RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Nitro Stadium Trucks (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-nitro-stadium-trucks-243/)
-   -   -=OFFICIAL HPI FIRESTORM THREAD=- (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-nitro-stadium-trucks-243/5074112-%3Dofficial-hpi-firestorm-thread%3D.html)

Road Warrior 01-14-2010 11:03 AM

RE: -=OFFICIAL HPI FIRESTORM THREAD=-

Roost try getting a new hot glow plug and wrap your head in aluminum foil and put a rubber band around it at the top.

Blueroost40 01-14-2010 03:10 PM

thanks for the answer, ill definitely try it. Could you explain what that accomplishes and what the problem is?

embesh 01-14-2010 05:25 PM

Keeps the heat in. You could also try holding the throttle in a little while you start it so it fires up with some rpms and you could keep them up.

manuel frias 01-14-2010 07:55 PM

i am looking at buying the integy revo steel 34 tooth spur gear will this fit the car with the stock clutch bell? also do you think this gearing is to high for the o.s 21 vg. its a huge change from a size 50 tooth spur gear.

nitro-rob 01-14-2010 09:23 PM

Hi Blueroost, we aren't far apart. Its pretty cold right now, be careful driving your storm, they don't run very well in this weather. I am surprised your fuel isn't turning to gel. The problem with cold weather driving is that the air is dense so it has to run much richer to compensate. The engine cools much more than normal and doesn't get up to temperature and the parts don't expand properly so you end up wearing the engine in with the tighter tolerances. When running in warm weather the engine temperatures will be much higher and expand more and the sleeve and piston, which were worn in at tighter tolerances are now looser.

Wrapping the head will help a lot. Just make sure you are well tuned.

Welcome to the forum.

Road Warrior 01-15-2010 04:10 PM

Manuel i have never seen the os 21 vg run but the 34 tooth gear will be too much for it unless you use a set of street tires on the back. Stock gearing is 11.17 and using the 34t you will have a final that is almost half of that. Unless it is a highly modified motor the highest gearing you can pull is 36/20. With that gearing you will be hitting speeds that you are not used to and be breaking stuff till u get used to it or drop it to the ground. Brake upgrades will also be a must. Aluminum brake arm, jato cf disk, and a good servo for added tension. Not sure about anybody else but after half tank i would have brake failure.

nitro-rob 01-15-2010 04:38 PM

I use an os 21 vg with 35/18 gearing and find it very strong. Its a very strong mid range motor that is soft at the very bottom end - when the engine comes on it can be a handful with the gearing I run.

embesh 01-17-2010 02:15 AM

ORIGINAL: nitro-rob

Definitely on. Take the throttle servo horn off, turn the electronics on. Set the trim to the middle and attach the servo horn. The arm that pulls the throttle on the carb should be parallel to the length of the chassis. In this position the carb and brake need to be adjusted on their respective 'rods or wires' or whatever they are called accordingly. The brake should be adjusted to be almost engagine. Tighten the bolts on the brake pressure pads evenly and adjust where the 'rod' attaches to the brake arm on the transmission. You should be able to minimize the servo travel to begin to engage the brakes. The carburetor 'rod' can be adjusted by moving the metal collar that holds the tension spring in place.

I hope this helps, its hard to describe. Look at step 5, page 10 in the manual and page 23

The servo saver nut is part number 86905 on page 37
Everything came out good. the problem was the d r trim. Stupid me.

Blueroost40 01-17-2010 03:39 PM

Everytime i start my firestorm it runs for 5-10 seconds and then cuts out. Ive wrapped the head in tin foil and used a rubber band to keep it on. I turned the idle knob on the controller all the way up. My glow plug is glowing fine and my igniter is charged. Nothing is working. PLEASE PLEASE PELASE help me

Road Warrior 01-17-2010 04:27 PM

You dont have to have the idle all the way up. Just a little works. Try turning the needle settings back to stock since nobody can tell where they at by your description and its cold so it should be richer anyways. It should fire. If not there is a problem like a air leak. When u start it keep the car and controler off and manualy move the throttle just a little bit out till it runs

controlliner 01-17-2010 04:47 PM

Stock setting High speed needle 4 turns out from closed, Idle needle flush with carb. Try a new plug too. I've run my Firestorm here in Edmonton in -40 and I didn't have to do much different from summer other than richening the HSN by about 1/2 turn

Blueroost40 01-17-2010 06:53 PM

controlliner what do you mean by "idle needle flush with carb?"and 4 turn out from cold is 4 turns out from completely turned in?

bushhiker 01-18-2010 08:31 AM

I just completely disassembled my storm do a few things: clean out all the sand,tighten the steering servo, and re-oil the diff.
What size shims should i use in the diff? and where do i get them?

thanks!!:)

controlliner 01-18-2010 11:36 AM

ORIGINAL: Blueroost40

controlliner what do you mean by ''idle needle flush with carb?''and 4 turn out from cold is 4 turns out from completely turned in?
The idle needle screwdriver slot outer face should be flush with the outer brass ring on the carb body

nitro-rob 01-18-2010 02:33 PM

The only place I could get shims was in a package of new differential gears.

Goldski 2 01-18-2010 11:52 PM

My firestorm ran great in -27 celcius, (changing the subject)

ro.sniper 01-19-2010 08:55 AM

My firestorm also runs allright in cold weather...

Now for a subject change... I boiled my tires off, but have some reminants of rubber on the rim. Do i boil the rim some more to get the rest of the rubber off, or try to scrap it off somehow?

Cheers,

Raz

Goldski 2 01-19-2010 12:57 PM

I would get some superglue debonder and put it on and then just try to scrape the pieces off

ro.sniper 01-19-2010 02:50 PM

Would this be acetone or a special product?

Cheers!

embesh 01-19-2010 04:21 PM

What does it mean when youve been running good and in between tanks it takes one pull to start but as soon as you give it a lil throttle it stalls. This is when I have to hold the throttle back while I start it to rev it up to get it going. Is it a sign of being off on the slow speed needle. when it is flush is that a safe setting?

bushhiker 01-19-2010 06:35 PM

Do i just put two instead of one on each side of the gears

ORIGINAL: nitro-rob

The only place I could get shims was in a package of new differential gears.

nitro-rob 01-19-2010 07:02 PM

The number of shims is not really 'set', you just need to try adding and see how it goes together. I can't remember what I added but I needed two sets of what came in the diff gear package from HPI. There are two sizes of shims, smaller ones for the removable gears and larger ones to go behind the gears on the output shafts. I know I put at least one on each gear and maybe two on the removable gears.

The best way to get glue off tires is in an oven below 170 F. Just put them in there for 10-15 minutes and the pieces should pull off otherwise put it in a little longer and try again.

I bought an RPM bumper for the losi T4/B4 for my storm today. Its a direct fit and much better protection than the stock one.

Goldski 2 01-20-2010 03:32 PM

not sure but i got some from my hobby shop for like 6$

Goldski 2 01-20-2010 03:36 PM

Flush means base settings so thats safe, and i think the reason it stalls when u give it gas tooquick is because you have to give the engine enough time to push the fuel from the tank into the carb cause when it runs out of gas the fuel line is empty so when u give it to much throdle then not enough gas to be burned so it stalls (its happened to me before)

bushhiker 01-20-2010 05:21 PM

Does any one know if this dual brake system will fit the storm?
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...LXSGF1&P=7