Notices
RC Nitro Stadium Trucks Discuss all aspects of rc nitro stadium trucks here

2 speed Rustler Project

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 07:39 PM
DrDaywalker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 speed Rustler Project

So I just got into the nitro seen and I rebuilt a broken rustler I got from a friend. After about a week of having it all together and running I realized that it would be really nice to have a 2nd gear. Now I know they make plenty of trucks with 2 speeds and 3 speeds and I could just go buy one. But where is the fun in that? lol So I got a trashed Jato and plan on using the tranny, cvds, shock tower, shocks, and the entire rear of the truck. I work at a sheet metal fabrication company that is family owned. I have the aluminum already and plan on making a custom frame for it with the front being all rustler and just the tranny back being Jato....so im not really sure if it will actually still be a rusty anymore, but thats what im gonna call it...lol Any comments or ideas for it please let me know....im all ears. And please refrain from comments like, that is a stupid idea, or you are not capeable of doing this...... i read a post on here from a couple years ago where some kid was going to do the same thing and im guessing either it didnt work or he got mad enough to leave the site from all the negativity....lol
Old 05-14-2008, 01:03 PM
warheadforever

Default RE: 2 speed Rustler Project

ORIGINAL: daywalker121800

So I just got into the nitro seen and I rebuilt a broken rustler I got from a friend. After about a week of having it all together and running I realized that it would be really nice to have a 2nd gear. Now I know they make plenty of trucks with 2 speeds and 3 speeds and I could just go buy one. But where is the fun in that? lol So I got a trashed Jato and plan on using the tranny, cvds, shock tower, shocks, and the entire rear of the truck. I work at a sheet metal fabrication company that is family owned. I have the aluminum already and plan on making a custom frame for it with the front being all rustler and just the tranny back being Jato....so im not really sure if it will actually still be a rusty anymore, but thats what im gonna call it...lol Any comments or ideas for it please let me know....im all ears. And please refrain from comments like, that is a stupid idea, or you are not capeable of doing this...... i read a post on here from a couple years ago where some kid was going to do the same thing and im guessing either it didnt work or he got mad enough to leave the site from all the negativity....lol

Sound like a good idea, with solid foundation! Also you can call it anything you want! Sounds like I am going to have to bookmark this thread! LOL

I can't wait to see the end result daywalker121800!
Old 05-14-2008, 01:07 PM
robbio4422

waiting for updates on this build!
Old 05-14-2008, 03:34 PM
DrDaywalker

Ok guys, heres the update. I kinda got off to a slow start because I had to teach myself how to program the NC machine and design the frame itself. Here is a run down of everything that I have already bought to do my project,

Jato rear end and frame

My current rusty in running condition

Now here is the start of my new frame,

I first began it with designing the frame on paper and deciding how long it was going to be and also changing the original design of the 2 trucks to merge as one. I also wanted to leave room for a possible extra battery in the center to power a remote start for it...(still in the design process for that also) Here is the drawing,

I know it doesnt look like much but thats how it began.

The next step was to create it in my program that will eventually be downloaded into the NC punch machine. Without taking pictures of my monitor this is what I ended up with after the design was made.

The next step was to program it in the machine and let it fly, this is the machine

Here is the 5052 aluminum

The finished product

And here it is next to the old Jato frame

It is overal about 2 and a half inches longer then the Stock Jato frame and the stock Rustler Frame. I do plan to use a Rustler Body but I believe as of right now the name I have chosen for it is the JESTER..... some people may think its a joke what im doing....lol So its very fitting I think.

You will notice I made 3 of them and did not punch the holes in it.....these are going to be mock up frames so I can mess up on them. I plan on making an updated design when I figure out where everything will be placed and running the punch machine again to make it perfect.

I did run into a problem though, the motor I was going to use for it was a 2.5r and it doesnt seem to have good seal in the block, air is coming out and I cant figure out why, so if anyone has any donations for motors or somthing cheap it would be much appreciated.

Any comments or questions feel free to ask.....the fun has really begun.

