RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Nitro Stadium Trucks (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-nitro-stadium-trucks-243/)
-   -   how to start (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-nitro-stadium-trucks-243/4826950-how-start.html)

fast runner 34 10-04-2006 10:13 AM

how to start

how do you start a nitro vehicle?

Evader ---> MGT 10-04-2006 10:23 AM

RE: how to start

PUt the glow ignitor on the glow plug by normally pushing it on and turning it a little, then pull the pull start w/ quick, short pulls. Make sure the radio and reciever are on though.

46u 10-04-2006 10:35 AM

There is a little more to it like you have to prime it and all so depends on what type of a starting system you have, Roto Starter, starter box, EZ start, pull start and then there are a few more like Tiger start but that pretty much covers most if not all of the starters. It is not hard.

46u 10-04-2006 10:36 AM

Just notice you live about 100 miles form where I do. Get a truck and come race with us here in Macon.

chipbandit 10-07-2006 03:32 PM

HEY where is the track in macon you can email me at david at N1IB dot com

davenraithatha 10-08-2006 03:26 AM

Hey, dont forget to put fuel in it! :D

Bombers_410 10-08-2006 12:29 PM

For some cars, the fuel tank doesnt have a primer button. So after you put the glow plug in, you blow in the exaust pipe and you can see the fuel going to the engine. to choke the engine, while starting, pinch the fuel line while pulling the cord or cranking the engine

Tim0 10-25-2006 08:36 PM

What if when you pull it there is no resistance sometimes and other times there is? Is that normal?

Nitronutt 10-26-2006 07:34 AM

ORIGINAL: Bombers_410

...to choke the engine, while starting, pinch the fuel line while pulling the cord or cranking the engine
What are you talking about? That doesn't choke anything. That starves the engine of fuel (cuts off the fuel supply). Choking an engine makes the mixture very rich, not lean (like pinching the supply line).

C'mon Bombers, don't give a noob bad advice.

Nitronutt 10-26-2006 07:38 AM

ORIGINAL: Tim0

What if when you pull it there is no resistance sometimes and other times there is? Is that normal?
There should always be some resistance when the piston gets close to the top of its stroke. As it passes the top of its stroke, you should hear/feel the pop of the compression releasing. If the engine is not currently overheated, is really difficult to tune (and overheats really frequently - but has no air leaks) and you have no resistance (But the piston is going up and down while you pull), it is probably time for a rebuild (new piston and sleeve).

squeaky penguin 10-26-2006 11:22 AM

I think your one-way bearing is shot.

Also, Fast runner Please search before starting a fourm, their are many guides on how to start a nitro engine.

**MilkMachine** 10-26-2006 12:14 PM

ORIGINAL: squeaky penguin

I think your one-way bearing is shot.

Also, Fast runner Please search before starting a fourm, their are many guides on how to start a nitro engine.

That is exactly what i was thinking, Spray some carb cleaner on that bearing, that usualy works for a while, then buy a new one.

Have fun!

Tim0 10-26-2006 02:56 PM

Well for some reason I tried starting it today and now it always has resistance, I'll still use the carb spray though. But I still couldn't get it started any suggestions? If it matters at all the battery for the car was very low.

RCtruckRacer 10-26-2006 03:45 PM

Have you checked to make sure the glow plug is good and the ignitor is fully charged?

DavidKirkbride 10-26-2006 03:51 PM

How to Start a Nitro Powered Engine

There are three ways on how to start a nitro powered engine

pull start - simple pull cord attached to the engine casing.

roto start - a special backplate gearbox is installed in place of the pull starter unit. A handheld cordless drill with an extension on it fits onto the backplate and spins the engine.

starter box - has a spinning gear sticking out of the top of the box that spins the spur gear of the car when it's pushed down on top of the box. This can occur because there is an opening in the chassis allowing the car's spur gear to make contact with the starter box gear.

Steps

Step 1. Charge Glow Ignitor

The nitro engine requires a glow ignitor to light the glow plug when starting the engine. The ignitor takes approximately 12 hours to fully charge. You should always make sure the ignitor is fully charged when starting your engine.

Step 2. Install 12 AA Batteries

The transmitter and receiver pack both need to have batteries installed into them before doing anything else to the car, eight batteries in the transmitter and four batteries in the car. If you start the car before installing the batteries, it may run away from you. You may use NiMh or NiCd in addition to alkaline batteries. Be sure to completely charge rechargeable batteries before installing.

Step 3. Check your Fuel

Make sure you are using proper high quality fuel with the correct nitro percentage (20-30% Nitro). Fuel that is left in an open bottle will go bad quickly. Always keep fuel in an airtight container.

Step 4. Install your Air Filter

Some models may already have the air filter installed. If yours has not, find it in the box and install it onto the carburetor. It comes with a zip tie to use to secure it to the engine

Step 5. Standing your Antenna Up

Insert the antenna wire through the antenna mount, through the antenna tube, then insert into tube mount. The antenna wire may be longer then the tubes, if so, DO NOT cut the wire. Let excess wire hang freely

Step 6. Turning on your Transmitter

ALWAYS turn on the transmitter first, followed by the receiver. Never turn off the transmitter or the reciever while the engine is running. Always turn off engine first then the receiver, followed by the radio

Remember… You should always turn the transmitter on first and turn it off last.

