RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Nitro Stadium Trucks (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-nitro-stadium-trucks-243/)
-   -   What is your age? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-nitro-stadium-trucks-243/2787266-what-your-age.html)

GT-Power 03-22-2005 10:59 AM

RE: What is your age?

My other addictions have been dirtbike and quad racing (til i had a bad accident and realized life is more important than flying around a track on the hairline of being a vegetable the rest of your life) and full size rock crawlers. I am building a FJ40 up right now. Got a new tub with only a few rust holes and MIG'ed em up and Hopefully getting a TIG soon (Miller squarewave) So I can build myself a cage (I am good welder, dont worry) :)

nitro monkey 03-22-2005 03:27 PM

I just turned 15 last month and i have been in rocketry with my dad for about 5 years and we have 13 rockets. Then my dad bought a cheap free-flight heli but he never bought the starter kit and thats been sitting in my garage for 2 1/2 years now with out running:D then I just bought a used Nitro Rustler for 200 bucks and it had a POS engine that didnt run and the stock wheels and tires were scratched up and busted and the rear tires had no foam inserts, and a busted shock tower. So when i ran it the handling suck so bad. so I went over to his house and said give me back atleast 150 bucks or the cops will be here, you should have seen him gitty up and get that money....lol so he did and i was happy and bought new parts and hop-ups with it

-Ryan

dirtdogg 03-22-2005 06:58 PM

I am 31 and got my first real rc car at age 13, it was a tamiya hornet.It was very difficult to put together at that age but i had an uncle who helped me with it. It was lots of fun and my friend had a tamiya frog that was cool also but I moved away and lost interest until about a few years ago when i bought a traxxas stampede. I built it and destroyed it quite a few times and just recently got into nitro with a hpi mt2.Still working out all the bugs but none the less i really like it alot so far. I dont know if it will withstand the abuse that i put my stampede through but i will have fun anyway. RC universe kicks ***** .

fga 03-22-2005 07:57 PM

ORIGINAL: TokyoExpress

ORIGINAL: fga

27 here. this is my first R/C since i was 13..... not including trying to fly last year. i went from nothing to a nitro evader. picked it up pretty fast.

my last truck before this was in the 80's, alittle something from the Sears Catalog called the super LOBO!!;)i owned an original Blackfoot sometime, i just don't remember how old i was. i think it was before the lobo.
The LOBO?! I remember those...I don't recall Sears having them, but in the early days of affordable R/C I guess a lot of retailers stocked them. By the way, where on SI do you run your cars? I'm guessing Brownie's.
One more item of interest, I remember when I was a kid, I was in Brooklyn and I saw a non-hobby store that had a Kangaroo kit on the shelf.
As far as all of you on this thread, it's nice to see such a range of hobbyists involved in this great pastime of R/C. I raise a pint of 20% nitro to you all! (accidentally drinks it) YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
what's up?
yeah, the Sears christmas catalog carried it. everyone on the block had one... but we didn't get the frequency thing back then:D
there are only 2 hobby shops here. "Brownies" like you said, and a newer one, "Agressive Hobbies". we go there for things, but they carry nothing for Duratrax at all.
they just built a track right on the beach!!! that's where we run. itis like a half paved, half off-road oval with long straightaways... totally free to hang out for the day.

are there any local tracks in NJ, not too far? i can't find one that 's not 5 hours of driving.

Lantern 03-22-2005 09:36 PM

Hmmm.. I'm 29 and a little shocked that there isn't more my age in here. I guess it takes my age group a couple more years to figure out that trying to look cool isn't as much fun as jumping and racing these things!!

46u 03-22-2005 10:18 PM

ORIGINAL: Lantern

Hmmm.. I'm 29 and a little shocked that there isn't more my age in here. I guess it takes my age group a couple more years to figure out that trying to look cool isn't as much fun as jumping and racing these things!!
Do not feel bad there is not any one even near my age group! Like I said I must be the only old fart on these forms! O well I have fun with my RC cars and trucks!
:D:D:D

Skullbasher 03-23-2005 12:34 AM

ORIGINAL: 46u

ORIGINAL: Lantern

Do not feel bad there is not any one even near my age group! Like I said I must be the only old fart on these forms! O well I have fun with my RC cars and trucks!
:D:D:D

I think I remember someone in their 60s a while back... not sure if they come on anymore though.

radmstng 03-23-2005 05:54 PM

I'm 22. Have been into nitro since I was 17, bought an RC10GT and it has been going strong for five years. Of course it's seen it's share of new parts. I've recently moved to an area with a local outdoor track and will be racing this summer for the first time. I've spent a lot of time on this forum using that cool little search button (which seems to be hard for some to find) and learned a lot about nitro ST's.