Old 05-14-2008, 06:19 PM
jmeyers

o snapp this gonna be a nice project[8D]
Old 05-14-2008, 06:24 PM
DrDaywalker

LOL, he said "Oh Snap" thats classic...thanks man, I appreciate the support. Makes me feel better about building it.
Old 05-14-2008, 06:58 PM
robbio4422

dude... looks great.. kinda funny cuz i was thinking "oh snap" when i saw the pics of the sheets of steel and paper..

keep it up and keep us posted!
Old 05-14-2008, 07:53 PM
DrDaywalker

Not steel, Aluminum baby....lol Thanks for the support
Old 05-14-2008, 09:25 PM
FastestJato

I gotjato pretty fast
My jato in 1st gear goes about the same speed as my frinds rusty full throtel
So image what will happen to ur rusty

Nice project I like the idea, KEAP IT GOIN MAN...
Old 05-15-2008, 05:38 PM
warheadforever

ORIGINAL BY Daywalker121800

Ok guys, heres the update. I kinda got off to a slow start because I had to teach myself how to program the NC machine and design the frame itself. Here is a run down of everything that I have already bought to do my project,

Jato rear end and frame

My current rusty in running condition

Now here is the start of my new frame,

I first began it with designing the frame on paper and deciding how long it was going to be and also changing the original design of the 2 trucks to merge as one. I also wanted to leave room for a possible extra battery in the center to power a remote start for it...(still in the design process for that also) Here is the drawing,

I know it doesnt look like much but thats how it began.

The next step was to create it in my program that will eventually be downloaded into the NC punch machine. Without taking pictures of my monitor this is what I ended up with after the design was made.

The next step was to program it in the machine and let it fly, this is the machine

Here is the 5052 aluminum

The finished product

And here it is next to the old Jato frame

It is overal about 2 and a half inches longer then the Stock Jato frame and the stock Rustler Frame. I do plan to use a Rustler Body but I believe as of right now the name I have chosen for it is the JESTER..... some people may think its a joke what im doing....lol So its very fitting I think.

You will notice I made 3 of them and did not punch the holes in it.....these are going to be mock up frames so I can mess up on them. I plan on making an updated design when I figure out where everything will be placed and running the punch machine again to make it perfect.

I did run into a problem though, the motor I was going to use for it was a 2.5r and it doesnt seem to have good seal in the block, air is coming out and I cant figure out why, so if anyone has any donations for motors or somthing cheap it would be much appreciated.

Any comments or questions feel free to ask.....the fun has really begun.

Man that is cool looking, Daywalker...... I like that frame, but what you should make it out of is Scandium. That stuff is light, strong (they make guns out of it) , and dosen't brake, (A.K.A it's not brittle).

Looks great, I can't wait for another up-date.

Thanks Warheadforever
Old 05-26-2008, 08:59 AM
warheadforever

Come on pleasssseeee update, please.......
Old 05-26-2008, 09:23 AM
nitrosport963

thats so cool! does the jato have a 3.3?
Old 05-26-2008, 09:38 AM
warheadforever

ORIGINAL: nitrosport963

thats so cool! does the jato have a 3.3?

Yes the Jato is available with the 3.3.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...LXNCA7**&P=ML\

Warheadforever
Old 05-26-2008, 10:53 AM
DrDaywalker

K guys, a quick update..... i went to mass last weekend and also up to maine.... i did get to drive my tmaxx on my uncles 7 acre property but didnt find the time to keep messing with the truck.When I got back, After some careful drilling and figureing out the basic placement for the parts, I redrew my plan and starting inputting it in the computer..... by tomorrow im hoping to have the program finished and can punch out the finished frame. All that will be left after that will be countersinking the holes, deburring them all, sanding it down and then clear coating it. I am working on the upper chassis using pictures of a jato upper chassis for servo placement and the rustler upper chassis. The only problem with using it as is was that the servo is about an inch to the right of the transmission and wont line up accuratly enough for me to connect the brakes and throttle. So that is the next part to figure out exactly....what sucks is that I have a carbon fiber upper chassis for the rustler and dont want to cut it up. I really need a jato upper chassis even if broken to figure out exactly where everything sat on the original and I dont know anyone that has one. Any Ideas or pictures of a Jato up close from top and bottom would be helpful. This weekend was my sisters wedding so thats why I havnt done much with it. Ill let you know if anything else comes about. Thanks
Old 05-26-2008, 01:30 PM
Mspeed

