Notices
RC Nitro Stadium Trucks Discuss all aspects of rc nitro stadium trucks here

WD-40

Old 11-02-2007, 07:41 PM
NitroNate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WD-40

How many of you guys use WD-40 instead of using after run oil.Is it just as good?
Old 11-02-2007, 08:18 PM
theradioflyer

Default RE: WD-40

DO NOT USE WD-40! It is proven to evaporate and attract moister! BAD BAD BAD! Trust me on this, 20 years of glow engines under my belt. Stick to after run oil.

God Bless!
Old 11-02-2007, 08:37 PM
digifox

+ it eats away the oil/grease whatever in the engine

So you end up with pre-mature wear
Old 11-02-2007, 08:39 PM
rclynx

DO NOT USE WD-40! It is proven to evaporate and attract moister!
OK[&:]
Old 11-02-2007, 09:17 PM
jatoracing33

i dont use anything
Old 11-03-2007, 05:05 AM
rushevoracer

after every run i idle the car until all fuel is out of the engine then put 2 drops of after run oil in the carb and glow plug hole and turn it over a couple of times
Old 11-03-2007, 10:12 AM
twomanytoys

If you use sidewinder you wont need to use anything.
Old 11-03-2007, 02:02 PM
Xtfreak

If you use sidewinder you wont need to use anything
how is that possible?
Old 11-03-2007, 02:21 PM
jatoracing33

it has after run oil in it
Old 11-03-2007, 07:38 PM
theradioflyer

I don't use anything as well unless I don't run it for 2 months, then I put some oil in it. I saw a motor that the guy used WD-40 and there was pitting on the crank, the bearings were rusted, it was nasty. This was Airplane stuff but it all translates the same.
Old 11-04-2007, 10:15 AM
David302

ORIGINAL: theradioflyer

DO NOT USE WD-40! It is proven to evaporate and attract moister! BAD BAD BAD! Trust me on this, 20 years of glow engines under my belt. Stick to after run oil.

God Bless!
I hate to be a contrarian but WD40 absolutely positively does not “attract” water. Alcohol is hygroscopic and alcohol is one component of our nitro fuel. The whole purpose of the after run process is to flush out the alcohol. I’m sure everyone can come up with some anecdotal evidence or second hand story of someone who religiously did there ARP and there engine was so pitted you could see daylight through the crankcase. Of course your friend “claimed” he was religious about it most likely it was seldom done and since you were not there every time you really don’t know.

Several engine manufactures suggest to use WD40 and I really don’t believe it would be in there best interest to so without a foundation of knowledge of that product. They don’t manufacture WD40 and don’t sell it so there would be absolutely no monetary incentive for them to do so.

If you live in a dry climate you can certainly get by without doing your ARP much easier than someone in a coastal region. When I lived on the Texas coast I had to drain my air compressor every day and would get several cups of water out. Here in Colorado I very seldom see more than a few drops of water running the compressor under the same conditions.

Does anyone know what WD40 stands for? “Water displacement perfected on the 40th try.” Would you like to learn more? http://www.wd40.com/AboutUs/our_history.html

All this being said, I use WD40 for my ARP and if the car is going to sit for a while I follow the WD40 with a few drops of after run oil. It may be over kill but it takes only seconds to do and I can see no downside to it.

I’m also suspicious of any fuel that claims you don’t need to do ARP. Their fuel still has alcohol in it and that’s what the ARP does is flush the alcohol out. It wouldn’t matter if it has after run oil in it, you need to flush out the alcohol. If you are comfortable with not doing your ARP or you live in a dry enough climate to “get by” without doing it great but it wouldn’t be something I would be comfortable recommending.

Sorry for the long rant but I found some of the misinformation so egregious I couldn’t keep my mouth shut. I’m sure I will ruffle someone’s feathers with this. That’s not my intent.

BTW: I am not a representative, salesman nor do I own any WD40 stock. I just hate to see any product slammed by someone who has no actual knowledge of the product.

Old 11-04-2007, 08:27 PM
theradioflyer

So they perfected the water displacement on they're 40th try, and the next day... the water came back JB 80 does a much nicer job than WD 40 but I also would not recommend it as an after run oil. The products are apples and oranges. After run is meant to coat the parts and stick for a long lasting protection.
Old 11-04-2007, 09:07 PM
David302

I’m really not advocating using WD40 as much as I am challenging your assertion. “DO NOT USE WD-40! It is proven to evaporate and attract moister!” If you have some documentation that supports your assertion I would like to see it. Or you could simply state you have no documentation and this is only your opinion. When you exaggerate to make a point you lose credibility.

