Notices
RC Nitro Stadium Trucks Discuss all aspects of rc nitro stadium trucks here

Jato Brakes

Old 05-20-2008, 09:17 PM
FastestJato

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jato Brakes

ok so finnaly good weathere after all tranny stuff, now i got a new problem and its secon time already, my brakes get melted to the tranny case. WHAT SHOULD I DO ???

Old 05-20-2008, 09:25 PM
Mspeed

Default RE: Jato Brakes

hmm.... something is totally not right. Are they on all the time? Your disc should spin free when not on the brakes. Or they are getting stuck on when you release them, I have seen that before. It is easy to fix that problem, just take the disc off, remove the silver block in the case that pushes the disc out and clean it really good inside the square hole were the block goes and clean the block. Now put it all back together and tighten the two allen bolts till the silver brake pads are almost engaging the brakes. Now adjust the nob at the end of the linkage till you get the braking you desire.
Old 05-20-2008, 09:26 PM
Mspeed

You will probably have to do the fuel tube instead of the spring to get your brakes to be strong enough. I cut a pen up and put the fuel tube inside the pen and replace the spring with that and it works like a charm.
Old 05-20-2008, 09:49 PM
FastestJato

Yeah about the pen thing i already have that

The thing is that i take a normal computer paper cut it in inch by inche squres two of them then put the aginst the disk and the pads then screw the screws on till it touches the paper, Then my brakes dont work if i tighten a little too much it melts I

P.S. off topic

out side temp is 65 F
Engine temp is 180 F
is that right??
Old 05-20-2008, 09:52 PM
Mspeed

You shouldnt tighten the allen pins down on the disc so far that they bind up the disc with no brakes applied
Old 05-20-2008, 09:54 PM
Mspeed

Sounds like your tighting your pins so your brakes drag, and that is heating up everything and causing your nuclear meltdown.
Old 05-20-2008, 09:56 PM
JatoGuy

[quote]ORIGINAL: FastestJato

Yeah about the pen thing i already have that

The thing is that i take a normal computer paper cut it in inch by inche squres two of them then put the aginst the disk and the pads then screw the screws on till it touches the paper, Then my brakes dont work if i tighten a little too much it melts I

P.S. off topic

out side temp is 65 F
Engine temp is 180 F

Sorry if I misread this, I'm pretty tired... Pads worn? Have something slimp on them? Look at the break mechanism. Figure out why they aren't "squeezing" enough. Maybe your servo is worn and can't generate the torque when they are properly adjusted. When you over adjust them they are dragging and all that fun friction stuff equals melt down. When in doubt dissassemble and reassemble. As for the temps they seem kind of low. Tune for performance not temp though. Altitude and all that good stuff plays a big role.
Old 05-20-2008, 10:01 PM
FastestJato

what do i need to do to get my temp higher ??? lean or rich ?? which way to turn left right the high speed needle??/
srry for all of theese dumb Q's im kinda just starting with it ??

OK BACK TO TOPIC
the disc does speed freelie , the last time i before the brakes were working their temp was about 420 F HOT
Old 05-20-2008, 10:12 PM
Mspeed

ORIGINAL: Mspeed

hmm.... something is totally not right. Are they on all the time? Your disc should spin free when not on the brakes. Or they are getting stuck on when you release them, I have seen that before. It is easy to fix that problem, just take the disc off, remove the silver block in the case that pushes the disc out and clean it really good inside the square hole were the block goes and clean the block. Now put it all back together and tighten the two allen bolts till the silver brake pads are almost engaging the brakes. Now adjust the nob at the end of the linkage till you get the braking you desire.
Old 05-20-2008, 10:16 PM
FastestJato

no they dont get stuck...
Old 05-20-2008, 10:24 PM
Mspeed

I dont think that has ever been a issue with the jato in general unless something is set wrong. I would have to see your jato for myself to figure out what is wrong with it. Pictures if you can and take some angles if you can. I have 2 jato's and never had a issue, nor have I heard of people having trouble with it when they use them alot at high speed.
Old 05-20-2008, 10:27 PM
Mspeed

