Official Traxxas Jato 3.3 Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 12:40 AM
MonsterKawi314
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Official Traxxas Jato 3.3 Thread

Hello All!,
 I am proud to say I have finally gotten myself a Jato! My friend has the 3.3 and it is a beast! I was recently on Craigslist and saw a kid in my area with a Jato 2.5 for $200. I called him and set off to go check it out. When I got there, there were a few things (minor) which needed repair, (servo tray, bulkhead, and a good cleaning to get all the dog hair off it). So I offered him $150 and left with a new project. Now, I know this is a 3.3 forum so before you begin thrashing on me, let me tell you, I am in the process of converting it to the mack daddy 3.3. I am here to ask you guys, as I rebuild this thing, what parts are best for me to begin with, besides the motor, which I will be getting hopefully soon (thinking about the O.S. .21). I know Integy makes some good parts. I also wanted to know if you guys could point me in the direction of some GREEN anodized parts for it. I don't want the typical red, blue, or chrome. I have already painted a couple of killer bodies for it. I'll post pictures soon to show you guys. Any and all help is VERY appreciated. Thanks, and hope to be speaking with you all soon. -Brian
Old 06-07-2009, 01:05 AM
ajk2649

ORIGINAL: MonsterKawi314

Hello All!,
I am proud to say I have finally gotten myself a Jato! My friend has the 3.3 and it is a beast! I was recently on Craigslist and saw a kid in my area with a Jato 2.5 for $200. I called him and set off to go check it out. When I got there, there were a few things (minor) which needed repair, (servo tray, bulkhead, and a good cleaning to get all the dog hair off it). So I offered him $150 and left with a new project. Now, I know this is a 3.3 forum so before you begin thrashing on me, let me tell you, I am in the process of converting it to the mack daddy 3.3. I am here to ask you guys, as I rebuild this thing, what parts are best for me to begin with, besides the motor, which I will be getting hopefully soon (thinking about the O.S. .21). I know Integy makes some good parts. I also wanted to know if you guys could point me in the direction of some GREEN anodized parts for it. I don't want the typical red, blue, or chrome. I have already painted a couple of killer bodies for it. I'll post pictures soon to show you guys. Any and all help is VERY appreciated. Thanks, and hope to be speaking with you all soon. -Brian
I wouldnt put the .21 engine in it if i were you. Yeah its a power gain but if you ask quitnas1 he will tell you. I think he has already blew 2 trannys on his jato cuz the gears arnt made for the power. You could make it work by adjusting your slipper clutch but you will lose preformance cuz of the clutch slipping. So it just kinda defeats the cause of what you are trying 2 do. I hope that makes sense. The TRX 3.3 is actually a pretty good engine I think but if you want try going with OS18TZ with a 3 shoe clutch set upand get the engine modded. You will have no regets. This link below is a revo that weights more then the jato and you can see the power. It would be crazy in a jato. Just check it out. Hope it helps.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hw6WH...e=channel_page
Old 06-07-2009, 01:29 AM
MonsterKawi314

Right on. Thanks. As I said before, my friend has the 3.3, bone stock, and it is a MANIAC. The wheelie bar acts like its almost not even there. I have absolutely NO PROBLEM going with the TRX 3.3 Thanks why I ask you guys. You all know better than me the rigors of trial and error. Thanks for the heads up. I had just heard from a guy at the hobby shop that the O.S. was supposed to be a big power gain. Hope for his sake he knows about the gearing and what not.
Old 06-07-2009, 01:40 AM
ajk2649

Right on. Thanks. As I said before, my friend has the 3.3, bone stock, and it is a MANIAC. The wheelie bar acts like its almost not even there. I have absolutely NO PROBLEM going with the TRX 3.3 Thanks why I ask you guys. You all know better than me the rigors of trial and error. Thanks for the heads up. I had just heard from a guy at the hobby shop that the O.S. was supposed to be a big power gain. Hope for his sake he knows about the gearing and what not.
Yeah the os .21 puts out a lot of torque. a little 2 much for the jato tranny 2 take. It will work but soonerthen later the tranny will go. The 18TZ is pretty perfect for power torque and rpm 2 get you 2 the high speeds and you'll blow you buddies 3.3 away with the right set up.
Old 06-07-2009, 12:18 PM
devo208

i think its the radio
Old 06-07-2009, 12:59 PM
jbrobertsonjr

that what i was thinking thats why i asked had it done it before i knew you had changed radio may not be compatable with the traxxas jato glad you figured it out

Old 06-07-2009, 05:34 PM
Nesal

Hey guys I HAVE to share what I did today.....
 Me and a friend discovered this cool track (public track) about 15-20 min away, I dont have a track near my house, just a few mediocre bash spots and a bmx track so this was great news! So we go over there and take out the Jato and Hyper 7, of course, on track, the 1/8th buggy is much more fun but the Jato was OK anyway... we are playing around for about and hour and a half when I suddenly notice these 3 huge dirt jumps for motocross bikes like 300 feet away from the track, it didnt take us long to get over there with the Jato and a rustler I brought along to start out some serious bashing... we had a blast!! We were hitting 10 foot ramps in second gear on the Jato and the thing was flying all over the place, we did about 5-6 tanks on each car and didnt break a single thing!!! Incredible!! At the end it was like Ok take it further out and get MORE speed to hit the jump harder and lets see if it brakes.... AWESOME FUN!!
 Both have RPM upgrades but still... this was just brutal...
 Quick thing regarding Jato tires, the track is pretty compact hard dirt I have some proline bowties on the Jato and although I know they are an excellent tire they just werent hooking up... it was spinning out constantly! I loosened the slipper a little and that was beter but still... I would like to better the handling of it, any good tires you could reccomend? better than bowties for compact dirt? I was thinkg of also getting some MOABS or dirt hawgs for bashing around... any thoughts? Thanks!!!

