RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Nitro Stadium Trucks (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-nitro-stadium-trucks-243/)
-   -   -=OFFICIAL HPI FIRESTORM THREAD=- (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-nitro-stadium-trucks-243/5074112-%3Dofficial-hpi-firestorm-thread%3D.html)

billdo76 03-19-2007 05:20 PM

RE: -=OFFICIAL HPI FIRESTORM THREAD=-

if you want bodies for your Firestorm......

next time you go to your LHS look for a MT2 body. I recently bought a body for my MT2 (Silverado) and in the instruction sheet it had diagrams on how to make it fit the Firestorm. Last time I was in my LHS I looked and they had 2 of the exact same bodies but one had options for the Firestorm and the other did not, so make sure that you flip that white piece of paper over and look and see if it says anything about the mounting posts for the Firestorm.

djheptic 03-20-2007 12:19 PM

ORIGINAL: Oscardms

I took mine to a local track this weekend and I think it was a little too fast for me. I also noticed that when I would go WOT, it would steer to the right. How could I go about fixing this?
It could be your track rod ends / turnbuckles.

Drifter240 03-21-2007 08:10 AM

getting mine tomorrow, can't wait

buggymangp 03-21-2007 08:53 AM

hopefully i can get to run mine this weekend.
the weather broke and the snow is melting.
can`t wait until i can squeeze the trigger all the way.
quick question.
how much did you guys turn in the HSN i see the in manual
it says don`t go pass 3/4 turn in and did you have to play with the LSN???

0x001A4 03-27-2007 11:11 AM

ORIGINAL: buggymangp
how much did you guys turn in the HSN i see the in manual
it says don`t go pass 3/4 turn in and did you have to play with the LSN???
I was going to ask the exact same question.

sapper ion 03-27-2007 11:22 AM

mine 4 cycled for about a full turn, but then it came around. I think the manual is errored, cause a diff site said no more then 2.5 turns in. But i know i had to go a full turn in before it would stop 4 cyclin

sapper ion 03-27-2007 11:25 AM

also i havn't touched the low speed yet, allthough i am starting to notice it is shooting a lot of smoke when i punch it form dead stop, so I may try to lean it out a little bit

buggymangp 03-27-2007 07:48 PM

i ran 7 tanks thur it to date.
i turned in the HSN about an 1/8 of a turn by tank 5.
i tried turning in other 1/8 turn by tank 7 but it was bogging down.
so i turned it back 1/8 of a turn and its running great.
i wasn`t ready for the wheelie when i pulled the trigger and it went
turtle on me. i didn`t touch the LSN at all. its still pouring out alot of smoke
i`m going to leave the needles where they are for now and run more fuel thur it before
i try and lean out some more. but for the time being i`m happy with the power.

sapper ion 03-27-2007 08:10 PM

yea, yesterday i was running it around and the front end up came up which i was not ready for and it hit a building, which i ended up popping off the exhaust coupler. easy fix though

Drifter240 03-28-2007 03:14 PM

i ran mine at the track last night. I replaced the stock steering servo with a 590M, and I bought new wheels and Panther tires (GT2 wheels work just fine, just remove the hex and tighten them down on the pin) and when i went to install them i noticed i bought standard fronts. No prob, i thought, i'll just take off the hex and pin, hold the axel with pliars and put some borrowed GT2 bearings in the wheel and it would be all good. It ran great for about two laps, then my front wheel nut came off along with both bearings. I went to put the stock fronts on, and after a while i found the pins. I went to put them back in and noticed that the stock bearing that is usualy inside the hub had worked its way out and was covering the hole for the pin. Its really jammed on there. I paid my practice fee and left. it was a bad day, but the truck didn't seem to bad. I bought soft switch 2.0s for the rear and some kind of ribbed panthers on the front, and it was actualy understeering under power. That actualy says a lot, because the track is cold damp clay with a covering of dirt, and people really struggle to get grip. i will try to fill the diff, center the steering better, get some front wheels that work, and i'll test it out again tomorow.

0x001A4 03-28-2007 08:13 PM

how has everyone tuned their firestorm? I have mine set at factory carb settings, and I'm finding that its running pretty warm. I mean I just finished breaking it in today and I figured before I left the parking lot I would give it one more tank of fuel. So I was just zipping around with the body off doing some donuts. I revved it up pretty high a couple times and it reached about 212. The HPI manual says that 230 is a good temp to aim for when tuning it, but I havent even tuned it at all and its almost there. Its running really rich too because if I slow the idle speed down just before it stalls, I can let it idle for a couple seconds and I can hear that its starting to bog down and gonna stall. So when I hit the throttle I need to do it easily to clear out the fuel in there. But I'm almost afraid to lean out the HSN and overheat it. Plus I was running and today was pretty cool. Like 6 degrees, which I guess is near 40 for you guys in the states. I'm not sure if the temps outside really matter, but I would assume so..?