Something is causing too much heat, oil on the pads, grease, disc is aftermark junk? so many things but just need to see it. That paper thing sounds like your tighting them way too much. I leave at least proably 5 or more paper thinknesses width in between the pads and the bolts with no brakes on. You should be able to wiggle the disc around a bit with no brakes on.
Old 05-20-2008, 10:34 PM
FastestJato

a thing is that if i take picture you wont be able to see anything becaus ethe cube thing that presses against the pads is meltedt to the plastic so it cant be moved, the only choise i got is but new tranny box and the brake kit change it and ride untill it happens again, but i would like to figure out whats wrong with it because taking jatos tranny out is pain in the butt..
Old 05-20-2008, 10:40 PM
Mspeed

HEh, I have done the tranny thing alot. How long does it take you to pull the tranny out? I am definitley under 35 mins to get it out totally. How long does it take for your disc to melt? tanks of fuel for it to happen roughly?
Old 05-20-2008, 10:41 PM
FastestJato

ok iam thinging to cahange the pads

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXHGD9&P=ML
Old 05-20-2008, 10:43 PM
FastestJato

for me it take about 2 hours and then to put it back about hour and a half thats y i dont wanna do it

For the disc to melt it take about 5 mins
Old 05-21-2008, 12:16 AM
Mspeed

ORIGINAL: FastestJato

ok iam thinging to cahange the pads

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXHGD9&P=ML
I wouldnt recommend those revo pads on the Jato set up
Old 05-21-2008, 12:18 AM
Mspeed

If you are melting the disc in 5 mins then you have a serious problem. That fast you should be able to find the problem pretty quickly.
Old 05-21-2008, 03:35 PM
FastestJato

y not??
and seriously i have no clue whats wrong
Old 05-21-2008, 06:58 PM
j8to33

you just need to put alittle piece of fuel line and a piece of antena tube that is alittle shorter than the fuel line and put the antena tube in the fuel line. Here is a pic
Old 05-21-2008, 07:50 PM
JatoGuy

ORIGINAL: Mspeed

If you are melting the disc in 5 mins then you have a serious problem. That fast you should be able to find the problem pretty quickly.

Agreed with mspeed ... The fuel line is to improve braking... Yours are rubbing - Ever ride a bicycle and the brakes are rubbing? Or leave a parking brake on in an automible and drive with it, or been with someone who has.... If the wheels spin freely without the brakes applied there is no way they can melt. Apply the brakes numerous times and spin the wheels to make sure they release. As for tuning read the manual or print it from the traxxas website. Tune to performance not temp.
Old 05-21-2008, 09:26 PM
FastestJato

thanks for the pic

Ok so i discovered something wierd
When i puch brakes the block moves just a little and when it has to go back it barely does, but when i press the throttle the block dosnt move any where but it goes back in even further which reduses the drag, another thing is that when i let go of the throttle it gets back to the positio.
is this normal ??
Tell me if i need to make som video or something

Old 05-22-2008, 01:18 AM
drummer4

YO THE BRAKES SHOULD STAY FAR AWAY FROM THE DISK UNTIL U APPLY THE BRAKES. aDJUST THE SETTNG ON THE LINKAGE SO THAT AT O TRIM THE BRAKES ARENT APPLIED AT ALL. tHEN PRESS THE BRAKES AND LOOK HOW MUCH THEY CLOSE. IF THEY DONT TOUCH THE DISK YET APPLY TILL THEY TOUCH. GO FORMT HERE TILL U GET THE BRAKING U DESIRE. AGIAN AT O TRIMT HE BRAKES SHOULDNT BE APPLIED AT ALL THE TRUCK WILL ROLL FREE. MY SUGGESTION IS TO SET URE BRAKE SO THAT THE TRCUK ROLLS GOOD. THEN ADJUST FROM THERE CHECKING EACH LITTLE ADJUSTMENT THAT THE TRUCK IS STILL ROLLIGN FREE. WHEN U FIND THE SPOT WHERE IT ROLLS FREE, AND WHEN U PRESS THEBRAKE IT STOPS THEN U SHOUDL BE FINE, OTHERWISE IT SEEMS AS THOUGH U NEED SOME NEW PARTS. MAYBE IT WAS ADJUSTED WRONG AT FIRST AND WHEN U DROVE IT LIEK THAT THE MELTING PROABBLY MELETD THE DISKS ENOGUTH THAT U NEED NEW ONES. LET ME KNWO WHAT HAPPENS WITH URE TRCUK. IM NOT COMPELETLY FAMILIAR WITHT HE JATO, BUT I HAVE A RUSTLER WITH A DISK BRAKE SET UP.

