse oiler. i put mmo in the fuel tank AND the ampco oiler. after a year its doing fine.
Old 09-28-2010, 04:22 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts

ORIGINAL: bigdogkanicsar

for the price you get 20 times the amount that you get with the average bottle of ARO
ARO is more like Transmission fluid in terms of viscosity. Transmission fluid works great as an after-run fluid also. Pretty much any type of oil will work. You could use 2-stroke oil for gas engines as ARO, too.. In fact that would probably be better to use than anything else discussed.. Especially synthetic.

If you run fuel with a bit of castor in it, you don't really need ARO as the castor will protect the internal parts fairly well, also.
Old 09-29-2010, 01:03 AM
bigdogkanicsar

hey bigdogkanicsar: try mmo in your street truck. mine starts a lot faster. just 4 oz to 10 gal of gasoline. keeps injectors clean. check out http://www.ampcolubes.com/index.php they have a upper oiler, like the old marvel inverse oiler. i put mmo in the fuel tank AND the ampco oiler. after a year its doing fine.
good tip and i already do.
another additive is chemtools B12, keeps fuel from varnishing in carbs/injectors etc.........

these would be the only two i ever use in my tank
Old 09-29-2010, 01:10 AM
bigdogkanicsar

ORIGINAL: 1QwkSport2.5r

ORIGINAL: bigdogkanicsar

ARO is more like Transmission fluid in terms of viscosity. Transmission fluid works great as an after-run fluid also. Pretty much any type of oil will work. You could use 2-stroke oil for gas engines as ARO, too.. In fact that would probably be better to use than anything else discussed.. Especially synthetic.

If you run fuel with a bit of castor in it, you don't really need ARO as the castor will protect the internal parts fairly well, also.
the biggest reason i use after run oil, and not to disagree, but castor oil has a habbit of gumming and after run oil( marvel mystery oil, tranny fluid ) doesn't and they are a major rust preventor. also keeps the gumming action of castor oil from clogging up small oil holes such as conrod and in some engines the small oil hole in the crank for the bearings.
the fuel we use in these nitro engines evaps quickly and creates condensation and that condesation is hell any steel parts( cranks, bearings, bearing races ), also this fuel is much like brake fluid in it's tendancy to soak up moisture and inviting rust in the process.
after run keeps this from happening.
Old 09-29-2010, 08:09 AM
quietnas1

I do use liberal amounts of wd-40 to clean my engine and pipe on the inside. After I drain it I use a few drops of after run oil. Been doing it for a very long time and have never had an issue.
Old 09-29-2010, 10:21 AM
bigdogkanicsar

i'm not sayin WD-40 is a bad cleaner by any means, that stuff will eat through quite a bit of stuff, no doubt.
and if you are using ARO after the fact then i would say you are on the right track.
personally, thinkin back to when i was a kid and i used WD-40 as bicycle chain lube and how much more dirt & dust stuck to it compared to when i got older and found actual chain lube, it's something i wouldn't use as an exterior cleaner.
then again to each his own.
Old 10-03-2010, 07:56 PM
MACGYVER1

Me and ALL of my friends that run nitro r/c boats use it.We remove the plug, spray wd-40 in the carb while spinning the motor with the starter till it starts blowing out of the glo plug hole.Been doing it this way for over 30 years . Never had a problem doing it this way.
Old 10-03-2010, 08:52 PM
rcslsafut

wd 40 does a great job at what it was made for; WATER DISPLACEMENT!!!
thats all its good for in my opinion , after run oil is made for just that purpose
to lubricated after running , as mentioned alcohol is prevalent in our fuel and
we all know alcohol have no lubrication properties ,thus the oil mixed into the fuel !
so use after run oil for your r/c nitro engine , and use wd 40 for displacing the water
out of your distributor cap

and if you dont know , when they run alcohol in a two stroke engine , such as a hopped up wheeler or snowmobile
they always run a little race gas mixed w/ two cycle oil afterwards to lubricate the cylinder for the next time
because the alcohol will wash the cylinder dry ,which if there is any humidity,IT WILL RUST !!!
Old 10-03-2010, 10:15 PM
johndavis

wd -40 is a good parts cleaner it does have some lubricating properties but is short lived.i clean with wd-40 then i use aro afterwards. i use simple green for the rest of the buggy. mmo has benn around a while, it is the same as aro. ive used both. when i change the oil in my cars i put a little mmo in it my engines stay clean and valves dont clatter. 5 qts around 6 oz is what mixture i use. it works for me. and some in the gas helps too. the cleaner you keep your nitroengine the better it will run and will last longer. i race my buggy, after the heat races i put a drop of aro in before the main to give it a little lubricating for the long run along with a clean air filter.with good air filter oil. air filter oil helps the engine too not just keeping the dirt out but it lubes some.but not much. i have used k&n air filter oil it is harder on the filter material there must be something that eats the foam we use in our filters. after about 3 cleanings they fall apart.
Old 10-03-2010, 10:43 PM
bigdogkanicsar

