RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Nitro Stadium Trucks (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-nitro-stadium-trucks-243/)
-   -   OFFICIAL CUSTOM NITRO RUSTLER THREAD (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-nitro-stadium-trucks-243/4936107-official-custom-nitro-rustler-thread.html)

toxic 2U 10-30-2006 11:06 PM

OFFICIAL CUSTOM NITRO RUSTLER THREAD

1 Attachment(s)
:D
Hello all,
This thread is for those of you that have or are in the process of building a custom Rustler. Post your pics and share ideas and info on what you know and what you've done to or are doing to build up your custom Rusty.

Long live the Rustler [sm=punching.gif]

tristanmorrow 10-30-2006 11:16 PM

RE: OFFICIAL CUSTOM NITRO RUSTLER THREAD

I'm in the process and will be posting up some pics shortly. but i have a question how do i get a different body on my rustler other than the ones made for rustler?

toxic 2U 10-30-2006 11:39 PM

what type or brand body are you wanting to use?

tristanmorrow 10-31-2006 12:26 AM

anything that will work basically the only ones made for the rustler look bad. Im thinking this one here. [link=http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200040119915&fromMakeT rack=true]Pro-Line 05' Chevy Silverado[/link]
how could i make this work?

toxic 2U 10-31-2006 12:38 AM

I've seen Jato bodys on Rusty's before and that body is made to fit the Jato so I see no reason it would not fit. I have been thinking I would order up that same body and paint it up like Dale Jr.'s race car because he's my favorite nascar driver.

toxic 2U 10-31-2006 12:44 AM

The pro-line Crowd pleaser body is the one I have on in the pic a the start of the thread and it fits like a glove and I think they look pertty good too.

AdioKIP 10-31-2006 09:01 AM

I'm in the process of building my rustler up. It actually started as a nitro sport but I'm converting it over to a rustler. I've already put the 3.3 engine in and it ran great until I started stripping differential output yokes and the steel ones are on back order, first the site was saying end of october, now there saying mid november :-(

I've ordered alot more parts, So far I've ordered:

Aluminum Bottom Chasis
Aluminum Top Plate
Aluminum front and rear shock towers
Aluminum Roll Bar
Traxxas 3.3 engine
Traxxas Jato rims with some street tires (forgot what brand)
Fail Safe
Hump Pack
Throttle return spring
Futaba radio system
Jato wheelie bar (took some modifying).

I'm still waiting on alot of the parts to come in but hopefully they will all be here by the end of the week. After I get the conversion done and get everything up and running I plan on getting a descent pipe for it to help bring the power of the 3.3 out. I'll have some pics up soon. Any other suggestions for getting the most out of my rustler/sport?

toxic 2U 10-31-2006 07:22 PM

How well dose the 3.3 fit the rusty? Do ya need a differnt motor mount ? and do ya have to do a bunch of mods to get it to fit? My Rusty is all aluminum now and a bit on the heavy side a 3.3 would give it abit more kick :)

toxic 2U 10-31-2006 07:31 PM

I just found some killer cool shocks but they are for the Jato [:o] Do any
of you guys know if Jato shocks fit on Rusty's ? http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...6&I=LXLUB3&P=K

chrobar 10-31-2006 10:17 PM

Hay Adio, whered you get the aluminum chassis for the sport, i think that i'll want to get thase sooner or later for my sport, and along with toxic, did the 3.3 fit in the sport just fine or did you need to get something? Would the pro .15 to 2.5r conversion set work for the 3.3?

AdioKIP 11-01-2006 12:00 PM

The 3.3 is a direct fit for the 2.5 so in order to get the 3.3 into the sport I used the Traxxas 2.5 conversion kit. This gave me the necessary motor mounts and throttle linkage for everything to work. Took me awhile to do the conversion but that was simply because this is my first nitro truck, and I bought it used so had no experience at all with nitro. (I miss the days when evertyhing came as kits, my first truck was a traxxas rustler kit 10 years ago, because i had to put it together from a kit I knew the truck inside and out. In the last 10 years things flip flopped from 90% kits 10%rtr to 90%rtr and 10% kits). Now that I've worked on my truck more I can tear it apart and rebuild it in no time. Still getting use to getting the engine tuned properly though.

As far as the aluminum parts, I got the rustler blue aluminum chasis at my LHS, they happened to have one on clearance for like $15 bucks. The top plate, front shock tower, rear shock tower, and roll bar I got from newera. I had looked around and seen a few other places to order from, including some on ebay for cheaper but decided to go ahead and try the newera parts even though I've heard some mixed reviews.

