Notices
RC Nitro Stadium Trucks Discuss all aspects of rc nitro stadium trucks here

Traxxas Jato 3.3 Problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 03:17 PM
curtyb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Traxxas Jato 3.3 Problems

Hello all.. Hope somebody can help me, am now seriously fed up with spending money on my 2 week old jato that seems to have endless problems, Amazing performing car, extremly fast. But starting to turn out to be a unreliable peice of s**t that just keeps needing money thrown at it every time u have an hours use, thats if ur lucky to. Even payed out over £100 to have 2 pros in a hobby store replace parts of the brakes that melted and service it, but still continued to have problems after not much use at all.

the main problem is that when i do sometimes have brakes i pull the trigger in order to brake and it just cuts out every time. some pros say to turn the revs up, this does not work, after turning it way to high then yeh it doesnt cut out but then its running far to fast, my brake sytems seems to heat up very fast, i am currently using the pen tube mod that every1 seems to recommend, but still having serious problems getting this car to run how it should. it really does seem to be a very crap car in many ways, dont like the brake system at all. There is no dirt in the system. i have new brake cam,brake lever set, brake disc, brake disc hub, clutch bell kit,brake/transmission casing all for the second time in only 2 weeks. Good car but strongly recommend to avoid unless u dont mind spending more money on it than a real car

Seems to be known to constantly rip apart the brake discs. any help would be much appreciated.. Also if any1 can give me a pic or good exlanation on how to tune the carb perfectly. Thank you.. Curtis
Old 03-02-2009, 04:59 PM
JatoGuy

Default RE: Traxxas Jato 3.3 Problems

If your burning up the brakes then they are most likely rubbing. As for tuning the carb, I'm going to tell you what you dont want to hear - see the instruction manual (downloadable from traxxas.com) or traxxas.com for trouble shooting. I would recommend that you at least try to fix issues before "paying pros" this way you understand how things work. Good Luck !
Old 03-02-2009, 06:20 PM
quietnas1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The reason why your engine may be cutting off is because when you do hit the brakes the carb is closing all the way. On the carb there is a small screw called the IDLE SPEED SCREW. It is located on the carb behind the airfilter. You have to turn the screw inward or clockwise all the way in and then back it out about a quarter turn. That should keep the carb from closing all the way and keep the Jato running when you hit the brakes. Now as far as the brakes go I will have to get back on that with you cuz there are some pics I would like to post to show you. I'm on a phone right now at work and can't post pics at this time.
Old 03-04-2009, 03:59 AM
Hugh Betcha

+ 1 What quietnas said about the carb closing when you hit the brakes. Here is a great link from Traxas... about half way down the page it will show Hi and Low speed needle settings, as well as the idle stop screw and proper idle gap. There are also video examples to help.

http://www.traxxas.com/support/kb_se...l&cat=0&id=276

The brake on the Jato is tricky. Mine seemed to stick or stay applied, heating it up too much because there is nothing pulling the brake pads back off the rotor. The brake mod helps with more braking force but I added a spring to pull the pads away from the rotor slightly when not applied.

I used an antenna tube (purple) with about half of the original brake spring.

Then a pen tip that is slightly shorter (about 5mm) than the antenna tube.
The servo horn first pushes on the antenna tube and spring which gives a little plushness then hits the pen tip for more direct force to lock the brakes if you want. The spring on top connected to the servo horn pulls the brake pads back off the rotor so they don't stick or rub.

Old 03-04-2009, 01:39 PM
quietnas1

Ok Im back. Then pen tube mod works great. I also tried it but its just ugly. Here are some tricks I used using the stock brake disc and pads. Had my brakes locking up all the time. You don't need the dual brakes in the pics. I just bought them bcuz they look good. They do perform well also but really not needed. If your interested though here is the link. http://www.hobbyetc.com/cgi-bin/item.cgi?part_id=58791.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr51501.jpg
Views:	372
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	1150268   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh20470.jpg
Views:	738
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	1150269   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xc77999.jpg
Views:	475
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	1150270   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ga76491.jpg
Views:	600
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	1150271   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wi59586.jpg
Views:	331
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	1150272  
Old 03-07-2009, 06:11 PM
quietnas1

