Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Nitro Stadium Trucks
Reload this Page >

New winter project: RC10GT big block conversions

Community
Search
Notices
RC Nitro Stadium Trucks Discuss all aspects of rc nitro stadium trucks here

New winter project: RC10GT big block conversions

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 08:30 AM
sullivanracing06

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New winter project: RC10GT big block conversions

yea with that small of a spur will let that thing fly!!!! and hopefully keep the front end down some lol!

looking good, wish rpm made a receiver box for the gt2.....

cheers, tom
Old 01-20-2010, 08:59 AM
quietnas1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man its coming together nice. You got me rethinking my whole shelf queen idea.
Old 01-20-2010, 08:28 PM
yakfish
My Feedback: (27)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I still have the second one sittingon the table waiting for me to do something with it. I think I will leave the chassis mostly stock for now and then drop in the hyper .21 I have in my hyper 7 then get some Proline Moabs for it. It will be my off roader with mild power.

But this thing with the 427 will be my speed machine! I just need a few small things for it and I am going to get a set of Jaco foams to put on it too then I will need to get bodys for both trucks. I think I want to get a Baja Bug body for the off roader and I'm not sure what to get for the 427. Any suggestions?
Old 01-23-2010, 08:02 AM
chazmadaz

yakfish why wouldnt you run it off road i know the 427 is a powerhouse. After i saw what you are doing im thinking of building my own from the ground up and putting a 427 in it is it just to much power for a track? or would you just perfer to run it on the road? Love the looks of this project its coming along great! can't wait to see what you do with the other car
Old 01-23-2010, 10:25 AM
rcslsafut

man , that thing is wicked!!!!!
i just have one question though ? my gt has a os cvr .15 in it and it will just smoke the tires off in the street, and off road
i know you said your not going to run it much,but even with a 18 tz i dont know how a person could put down that kind of power!
let alone a mach 427!! or any big block for that matter!! Can a person make a gt driveable with THAT much power?
Old 01-23-2010, 10:51 AM
yakfish

chazmadaz: I could run it off road and it would do fine but I am outting a set of foam Jaco tire on it and will be lowering the suspension as much as I can to help with the stability a high speeds. I am working on a second build right noe too and it will have a Ofna Hyper .21 in it. I am not going to gear it as high as the one with the 427 and it will have a set of Proline Moab tires for off road on it. the 427 will do fine off road it just isn't what its purpose will be. I may put the offroad tire on it every now and then just for kicks!

rcslsafut: I built a GT last year and it had an OS 18TZ in it I was running a RRP 65T steel spur gear and a 19T clutch bell and it was a power house and would pull the wheels off the ground at 30+ MPH. that was a Spur/CB ratio of 3.42:1 I am running a 44T spur and a 21T CB with the 427 which makes a ratio of 2.09:1 that is a huge difference and will give this thi nng an awesome top end and the engine has enough power it should still burn the tires off! I think the stock RC10GTs came with a 66T spur and a 15T CB which is a ratio of 4.4:1 which is great for bottom end but it didn't have much top end to it. What are you running for gearing?
Old 01-23-2010, 11:47 AM
yakfish

I just came in from doing some test runing. I put about 2 tanks through it. the road outside is still a bit on the damp side so traction was an issue. I couldn't get much past 1/4 throttle from a dead stop without spinning out. if I ease into the throttle it is deffinently more managable. I can't wait for dry pavement to really get a good feel for how this truck will perform it isn't done yet but it is useable the way it is. I wasn't sure how the gearing was going to affect its bottom end but I could probable afford to lose a few teeth on the spure and be fine. I may see if I can get a bigger CB to fit too. if I hit a dry patch of road the front end would go up very easily and even at half throttle the speed is scary! it is supposed to be nice today so I'm hoping the streets will dry up a bit today and I can do some speed runs with the GPS strapped on and see just how quick she is!!!!
I had one problem with moving the battery and switch to the front. I flipped the truck once and the battery moved just enough to hit the switch to "OFF" position and the truck started to rev higher. fortunanly I was just a few feet away and was able to turn the switch back on quickly. I will have to try and figure out something else for the battery or make some type of a protector for the switch.
Old 01-23-2010, 11:58 AM
chazmadaz

great to hear so if i put the 427 in it do you think it could be competitive to the losi 8ight?
Old 01-23-2010, 12:51 PM
rcslsafut

