RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Nitro Stadium Trucks (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-nitro-stadium-trucks-243/)
-   -   -=OFFICIAL HPI FIRESTORM THREAD=- (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-nitro-stadium-trucks-243/5074112-%3Dofficial-hpi-firestorm-thread%3D.html)

NitroNate 01-01-2008 06:58 PM

RE: -=OFFICIAL HPI FIRESTORM THREAD=-

It could have been the drivers fault not the firestorm.I would take your gt2 on in a race and I bet I could win,because the firestorm's top speed is set at 38mph where as the gt2 is set at 35mph.Also the firestorm has a .18 engine and the gt2 has a .15.
Did you find the gt2 thread yet?:eek:

sprtwin1 01-01-2008 08:00 PM

I would like to purchase a set of treadless (worn out) tires on rims for the firestorm. I only need two rims and tires, not all four. I am working on a project and need a set. Please pm or email me if you would like to sell.

Thanks,
Dan

droidswarm 01-02-2008 04:36 AM

Hey,
Took the firestorm out for a nice long run over christmas and as ive changed fuel (to Byron) I thought I better re-tune.

Took the needles back to stock setting and re-tuned to what I thought was a good tune and checked the temps - 220deg - All Ok. Then I bashed for a while and re-checked (inc alot of WOT) - 280Deg!. So I richened it a bit ran it a while and re-checked - 180deg. This continued for the rest of the afternoon.

Is this wide ranging temperature change symptomatic of a problem? Is it cos Im not tuning properly?

What sort of runs should I do prior to checking the temp? WOT? 1/2 Throttle?

Never been happy with the tune on the Firestorm, never seems to hold steady for me.

Cheers,

A

danielct 01-02-2008 03:26 PM

Hi ya. I have a whole set of tyres and rims from the Firestorm that I would gladly give to you but, I unfortunatly live in South Africa. Sorry for that. If I am correct, are you trying to make a drag racer out of your firestorm? I changed the rear tyres to the proline dirt hawgs. They work great on gravel, not so great in the grass, briliant on road. Anyway let me know I am always kean on new idea's and to see what the rest of the guy's are up to. The sport not that big down here in Cape Town yet.

NTRC 01-03-2008 04:58 PM

I got my firestorm back up and running, and when going to start it after refueling, the pullstarter did not want to retract. please help! I dont know what to do

thanks

experimental_pilot 01-03-2008 05:56 PM

ORIGINAL: NTRC

I got my firestorm back up and running, and when going to start it after refueling, the pullstarter did not want to retract. please help! I dont know what to do

thanks
Well, it may have cooled down enough to tighten up the engine again and make the pullstart hard to pull.
Take the glow plug out and test the pull start. If it still works you need to warm it up a bit.

NTRC 01-03-2008 06:07 PM

The starter pulls out fine, but the cord wont fully retract after pulling it out. It does sometimes, but often it just doesnt go back in...

NTRC 01-03-2008 06:42 PM

is it a problem with the spring in the pullstarter?

experimental_pilot 01-03-2008 06:46 PM

Well, did you take the Glow Plug Out and test it?
If the cord won't return with the glow plug out then you need to rebuild your pullstart or get a new one.

http://www.rc411.com/pages/howto.php?howto=29&page=2

NTRC 01-03-2008 06:57 PM

sweet
i fixed it

experimental_pilot 01-03-2008 07:12 PM

Great :D

droidswarm 01-04-2008 01:23 PM

ORIGINAL: droidswarm

Hey,
Took the firestorm out for a nice long run over christmas and as ive changed fuel (to Byron) I thought I better re-tune.

Took the needles back to stock setting and re-tuned to what I thought was a good tune and checked the temps - 220deg - All Ok. Then I bashed for a while and re-checked (inc alot of WOT) - 280Deg!. So I richened it a bit ran it a while and re-checked - 180deg. This continued for the rest of the afternoon.

Is this wide ranging temperature change symptomatic of a problem? Is it cos Im not tuning properly?

What sort of runs should I do prior to checking the temp? WOT? 1/2 Throttle?

Never been happy with the tune on the Firestorm, never seems to hold steady for me.

Cheers,

A
Anyone? Help please!

sprtwin1 01-04-2008 08:43 PM

To be extra safe, you need to make sure that the motor is running rich enough so that full throttle performance is noticeably a little inhibited. That will yield a safe and fun tune. It is how i run mine in the winter because it isn't worth the 10 - 15 minutes necessary to achieve an optimal performance tune when it is freezing out.

To achieve a safe performance tune, put both needles flush with their housings then run the car for a few minutes around to warm it up a little. Lean the top end needle out slowly (1/8) of a turn at a time. When the car's full throttle performance stops improving by leaning it, turn it back a 1/4 of a turn rich. That will result in a safe, yet very fast tune. This tune will also keep the motor under 250 degrees.