GOOD LUCK
DAN
Old 05-22-2008, 01:19 AM
Mspeed

I need to see it. We are not on the same page. I have a idea what is wrong with your jato but your telling me its not it. I think your brakes are hanging up after you release them or they are on the whole time even when your off the brakes. I have seen it many times and its pretty easy to fix. You just take the block out of the tranny and clean the inside well and block too. Use a small flat head screw driver to really clean out the square hole were the block goes into the side cover of the tranny. Put it all back together and tighten the two brake hex screws down till they are very close to touching the metal brake calipers. If you tighten them gently just about touching the caliper pads, then back off a tiny bit it will keep the brakes from hangin up when you release them. What this does is prevent the block from pushing out too far to engage the brakes and getting stuck. Cleaning the block and square hole helps it slide without getting stuck. Also, by keeping the hex bolts close to tight, it gives the brake arm enough travel to engage full brakes without bottoming out against the tranny case. Now you just need to fine tune the brakes with the cam on the end of the brake linkage. If your still having problems you might need a new disc. Just get the integy one its a bit better than stock. Stock one is fine if you set it up right with the fuel/pen mod. My brakes can lock the tires easy and do not stick at all and never fade due to alot of high speed use. I have the orginial tranny case on my jato since I got it like 2 years ago.
Old 05-22-2008, 01:25 AM
Mspeed

ORIGINAL: drummer4

YO THE BRAKES SHOULD STAY FAR AWAY FROM THE DISK UNTIL U APPLY THE BRAKES. aDJUST THE SETTNG ON THE LINKAGE SO THAT AT O TRIM THE BRAKES ARENT APPLIED AT ALL. tHEN PRESS THE BRAKES AND LOOK HOW MUCH THEY CLOSE. IF THEY DONT TOUCH THE DISK YET APPLY TILL THEY TOUCH. GO FORMT HERE TILL U GET THE BRAKING U DESIRE. AGIAN AT O TRIMT HE BRAKES SHOULDNT BE APPLIED AT ALL THE TRUCK WILL ROLL FREE. MY SUGGESTION IS TO SET URE BRAKE SO THAT THE TRCUK ROLLS GOOD. THEN ADJUST FROM THERE CHECKING EACH LITTLE ADJUSTMENT THAT THE TRUCK IS STILL ROLLIGN FREE. WHEN U FIND THE SPOT WHERE IT ROLLS FREE, AND WHEN U PRESS THEBRAKE IT STOPS THEN U SHOUDL BE FINE, OTHERWISE IT SEEMS AS THOUGH U NEED SOME NEW PARTS. MAYBE IT WAS ADJUSTED WRONG AT FIRST AND WHEN U DROVE IT LIEK THAT THE MELTING PROABBLY MELETD THE DISKS ENOGUTH THAT U NEED NEW ONES. LET ME KNWO WHAT HAPPENS WITH URE TRCUK. IM NOT COMPELETLY FAMILIAR WITHT HE JATO, BUT I HAVE A RUSTLER WITH A DISK BRAKE SET UP.

GOOD LUCK
DAN
On the Jato you need the caliper hex bolts to be close to tight or the arm will bottom out on the tranny case and you will not get full brakes. Also the block will pull out too far to engage the brakes and sometimes get stuck with the brakes on after you release them. The instructions for the Jato say to gently tighten the hex bolts evenly till they touch the caliper pads then back off like a full turn. That is pretty much it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.