Old 06-07-2009, 07:56 PM
nitrorevo

Hello All!,
Here is a link to my .21TM install thread. Don't let anyone talk you out of it. I did it a year ago and never ever stripped a gear. I even ran the engineAB modifiedfor a while. The thread is very detailed from install to gearing, speed runs, and everything else you can imagine with nearly 20k views and 600+posts and counting.

The .21TM is way qyicker than the 3.3 in the Jato. The torque moves the weight quicker and can be geared a lot taller using revo gearing to ease the tq. and strain on the drivetrainand give good top end without sacrificing low end. Top end was very similar with the 3.3. reving a little higher. Only a few guys even get the Jato to 60+mph perfectly tuned and running well anyway, and the .21TM will do that all day long... back to back with less than perfect tune.The .21TM was quickerin 132ft., 200ft., 250ft, probably up to 300ft. or so. If the 3.3.has acouple mph left after 350-400 ft, I didn't care, most of us don't have that kind of room anyway.

The video of the engine just after break in tank #7 is post #111. Enjoy. http://monster.traxxas.com/showthrea...=.21tm+install

Old 06-07-2009, 09:04 PM
quietnas1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[quote]ORIGINAL: nitrorevo

Hello All!,
Here is a link to my .21TM install thread. Don't let anyone talk you out of it. I did it a year ago and never ever stripped a gear. I even ran the engine AB modified for a while. The thread is very detailed from install to gearing, speed runs, and everything else you can imagine with nearly 20k views and 600+posts and counting.

The .21TM is way qyicker than the 3.3 in the Jato. The torque moves the weight quicker and can be geared a lot taller using revo gearing to ease the tq. and strain on the drivetrain and give good top end without sacrificing low end. Top end was very similar with the 3.3. reving a little higher. Only a few guys even get the Jato to 60+mph perfectly tuned and running well anyway, and the .21TM will do that all day long... back to back with less than perfect tune. The .21TM was quicker in 132ft., 200ft., 250ft, probably up to 300ft. or so. If the 3.3. has a couple mph left after 350-400 ft, I didn't care, most of us don't have that kind of room anyway.

The video of the engine just after break in tank #7 is post #111. Enjoy. <a href=

Look I know I have killed 2 trannys. B4 I had any tranny issues I was running a taller spur gear but it was steel and ate my clutchbell. I'm actualy getting a hardened clutch bell with taller gearing and a go back to my taller steel spur and I should have no issues. I love this motor. It is beyond sick. I will try and post a link of my thread with my build and I actually looked at nitrorevos thread and it helped a lot.
Old 06-07-2009, 09:05 PM
quietnas1

[quote]ORIGINAL: nitrorevo

Hello All!,
Here is a link to my .21TM install thread. Don't let anyone talk you out of it. I did it a year ago and never ever stripped a gear. I even ran the engine AB modified for a while. The thread is very detailed from install to gearing, speed runs, and everything else you can imagine with nearly 20k views and 600+posts and counting.

The .21TM is way qyicker than the 3.3 in the Jato. The torque moves the weight quicker and can be geared a lot taller using revo gearing to ease the tq. and strain on the drivetrain and give good top end without sacrificing low end. Top end was very similar with the 3.3. reving a little higher. Only a few guys even get the Jato to 60+mph perfectly tuned and running well anyway, and the .21TM will do that all day long... back to back with less than perfect tune. The .21TM was quicker in 132ft., 200ft., 250ft, probably up to 300ft. or so. If the 3.3. has a couple mph left after 350-400 ft, I didn't care, most of us don't have that kind of room anyway.

The video of the engine just after break in tank #7 is post #111. Enjoy. <a href=

Look I know I have killed 2 trannys. B4 I had any tranny issues I was running a taller spur gear but it was steel and ate my clutchbell. I'm actualy getting a hardened clutch bell with taller gearing and a go back to my taller steel spur and I should have no issues. I love this motor. It is beyond sick. I will try and post a link of my thread with my build and I actually looked at nitrorevos thread and it helped a lot.
Old 06-07-2009, 09:17 PM
quietnas1

Here is the link to the build I did.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_83...tm.htm#8385526
Old 06-07-2009, 09:52 PM
jbrobertsonjr

nesal get you some proline BADLANDS 30 series off road  and the 30 series rims and you should be fine i ran mine today with the badlands had a blast they hook like no tommorrow.
Old 06-07-2009, 10:37 PM
MonsterKawi314