The rest of my parts should be in this week. Once I get everything assembled and running I'll snap some pics and let everyone know how it performs.

scdrj 11-01-2006 11:13 PM

Is this the official page[sm=75_75.gif] I wonder how many more pages there are like this one[sm=lol.gif]

Anyway, I posted this pic in a thread the other day. It is a little over two years old. I ran a OS 18 TZ and the pictured modified Sirio 18. Both out ran two guys we run with who have 3.3s in their rustlers. All of these motors break lots of parts! Want to go faster? Make it as light as you can afford. Then gear it to the moon. Ours is geared 24/64.

http://image2.rcuniverse.com/forum/u...22/Lj21680.jpg

toxic 2U 11-02-2006 01:32 AM

It is not the official nitro Rustler thread . This is a thread for CUSTOM Rustlers not for any thing but CUSTOM Rustys built by or in the process of being built by you the readers of these fourms. I started it for those of us that love the Rustler and love to tweak on their Rusty's to make them special from the guys next door. I'm not saying the Rustler is the best ST out there it's just a thread for those that love their Rusty's and the hobby of RC. So enjoy and share :D

AdioKIP 11-02-2006 11:26 AM

Anyone know of where I can get some type of instructions for the conversion of my sport to a rustler. The rest of my parts are arriving today but I realized that all I have to go by for the conversion is the blown up parts diagram. I know the rear end of the truck wont change much, its just the front end and steering assembly but I dont have to much to go by as far as installing the new parts for the conversion.... Any suggestions?

rc10t3241 12-05-2006 10:14 AM

i just recently made a homemade intake system for my rusty fairly easy u should do it to see it go to my gallery

toxic 2U 12-27-2006 04:49 PM

Do any of you guys know of any good piggy back shocks that work for the Rustlers ?

dude7422 12-27-2006 08:27 PM

question for you why do you want piggy back shocks the shock rod displacement of oil is not big enough to worry about on those small shocks or you just want them for sweetness factor [sm=wink_smile.gif]

toxic 2U 12-27-2006 08:46 PM

Mostly just for the bling thing, just to be differnt and give off the custom look.[sm=thumbup.gif][sm=wink_smile.gif]

j1nx123 12-27-2006 08:56 PM

hey i want to put the piggybacks on too... for the bling factor. its still a work in progress. i bought it used adn had to replace the servos and the receiver. so now i can havev fun with it. any suggestions?

toxic 2U 12-27-2006 09:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I've looked at the Integy ones for the Jato and was wondering about them as well . I know they are shorter then stock Rusty shocks but thats ok by me cuz I want them for road running and they would lower the whole ride but I can't have it so low it rubs it's belly all the time . So I don't know what to do untill someone that has tryed it says yes or no that it will work.

chrobar 12-27-2006 10:35 PM

"Anyway, I posted this pic in a thread the other day. It is a little over two years old. I ran a OS 18 TZ and the pictured modified Sirio 18. Both out ran two guys we run with who have 3.3s in their rustlers. All of these motors break lots of parts! Want to go faster? Make it as light as you can afford. Then gear it to the moon. Ours is geared 24/64." As quoted by scdrj

Hey scdrj, how did that O.S. preform in your rustler, I'm gonna get a new engine for my Nitro Sport and I wanted to know how hard it was to put in because I'm debating between that engine, the CV-RX, or a traxxas 3.3. Thanks
chrobar

scdrj 12-28-2006 04:07 AM

The TZ and modified Sirio make more power than the 3.3. They made lots of nasty power! As a matter of fact, I still have the Sirio. I would let it go for a song. The Sirio was easy to install. It drops right in. I had to make my own header, but they make ones now that would fit.

j1nx123 01-05-2007 07:29 PM

I ordered the integy piggybacks. ill let the world know if it works and ill post pics. cross you fingers and give me luck. i am hoping for a direct fit... yeah right

RcRacer37E 01-06-2007 08:09 PM

My brother has a rustler, we just order a dirt oval conersion kit for it. As it sits now, it has a jato crowd pleazer body and my OS .12 tz eb mod engine in it. The tranny had to be ugraded to handle the torque.
With the dirt conversion, its will have a lower center of gravity, smaller shocks all around but still keeping the .12tz. Also running a Mc Allister dirt body, should be done by friday, parts wont be in till tuesday perhaps wednesday.
I'll post pics once its done, but first I have to finish mine, xxnt conversion with a RB v12, its pretty friggen fast too.

j1nx123 01-12-2007 05:21 PM

does anyone know where i can get an aluminum rear bumper for a 2.5 nitro rustler? i have found all the other aluminum in the world, but of all things i cant find that.