Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Nitro Stadium Trucks
Reload this Page >

newly broken in HPI Firestorm won't start

Community
Search
Notices
RC Nitro Stadium Trucks Discuss all aspects of rc nitro stadium trucks here

newly broken in HPI Firestorm won't start

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 12:02 PM
tripleup05

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default newly broken in HPI Firestorm won't start

A buddy of mine just bought a new HPI Firestorm, and he broke it in on Saturday. He said he followed the instructions carefully and everything went smooth. After break in, he ran a tank of gas, and all went well. Yesterday he went to start it up, and it would not start. He has brought it to me because he thinks I know alot about R/C cars, but all I really know about is electric. Anyways, I read the manual thoroughly, primed the engine as described, and pulled away. Nothing. I thought it might be flooded, but nothing came out of the glow plug hole when I cranked on it. Plenty of fuel leaked out of the exhaust when I tipped it to get the plug and washer out though. I put a brand new glow plug in it, primed it, and pulled again. Still nothing. I richened it by 1/16 turn and tried again to no avail. Now I am out of ideas. Any help would be greaty appreciated. Thanks fellas!!!
Old 02-11-2008, 12:32 PM
NitroNate

Default RE: newly broken in HPI Firestorm won't start

Check the engine over for leaks,its most likely a simple thing that we just don't see.Tighten the screws on the heat sink,the exhaust header,and make sure the glow plug is snug as well.Oh yeah!,make sure your glow plug ignitor is fully charged.
Old 02-11-2008, 01:48 PM
motorhead91

heat the head with a hair-dryer, and try starting it with a hot plug, once it gets started, you can either put a cold/medium plug back on, or just keep running the hot plug
Old 02-11-2008, 02:24 PM
tripleup05

Ok I will give that a shot. We are going to hobbytown today. So whats teh difference between a hot and cold plug?
Old 02-11-2008, 03:20 PM
RCUSEE

normally you use hot ones when its colder and cold ones when its warmer outside
i always run hot ones in my truck and it always drinks its fuel till the end
Old 02-11-2008, 05:40 PM
BlindObject
My Feedback: (11)

You are use the glow plug starter...right?

Also, try to accelerate A LITTLE when pulling.
Old 02-11-2008, 06:26 PM
wolfgang123

try leaning it out i had a problem like this with my gt2
Old 02-12-2008, 11:35 AM
tripleup05

We took it up to Hobbytown, and the man said we were simply overpriming it, thus causing it to flood. He said to give it just two pulls covering the exhaust, which we did, and it fired right up a few pulls later. So now that it is running, its time to try and tune it. What temp should we shoot for? Right now it is running at about 247-250, but it bogs occasionally at high speeds. I assume we should lean out the high speed needle a little at a time to fix this? And never go over 270, right?
Old 02-12-2008, 11:48 AM
NitroNate

If its "bogging" at high speed then it probably needs to be richer,since the temps are around 250 its probably to lean.You should try to keep your temps around 220-230
Old 06-16-2008, 05:17 PM
groener

my firestorm i broke it in then the next day i tried to start it and the fuel wasnt flowing out of the fuel tank into my carb. everything seems fine it just wont pump fuel out of my tank into my carb.
Old 06-16-2008, 06:52 PM
NitroNate

Are you sure its not to much fuel???Try leaning your LSN.
Old 06-16-2008, 07:25 PM
groener

no it isnt that. it just dosnt want to constontly flow from my fuel tank ? it just dosnt want to flow to the carb like there is no suckshin from the fuel tank.
Old 06-16-2008, 09:53 PM
Mspeed

check your exhaust for leaks, paycareful attention around the couplier on the exhaust. If you have zero flow and you cant get it primed to the carb you probably have the dreaded blockage in your carb. Just take the pressure line off the tank and check by blowing into the line see if it pushes fuel to the carb. I fix the blockage by pulling the line off the carb and attacking my fuel bottle to the carb and just forcing fuel right into it. Usually the blockage is left over oil that gumed up the carb inside, nothing thats going to hurt by blowing it through. You can spray some Wd-40 right into the carb fuel inlet if you want to help loosen up the block.
Old 06-03-2009, 02:43 PM
kunalv

hey i just bought a HPI Firestorm. this is my first RC machine. i tried to start it but it just refuses to start. i took a friends help who is also into Rc's but he could not do much either. the problem that we realized is that when we pull start it there is enough fuel in the glow plug hole, but still it refuses to start. the full often gets hard so we unwind the glow plug and let the excess fuel out. i tried to prime it again but still the same reuslt. after a few pulls it gets hard.
ive tried to richen it but in vain. i then tried to lean it a littel but again the same result. it started once for like half a second but it just died.
Please help....thanks in advance!!!
Old 06-03-2009, 04:23 PM
Chris_RC

Lean the LSN when tring to start. Also blip the throttle from WOT to idle quickly. Preheat with a heat gun to 240 (hair dryer doesnt work good but better than nothing) and do not overprime it. That is what you are doing, because it gets hard to pull.