Anyways, any tips would be appreciated.

EDIT: Oh, and whats the best way to clean all the gunk around the glow plug out with?

sapper ion 03-28-2007 08:34 PM

i have been spraying nitro blaster in there, then holding it upside down and hitting it with a dust remover can. Seems to get a lot out that way

Oscardms 03-28-2007 08:42 PM

As far as I know, you don't tune the LSN by temperature. That's for the HSN. With the low speed you warm it up to operating temp, and Pinch the fuel tubing near the carb. If it dies right away, it's too lean. If it runs for a while, it's too rich. The second way is to do the idle test. Run it, bring it over to you, let it idle for 5 seconds. If it bogs, it's too rich. If it dies, it's too lean. Hope this helps.

0x001A4 03-28-2007 09:23 PM

Cool. I'll keep that in mind when tuning the LSN but I was actually talking about the HSN ;)

dapro 03-31-2007 07:20 PM

ANY CARNAGE THUS FAR???

I managed to break the front bulk head by hitting a flower pot while doing spins on wet pavement, it took over a week for my LHS to get me the bulkhead

I am also working on a design for a modified oval body at the moment, I'll post picks of it when its complete...Anyone else running this truck on dirt oval??

Oscardms 04-01-2007 03:31 PM

I broke the front body post mount yesterday. Actually the wife did. She wants to get a truck too and she wanted to drive my truck to see what it was like. Needless to say, it was too fast for her and drove it head on into the curb. That was the only damage done. It's a well built truck. I seriously thought it was going to be worse because it was at full throttle when she hit the curb.

dapro 04-01-2007 05:19 PM

I wasn't going wot into the box but you can see where the front arm acctually took the hit but only the bulk head broke, so I 2nd your comment on well built truck, I have given it a few beating and 1 part so far....I am also very happy with the performance of the motor, I just hit a gallon and it still surprises me when I hit the straight aways....

I broke the front body post mount yesterday. Actually the wife did. She wants to get a truck too and she wanted to drive my truck to see what it was like. Needless to say, it was too fast for her and drove it head on into the curb. That was the only damage done. It's a well built truck. I seriously thought it was going to be worse because it was at full throttle when she hit the curb.

sapper ion 04-01-2007 06:37 PM

So, I want to start fooling around with the differetial. So if it says it has a Planetary Diff gear, what kind is it, and how do I get it to stop unloading to one wheel

dapro 04-01-2007 07:40 PM

50k+ diff fluid , but I think the only complete way would be to lock the diff....you'll have to experiment to find what works for you and your driving style

ORIGINAL: sapper ion

So, I want to start fooling around with the differetial. So if it says it has a Planetary Diff gear, what kind is it, and how do I get it to stop unloading to one wheel

Oscardms 04-02-2007 06:30 PM

Has anyone replaced their Steering Servo? If so, what did you guys use? I noticed my stock servo doesn't have enough torque. I noticed that anytime the wheels would go over something that wasn't smooth, it would knock the steering out of place. I know I need one with more torque so I'm looking for suggestions. Nothing too expensive either. Thanks.

dapro 04-02-2007 07:24 PM

Well I had an extra 645mg setting in my box so I put it on, works great and plenty of power....there are extra servo horns in the box with the firestorm, one will fit hitec servos....

I also put on a JR270 servo for throttle(pulled new from AFT), and installed a power switch with charge jack...

Has anyone replaced their Steering Servo? If so, what did you guys use? I noticed my stock servo doesn't have enough torque. I noticed that anytime the wheels would go over something that wasn't smooth, it would knock the steering out of place. I know I need one with more torque so I'm looking for suggestions. Nothing too expensive either. Thanks.
I have to say that I never powered up the radio or servos, I pulled and replaced them first thing, sent them off to ebay land.....I did that first thing while changing diff fluids, sealing motor, and checking all screws.....

Oscardms 04-07-2007 10:55 AM

Hey guys. I noticed that my truck doesn't stand still while idling. It starts to creep. I already adjusted the idle screw and it wants to die if I move it any more. I also checked the clutch spring and it was still intact. Any suggestions?

djheptic 04-07-2007 02:04 PM

when you first start the engine up it might rev higher than usual, but the revs will drop as the engine warms up. I would adjust the throttle trim on your TX if the problem carries on

Mr2.4T 04-07-2007 03:32 PM

My buddy is having the same problem with his. It is like the clutch is engaging at idle, and I don't mean high idle. If you hold the truck from moving it will die. Seems like the clutch may be a bit larger then it should or the clucth spring is to lose. Any help out there in Firestorm land?

Oscardms 04-07-2007 04:58 PM

Yeah, seriously. The idle isn't high. If I try to adjust the idle screw, it wants to die.