Notices
RC Nitro Stadium Trucks Discuss all aspects of rc nitro stadium trucks here

Losi XXX-NT engines, difference?

Old 05-12-2009, 06:50 PM
Barber420
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Losi XXX-NT engines, difference?

My buddy just got a used XXX-NT with the Mach .15 with the blue head on it and the engine is junk. While searching for stock replacements we found two apparently different versions of the same motor. One is a little more expensive and has a black head. The other is the one with the blue head, and that's what's on his truck now. Are their any differences in power, reliability, or tunability between these two motors? Will they both work on his truck? Here are some pics of the two different motors.

Black head: www.myatomic.com/catalog/viewsku?sku=DYN0882

Blue head: www.myatomic.com/catalog/viewsku?sku=DYN0880
Old 05-12-2009, 07:55 PM
Chris_RC

Default RE: Losi XXX-NT engines, difference?

The black headed version, called the RE(rear exhaust) makes a little more power than the SE engine. Because of the difference, they use different manifolds. They will both work, but for $110 you can do better, not saying the .15RE isnt a bad engine. I have both, bought the SE used, and it runs ok but I prefer the RE engine, which comes on the sport 2 rtr. Look at the dynamite .12platinum, dynamite .12 spd, os .12 cv-r (if you can find one) os .12 cv (just ok). There aer a couple other engiens depending on budget though.
Old 05-12-2009, 11:55 PM
usa98030

I prefer the RE engine also, thats what i have in my xxx-nt
Old 05-13-2009, 01:17 AM
djzachtyler
My Feedback: (4)

I should be getting my AD2 in a couple of days, what are some good engine suggestions you guys would recommend for a faster vehicle. Not sure what engine is on it yet, but it looks pretty new.
Old 05-13-2009, 08:44 AM
Chris_RC

Look at the dynamite .12 spd or .21 platinum depending how much power you want.
Old 05-13-2009, 08:58 AM
MCSRacing
My Feedback: (2)

i have found that a SG shaft motor requires a flywheel with a larger collet hole, i would say stay with a standard crank and go with anything from a .12spd to a cv-r.18 ...... i run a cv-r .18 in my ad2tq and its way fassstttttt ... very hard to keep the front end on the ground, it fly's the front on command!!!! my tz .12 turns over 10k more rpm's so its a way faster top end motor .... it rips the tires from the wheels tuning out the top end!!
Old 05-13-2009, 03:59 PM
Barber420

Thanks for the info. I'll make sure to let him know. I think he'll probably want to go with the stock mach series of engine though. If he does we'll definitely go with the RE version for a little boost in power. I'll see if I can find a better deal on a .15 engine for him to put in there. Is their any reason so many of the engine recomendations were .12? I mean, it comes with a .15 stock.[&:]
Old 05-13-2009, 04:23 PM
Chris_RC

ORIGINAL: Barber420

Thanks for the info. I'll make sure to let him know. I think he'll probably want to go with the stock mach series of engine though. If he does we'll definitely go with the RE version for a little boost in power. I'll see if I can find a better deal on a .15 engine for him to put in there. Is their any reason so many of the engine recomendations were .12? I mean, it comes with a .15 stock.[&:]
RTRs generally come with bigger engines because you get teh same power, but cheaper than .12s. A good .12 engien will outrev any .15 or .18 and have a much more controllable powerband. Also, there is a bigger variety of .12 engines than .15 or .18s.
Old 05-13-2009, 08:15 PM
Barber420

Ok, that's kind of what I was thinking after I made the post. Makes sense. Maybe we'll look into an O.S. or something. Are the Dynamites the best way to go as far as power and reliability for value?

Edit: Looked at the Dynamite SPD .12 and it's only $80. Is it better than the $110 Mach .15RE even though it's $30 cheaper? Is the Dynamite Platinum .12 worth the extra $30 over the Mach .15RE?
Old 05-13-2009, 09:04 PM
djzachtyler

ORIGINAL: MCSRacing

i have found that a SG shaft motor requires a flywheel with a larger collet hole, i would say stay with a standard crank and go with anything from a .12spd to a cv-r.18 ...... i run a cv-r .18 in my ad2tq and its way fassstttttt ... very hard to keep the front end on the ground, it fly's the front on command!!!! my tz .12 turns over 10k more rpm's so its a way faster top end motor .... it rips the tires from the wheels tuning out the top end!!
good to know, I have the cv-RX .18 on my TC3+ and am still breaking it in, but looks like it will blow the doors off that car... I also Have a DuraTrax Maximum ST that had the Torq .12 engine, it hauled ass for a small engine, but now after all is said and done I put a DTX .18 in it and it flies off jumps, but is heavier & more of a basher... I want my AD2 to be a speedster, guess I should just wait and see what engine it has installed... has an orange heatsink, but cannot ID the crankcase, so....
Old 05-16-2009, 04:07 PM
djzachtyler

well I got my xxxnt, but it is just an RTR model with the drake pipe. guy I bought it from is even arguing that it is an AD2 that his son swapped a few parts on... Whatever, I still got a good deal. Engine is a omega XT .12with a slide carb never heard of Omega, any one here know anything about it? may run it just to see how well it does top end.... has a back plate and is bump start only, swo will have to see what the deal is...