RC Nitro Stadium Trucks Discuss all aspects of rc nitro stadium trucks here

Official Traxxas Jato 3.3 Thread

Reply
Old 03-04-2009, 05:49 PM
  #351
jaykay108
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Fort Branch, IN
Posts: 25
Default RE: Official Traxxas Jato 3.3 Thread

Turning everything back to factory settings unfortunately did not not work. The wheels just won't stop turning. The wheels spin even during start up. I guess I'm gonna start taking this thing apart. Thats part of the hobby huh!
jaykay108 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 06:04 PM
  #352
ajk2649
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Clarksville, TN
Posts: 187
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Official Traxxas Jato 3.3 Thread


Quote:
ORIGINAL: jaykay108

Turning everything back to factory settings unfortunately did not not work. The wheels just won't stop turning. The wheels spin even during start up. I guess I'm gonna start taking this thing apart. Thats part of the hobby huh!
well you can try what one of the guys said earlier in the thread about your clutch. It sounds like that could be it. Take your clutch bell off, after that take the clutch off. when you have that off your spring thats wraped around the clutch should be really tight. If it has 2 much strech 2 it thats gonna be a problem. The thing is when your clutch and spring become worn out.....while the engine is just at an idel its allowing the clutch 2 engage and inturn, spinning the wheels. so really no matter how u have it tuned its still gonna allow the clutch 2 engage and give u problems. If anything its prolly ur spring that has lost some of its tension. Did u buy the truck new or used?
ajk2649 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 06:14 PM
  #353
ajk2649
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Clarksville, TN
Posts: 187
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Official Traxxas Jato 3.3 Thread

And thanks quietnas for the ling 2 the break cam lever. I just ordered one. My breaks are really sucking. I finally got a great tune 2 my stage 2 ABmodded 3.3 and man that thing rips. I have the jacos on the rear but cant get much traction. I gotta ease into the throttle and once it gets going I can open it all the way up. I guess I'll have 2 adjust my slipper clutch a little more.. Its a huge diff from the stock 3.3 tho. The parking lot I normally run in now isnt big enough for me 2 open it up so I gotta find a new place 2 run.
ajk2649 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 06:34 PM
  #354
jaykay108
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Fort Branch, IN
Posts: 25
Default RE: Official Traxxas Jato 3.3 Thread

I bought the truck new. It is about 6 weeks old. I will be taking it apart in a couple hours so well see.
jaykay108 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 06:40 PM
  #355
quietnas1
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: MIAMI, FL
Posts: 2,308
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Official Traxxas Jato 3.3 Thread

jaykay did you also check the brakes?
quietnas1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 06:50 PM
  #356
jaykay108
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Fort Branch, IN
Posts: 25
Default RE: Official Traxxas Jato 3.3 Thread

Maybe you could help me out with that. Do the brakes keep the wheels from spinning in idle? If so, do you think I should adjust my servo? Your response earlier kind of has me thinking. The trucks I have dealt with in the past have a completely different operation between throttle and brake. I am gonna review your pics and see if that solves the problem. How do you know if your brakes are bad? Is the brake adjusting screw very helpful?
jaykay108 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 06:54 PM
  #357
ajk2649
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Clarksville, TN
Posts: 187
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Official Traxxas Jato 3.3 Thread


Quote:
ORIGINAL: jaykay108

Maybe you could help me out with that. Do the brakes keep the wheels from spinning in idle? If so, do you think I should adjust my servo? Your response earlier kind of has me thinking. The trucks I have dealt with in the past have a completely different operation between throttle and brake. I am gonna review your pics and see if that solves the problem. How do you know if your brakes are bad? Is the brake adjusting screw very helpful?
If you can post a vid of the truck running that would help alot
ajk2649 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 06:57 PM
  #358
jaykay108
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Fort Branch, IN
Posts: 25
Default RE: Official Traxxas Jato 3.3 Thread

I will try to post one.
jaykay108 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 07:03 PM
  #359
ajk2649
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Clarksville, TN
Posts: 187
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Official Traxxas Jato 3.3 Thread

You may have already seen this but if not its pretty helpful


http://www.traxxas.com/support/kb_se...l&cat=0&id=276
ajk2649 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 07:42 PM
  #360
jaykay108
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Fort Branch, IN
Posts: 25
Default RE: Official Traxxas Jato 3.3 Thread

