Notices
RC Nitro Stadium Trucks Discuss all aspects of rc nitro stadium trucks here

Brandnew Firestorm won't start.

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2008, 05:44 PM
Stephan81

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brandnew Firestorm won't start.

Well I just bought a brandnew Firestorm 10t from my local hobby store yesterday and it's my 1st RC car.

Well I take it out this morning, run it through 1 tank of gas on a block idling to do the break in procedure. Ran fine. I then filled the tank up and started it and did a few laps half throttle to break it in, everytime I put the brakes on it would stall, so I started it back up and did this about 5 times and my car would stall everytime i hit the brakes.

And then it wouldnt start anymore I tried screwing a bit with the throttle trim, as well as the idle screw and the high speed needle thinking it was running to rich or lean. either way I still cant get her started back up?? I then took the glow plug off and pulled the starter a few times to get any gas out. Put it back on and still doesn't want to start.

Any suggestions i am new to these and don't know what to do the hobby store said to turn the high speed needle 1/4 turn and go from there but that didn't do nothing and I did the other stuff I mentioned above to no success. I got the glow plug ignitor and charged it for a good 14hrs. How many starts or how much time should you get out of these?? I thought possibly it's dead and needs to be recharged? So I am charging it again but I highly doubt it is that.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

p.s I am pretty bumbed out, car looks awesome from videos I have seen I have owned it less than 24hrs and I cant even get the thing started brandnew out of the box. ran 1 tank in idle and got about 10minutes of driving 1/4 to 1/2 throttle with stalling when braking now the thing doesn't even want to start for me
Old 08-10-2008, 06:21 PM
robbio4422

Default RE: Brandnew Firestorm won't start.

how long did you wait after that first tank befor you filled it back up and started it... and 1/2 throttle on the seconds tank is a bit much! i would have done 1/4 throttle at 2 second bursts
Old 08-10-2008, 06:23 PM
Shift2007

I agree, I got mine yesterday too, and after the break in procedures, exactly as you did, it seems very difficult to start. It take a hundred pulls to get it to start. As soon as I finally got mine started again after break in, I started easing around the back yard, still not being hard on it, and all the sudden my RPM's skyrocket and the truck comes to a stop. My spur gear is now stripped. I looked at the alignment of the motor and it was just barely touching the tips of the gears together. I was surprised they would send it from the factory like that. Anywho I managed to salvage the gear since only the VERY tips of the teeth were worn off, it was quite far out. Once I got it going again it was a very fun truck to drive. A lot smoother and quieter than my Hyper 7, and it is very light and bouncy, doesnt like to stay planted on the ground haha, I suppose it is because it weighs like half as much as my H7. Anyways, I am mad about the motor alignment and hard starting issues, but overall I love this truck. I think a roto-start is in the near future.
Old 08-10-2008, 06:58 PM
Stephan81

It was about 30minutes later that I got the 2nd tank of fuel in there. Just went out there and pulled on it and started up but then I accidently stalled at when I tried adjusting the idle speed as it was idling high and the wheels were spinning. Now it wont start again. Looked at the gears/sprocket and everything looks fine.
Old 08-10-2008, 07:16 PM
Jozachar

i think this thread proves not to get a firestorm
Old 08-10-2008, 07:26 PM
mankal
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: Jozachar

Uhh, whatever.
Old 08-10-2008, 08:33 PM
robbio4422

firestorm is an awsome truck...

factory setting are not ment to be adjusted untill after break in... who ever reads this can tell you what they are cuz i dont but i would suggest going back to factory setting and trying again...
Old 08-11-2008, 09:42 AM
NitroNate

ORIGINAL: Jozachar

No.This thread shows the very same problems that are common to any RC newbie.