Step 7. Check for Proper Operation of Servos

With the transmitter and receiver all turned on (engine not running), make sure your steering, throttle and forward/reverse servos are working correctly. Make sure when you turn the wheel on the transmitter left the wheels turn left, and then check the right side. When you pull the throttle trigger the carburetor should open, when you push the trigger back the brakes should be applied. If your servos are moving / responding slowly, you need to check for weak batteries.

Step 8. Checking the Transmitters Range

Before driving your car, test the range of your radio system. Walk away from the car to equal the furthest distance you plan to drive your car. Make sure all the servos operate correctly. Do not operate the car if you notice any transmitter problems.

Step 9. Filling the Fuel Tank Up with Fuel

Using your fuel bottle, squeeze the bottle and insert it into your container of fuel, Let go of it and the suction will suck the fuel into your fuel bottle. Next lift the cap on the tank and fill of up with fuel.

Step 10. Prime the Engine with Fuel

To prime the fuel system, put your finger over the exhaust outlet on the exhaust pipe. Pull the pull cord a few times and watch for the fuel to fill the fuel line. Stop once the fuel reaches the carburetor. * If you notice the fuel line is not priming, you may need to open the carburetor to allow the fuel to flow through.

Step 11. Starting the Engine

Do not start the engine until you have read and understood all the directions. By starting the engine you have indicated that you have checked the transmitter and servos etc. for proper operation. With transmitter and receiver all turned on, attach your fully charged glow ignitor onto the glow plug. With one hand holding the glow heater, use your other hand to give the pull starter quick short pulls. (Pulling the pull start cord too far will brake the spring inside and void the warranty) The engine will start much easier if you hold ¼ throttle on the transmitter.

Step 12. Keeps the Engine Running

A new engine may not idle smoothly until it’s correctly broken in (Break-in procedures found in step 14). Use the transmitter to keep the engine reved up just enough to keep it running. If the engine stalls you may need to raise the idle slightly.

Step 13. Proper engine break-in is very important to achieve the highest possible performance and reliability

Allow yourself some time to properly break-in the engine. This is one of the most important steps to follow so take your time. Do not run the engine at high RPMs until it is completely broken in. It is usual for the engine to stall, run inconsistently, and even foul glow plugs during the first couple of tanks. If this is happening to yours, don’t worry about it too much. It is a normal step in running any nitro powered R/C car. All of this will go-away after your engine is broken in.

Step 14. Break-in Procedures

To begin break in procedures for your new engine, simply idle 3 tanks of fuel. Allow the engine to cool down completely between tanks. On the 4th and 5th tank start driving the car around slowly. On the 6th tank start leaning it out and making final tuning adjustments.

Break in:

Top: 3 1/2 turns out

Bottom: 4 turns in from FLUSH

After Break in:

Top: 3 turns out

Bottom: 4 1/2 turns in from FLUSH

* These settings are approximate due to the differences in climate, fuel nitro %, and fuel oil %.

Step 15. Running the First Tanks in the Car

By now you should have fully broken in your engine. Hopefully you took your time and broke the engine in correctly. When driving the car drive it on flat smooth surface like the street first. Make sure that your steering trim is adjusted correctly and that the car tracks straight. There is also a dual rate adjustment for the steering. This will adjust how much steering throw you have. (How much the wheels actually turn)

Step 16. Engine Tuning (adjusting the high-end needle)

Now your car and engine should be up and running well. The overall performance of the engine is determined by how lean you run the engine. The “leaner” the engine, the faster it will go, and the hotter it will run. You want to find the point where it’s running very well with lots of power, but not running too hot. If you don’t see a light stream of blue smoke from the exhaust it may be to lean. You then need to richen up the top end. (Screw with brass sleeve around it) All of the engine adjustments listed above are not exact because of variations in type of fuel, brand, %nitro, humidity, elevation, etc.

Engine life varies on the operating temperature. Preferred engine temperature is around 220-240’F.

Step 17. Fine Tuning low-speed Mixture and Idle screw.

The low-end needle should be close to correct setting at 1 ½ turns in from flush. The best way to check the bottom end adjustment is by listening to the way the engine idles. If the engine idle rises the bottom end is lean, if the engine idle drops its too rich. When making any needle adjustments make sure you do it in small adjustments.

Step 18. Installing the Body Clips

Align the holes in the body with the body mounts. Then install the pins through the holes in the mounts. You may adjust the height of the body by lowering body clips.

Step 19. This is the most important step of all

Drive your new nitro powered RC car! Have fun and drive safely. Show your model the same respect as you would driving your full size vehicle.

Steps to follow after operating.

Step 1. Burn all the fuel out of the engine by keep the engine running until the engine will not start.

Step 2. Take the glow plug out and put a few drops of after run oil into the engine. After run oil is available at most hobby shops.