ORIGINAL: curtyb

Hello all.. Hope somebody can help me, am now seriously fed up with spending money on my 2 week old jato that seems to have endless problems, Amazing performing car, extremly fast. But starting to turn out to be a unreliable peice of s**t that just keeps needing money thrown at it every time u have an hours use, thats if ur lucky to. Even payed out over £100 to have 2 pros in a hobby store replace parts of the brakes that melted and service it, but still continued to have problems after not much use at all.

the main problem is that when i do sometimes have brakes i pull the trigger in order to brake and it just cuts out every time. some pros say to turn the revs up, this does not work, after turning it way to high then yeh it doesnt cut out but then its running far to fast, my brake sytems seems to heat up very fast, i am currently using the pen tube mod that every1 seems to recommend, but still having serious problems getting this car to run how it should. it really does seem to be a very crap car in many ways, dont like the brake system at all. There is no dirt in the system. i have new brake cam,brake lever set, brake disc, brake disc hub, clutch bell kit,brake/transmission casing all for the second time in only 2 weeks. Good car but strongly recommend to avoid unless u dont mind spending more money on it than a real car

Seems to be known to constantly rip apart the brake discs. any help would be much appreciated.. Also if any1 can give me a pic or good exlanation on how to tune the carb perfectly. Thank you.. Curtis
Just wondering if you were able to fix any of the issues you were having.
Old 03-07-2009, 06:46 PM
curtyb

Hi.

managed to fix problems, have very good brakes and also now fully understand the way everything works on my car and am certainly never going to be paying again to have anything done. Thanx to the power of the internet and people like yourself almost all is sweet with my car. Brakes r brilliant all though could certainly so with the better discs from hobbtec, thanx for that recomendation.

Only problem now is clutch bell seems to not last for more than 4 days use, only about half hour a day,it is only the standard traxxas one.. Is this down to my brakes being set incorrectly or ware on the plate where the clutch shoes rest under the clutch bell? Can u suggest anywhere in the u.k i can get a set of alloy clutch shoes if the do exist for the jato 3.3?

Thanx for all your help anyway. Curt
Old 03-07-2009, 08:25 PM
quietnas1

http://www.hobbyetc.com/cgi-bin/item.cgi?part_id=44321 Here is the link. It is a 3 clutch system with the flywheel and alloy clutch shoes.
Old 07-08-2009, 09:37 PM
limp302

hey guys hope somone can help im ready to throw my jato out a window i've had the hobby shop take my trany apart twice because my number one gear is stripped out it it doesn't have a reverse and the standard 3.3 and tiresi can't make it through a full tank of gas before it strips unless i baby it they said that the only thing they can do if they can't find a stronger gear is to de tune the truck thats not an ok answer for me any help would be great i love and hate this truck thanks
Old 07-09-2009, 12:38 PM
curtyb

Hi, do yourself a favour, get rid of the jato. All i ever did with mine was spend money on it, withing 6 weeks owning it i spent £335 on replacing parts. They are one piece of ****, Revo 3.3 is solid, bro has one, thats not to bad at all, jato- the parts seem to be made so cheap that it only leaves u to beleive its purely done for the money, no matter what u do, u will only keep spending more and more on it, sell it and replace it with a hyper 8.5 pro chasis or similar, for around £100, and get ur self a few other things off ebay or something and get a buggy on the go, you will certainly thank yourself for it. I didnt want to let go off my jato when i had it, i know how u feel, its so fast and fun on a street but it really is a piece of ****. on a track its useless unless its tarmac. Which is rare compared to the amount of off road tracks about. When i raced mine in rallycross champs with 4wd buggys, i got nowhere when it came to points. Didnt have a chance in the world. That made me realise along with every 2 days use at most i would have to go to a modelshop and buy new parts. Most of the time though every time a had ago with it something happened. Tske my advice, Get rid and get a hobao, losi, Team associated, and get in with some race days and have some proper fun. Curt
Old 07-09-2009, 01:35 PM
quietnas1

The Jato is not a peice of junk. Sorry you had bad luck with yours. I have had my Jato 3.3 for almost 2 yrs now and I have run it almost every day on my lunch break at work and rarely break parts. The worst issue I have had is with the tranny. 2 trannies in almost 2 yrs not bad.
Old 07-14-2009, 11:01 PM
Axe Cp