Slipper clutch pads are in pretty bad shape. Please tell me that this could be the cause.
jaykay108 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 07:49 PM
  #361
ajk2649
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Clarksville, TN
Posts: 187
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Official Traxxas Jato 3.3 Thread

I would have 2 say no. Slipper clutch is more like traction control. If you have major tire spin on take off u can unscrew the nut 1/4 turn or so and it will help and on the filp side of it if you are getting really poor take off u torque it down a bit and u'll get better traction and take off. Pics of things would help if u can. Dont worry bro Im sure u'll figure it all out. I had problems my 1st time as well.
ajk2649 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 07:53 PM
  #362
jaykay108
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Fort Branch, IN
Posts: 25
Default RE: Official Traxxas Jato 3.3 Thread

Damn! I have to tell you that I appreciate your help. I am going to dig further. If I don't find anything I will wash my greasy ass hands and post a vid. Thanks again
jaykay108 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 07:57 PM
  #363
quietnas1
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: MIAMI, FL
Posts: 2,308
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Official Traxxas Jato 3.3 Thread


Quote:
ORIGINAL: jaykay108

Maybe you could help me out with that. Do the brakes keep the wheels from spinning in idle? If so, do you think I should adjust my servo? Your response earlier kind of has me thinking. The trucks I have dealt with in the past have a completely different operation between throttle and brake. I am gonna review your pics and see if that solves the problem. How do you know if your brakes are bad? Is the brake adjusting screw very helpful?
The adjustment screws are very helpfull. When I was first having issues with my brakes the truck would roll forward between 5 to 10 mph. Then I adjusted the 2 screws on the pads and used the brake pring inside the fuel tubing. My brakes were not locking but the Jato was coming to a stop pretty quick. Then the plastic brake arm started to deform where it is held in by the nut. When the plastic arm wore out I was back to the truck not stopping. I then got the aluminum brake arms and boy what a differance. The brakes were locking up but at times they were binding and the brake disc was glazing. So I then installed the 3x3mm set screw which is used to hold the sway bar on the brake linkage. I instaled it a liitle less than a quarter inch away from the other side of the servo arm and that helps release the brakes all the time. Have never had an issue with my brakes ever since and it has been about a year now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh17263.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	1150450   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni23825.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	1150451   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ch97653.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	1150452  
quietnas1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 08:47 PM
  #364
jaykay108
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Fort Branch, IN
Posts: 25
Default RE: Official Traxxas Jato 3.3 Thread

Thanks, I will try that tomorrow. I have those parts. I will put them on and see if it helps. Do the brakes keep the truck still at idle? My truck rolls just like you said yours did. When i try to brake and stop the truck it eventually kills it.
jaykay108 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 09:43 PM
  #365
ajk2649
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Clarksville, TN
Posts: 187
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Official Traxxas Jato 3.3 Thread

ok the thing is u shouldn't have 2 apply brakes 2 keep the car stationary when u are at idel. If u are having 2 do that ur idel isn't set right and also maybe even ur low speed may be set 2 rich. U said I stalls when u apply break. It's prolly cuz u have ur idel screw set 2 little. U want about a .7 or 1.0mm gap. If the low speed is set 2 rich ur idel screw won't do all that much and I'm sure u prolly closed it in attempt 2 bring the idel down with not much of a difference. If ur sure ur tuning is pretty good then it's prolly gonna be ur clutch spring. U should be able 2 have ur car resting at an idel right in front of u w/out having 2 apply breaks and the car will just rest at a steady idel and not race forward or wanna kinds jump forward.
ajk2649 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 12:34 AM
  #366
quietnas1
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: MIAMI, FL
Posts: 2,308
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Official Traxxas Jato 3.3 Thread

