RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Nitro Stadium Trucks (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-nitro-stadium-trucks-243/)
-   -   HPI MT2 rebuild (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-nitro-stadium-trucks-243/11672517-hpi-mt2-rebuild.html)

Wheeljack 12-01-2019 01:55 PM

HPI MT2 rebuild

So a couple years ago, my former boss was throwing out a bunch of stuff and one of the items was his HPI MT2. He let me have it and after about 2 years of it staying in storage after moving, I finally have time to look over it. Right off the bat it is missing some key items, starter box, air intake and filter. The antenna is broken and zip tied to the rear shock tower. The battery box is corroded. Shocks are worn and/or shot completely. It's also missing the cover for the gearbox to protect the spur gear.

A few questions I have is, the truck runs with a 27 MHz receiver and transmitter, besides replacing both, is it really a pain to convert it to 2.4 GHz? Does anyone have a PDF for the owner's manual so I can see what else is missing? Can I convert this to a pull start easily? Does HPI still sell parts for this older model?

I haven't messed with nitro since 2007. My last couple RCs was a XL5 Rustler and my VXL Slash 4x4. I really haven't kept up with the hobby all that much.

D3MON 12-03-2019 07:50 AM

as far as the manual i usually go here:
HPI Racing Manuals
converting to 2.4GHZ is as simple as take the old stuff out and plugging the new stuff in, you will just have a smaller receiver, shorter antenna (if any at all), and alot better usability.
(personally i like the FlySky GT3C, its right around 50$, or even the FlySky GT3B right around 40$.
depending on what engine, there is a chance to convert to pullstart, but many have different crankshafts to compensate for the reduced amount of weight, and lack of needing a one way bearing. if you cant find a bump box there are a few different good engines, first one that comes to mind is a SH .18 (60$), or Dynamite .19 Mach 2. ($110).
sadly also HPI has been going in and out of business lately, it seems they have figured themselves out but they are pretty much restarting from the "ground up" their words not mine, so replacement parts are going to be awhile to get back to full capacity, and for that truck being an older platform i dont know if they ever will completely restart making parts for it. you may be able to find new old stock on ebay though. best way to go about that is to find the part numbers and search for that instead of part name.
for your air filter, i have been liking the dynamite air filters, they are pretty cheap and seem to work well, you can get cheaper replacement elements for it too.

Wheeljack 12-06-2019 07:11 PM

I think I may do an engine swap. I'll give Dynamite a look over. The first and only Nitro I had was a Nitro Rustler 2.5 and I felt like it had too much power for me at the time, however I do have way more experience than I had back then. Does OFNA still exist? Back in 2007, they were quite popular if I recall for engines.