First of all,how long is your fuel tube running from the tank to the engine?My fuel tube is six inches long.I usualy prime it with 8-12 pulls-Basicly,2 pulls for every inch of the fuel tube.
To help in starting it up,put the truck on somthing so that the wheels can spin freely-This will give the engine less stress as it is trying to run.Also,keep turning the throttle trim clockwise until it starts,but if it still shuts off when you brake,turn your idle screw clockwise in full turn increments,then 1/2 turn increments when you've got it close to perfect.
Also,make sure all the engine/exhaust screws are tight.A loose exhaust manifold can definatly cause problems with starting.
If the engine starts with the wheels off the ground,but doesn't start with the wheels on the ground,you might want to check the clutch-The spring may have broken.
Old 08-11-2008, 11:43 AM
Shift2007

I am not bashing the truck, I LOVE it, but it seems to have it's issues. And I wouldnt exactly say I am an RC newbie either, I am new to 1/10th scale ST's with pullstarts if you want to put it like that. But not to RCing in general.
Old 08-12-2008, 01:32 AM
Pearl_414
Banned

ORIGINAL: Stephan81

Well I just bought a brandnew Firestorm 10t from my local hobby store yesterday and it's my 1st RC car.

Well I take it out this morning, run it through 1 tank of gas on a block idling to do the break in procedure. Ran fine. I then filled the tank up and started it and did a few laps half throttle to break it in, everytime I put the brakes on it would stall, so I started it back up and did this about 5 times and my car would stall everytime i hit the brakes.

And then it wouldnt start anymore I tried screwing a bit with the throttle trim, as well as the idle screw and the high speed needle thinking it was running to rich or lean. either way I still cant get her started back up?? I then took the glow plug off and pulled the starter a few times to get any gas out. Put it back on and still doesn't want to start.

Any suggestions i am new to these and don't know what to do the hobby store said to turn the high speed needle 1/4 turn and go from there but that didn't do nothing and I did the other stuff I mentioned above to no success. I got the glow plug ignitor and charged it for a good 14hrs. How many starts or how much time should you get out of these?? I thought possibly it's dead and needs to be recharged? So I am charging it again but I highly doubt it is that.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

p.s I am pretty bumbed out, car looks awesome from videos I have seen I have owned it less than 24hrs and I cant even get the thing started brandnew out of the box. ran 1 tank in idle and got about 10minutes of driving 1/4 to 1/2 throttle with stalling when braking now the thing doesn't even want to start for me
Always check to see if your glowplug is glowing, before you make any adjustments to anything. Look for a bright glow, not a dim glow. If your glow starter is a C cell, they can loose voltage quickly, especially if you tried to start your truck many times. I use D cell, for start up's. Also, if you overprime your engine, it can lead to a real headache. Always have a visual on the fuel going to the carberator, it doesn't take much fuel, very little. Don't take anything for granted, make sure the head of the engine is tight, not loose, that goes for the glowplug also. You may wanna consider a starterbox, pull starting a nitro engine, can be like fighting a war without a gun.

BTW, if the engine poop's everytime you hit the brake, you may need to adjust the brake/throttle linkage.

Good Luck bro!!!
Old 08-12-2008, 07:23 AM
241 racing
My Feedback: (20)

ORIGINAL: Shift2007

I am not bashing the truck, I LOVE it, but it seems to have it's issues. And I wouldnt exactly say I am an RC newbie either, I am new to 1/10th scale ST's with pullstarts if you want to put it like that. But not to RCing in general.
They all have there issues some just more than others.Best bet is to fix it, sell it and buy a better truck just my opinion of course
Old 08-12-2008, 11:52 AM
Stephan81

Well thanks for the info guys it helped me out. I checked the engine block and it wasnt tight. It was leaking and also seemed to have lost compression. I tightened it up, got a new glow plug as mine was cold, I went with a mc-59. Screwed with the throttle/brake linkage and now it starts a lot better, starts every 5-6 pulls or so, got it idling and everything is set up nicely. Took it for a few rips and it runs awesome and doesn't stall when braking.