Jamez 03-23-2005 06:15 PM

damn i guess im the kid here im only 13 i might get a nitro st 15 from tower hobbies off ebay used with and o.s .12 engine in it with only one tank run through it. he only let it idle how does the truck sound? i to poor to afford anythin else

46u 03-23-2005 06:53 PM

ORIGINAL: radmstng

I'm 22. Have been into nitro since I was 17, bought an RC10GT and it has been going strong for five years. Of course it's seen it's share of new parts. I've recently moved to an area with a local outdoor track and will be racing this summer for the first time. I've spent a lot of time on this forum using that cool little search button (which seems to be hard for some to find) and learned a lot about nitro ST's.
I hope you have better luck with the search button as every time I use it, it gives me 200 hundred threads that has nothing to do with what I put in the search. Well may be not 200 hundred but it gets old looking a 50 or 100 threads that have nothing to do with what you put in the search. O well life goes on.
:D

dirtdogg 03-23-2005 08:22 PM

youre only old if you want to be old.You can still be young at heart.Im only 31 but i work construction and sometimes i feel 60.Just keep runnin nitro through your veins and you will be young forever.

GT-Power 03-23-2005 10:44 PM

a local racer here is 72 years old and still whips his car just as good as me![X(] im jealous cause hes loaded and he has a practice at his house and gets to drive almost everday!!!![:'(]

Goaferboy 03-28-2005 05:16 PM

im 19 and iv been running nitro for about 3 weeks and only got the car running about a week ago. it doesnt really matter what age you are cos once your talking to someone about a common interest ages go out of the window. i ofund that out when i started working and the common interest was tattoos. i ended up talking to people up to the age of 50 as if they were a friend from school.

xdirtydeedsx 03-28-2005 08:04 PM

34 here. started rc racing with a associated rc-10 electric buggy when they first came out. tamiya was real big then.remember the grasshopper?? man those were the days huh?

doogie494 03-28-2005 08:06 PM

29. just bought my fist but by no means last nitro. these things f*#kin rock

BOWTIE1 03-28-2005 08:19 PM

33 here being in r/c's for 15 yrs and got a mbx-5 p5 and xxx-nt with modded os .18

CR500rider 03-28-2005 09:17 PM

im 29 and live here in the Evergreen State. been in the "real" rc car hobby for about 15 years off and on. my first real rc car was kyosho rocky. ive had soo many rc cars that i would have to actually write them down on paper to remember them lol i will try to rattle them off though in order: kyosho rocky, tamiya lunchbox, some sort of tamiya 4wd electrick buggy, an original kyosho ultima, 2 associated rc10t's, a losi GTX gas stadium truck, losi xxt cr, 2 t-maxxes (junk, never buying traxxas again), 2 yokomo yz-10s (1 of them new in the box), and as of right now i only have the stuff listed below in my signature space

NOIC 02-17-2008 09:39 PM

You're never too old for this hobby. I'm 60 and been running RC Buggies for 20 years.

XXT-CRer 02-17-2008 09:49 PM

Curios to see what age people are running RC cars and trucks? Seems I am uncommon as I am much older then most in this hobby. I am 50.

hey old man, you aint 50 no-mow. lol, im 42 now, looks like i was 39 when you started this thread.

ps. how in the heck did you find this NOIC?

powercrazy3 02-17-2008 09:57 PM

im 17 (18 next month) and i have a nitro sport
i was into rc's when i was 14 or 15 for about a year, got outta it and now im back into it and loving every minute of it.

46u 02-17-2008 10:18 PM

ORIGINAL: DRAKE-ULA

Curios to see what age people are running RC cars and trucks? Seems I am uncommon as I am much older then most in this hobby. I am 50.

hey old man, you aint 50 no-mow. lol, im 42 now, looks like i was 39 when you started this thread.

Yep you are correct as I am now 53 and soon will be 54 if I live that long. [X(]

NOIC 02-17-2008 10:51 PM

ORIGINAL: DRAKE-ULA

Yep you are correct as I am now 53 and soon will be 54 if I live that long. [X(]
Oddly enough I was searching for info on Spy-Cams in an RC Buggy and it popped up.

XXT-CRer 02-17-2008 10:59 PM

LOL 46U, if your racing rc cars you are a big kid at heart and should have 50 some odd years left.

firestormanation 02-17-2008 11:02 PM

I guess I am one of the youngest... I'm 14 and have been in RC since I was 13. I actually got into this through school (wierd huh?) when a new math teacher came into our school and started a new elective class and I joined. Me and a group of about 10 people built RC18bs. It was two to one kit so me and my friend built one together. We used to clear the tables out of the cafeteria and set up cones and race. It was sooooooooooooo fun because of the competition and since we were all noobs to REAL rcs we all thought that the cars were super fast. I am really glad that teacher came or else I wouldn't be here. After a semester of that class was over I started researching on the internet about all these cars and decided I was going to work hard, get some money and buy myself a nitro vehicle. I spent most of the summer working and researching all of these threads before I was even a member and was torn between what car to get. One day my family and I went to California to visit family and we went to a hobbyshop I got my Firestorm and it all turned out perfect. Anyway sorry for the long post but I just thought I should share.:D

XXT-CRer 02-17-2008 11:03 PM

hey 46, you wouldnt be uncommon at my track. in fact there would be a couple guys in their 70s that would blow your mind they are so fast. most would be younger, not by that much, but to tell you the truth, if your gonna get beat by someone at my track, there is a very good chance its gonna be an older feller.