Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Nitro Stadium Trucks
Reload this Page >

OFFICIAL TRAXXAS SLAYER OWNERS THREAD

Community
Search
Notices
RC Nitro Stadium Trucks Discuss all aspects of rc nitro stadium trucks here

OFFICIAL TRAXXAS SLAYER OWNERS THREAD

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 09:34 AM
slayer76

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: OFFICIAL TRAXXAS SLAYER OWNERS THREAD

got the sway bar kit and installed it yesterday.BIG IMPROVEMENT!!!!!   easy to install.got the new springs and oil .gonna install today.thanks.
Old 02-03-2010, 09:50 AM
f0rmula_2001

The swaybar kit definitely makes the truck drive how a short course truck should. I would really recommend the Center diff and rear brake too. You can drive into the corners a lot harder throw it sideways and come out hard on the throttle. The truck goes more were you steer it rather than getting squirly when on the gas.
Old 02-03-2010, 02:44 PM
CarGuy7a

ORIGINAL: Superdave9206

Are those the standard offset wheels?

Dave

Yes, the wheels I posted the link to are Standard Offset and 14mm hex.

Here's a pic to show how they sit on the truck.
Old 02-03-2010, 06:33 PM
manuel frias

hey guys i just bought the traxxas slayer and it came in the mail yesterday..This thing is realy a handful! While i was tuneing the engine after break in i broke the front right axle carrier after it did a roll over in the grass. Is this part a preaty weak spot on the slayer? Should i upgrade and get a aluminum one or just stick with stock. Also what upgrades should i do to make it less likely to roll over?
Old 02-03-2010, 06:44 PM
f0rmula_2001

The axle carriers are pretty common. I would ebay a set of Revo carriers, they have the metal ring on them to keep from breaking. You can get all 4 from a parted out truck with all the bearings and everything for 20 bucks shipped. While your on there you should get a swaybar kit, and stiffer springs. If you are on a budget just get the next rate up from the rear and move the rears to the front. If no budget you can read this thread and see all the upgrades everyone else did.
Old 02-04-2010, 11:15 PM
manuel frias

I went to the hobby shop today and i bought a pair of integy axle carriers. They work preaty well and they survived a day of bashing. My problem is another part broke today. The back right drive yoke snaped. i dont understand why traxxas uses plastic components to transmit the power from the transmision to the wheels its completly stupid. I dont know any other company that dose this. Is there any upgrades of the drive shafts so they do not break?
Old 02-04-2010, 11:36 PM
f0rmula_2001

The aluminum axle carriers should hold up well. They do look nice too. I have been trying to get something figured out for the driveshafts for quite a while. I upgraded the U-Joints and they seem to last a little longer. I run MIP center CVDs and they are still like new after about 3 gallons of fuel. They were supposed to have wheel CVDs out early summer but there is nothing yet? I know FLM makes CVDs but i have heard a lot of mixed opinions about them. One of the guys I race with had them bind and break a couple of times, and twisted another one.
Old 02-05-2010, 02:15 PM
CarGuy7a

FLM CVD's are great. After all I did test the Protos. I've not heard anything about twisting or breaking them and TBH I don't really see how they could twist or break unless they were not put together properly or unless there was something binding somewhere, or a spool was ran in both front and rear diffs.

If you look at my picture above you can see the CVD's on the front.

As for the center shafts, you can use any CVD set made for a Revo 2.5. I have the THS Revo 2.5 Center CVD set on mine.

When installing CVD's ALWAYS use blue loctite on the set screws.
Old 02-05-2010, 02:31 PM
slayer76

DOES THE RADIO ANTENNA HAVE TO STICK THROUGH THE BODY,OR CAN I SHORTEN IT AND LEAVE IT UNDER BODY.WILL I GET INTERFERANCE OR LOSE RANGE ?
Old 02-05-2010, 02:35 PM
dapro

Another step further then using blue loctite on the CVD setscrews is putting a piece of heat shrink tubing over the screw, I have encountered loose set screws that were captured by the tubing

Old 02-05-2010, 06:44 PM
CarGuy7a

ORIGINAL: slayer76

DOES THE RADIO ANTENNA HAVE TO STICK THROUGH THE BODY,OR CAN I SHORTEN IT AND LEAVE IT UNDER BODY.WILL I GET INTERFERANCE OR LOSE RANGE ?

You can shorten the antenna tube yes, but DO NOT cut the wire or you will lose range and cause some serious issues.
Old 02-07-2010, 08:23 PM
twohammersoffun

is it difficult to put the gears in the trans to have reverce and the revo servo tray and servos with a 3 chanel radio ? dose enyone have a parts list for this mod and maybe alittel instruction?