My buddy was with me on the street playing with it. I was pulling 180's and then flooring it wheelying away. He wanted to try so i let him give it a try, he was coming close to a curb paniced and floored it instead of braking hahaha. tore the front end off LOL. Good thing he makes decent money and is either going to get it fixed at our local shop and get the parts if not he's going to buy me a new one. I learned something there, don't let your buddys try or if they do i'll make sure its a wide open field but after this experience noone will be using my truck but me Can't wait to get it back once it's fixed or get the new one. Man was he ever upset quite an expensive 10 seconds of fun for him haha.
Old 08-12-2008, 12:50 PM
Shift2007

Well thanks for the info guys it helped me out. I checked the engine block and it wasnt tight. It was leaking and also seemed to have lost compression. I tightened it up, got a new glow plug as mine was cold, I went with a mc-59. Screwed with the throttle/brake linkage and now it starts a lot better, starts every 5-6 pulls or so, got it idling and everything is set up nicely. Took it for a few rips and it runs awesome and doesn't stall when braking.

My buddy was with me on the street playing with it. I was pulling 180's and then flooring it wheelying away. He wanted to try so i let him give it a try, he was coming close to a curb paniced and floored it instead of braking hahaha. tore the front end off LOL. Good thing he makes decent money and is either going to get it fixed at our local shop and get the parts if not he's going to buy me a new one. I learned something there, don't let your buddys try or if they do i'll make sure its a wide open field but after this experience noone will be using my truck but me Can't wait to get it back once it's fixed or get the new one. Man was he ever upset quite an expensive 10 seconds of fun for him haha.

My one friend is the same way, he always breaks my cars. Sad thing is he has been doing all types of RCing for years now and he still bashes things like crazy.
Old 08-12-2008, 02:46 PM
robbio4422

did you finish breaking it in? ouch... make him buy it from you and start over with a freash car if thats th case...
Old 08-12-2008, 03:29 PM
Stephan81

Nah I broke it in. 1 tank idling, 3 tanks putting around. Then got the idle/stalling/starting issues resolved and got through about 1 1/2 tanks of ripping around then he tried it and hit the curb. Just got back from the shop it only costs about $40 to fix so it's not to bad at all. 10$ for the piece that broke (plastic) and the plate on top was a little bent but got that straightened out.

Still I made him buy me a new upper metal plate (24$) even though the one that was bent was salvaged and bent back straight, and I'm going to put the new one on later.

I just found a track here as well I can't wait to take it out there.
Old 08-12-2008, 04:40 PM
Pearl_414
Banned

Sounds good dude, 1 time 2 of my friends bought the, I think it was the Traxxas Rustler, or the Nitro Rustler, something like that, they had electric starts on them rides. 1 of the trucks started right up and ran perfect. The other truck had fuel shooting out from somewhere and wouldn't start. They fought and fought with that truck, after closer inspection, the head of the engine was loose. After they tightened the head, it ran great...
Old 08-12-2008, 07:08 PM
NitroNate

If you want some good,but costly upgrades,go to www.neweramodels.com .
I got the bulkhead reinforcement plate and a-arms from them.But before you get the alloy a-arms,get the alloy a-arm mount from HPI.

PS:I normaly don't let other friends drive my truck.Maybe blip the throttle,but never full control.After telling them the price of it,they usualy don't bother trying anyway.My bro's savage was almost driven into the creek when he let one of his friends drive it.
Old 08-12-2008, 08:08 PM
nitro rc