Thank you for the info. I will be sure to check it all out, and add it to my brainstorm of ideas as to what I'm gonna go with. Thanks again.
Old 06-08-2009, 01:53 AM
asupervee72

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

where can i find an alluminum steering horn and or sterring linkage for the jato, ive stripped two stock steering horns and one from a revo, even when the steering is working it is very sloppy. is there any way to adjust the throw on the stock traxxas servo? i think there is too much throw and that may be why it keeps stripping
Old 06-08-2009, 08:29 AM
HandicappMan111

hey wats up guys, i just recently got a pretty beat up jato from a guy on here for a trade. iv done a lot of work to it as far as getting it to running order. Well yesterday i was running and I got about 20+ yards away and the throttle and steering just went out on it. As i got closer it would go again. Well I went and looked over the car and the antenna had a nice little rip in it. So i went out got some new wire, 22 Gauge Soild Hoop Up wire Type AWM In wall No Rated at 300v. and still get the same results.

Sorry for all the weird info but maybe someone knows what all that means haha. I just got back into the hobby after being out for 2 years, army. If someone could help me that would be awesome! I dont wanna have to replace everything money is tight. BTW its the stock rx and tx. Thanks for all the help in advance.
Old 06-08-2009, 11:37 AM
devo208

Handicappman- Welcome home i'm a disable veteran myself go ARMY- it could be the rx or it could be your batteries you have to swop them out to find out.
Old 06-08-2009, 12:23 PM
rcphanatik

ORIGINAL: Nesal

Maybe your servos are twitchy??
jeez this forum grows fast, my messages are way spread out.
that definitly would make sense tho. i've had a few troubles with that before.
Old 06-08-2009, 12:28 PM
rcphanatik

ORIGINAL: ajk2649

Yes it could deffinetly be the new head you put on. even tho it says made for the jato....Being that it is not the actual company that makes the head for the jato they could have the measurments off by a tiny bit and that will effect your engine in a big way. Also it may not be the head. when you changed your head 2 the RB head did you take the shims from the old head and put them on the new one? If not that will cause a problem and if you did use the shims then maybe they are also damaged from the high heat caused from the engine over heating and you could have an airlleak from the head. The shims adjust combustion......2 many shims and you have pre-detonation............Not enough shims and you have detonation. Both are not good. for starters if you have not already go back 2 factory setting on the carb and start from there.
OK, here comes a noob question: what do u mean by shims? do u mean the little orange spacer that goes around the base of the head and seals the cylinder? i transfered it to the new head as well.
also, factory setting is 1/8 inch on the idle, flush with the housing of the Lsn, and 4 turns out with the hsn?
Old 06-08-2009, 02:31 PM
HandicappMan111

Well i charged up the battery and no go, still same o problem. think i might just order a cheap FM radio off THS and use the bill me later option. Wont have any extra spending money till next week.
Old 06-08-2009, 05:40 PM
jbrobertsonjr

if the head warped the shim is probably bad to
Old 06-08-2009, 09:06 PM
asupervee72

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

who has there jato running to where the like it? i cant get mine to go straight, after 2 plastic steering servo horns i got an alluminum one for the revo but it fits on the jato, does any one run in the dirt? i have some knobby tires on there but the rear end still breaks loose everytime i hit the throttle , even if i roll on the throtttle it will still spin the back end out and throw me off course, is the jato meant to run on the road only? So far i have nothing really that good to say about the jato, every time i fix one problem there is another one. i have yet to run through a full tank of fuel without something breaking, is the mayham better then the jato?
Old 06-08-2009, 09:17 PM
jbrobertsonjr

proline badlands tires and 30 series rim also from proline you should have no problem when i run them the front end stay in the air , the only thing about the jato i did not like was the brakes but they work fine now
Old 06-08-2009, 09:52 PM
quietnas1

ORIGINAL: HandicappMan111

Well i charged up the battery and no go, still same o problem. think i might just order a cheap FM radio off THS and use the bill me later option. Wont have any extra spending money till next week.
Not a vet but you got my full support. Sure do appreciate the work you guys do. I was having some issues with my receiver as well when about a good 6 inches of wire ripped off bcuz my Jato landed on its lid and slid about a good 20 yards or so. I ended up using an old receiver and remote that I had lying around. If you get a new Traxxas receiver you should be good. They are not expensive at all either.
Old 06-08-2009, 09:54 PM
quietnas1

ORIGINAL: jbrobertsonjr

proline badlands tires and 30 series rim also from proline you should have no problem when i run them the front end stay in the air , the only thing about the jato i did not like was the brakes but they work fine now
Agree 100%. I also use the 30 series Badlands and they work great. I run them in grass, dirt, and clay and they do a good job.
Old 06-08-2009, 10:20 PM
slednut87

I love mine, i put the badlands and 30 series on for tires, stock servos and horns, modified front top links, rpm arms, way biger fuel tank, And i have put half a gallon through with no breakage. And im not very nice to it, i go where ever my friends revo goes. My front end is still in the air alot but i find that if i run with my wheelie bar on it really helps. even though it looks funny. It took some time to get it where i like it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.