RC Nitro Stadium Trucks Discuss all aspects of rc nitro stadium trucks here

RC10GT motor upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 01:02 PM
ArcticCatRider
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RC10GT motor upgrade

I'm coming close to wearing out the stock AE .15 motor in my truck.

Any suggestions for a new one? Picco .12 Red Dot? Or an OS .15 of some kind?

Am I going to have to hack the crank? Can I keep a pull start on the Picco's...or at least a tiger drive?

Thanks!
Old 11-18-2009, 03:06 PM
yakfish
My Feedback: (27)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: RC10GT motor upgrade

I would suggest either an OS .18CVR or the OS .18TZ. I have had both of them and I think the CVR give you better bang for your buck. it is a complete drop in replacement you can use you original flywheel and clutch assembly and the exhaust will bolt right on. I have also heard great things about the LRP Z.18S I haven't used one so I don't know first hand how good it is but I have an LRP Z.28 in an MT and it is an awesome engine.. If I every need to get a small b lock engine for another RC10GT I will probablly try out the LRP .18.

The 18TZ has alittle more punch and revs higher but it also cost more and you will need to buy an exhuast manifold that will fit since it is a rear exhaust engine vs. the side ehaust. from my personal experience you are better off just going with the CVR.

Both engine will make your RC10GT run like a scalded dog! especaily compared to the stock .15 you are use to running.

Here is the CVR which is a drop in replacement http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXGGP8&P=ML

Here is the TZ which you will need to get a manifold for. http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXHLV9&P=ML
and the manifold I used: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXFBA0&P=7
If I remember right I had to cut the crank back about 3/8 of an inch.

here is the LRP http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXPRL0&P=0
from the pics it looks like you might need to cut this crank down a bit too.
Old 11-18-2009, 04:53 PM
ArcticCatRider
My Feedback: (6)

Yakfish.....I really appreciate it.

I think the CVR might be the way I go....

Did you upgrade any parts of the trans, or the spur or outdrives to handle the .18?
Old 11-18-2009, 10:07 PM
yakfish

ORIGINAL: ArcticCatRider

Yakfish.....I really appreciate it.

I think the CVR might be the way I go....

Did you upgrade any parts of the trans, or the spur or outdrives to handle the .18?
Yeah, I got all the RRP gears that were available for it. when I was finished there wasn't a plastic gear left in the drivetrain. If you are on a buget I would just suggest you upgrade the gears as you need them. if you strip one of the stock plastic gears get the metal upgrade for it. thats what I did. once everything was upgraded it was bulletproof. I kept the stock driveshafts and outdrive and never had a problem with them. I was waiting for them to go out on me then I was going to upgrade to the MIP CVD's but I never needed to.
for a short while I dropped in an LRP Z.28 Spec 3 in it just for fun. even with all the power the drive train still held up.
Old 11-19-2009, 10:58 AM
MCSRacing
My Feedback: (2)

we run cvr18's in our GT's and we run plastic gears in the transmission with out any problems
Old 11-19-2009, 01:59 PM
yakfish

ORIGINAL: MCSRacing

we run cvr18's in our GT's and we run plastic gears in the transmission with out any problems
I was stipping the plastics gears with the TZ. Once I switched to RRP metal gears it was bullet proof