ORIGINAL: Shift2007

I agree, I got mine yesterday too, and after the break in procedures, exactly as you did, it seems very difficult to start. It take a hundred pulls to get it to start. As soon as I finally got mine started again after break in, I started easing around the back yard, still not being hard on it, and all the sudden my RPM's skyrocket and the truck comes to a stop. My spur gear is now stripped. I looked at the alignment of the motor and it was just barely touching the tips of the gears together. I was surprised they would send it from the factory like that. Anywho I managed to salvage the gear since only the VERY tips of the teeth were worn off, it was quite far out. Once I got it going again it was a very fun truck to drive. A lot smoother and quieter than my Hyper 7, and it is very light and bouncy, doesnt like to stay planted on the ground haha, I suppose it is because it weighs like half as much as my H7. Anyways, I am mad about the motor alignment and hard starting issues, but overall I love this truck. I think a roto-start is in the near future.
you just have to get the hang of pull starts. my brother recently got the firestorm and loves it. since i have the experience of my tmaxx, i have to get it started for him. I can get it started in 1 or 2 pulls after priming it. the only downside is that we haev had nothing but problems. he has ran it for 2 days total.
Old 08-12-2008, 09:07 PM
NitroNate

What kind of problems??
Old 08-13-2008, 08:18 AM
nitro rc

first i had to send it back to HPI because it had a cracked OWB before even breaking it in. Then after 2 days of driving, one of which was break in, the exhaust gasket was blown. Since it is under warranty, HPI is sending the gasket for free. Everything is taken care of!!
Old 08-13-2008, 02:01 PM
dkastil

why would you waste the time to send a car back for parts you can fix in under 30 mins just call them and have them send you the parts rc nitro cars break al the time if they are good or bad you have to know what parts are going to break and beef them up or have spares on hand
Old 08-13-2008, 05:00 PM
robbio4422

ORIGINAL: nitro rc

first i had to send it back to HPI because it had a cracked OWB before even breaking it in. Then after 2 days of driving, one of which was break in, the exhaust gasket was blown. Since it is under warranty, HPI is sending the gasket for free. Everything is taken care of!!
you really had them send you a part thats cost $3? lol depending on where you live it could have taken you a week to get the part, if not more. when a trip the the hobby shop (i know $60 bucks in gas these days) and 5 minutes you could have been driving
Old 08-13-2008, 05:15 PM
Stephan81

Well, I am having another little issue all of a sudden. It wasn't doing this before. When I am 3/4 throttle or a bit more it doesn't do it. But once in a while when I got it punched, full throttle it will bog a bit and stalled a few times. I have searched the forums and haven't found any answers. Any help would be appreciated.

Like I said it's only done it a few times and if I slowly ease into it it doesn't seem to do it. It seems to only happen ( the few times it did it ). When I hammer the throttle down quickly you can hear the rpm's go down a bit and then it stalled. Other than that everything is running fine and I got the car fixed now and everythings fine besides that.

I really appreciate the help and tips/advice you guys have given me.
Old 08-13-2008, 06:58 PM
robbio4422

Well, I am having another little issue all of a sudden. It wasn't doing this before. When I am 3/4 throttle or a bit more it doesn't do it. But once in a while when I got it punched, full throttle it will bog a bit and stalled a few times. I have searched the forums and haven't found any answers. Any help would be appreciated.

Like I said it's only done it a few times and if I slowly ease into it it doesn't seem to do it. It seems to only happen ( the few times it did it ). When I hammer the throttle down quickly you can hear the rpm's go down a bit and then it stalled. Other than that everything is running fine and I got the car fixed now and everythings fine besides that.

I really appreciate the help and tips/advice you guys have given me.
how hot is it running? might be overheating?
Old 08-13-2008, 07:12 PM
bigairlife

ORIGINAL: robbio4422

how long did you wait after that first tank befor you filled it back up and started it... and 1/2 throttle on the seconds tank is a bit much! i would have done 1/4 throttle at 2 second bursts
I always drive my cars from the start. When i break in a new motor, first tank 1/2 throttle max. 2nd tank, 3/4 throttle max with some full throttle bursts. 3+. Drive normaly and start to lean it out after the 5th tank...

As for your problem. Install a new glow plug. Then try starting it again. Glow plugs go out alot during break in. Then reset the needles back the factory specs and lean out the high speed an 1/8th turn. Then continue ur break in. I would have recommended an electric car for ur first, but whatever floats ur boat. Nitro is fun, but it can be a pain in the butt =P

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.