I’m not trying to embarrass you I am simply trying to keep the information on here credible. There are many people that are very new to the hobby and it helps them out if our information is based a little more on facts.

More than coating an engine with oil the after run process is to flush the engine of any methanol. The methanol attracts moisture (that’s what hygroscopic means) if there is no moisture there is no rust. If you are storing an engine for extended periods I think it’s a good idea to use some sort of ARO.

The following quote is from a major engine manufacturer.

“When a nitro engine is shut off, some excess unburned fuel remains in
the engine. The methanol in model engine fuel is hygroscopic, which
means it easily attracts and absorbs moisture. This moisture can cause
rust and corrosion on the steel engine parts (crankshaft, bearings, wrist
pin and starter shaft) if the fuel is not removed from the engine.”
Old 11-04-2007, 09:51 PM
rclynx

I’m really not advocating using WD40 as much as I am challenging your assertion. “DO NOT USE WD-40! It is proven to evaporate and attract moister!” If you have some documentation that supports your assertion I would like to see it. Or you could simply state you have no documentation and this is only your opinion. When you exaggerate to make a point you lose credibility.

I’m not trying to embarrass you I am simply trying to keep the information on here credible. There are many people that are very new to the hobby and it helps them out if our information is based a little more on facts.

More than coating an engine with oil the after run process is to flush the engine of any methanol. The methanol attracts moisture (that’s what hygroscopic means) if there is no moisture there is no rust. If you are storing an engine for extended periods I think it’s a good idea to use some sort of ARO.

The following quote is from a major engine manufacturer.

“When a nitro engine is shut off, some excess unburned fuel remains in
the engine. The methanol in model engine fuel is hygroscopic, which
means it easily attracts and absorbs moisture. This moisture can cause
rust and corrosion on the steel engine parts (crankshaft, bearings, wrist
pin and starter shaft) if the fuel is not removed from the engine.”
[X(] I'm so confused [sm=drowning.gif]<------------ I thought that is what happened after WD 40[&:] You mean the US Navy didn't waste all that money way back in the day[:-] I'll be darned
Old 11-05-2007, 01:31 AM
XXT-CRer

wd40 is good stuff, but not the best for after run oil, although it is better than nothing.

marvel mystery oil is a great after run oil. probably as good as any after run oil on the market.

twomanytoys is correct. there is an additive in sidewinder fuels that practically eliminates the need for any afterun oil. i switched from trinity race blend to sidewinder a few years back and the stuff is great. it tunes like the premium fuels such as byrons and odonnels which is really saying a lot.
Old 11-05-2007, 01:59 AM
David302

I agree, I don’t think WD40 is the best to use as after run oil. I’m sure this is overkill but I use WD40 to flush the engine then put a few drops of 50/50 Marvel Mystery oil and ATF.

I realize the Sidwinder fuel claims you don’t need to do after run with their fuel. Personally I am more comfortable knowing I have all the methanol out of my engine. Truth is if you live in a dry climate you could probably get by without after run processes all together.

My thought is if I really minded the maintenance I would go electric. I enjoy all the sounds and smells associated with nitro and yes I even enjoy the after run process.
Old 11-05-2007, 06:08 PM
Nitro Bill

Since WD-40 is what Traxxas recommends then I'm sure its fine to use. Just a one second spray in the carb and in the glow plug hole and then turn the motor over a few times and thats it.. Just make sure all the fuel tank is empty and all the fuel in the motor is burnt before doing that..
Old 11-06-2007, 09:21 PM
cord arrow

Fellas...WD40 is aerosol kerosene. Despite claims made to the contrary, David, that's basically what it is. Forty years in the lubrication industry has taught me a few things...WD is a solvent, with a small amount of lubricating value. Works perfectly for it's intended purpose, sticky screen doors, rusty hinges. You guys want to spray this into your $500 Nova's, well, more power to you. Better than nothing for your Traxxas/Hpi mills I suppose...whatever works.
Old 11-07-2007, 12:46 AM
David302

I’m not sure where you started reading in this thread but I never really endorse nor am I trying to persuade anyone to use WD40. My whole reason for posting was because someone said “DO NOT USE WD-40! It is proven to evaporate and attract moister!” I don’t know what is in WD40, you don’t know what’s in WD40 but I do know it does not attract moisture it displaces moisture.