You know after reading what ajk2649 said I started racking my brain. At first I was like ok maybe but he has a brand new Jato and then I remembered when my Jato got run over a few months ago. During the rebuild I had pulled the clutch bell off the old engine and noticed the stock clutch was broken near one of the pins. The spring was nice and tight but the plastic clutch was broken. I don't know. All I know is that now when I release my brakes the car does not roll but that is becuz of the way the screws on the pad are adjusted. Like if I push it with my foot the wheels spin but you feel a little resistance. If I completely losen those screws the car will roll a little. Maybe I have to try an MIP clutch. Had amazing luck with MIP on my RC10GT. Hell I'm going to check my clutch tomorrow and see how it looks. I'm using a stock Jato one with the .21TM. I wonder how it held. I will keep you posted.
quietnas1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 09:28 AM
  #367
devo208
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: philadelphia, PA
Posts: 401
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Official Traxxas Jato 3.3 Thread

i installed a 4 shoe clutch and man my take off is nasty, but next i'm going to install a centex clutch and be done with it. my mugen has a centex clutch and it is vishous.
devo208 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 12:02 PM
  #368
ajk2649
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Clarksville, TN
Posts: 187
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Official Traxxas Jato 3.3 Thread


Quote:
ORIGINAL: devo208

i installed a 4 shoe clutch and man my take off is nasty, but next i'm going to install a centex clutch and be done with it. my mugen has a centex clutch and it is vishous.

Yeah bro I was lookin at the 4 shoe clutch systems as well. do you use the stock spring that comes with the trx 3.3 engine or do you use the little springs? I bought a 3 shoe clutch and you can use the stock spring with it. But anyway, What 4 shoue clutch system did you go with and does it work with your 12tz with all the stock 3.3 patrs on it?
ajk2649 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 12:48 PM
  #369
ajk2649
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Clarksville, TN
Posts: 187
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Official Traxxas Jato 3.3 Thread


Quote:
ORIGINAL: quietnas1

You know after reading what ajk2649 said I started racking my brain. At first I was like ok maybe but he has a brand new Jato and then I remembered when my Jato got run over a few months ago. During the rebuild I had pulled the clutch bell off the old engine and noticed the stock clutch was broken near one of the pins. The spring was nice and tight but the plastic clutch was broken. I don't know. All I know is that now when I release my brakes the car does not roll but that is becuz of the way the screws on the pad are adjusted. Like if I push it with my foot the wheels spin but you feel a little resistance. If I completely losen those screws the car will roll a little. Maybe I have to try an MIP clutch. Had amazing luck with MIP on my RC10GT. Hell I'm going to check my clutch tomorrow and see how it looks. I'm using a stock Jato one with the .21TM. I wonder how it held. I will keep you posted.

Hey bro I seee you said you have the OS 21TM in your Jato and was thinking this Clutch may work with your set up but Im not sure. Its a great clutch that allows many different setups. Just have 2 be careful with how you set it up. Like what spring tension and what shoe you run with your engine because that is a pretty powerful engine and the Jato rear end is pretty weak in tearms of fast hits of tourqe like that engine can produce. But if u find the right spring tension and shoe setup your jato will have SUCH SICK take off and of course you'll have the hight top end you already have. Its just a thought. Not sure if it will work but you can do a little more research on it and try an find out if you are interested in it. Its kinda a big price tag but a great procuct and If you ask me and it would work for you I would deff get it. I was looking 2 get it but not sure that its gonna work with my .12tz or trx .3.3 Im gonna try 2 find more info on it. Be sure u read the info they have on the page and understand all you can do with it. Hope it works.


http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...oducts_id/2263
ajk2649 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 01:31 PM
  #370
quietnas1
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: MIAMI, FL
Posts: 2,308
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Official Traxxas Jato 3.3 Thread


Quote:
ORIGINAL: ajk2649


Quote:
ORIGINAL: quietnas1

You know after reading what ajk2649 said I started racking my brain. At first I was like ok maybe but he has a brand new Jato and then I remembered when my Jato got run over a few months ago. During the rebuild I had pulled the clutch bell off the old engine and noticed the stock clutch was broken near one of the pins. The spring was nice and tight but the plastic clutch was broken. I don't know. All I know is that now when I release my brakes the car does not roll but that is becuz of the way the screws on the pad are adjusted. Like if I push it with my foot the wheels spin but you feel a little resistance. If I completely losen those screws the car will roll a little. Maybe I have to try an MIP clutch. Had amazing luck with MIP on my RC10GT. Hell I'm going to check my clutch tomorrow and see how it looks. I'm using a stock Jato one with the .21TM. I wonder how it held. I will keep you posted.