For truly optimal performance, you need to tune the low speed needle AFTER you have tuned the high speed needle according to the previous paragraph. The easiest method of tuning the low speed is the pinch test. The following is quoted from *********.org:

The pinch test.

Many racers find it difficult to properly tune the low speed needle. We've developed a method that makes it easy, even for beginners, to adjust the low speed needle to within 5% of peak performance and it's done right on the bench. We call it the pinch test and here's how it works.

Step 1. Start your engine and warm it up for about 30 seconds by revving the engine from idle to mid-throttle while holding the wheels off the ground.

Step 2. Allow the engine to idle for 10 seconds. If the low speed needle tuning is so far off that it won't idle, simply bump the idle position higher until the engine will reliably run at a higher idle.

Step 3. With the engine at idle, pinch and hold the fuel line near the carburetor, cutting off the fuel flow and carefully listen to the engine rpm.

If the low speed needle is set correctly, the engine should increase rpm only slightly and then die.

If the engine increases several hundred rpm before dying, then the low speed needle is too rich and needs to be turned in.

If the rpm doesn't increase at all and the engine simply dies, the low speed needle is set too lean and should be richened or turned out.

After doing this a few times you'll get the hang of it, and tuning the low speed needle will become easy. The only way to get that last 5% performance on the low speed tune is through careful track testing. By evaluating the engine as it accelerates from a dead stop or out of slow corners during actual race conditions is the only way to get those last few percent of power from your engine. Variables like the clutch setting, gearing, traction, atmospheric conditions and even the car's weight will have an effect on this last 5% of tuning performance, and the optimum setting can only be reached by careful on-track tuning.

Enjoy your firestorm.

NTRC 01-05-2008 12:09 PM

How do i prevent the carb from completely closing when i press the brake? its really annoying to not be able to use the brake without killing the engine.

motorhead91 01-05-2008 06:32 PM

turn the idle screw in, turn it the same direction you would to lean out the high or low speed needle

iowa10T 01-06-2008 04:19 PM

Does anyone know how to hook up a hump pack to a stock reciever. i tried doing this bypassing the on/off switch and the wires on the bateery melted. what am i doing wrong?

motorhead91 01-06-2008 04:26 PM

if you do that you need to unplug the battery when you are done

mncastro 01-07-2008 04:53 PM

Hey everyone. We'll it's been nine months since I bought my Firestorm (My first nitro R/C). It's the car that started it all because I now have 3 nitro's, and have a list of several more I want (actually, one's electric). I have to say the Firestorm is outstanding. Comparing it to my newer Team Losi Mega Baja which I've upgraded with a tuned pipe and aluminum clutch shoes, the Firestorm holds it's own quite well. Add on top of that the price and the Firestorm is a great car. I have a little more than four gallons through the Firestorm and it's running faster and better than ever. I always let the engine run out of fuel, always use after run oil, and always let the engine cool in bottom dead center.

Yes, I've broken parts, but I have on the others as well. It's what happens when you hit something going in excess of 30 MPH. The Firestorm is a great first nitro. With 2WD you will be forced into learning to be a better driver. It also makes maintenance faster and easier for a first timer, one unit...which is the transmission with the diff right in it, and no two speed to adjust / maintain. Maintenance in general on this car is easy.

The only thing I don't like about the Firestorm…the clutch, I hate it. Does any know if I can swap for the savage three shoe?

By the way I live next door to a Police station and I hit 40 MPH according to the Police radar. Granted, I leaned it more than I should have to hit that mark, but had to see that 40! With a normal tune I was at 37-38. This is also assuming the Police radars they put up are accurate. Oh…it probably goes without saying but I run the 21 tooth.

rsd4f 01-07-2008 08:11 PM

How can I increase my turning radius on my firestorm, seems that it takes up to much space to turn.

tse_adam 01-08-2008 04:07 AM

as far as i know you will need a better steering servo to improve turning, but i just left it as it is. My firestorm brakes so hard the whole car spins round so theres no need to drive round!

motorhead91 01-08-2008 07:42 AM

yea i think the servo is the culprit....it only has like 40-50 oz/in of torque

firestormanation 01-08-2008 09:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I thought I should post some pictures of my Firestorm that is somewhat "snow proof"[sm=idea.gif]. The blue baloon on the front shock tower helps keep the snow out of my car if you were curious.

firestormanation 01-08-2008 10:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I also double balooned my hump pack.:D

experimental_pilot 01-08-2008 10:13 PM

Did you waterproof the switch? What did you use?
Water in that is bad.

firestormanation 01-08-2008 10:15 PM

Oh, no I didn't. How can I do that? So far everything has been working fine but I don't want to take chances.[:@]