Precautions that Must be Taken

· Because there are electrical components on the car it should not be run through water, wet grass, mud or anything else that may get water inside the electronics.

· Avoid leaving the glow heater on the glow plug any longer then needed to start. The heater will burn the glow plug out if left on too long.

· Do not drive the car when your radio is showing low battery voltage.

· Do not drive your car at night, on public streets, or in large crowds.

· Do not drive if the servos are slow or unresponsive, this usually means your batteries are low, replace with new

· Always use common sense when driving your rc car. Abusive driving will only result in poor performance and many broken parts.

· User accepts full responsibility for the use of this product.

Most common mistakes made by beginners:

1. Most beginners pull the pull starts out too far and bend the spring. Pull the cord no more then 8 inches out. If you get to the end of the cord you will bend the spring and it will not recoil correctly.

2. Avoid pulling the pull starter if you engine is flooded. You know your engine is flooded when the cord becomes very difficult to pull. To get excess fuel out of the engine simply remove the glow plug and turn the engine upside down. Give the pull starter a couple of pulls and excess fuel will come out.

3. If you leave your glow heater on you glow plug when you not trying to start it the glow plug will burn out very quickly. Only put the heater on when you’re ready to start the engine.

4. Make sure you unbundled the antenna wire and stand it up using the supplied antenna straw.

General information

High-end Mixture Controls the fuel mixture at high R.P.Ms

Low-End Mixture Controls the fuel mixture at low R.P.M.s

Lean - This term is used to describe the amount of fuel entering the carburetor. Lean means less fuel. Turn carburetor needles clockwise for a leaner setting. Running too lean will damage your engine.

Rich Setting - This term is used to describe the amount of fuel entering the carburetor. Rich means more fuel. Turn the carburetor needles counter-clockwise for a richer setting.

Glow plugs - nitro engines come standard with a glow plug. You may also use most standard or short glow plugs. Always make sure you are using the copper washer that is supplied with each glow plug.

Air Filter - The air filter is very important to an engines life. Keeping it clean and oiled will increase performance and engine life.

Pull Starter - When removing the pull starter be careful with the spool, which is spring loaded. Use a small screwdriver to gently push the spool off the output shaft.

doyab 10-26-2006 07:21 PM

do you have the manual for the car? i suggest reading it, or you could download it from the manifacture's (-sp?) website

Tim0 10-26-2006 09:12 PM

I read it but it ddin't help, I eventually just kept at it and got it to start but its too bad I don't have the charger for the car battery so I can drive it[>:] Doe anyone know where to find a charger for a NiMH 1200 mah HPI battery for cheap?

-Brian 10-31-2006 09:35 PM

Another thing...MAKE SURE THE HEAD IS TIGHT!!...for hours i tried starting my car...pull pull pull, no luck..noticed the head was loose, tightened it, BAM first pull started right up...lol i felt really dumb after that

RogerRamjet 02-10-2007 07:36 AM

DavidKirkbride:

The next time you copy and paste from my website, how about providing a reference source?

[link=http://www.rc-hobby-universe.com/how-to-start-a-nitro-powered-engine.html]How To Start A Nitro Powered Engine[/link]

Thanks!

sk8r6_9 02-11-2007 10:46 AM

another thing make sure your glow plug isnt flood by that un do glow plug +the washer and turn car upside down and pull 20 times then reinstall everythign it should fire right up

i need help with my rc10GT2 i was woondering if u guys could tell me if a rc10GT Starter box will fir my rc20GT2

LosParaZitos 10-02-2009 11:09 AM

ok now got a problem here i have a tornado S30 en i got the engine to start a few times but i dunno why since yesterday i cant keep it running when it starts it idles good and as soon as i take the glow plug igniter off the engine stalls what could cause this ??
please help fast i wanna finish the engine break in today to be able to play with my toy tomorrow :D

Snook Man 10-02-2009 11:23 AM

Install a new glow plug.</p>

LosParaZitos 10-02-2009 01:48 PM

yeah did that before finally got it to start but the fing cheap arse thing from redcat racing the tornado S30 front dog bone keeps coming out of its sleeve what can i do to fix that the god damnit car is brand new didnt finished engine break in yet crap

Edit: ok found the problem it was missing a little rubber o ring in one of the front sleeves for the front dog bone finally up n running thx all :D

Chris_RC 10-03-2009 12:01 AM

ORIGINAL: LosParaZitos

yeah did that before finally got it to start but the fing cheap arse thing from redcat racing the tornado S30 front dog bone keeps coming out of its sleeve what can i do to fix that the god damnit car is brand new didnt finished engine break in yet crap

Edit: ok found the problem it was missing a little rubber o ring in one of the front sleeves for the front dog bone finally up n running thx all :D

You bought a cheap car, and you received a cheap car.

LosParaZitos 10-03-2009 08:30 AM

yeah but hey i aint gonna buy the 600$ Rc as a first RC cause if i dont like that hobby it would be sad to throw 600$ away now i only paid like 250
$ for the tornado s30 so its cheap but i didn't thought it would be cheap to the point it would be missing some parts :P