Alot of people say the 2speed is a waste, but I love mine. I find if you like alot of speed it helps with over gearing your Stadium truck. If your engine can push a large top gear then having that first gear gets it up to the top gear without lossing much if any lowend. It sounds like a fun project, seen one guy combine a 4tech with a jato. He basically took the rear half with tranny off a 4 tech and attached it to the back of a jato. His idea was to have a ST with a more efficent drivetrain. The 4tech uses belt drive with a 2 speed right off the spur in the rear so its known to be more efficent than a 2 speed gearbox drivetrain.
Old 05-26-2008, 02:32 PM
DrDaywalker

that sounds cool....if nothing else I m doing this project to have something to do..... i like working on the cars almost as much as driving them, even though i work on them more....lol Who knows what the finished product will turn out to be, but im not ruining any of my parts to do it so i could always put the rustler back together and just build a jato with all my parts..... so nothing lost if it doesnt work out. Im going to complete it though and see what happens.
Old 05-29-2008, 09:54 PM
DrDaywalker

Alright guys, Im finally finished.

Everything went well and I repunched the frame including all the holes. Then I used one of the frames as a rough model to make sure everything fit correctly. I then took the other frame and countersunk the holes and grinded and sanded it until it was nice. Here are all the pictures.

I tried it on cardboard first to make sure all the tools were in correctly and so I didnt waste the aluminum if I made a mistake.

This picture is blurry but shows how far the screws stuck out before I countersunk them. The next picture is the finished frame countersunk, sanded and grinded.

There you have it. All finished and ready to roll. I still have some other stuff that has to be done, like mounting the exhaust so it doesnt pop off at all. fixing the rear wheels....as you can see by the pictures they are tilted toward the frame and Im not quite sure why. Still working on that one. I added the battery box and changed the steering pieces to bearings and it turns much much smoother now. Besides that I will probably take the other frame and sand it down nice and clear coat it and then switch it out. Any questions feel free.

By the way, its fast as hell. lol

P.S- Sorry that the pictures are sideways. I took them on my phone and my computer got a virus recently so it runs really slow. So to resize them and rotate them would have taken hours.
Old 05-29-2008, 10:00 PM
MMT GUNS

Wow!! that's a nice project you got there, good work.
Old 05-29-2008, 10:03 PM
DrDaywalker

Thanks, its been consuming most of my time the last couple weeks. I dont know what Im going to do with myself next...lol
Old 05-29-2008, 10:49 PM
FastestJato

dont worrie about the rear wheels thats how hey are in the jato

Have you tested it???

How much money did u spend ??
Old 05-30-2008, 06:34 AM
scottywilkes

its called toe in, most STs have a fair bit of it as there RWD, it helps with accelerating in a straight line and running straight while at speed.
Old 05-30-2008, 07:02 AM
DrDaywalker

the toe in isn't what I was mentioning....the wheels are crooked if u look at them from the front or rear or even the top. if u look at the 3rd and 4th pictures from the bottom u can see what im talking about....not just the toe in but the wheels r not on straight.
Old 05-30-2008, 09:11 AM
[email protected]

his wheels are like this if you look at it level from the back \V/=-=\V/
Old 05-30-2008, 10:13 AM
DrDaywalker

exactly
Old 05-30-2008, 04:31 PM
DrDaywalker

I cant say exactly how much it cost me to do the project. I know it took a lot of planning but i bought the pieces as I went. The motor and transmission and all the rear end was a rediculous deal at 30 bucks and 10 bucks for shipping. I bought a couple glow plugs to use to get the motor running and i went through a couple for that. I bought a new ez start for it which was only about 20 bucks shipped and yesturday I bought bearings for the steering, a new battery box and on off switch ...that was all about 45 it think. so it looks like all together it was around 110 or so..... but agian, I could have missed some stuff. And I had fun doing it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.