RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Nitro Stadium Trucks (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-nitro-stadium-trucks-243/)
-   -   All my nitros got discontinued! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-nitro-stadium-trucks-243/11637318-all-my-nitros-got-discontinued.html)

xRuddyx 03-12-2017 03:13 PM

All my nitros got discontinued!

I have about 10 rc cars/ trucks and maybe 4 drones I built myself. Im noticing a disturbing trend, and that is that alot of major rc companies are moving away from nitro and I think that sucks. One of my favorite nitros is my Hpi firestorm nt and also my Associated sc10gt. Both discontinued and both very popular. I still have a perfectly running tower terror .25 but- discontinued. I do have several battery powered rc's but I still love the tuning involved with nitro. I hope they dont go the way of the dinosaur, cuz theres still alot of nitro lovers out there.

1QwkSport2.5r 03-13-2017 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by xRuddyx (Post 12315149)
I have about 10 rc cars/ trucks and maybe 4 drones I built myself. Im noticing a disturbing trend, and that is that alot of major rc companies are moving away from nitro and I think that sucks. One of my favorite nitros is my Hpi firestorm nt and also my Associated sc10gt. Both discontinued and both very popular. I still have a perfectly running tower terror .25 but- discontinued. I do have several battery powered rc's but I still love the tuning involved with nitro. I hope they dont go the way of the dinosaur, cuz theres still alot of nitro lovers out there.

Nitro is alive and well. One bonus to electric being as popular as it is, is that GOOD nitro engines are much more affordable. You can get a Novarossi (still precision made in Italy) cheaper than a Chinese or Taiwanese knockoff. I have 4 nitro trucks and several spare engines.. I'm good to run for many years into the future. ;)

xRuddyx 03-13-2017 04:25 PM

Yeah I guess you have a point there I just dont like it when parts get hard to find. Seems Redcat has noticed the void and makes alot of nitro models.

1QwkSport2.5r 03-13-2017 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by xRuddyx (Post 12315546)
Yeah I guess you have a point there I just dont like it when parts get hard to find. Seems Redcat has noticed the void and makes alot of nitro models.

And Redcat is one of the bottom of the barrel manufacturers when it comes to quality. Traxxas is alive and well as is Associated and Losi. Old models that have been discontinued for a longer period of time will have less parts support. Traxxas and Losi have been good about keeping parts available for some of their older models.. HPI was bought out by another company because they were going downhill quickly - probably due in part to not innovating. If a company keeps producing the same old stuff, new customers will go elsewhere because everyone wants the "latest and greatest". It's a good time to buy stuff cheap though - surf eBay and Craigslist. There is stuff all over the place for the older models. It just takes some time to find it.

xRuddyx 03-13-2017 05:54 PM

You know this is all a trend of "instant gratification", i.e. Plug n play. Noone wants to learn the ins and outs of nitros anymore. Well mot noone, but certainly alot less peeps. And I get it, with all the new lipo tech, cars are just fu fast. But nothing! No nothing! Beats the sound, smell, and look of a wot nitro!! Thanks Qwk nice chat

1QwkSport2.5r 03-14-2017 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by xRuddyx (Post 12315571)
You know this is all a trend of "instant gratification", i.e. Plug n play. Noone wants to learn the ins and outs of nitros anymore. Well mot noone, but certainly alot less peeps. And I get it, with all the new lipo tech, cars are just fu fast. But nothing! No nothing! Beats the sound, smell, and look of a wot nitro!! Thanks Qwk nice chat

LiPo/brushless certainly has its advantages (or electric in general), but at least for me, nitro is what I enjoy. I have over 50 glow engines (most of them are aircraft engines) and I've run almost all of them. Someday I'd like to put a .60 4-stroke into one of my LST2 trucks just to try it. The 4-stroke will run on $6.20/gallon glow fuel as opposed to the $18-20/gal car fuel (nitromethane is freaking expensive these days!).