15 cb 66 spur on mine!!
i know that engine does not have alot power as i have had it in my t maxx(for a min)
the .18tz in my maxx flat gets with the program . so thats my comparision.
i have not tryed a different gear in my gt, but i do know that the os.15cvr has plenty
power for that truck, for my use of it anyway!!!!thats why i say WHOLY COW man
how much power can you put to ground on a gt? because if your not putting to the
ground, its a waste. imo.dont get me wrong i think what your doing is AWSOME!!!!!
Old 01-23-2010, 01:44 PM
yakfish

ORIGINAL: chazmadaz

great to hear so if i put the 427 in it do you think it could be competitive to the losi 8ight?
What do you mean by competitive? do you mean on a track or in a straight line? on a track the Losi 8ight is king. but in a straight line it wouldn't even be close the rc10gt with the 427 would stomp all over the stock Losi 8ight but the 8ight is designed and built to run on a track and handle corners and jump well. the losi 8ight RTR comes with the 427 stock and weighs nearly twice as much as the rc10gt so you do the math!lol! if you can get the power to the ground and gear it right and you put the same engine in a car with half the weight you will win every time (in a straight line of course). I have an Ofna Jammin X1 truggy which is comparable to the Losi 8ight so I do have a point of refference with truggies.

If you are wanting to put a big block inyour RC10GT you will need to upgrade some other parts as well so your truck can handle the extra power. I would not want to try it with the stock plastic tranny gears. I have mine upgraded to the RRP aluminum gears so there is no plastic left in my tranny I am also getting a set of MIP CVDs to finish up the drive train I just haven't gotten them in yet.

Old 01-23-2010, 01:49 PM
yakfish

ORIGINAL: rcslsafut

15 cb 66 spur on mine!!
i know that engine does not have alot power as i have had it in my t maxx(for a min)
the .18tz in my maxx flat gets with the program . so thats my comparision.
i have not tryed a different gear in my gt, but i do know that the os.15cvr has plenty
power for that truck, for my use of it anyway!!!!thats why i say WHOLY COW man
how much power can you put to ground on a gt? because if your not putting to the
ground, its a waste. imo.dont get me wrong i think what your doing is AWSOME!!!!!

I have found the RC10GT has some of the best aftermarket parts support of any RC I have had. if you want it for the GT someone has made an aftermarket part for it. the are tons of gearing options for the GT . RRP and kimbrough make spur gears for the GT any where from as small as 54T up to 68T I think. I have some 54T or 56T spurs but I wanted something even smaller with the Bigger engines so I had to fabricate my own.
Old 01-23-2010, 01:54 PM
yakfish

I have been looking at tower hobbies trying to find some other spur gear options and I came across the steel spur gear for the Duratrax raze. I though that it looked like it might work and I remembered I had one new in the package from a raze I had a few years ago. so I went out and dug around through my junk for a few minutes and I found it!! and it works!!

here is the link to it. after about 5 minutes on the grinder I have a steel gear that fits the GT and has only 46 teeth!! the best part is if I need to ever replace it it is only $6.29!
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXLVX0&P=7
Old 01-23-2010, 02:00 PM
yakfish

here are some pics of what I needed to do to it to make it work.

here is the original gear before any work was done to it.

the other side. notice the raised ring.

the nose had to come off

the ring is gone

the nose is ground off too

2 holes for the mounting screws

slipper hub

shortened the screws

mounted
Old 01-23-2010, 03:23 PM
yakfish

Check out my new speedometer. I should be able to test it in the next hour or two!!!!
Old 01-23-2010, 04:02 PM
chazmadaz

no i was talking about on the track yakfish would it be at all a challenge to it on a track? if so how would i do it im getting my rc 10 gt today or tomorrow i hope its got a nice engine i dont know any specs on anything though the guy seemed to forget everything he did but he only drove it on the grass and it looks brand new! im excited to see it
Old 01-23-2010, 04:23 PM
yakfish