Old 02-07-2010, 11:36 PM
manuel frias

how long dose a typical traxxas 3.3 engine last i run it a little on the rich side and am getng temps of 240 -260 after speed runs in the grass and dirt. I run my car fairly often and have gone thrue about 3/4 of a gallon in one week of having the truck. This is probably the most durable truck i have owned and made me re think traxxas a a rc company. still debating if i should get a revo ore a kit hpi savage.
Old 02-08-2010, 03:04 PM
CarGuy7a

ORIGINAL: mackoselek

is it difficult to put the gears in the trans to have reverce and the revo servo tray and servos with a 3 chanel radio ? dose enyone have a parts list for this mod and maybe alittel instruction?

I think you would have to install a 3.3 revo tranny, but then again the transmission gearing ratios wouldn't be correct for the Slayer. I don't really see the need for a reverse gear myself.

ORIGINAL:manuel frias

how long dose a typical traxxas 3.3 engine last i run it a little on the rich side and am getng temps of 240 -260 after speed runs in the grass and dirt. I run my car fairly often and have gone thrue about 3/4 of a gallon in one week of having the truck. This is probably the most durable truck i have owned and made me re think traxxas a a rc company. still debating if i should get a revo ore a kit hpi savage.
I've heard the typical life of the 3.3 is around 8 gallons give or take a couple gallons. Life expectancy of a motor also depends on the tune.
Old 02-09-2010, 12:55 PM
twohammersoffun

should he head pipe be tightend tight our have a bit of movement because i have broke two within 8 tanks and it always breaks right at the flange on the engin?

Old 02-09-2010, 01:19 PM
twohammersoffun

i was wondering what the offsett was on those rims
Old 02-09-2010, 01:20 PM
f0rmula_2001

Yeah it has to be tightened all the way. I would get rid of the bolt on headers and get a spring style header. its the same price and it is really hard to wreck.

Carguy,
I dont know what the other guys that were running FLM CVDs did to wreck them, they could have just been BSing me. I have been looking into them more on a few other forums and no one else has said anything bad, so i ordered a set. I am looking forward to not changing u joints and loosing Eclips. The only thing that i can say about them is the price is a little steep but look to be really strong. Did you notch the pins or anything to make sure they dont move.
Old 02-09-2010, 04:43 PM
CarGuy7a

ORIGINAL: f0rmula_2001

Yeah it has to be tightened all the way. I would get rid of the bolt on headers and get a spring style header. its the same price and it is really hard to wreck.

Carguy,
I dont know what the other guys that were running FLM CVDs did to wreck them, they could have just been BSing me. I have been looking into them more on a few other forums and no one else has said anything bad, so i ordered a set. I am looking forward to not changing u joints and loosing Eclips. The only thing that i can say about them is the price is a little steep but look to be really strong. Did you notch the pins or anything to make sure they dont move.
Definitely go with a spring mount header. The stock ones are junk IMO. The only prob though with spring mount is you can't run the EZ start which I didn't have a problem with because I hated it and wanted to switch to pull start and glo ignitor.

For the CVD's I really didn't need to do anything to install them except for using some blue loctite on the set screws. They come with a pin retaining ring to hold the pin in the axle cup. There was a guy over at the traxxas forums that bought a set a couple of months ago and FLM has updated the CVD's from the protos that I have and they look like a good update to the parts. Yeah I agree they are a tad pricey but I'm telling you they are worth it. I've had the protos Jamie sent me to test for almost a year now with hardly any signs of wear at all. They are definitely super strong, and I've been beating the crap out of them since the day I put them on without any problems.
Old 02-09-2010, 04:45 PM
CarGuy7a

ORIGINAL: mackoselek

i was wondering what the offsett was on those rims
Which rims? The RPM 3.2" revolver's? For offset I really don't have a clue what they are other than "standard offset" so whatever offset they measure out to I can't say.

I can say they work good and clear everything though. Really the only thing I had to do was raise the body mounts 1 or 2 notches.
Old 02-10-2010, 05:20 PM
twohammersoffun

why cant u use the ez start with the spring monut header
Old 02-10-2010, 05:40 PM
f0rmula_2001

I got it to work but its tight. you have to grind some off the bottom of the flange were it will hit the ez start. Then you have to put the header on before the ez-start because you probably wont be able to put the springs on with it on.
Old 02-10-2010, 06:05 PM
twohammersoffun

ok sweet do the 1/8 slash wheel adapters work on the slayers
Old 02-10-2010, 07:40 PM
f0rmula_2001

No the slash has 5mm axles, but you can get revo hubs or any of the other 17mm hubs for a 6mm axle.
Old 02-10-2010, 07:50 PM
twohammersoffun

ok can you install the revo reverce kit tra 5308 int them

Old 02-10-2010, 08:07 PM
f0rmula_2001

You would have to change to the revo gearing in the tranny and run a different clutch bell spur gear combo. I use the revo gearing so i can run an 1/8 CD and my gearing is between 18-20/34 gearing. That gets to to around 37-41mph on the track. you probably wont be able to get back to the stock speed with the revo gears, but i think that 50mph is to fast for an offroad truck with a narrow wheelbase anyways.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.