Hey bro I seee you said you have the OS 21TM in your Jato and was thinking this Clutch may work with your set up but Im not sure. Its a great clutch that allows many different setups. Just have 2 be careful with how you set it up. Like what spring tension and what shoe you run with your engine because that is a pretty powerful engine and the Jato rear end is pretty weak in tearms of fast hits of tourqe like that engine can produce. But if u find the right spring tension and shoe setup your jato will have SUCH SICK take off and of course you'll have the hight top end you already have. Its just a thought. Not sure if it will work but you can do a little more research on it and try an find out if you are interested in it. Its kinda a big price tag but a great procuct and If you ask me and it would work for you I would deff get it. I was looking 2 get it but not sure that its gonna work with my .12tz or trx .3.3 Im gonna try 2 find more info on it. Be sure u read the info they have on the page and understand all you can do with it. Hope it works.


http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...oducts_id/2263
Wow that is a sweet set up. I checked my clutch today but it seems fine. Im figuring it could be that the stock spring could be to week for the motor. This clutch looks awesome. I'm gonna look further into it. Thanks man.
quietnas1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 01:39 PM
  #371
quietnas1
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: MIAMI, FL
Posts: 2,308
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Official Traxxas Jato 3.3 Thread

I finally bent a turn buckle after owning my Jato for a year and 3 months. Hit a curb sideways at about 55 mph with bald tires. Nothing else happened. The truck took the hit prety good.Word of caution DO NOT RUN THE JATO WITH BALD TIRES! When the brakes engaged from top speed it would just slide for about 100 to 120 feet. LOL I had a blast though. Also one of the ZIP TIES that hold the exhaust coupler slipped off and burnt a hole rite through the dirt gaurd.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn37921.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	8.4 KB
ID:	1150847   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id97154.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	10.0 KB
ID:	1150848   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yd82827.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	7.9 KB
ID:	1150849   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oh14015.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	10.1 KB
ID:	1150850  
quietnas1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 02:12 PM
  #372
ajk2649
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Clarksville, TN
Posts: 187
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Official Traxxas Jato 3.3 Thread


Quote:
ORIGINAL: quietnas1

I finally bent a turn buckle after owning my Jato for a year and 3 months. Hit a curb sideways at about 55 mph with bald tires. Nothing else happened. The truck took the hit prety good.Word of caution DO NOT RUN THE JATO WITH BALD TIRES! When the brakes engaged from top speed it would just slide for about 100 to 120 feet. LOL I had a blast though. Also one of the ZIP TIES that hold the exhaust coupler slipped off and burnt a hole rite through the dirt gaurd.

.As far as the clutch system I sent you.......If you still use all the stock jato flywheel and clutchbell its gonna be a problem cuz the stock bell is just a tad 2 small. The stock clutch diameter looks 2 be about 23mm and the werks clutch diameter is 25mm. The bell diameter is at about 26mm so its gonna rub when you put it on and thasts not gonna work. I already measured everything. thats an easy fix tho and Im already looking 4 a bell that will fit. Ill send you the info when I find it.
ajk2649 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 11:45 PM
  #373
60jato71
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: riverside, CA
Posts: 6
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Official Traxxas Jato 3.3 Thread

does you guys ever have any troubles with jato spinning when you gunnit
see if i took of slowly no problems but if try to speed up rapidly my car just spin like crazy
does any of you have the same problem?
i have the stock anaconda tires if i switch tires will that help?
some people tell me that thats the nature if the beast because tha jato's size and weigth
and the big 3.3 engine
any help ?

thanks for the help




hey guys finnaly i figure the problem with mi jato or so i think so
all i did is replace the anaconda tires for nuby tires and replace the stock shocks for integy shock and now i have no more problem whit them spinning when i open it to full throtle
so i hope this can help to any people that have the asme problem out there :>)
60jato71 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 10:49 PM
  #374
quietnas1
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: MIAMI, FL
Posts: 2,308
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Official Traxxas Jato 3.3 Thread

Hey 60jato71 I have gotton some mixed reviews on the Integy Shocks. I was thinking of getting them but Im not sure. How are they working out for you?
quietnas1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 02:26 AM
  #375
ajk2649
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Clarksville, TN
Posts: 187
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Official Traxxas Jato 3.3 Thread

Just want some thoughts from the thread.....What do you guys think about 24/40 gearing with a stage 2 modded 3.3 I ordered a few diff gear combos and wanna experiment.
ajk2649 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 01:50 AM.