If you are interested in a new car, although not off-road , the street force gp 2 is amazing. I bought mine 3 years ago from [link=http://www.towerhobbies.com]Tower Hobbies[/link] and have NEVER had a problem with it. Durabilty is amazing, crashed it into a concrete curb at appox. 50 MPH and all I had to was replace was the muffler that was bent. This thing is also fast clocked mine at 69 MPH and could probably get more speed out of it with tuning.
Old 12-29-2009, 09:58 PM
Mrtnz-ivan

Hello...I am new to the Jato 3.3..its been running good..but lately ive had some problems with it..i was hoping someone here could help me out..i really do like it and would like for it to run again..everything on it is still the same as when i got it on the box...but just last week i was running it and the it just didnt run as fast when i was bringing it in..when i checked it i noticed the Clutch Bell was moving around..and my Spur Gear(54T) was getting damaged..as the clutch bell jumped around and would now and then grip and slip..i took it to the hobby shop i bought it in..they checked for the parts missing and gave me the required parts to fix it... I was missing the following..
E-clip #1633
5x8x0.5TW #1985
5x11x4 BB #4611
and i had to replace the spur gear(54T) ...
but when i was going to put the parts in,it wasnt as easy as i thought..on the Jato 3.3 engine assembly diagram(http://www.hobbiesr.com/tra/tra-expl....3_explode.pdf)it shows it needs two BB but when i put both in..the Cluth Bell seems to stick out..and when i only one it..it fits in perfectly..i was wondering if someone could show me how to install the parts...i dont want to install something wrong and have to buy more parts again..
if some one could help me it would be really helpfull..if you need pictures of the car and how the clutch bell and everything looks on it i will post some up if needed..i would really appreciate it if someone could help me out with this problem..thanks..
Old 05-15-2010, 10:04 PM
levesque0031
My Feedback: (2)

hi i hope some body is reading this
im rebuilding a jato 3.3 and got everything brand new but when it came time to let her ripp
i turn on my controller and the on switch  but i get no respond from the trottle or the steering servo
could this be a bad receiver or what  causeive tried a different receiver and still nothing so please if somebody is reading 
email me please cause i dont know how i got here and probably wont be able to come back
so here is
[email protected]
Old 05-16-2010, 06:08 PM
jatoracing33

As stated, your brakes are probably rubbing and your idle screw is turned out too far. The jato isn't a piece of junk, you just have to get used to it. To ensure that my brakes don't rub, i put a piece of tape on the other end of the linkage, that way when i apply the throttle, the brakes are pretty much guaranteed to not rub. also, just do a double check and make sure none of the screws are too tight anywhere. The only time i break parts on my jato is when i drive it straight into a solid object.
Old 07-11-2010, 03:11 AM
jatomoneypit

Jatos are awesome once you get used to them  they take some time to tune correctly as with any nitro but i've found the 3.3 to be a little harder to tune  As for the no power to servos problem start simple pull hte battery box cover off and check that all the AA's are pushed in the holder all the way (happened to me a lot till i started wrapped the holder with a little electrical tape) get the brakes to stop good throw on a GOOD set of tires as the stock anacondas are junk and enjoy your 4-wheeled rocket!
Old 04-09-2011, 04:47 PM
dt_xo

im looking for somone to help me out i just got a jato3.3 4 days ago and i did all the brakein and stuff i was driveing it today and it just shut off and will nt start up theres a good glow plug in it it gets fuel it turnsover just will not start  neone help me figer this out befor i smash this pice of shi**
Old 04-11-2011, 12:55 PM
moe7404

put a throttle return spring on the break rod, to release the breaks. and get the duel disc break, from HOT RACING, and take the spring and fuel line off the break rod, put an aul tube,in place, o.d. 3.15 i.d. 2.36 metric , .6 inch long. then work on the adjustments. be sure to put loc-tite on the center screw
Old 04-24-2011, 10:44 PM
desertfoxf40

dt xo. take the glow plug out and turn the motor over like your going to start it. it may be flooded. then put pluggg bak in and try it. if it happens again do the same thing again. one u gget it running try adjjusting or tuning it. was it ideling when it shut off or at speed