ORIGINAL: johndavis

wd -40 is a good parts cleaner it does have some lubricating properties but is short lived.i clean with wd-40 then i use aro afterwards. i use simple green for the rest of the buggy. mmo has benn around a while, it is the same as aro. ive used both. when i change the oil in my cars i put a little mmo in it my engines stay clean and valves dont clatter. 5 qts around 6 oz is what mixture i use. it works for me. and some in the gas helps too. the cleaner you keep your nitroengine the better it will run and will last longer. i race my buggy, after the heat races i put a drop of aro in before the main to give it a little lubricating for the long run along with a clean air filter.with good air filter oil. air filter oil helps the engine too not just keeping the dirt out but it lubes some.but not much. i have used k&n air filter oil it is harder on the filter material there must be something that eats the foam we use in our filters. after about 3 cleanings they fall apart.
+1
i use dynamite air filter oil, not too thick and not too thin washes out easily with dawn dish washing liquid.
Old 10-04-2010, 12:48 AM
quietnas1

What do you guys think about 3 in 1 oil? I use it on bearings and never had an issue but all this reading has me second guessing myself.
Old 10-04-2010, 03:08 AM
bigdogkanicsar

3 in 1 oil is pretty decent for bearings(not engine bearings though) i would think, but isn't that what it's meant for?
i wouldn't use it for an after run though
Old 10-04-2010, 04:45 AM
johndavis

i have used 3in1 oil too on bearings with no problem. 3in 1 would be better for aro than wd-40. i keep 3-1 oil in my tool box. i have heard of using slick50 to store a nitro engine before. have to take it apart and clean it out before use but it protects against dust dirt and rust.
Old 10-04-2010, 11:38 AM
bigdogkanicsar

ORIGINAL: johndavis

3in 1 would be better for aro than wd-40.
i would have to agree with you on this.
although i have have never tried it.
Old 10-04-2010, 12:33 PM
savagecommander

WD-40 main component is hexane, a solvent, and used in conjunction with mineral oil, produces a "gum out" lubricating spray, and since the components are hydrocarbons, they displace water. 3 in 1 oil however has an advantage- it contains spindle oil as well as a rust inhibitor(and citronella oil) so in a long term "moisture" issue, the 3 in 1 would do a better job at controlling corrosion. although, assuming you run your motor dry of fuel, the aluminum would be protected from corrosion by the thin layer of oil(whichever it may be) and if im not mistaken, the same would apply for steel components in the motor, as long as there is a layer of oil, corrosion should be a minimum.

personally i use wd40 to clean bearings, 3 in 1 to drill, and after run in my motors.
Old 10-04-2010, 01:00 PM
bigdogkanicsar

ORIGINAL: savagecommander

WD-40 main component is hexane, a solvent, and used in conjunction with mineral oil, produces a ''gum out'' lubricating spray, and since the components are hydrocarbons, they displace water. 3 in 1 oil however has an advantage- it contains spindle oil as well as a rust inhibitor(and citronella oil) so in a long term ''moisture'' issue, the 3 in 1 would do a better job at controlling corrosion. although, assuming you run your motor dry of fuel, the aluminum would be protected from corrosion by the thin layer of oil(whichever it may be) and if im not mistaken, the same would apply for steel components in the motor, as long as there is a layer of oil, corrosion should be a minimum.

personally i use wd40 to clean bearings, 3 in 1 to drill, and after run in my motors.
makes sense to me, i use wd40 for cleaning bearings too and follow up with an oil.
Old 10-04-2010, 09:53 PM
MCSRacing
My Feedback: (2)

marvel it the bomb for sure .. but wd40 will also work, the purpose of the ARO is to keep the motor from rusting. correct? ... wd40 is a water dispersant hence the wd .. it works fine, i know guys that have used it for like 20 years and swear by it .. i have used it on a few motors and they got major gallons put through em so really if ARO, wd40, marvel ... what ever works for ya, then use it!!
Old 10-04-2010, 10:55 PM
bigdogkanicsar

after run oil is also for lube as well as rust prevention and to keep the remaining castor oil from gumming up.
WD-40 gumms up when it dries and is a penetrating fluid.
i do realize it says lubricant on the can ,but what they don't say is that it temperary at best and over night is dry leaving you with a dry start on your next run.
Old 10-16-2010, 08:28 PM
moe7404

i like marvel mystery oil..i use it in my street truck. been useing it for 3 decades on the street.