If you are planning on racing it at a track I would keep a small block in it. From what I understand only .12 engine are legal at a track unless you have your own track and can make your own rules! even then I would say the 8ight will have the advantage since it is 4wd and wider it will handle better not to mention the suspesion geometry is newer and more advanced. they are both in two seperate classes. the RC10GT was a strong contender in its class just as the 8ight is a strong contender in its class. The big engine in the GT kind of throw off the balance of the truck for racing in anything more than just a staight line. My reason for buillding this truck is to see how fast I can get it to go and thats about it. I am just a basher and a speed freak! I have RC's that I could use on a track and race if I ever get around to doing that but this won't be the truck I would use for that purpose.

And congrats on your new GT show us all some pics of it!!
Old 01-23-2010, 05:56 PM
yakfish

Well I know it will do at least 62.5 MPH. Thats how fast it was before it wheelied and flipped it self on it top and messed up my GPS. That was at less than 3/4 throttle! so with with enough space on a smooth surface it will do well into the 70's or more. it had lots of rpm left I just couldn't keep the nose down. I also burned my tires off with 2 tanks of fuel and I was going easy on it!!
Old 01-23-2010, 09:16 PM
chazmadaz

heres a pic of it i found a mach 427 on ebay i think im going to give it a shot and stick it in this gt when i get it
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj22236.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	1362715  
Old 01-23-2010, 09:22 PM
rcslsafut

that could get expensive fast,yakfish!!!!!
wholy cow wheelie at 50 plus .dang it man!!!!
im glad its not my budget thats keepin that thing running!!!!
it would have been parked already!!!
one set of tires per 2 tanks ,WHOA EASY NOW!!!
i am glad its in a gt any way and not one of them others!
Old 01-23-2010, 10:53 PM
yakfish

the last wheelie was at 62.5 MPHwhen it flipped on its top and screwed up my GPS[:@]

so I'm making a wheelie bar for it its just a peice of aluminum I had in the garage. I drilled the holes it it and it mount between the chassis and the tranny/rear bulkhead. I just need to figure out what I am going to do for wheels on it. this is my 2nd GT that will get the Ofna Hyper .21 in the pics. If it works I will make another one for the GT with the 427.

Old 01-23-2010, 11:03 PM
rcslsafut

looks good ,that should protect the gps!!!
man that could cost more than whole car project
some gps's pretty pricey!!!
Old 01-24-2010, 07:03 AM
chazmadaz

very nice haha the gps is funny so yakfish if i dont get the 427 what type of small block should i get??

Old 01-24-2010, 08:15 AM
yakfish

ORIGINAL: chazmadaz

very nice haha the gps is funny so yakfish if i dont get the 427 what type of small block should i get??

OS 18CVR or OS18TZ. The CVR will work with the motor mount you already have and the exhaust will bolt right on. the TZ will need and differentl exhaust header but everything else will fit. If you are wanting something race legal then I think you will need to get a size.12 engine but I don't have any experience with them.
Old 01-24-2010, 09:03 AM
chazmadaz

im not going to race i just practice with a track with all losi 8ights i want to try to build somthing that can hang with them
Old 01-24-2010, 03:51 PM
yakfish

In that case an OS18CVR or 18TZ would be an awesome chiose for what you are wanting to do with it. you will have to experiment with your gearing options to get it suited to the track you are running. I had a TZ in my last RC10GT and I clocked it at around45-53 with 65T/19T gears and it would wheelie at any speed on demand. but was still very managable. I would also like to try out the LRP .18 sometime it sounds like it is a great running engine for the price.

Also your truck in the pics looks like it is in great shape already, but I don't think it is an RC10GT. The shock towers are different the the front suspension arms look different from what I can see and the reciever box is sitting where the steering servo should be. It does look very similar but I think it is probably something else.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.