The main reason for rust inside an RC engine is, the methanol in the fuel does attract moisture. If you flush the methanol out you are better off.

As to whether or not WD40 has kerosene in it you need to take it up with WD40. This is from their site.

“What does WD-40 contain?
While the ingredients in WD-40 are secret, we can tell you what WD-40 does NOT contain. WD-40 does not contain silicone, kerosene, water, wax, graphite, chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs), or any known cancer-causing agents.”

It would be unconscionable for such a large company to make such a proclamation if it were not true.

http://www.wd40.com/AboutUs/our_history.html

Old 11-07-2007, 10:26 AM
rclynx

Finally 2 right answers in a row and funding for the developement of WD40 came from us good old tax payers via US Navy because the old term for a Navy ship was a rust bucket.........lol I don't know about that but that was what they called them[&o]
Old 11-07-2007, 04:19 PM
DaveG55

Here is the MSDS for WD 40, it's worth reading and researching the comoponants.
http://wd40.com/Brands/pdfs/msds-wd40_aerosol.us.pdf

It may not have actual kerosene or paraffin wax in it but those things are "kissin cousins" to what it does have.

For what little it's worth, my opinion (and that's all it is, an opinion) is that WD 40 has it's place and uses but a whole LOT of what circulates about it is BS. I don't think that it will hurt an engine but I'll no more spray it in one of mine than I'd use it as bait or a cure for arthritis.

Oh, and by the way, it was not made for the Navy. That's BS too. It was made for the Aerospace industry by a private company called Rocket Chemical Company and first used to protect the skin of an Atlas Missile. I certainly don't know how much, or even if, taxpayer money went into it and won't speculate about it either.
Old 11-07-2007, 06:35 PM
rclynx

Isn't BS boy[&o]don't know why I even bother but you Georgia twerps think your something your not.............who the hell do you think had Atlas ( US Navel Weapons Division)
Old 11-07-2007, 07:08 PM
DaveG55

Poor baby, did you get your feelings hurt soo bad you have to call names????

And if you're gonna get your panties all in a wad you should get YOUR facts straight.

The Atlas, first tested in 1957, was the United States' first successful ICBM (Intercontinental Ballistic Missile). It was a "1.5 stage", liquid-fueled (LOX and RP-1) rocket, with three engines producing 1,590 kN of thrust.

Atlas, named for the Atlas of Greek mythology, got its start in 1946 with the award of an Army Air Forces research contract to Convair for the study of a 1,500 to 5,000 mi. (2,400 to 8,000 km) range nuclear armed missile. The Convair team was led by Karel Bossart. This was the MX-774 or Hiroc project. The contract was canceled in 1947 but the Army Air Forces allowed Convair to launch the three almost-completed research vehicles using the remaining contract funds. The three flights were only partially successful. However they did show that balloon tanks, and gimbaled rocket engines were valid concepts. In 1955, the CIA learned that the Soviet ICBM program was making progress so Atlas became a crash program of the highest national importance.
Old 11-07-2007, 09:30 PM
cord arrow

It is what it is....an excellent solvent, a great starting fluid. Cleans out tapped holes in the machine shop well. "Suspends" moisture...if you care to call this displacing moisture, well, spend some time on a wire EDM and we'll talk about it more...
If it walks like a duck, and talks like a duck, this administration is prepared to call it kerosene.
My motors, if they get anything at all, are treated with a "boutique" fogging oil we use to treat newly manufactured large-scale air compressors, both piston powered and screw type. Somewhat cosmoline in nature, which I don't particularly care for, but it's the best I've found. Attacks moisture, opposed to merely chasing it around.
Old 11-07-2007, 10:55 PM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

Correct me if I am wrong but the only engine manufacture that recommends WD40 is Traxxas and all others say not to use it. WD40 is a water displacement and does not absorb moister like after run oil. I look at like this a bottle of after run oil is less then $3 an engine cost how much? To me it is just cheap insurance. As far as Sidewinder fuel it leaves so much brownish residue it is no wonder they say you do not need after run oil and is why I will NEVER run it again. [X(]

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.