RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Nitro Stadium Trucks (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-nitro-stadium-trucks-243/)
-   -   -=OFFICIAL HPI FIRESTORM THREAD=- (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-nitro-stadium-trucks-243/5074112-%3Dofficial-hpi-firestorm-thread%3D.html)

cnguyen831 04-08-2007 01:28 PM

RE: -=OFFICIAL HPI FIRESTORM THREAD=-

Hey, I am thinking about this truck and the RC10GT2. When ppl say that it rips the GT2, are they not comparing engines? Isn't the GT2 .15 and this a .18? Why did you choose this car over the RC10GT2? I am really leaning on this truck due to it's price and bigger engine.

djheptic 04-08-2007 01:58 PM

ive been looking at this truck today for about 2 hours on the hpi website...im really thinking of getting it, its really cheap...its new...it looks good...looks solid...and i want to start racing and i think this would be the right truck. what do you think people?. Im getting bored of my mt2 now and it just keeps breaking lol.

cnguyen831 04-09-2007 03:58 AM

bump

rclynx 04-09-2007 04:16 AM

GT2 or Firestorm both work for racing real well, Your next question should be how many extra parts do I want to buy to race and what parts do they stock at the LHS ? A well set up race set will run any where from $400.00 to $2500.00 so the more you can get from the LHS the less you have to buy up front :D

rdt45 04-10-2007 12:25 PM

Well had my first major problem with my Firestorm. It started to bog at speed. No amount of tuning would get it out. While checking the engine I noticed as I truned the flywheel and the piston would reach TDC it became extremely hard to turn through TDC. Also the flywheel felt like it would slip a little. It will rock back and forth and the piston will not move. Also hearing a sound inside the engine as it pulls through TDC. Sent it in to HPI today. We'll see what they have to say. Only 4 tanks through it. Other than this I really like the truck so far.......

sapper ion 04-10-2007 12:56 PM

Not that this really has anything to do with it, but when I was trying to get the clutch off for the first time I did the old reverse the oneway bearing trick and ended up breaking my start shaft loose.

Oscardms 04-10-2007 12:57 PM

I want to upgrade the steering servo at least. Can anyone recommend a good steering servo? What range of Torque should I be looking for. Obviously the higher the better but I'm not looking to spend more than $40. Thanks guys.

buggymangp 04-10-2007 03:37 PM

ORIGINAL: Oscardms

I want to upgrade the steering servo at least. Can anyone recommend a good steering servo? What range of Torque should I be looking for. Obviously the higher the better but I'm not looking to spend more than $40. Thanks guys.
i put a 645 hitec in mine and its seems to do the job fine.

dapro 04-10-2007 04:53 PM

I said the same thing on the previous page, the servo only cost about $35.00 133oz at .20sec
plenty of power, cheap, servo horn included with your firestorm, its a quick install...

ORIGINAL: buggymangp

i put a 645 hitec in mine and its seems to do the job fine.

djheptic 04-10-2007 05:18 PM

i want to see more pictures of your firestorms :D:D

Oscardms 04-10-2007 05:25 PM

I was actually looking into that servo because you mentioned it. I was just looking to see if any one else had any opinions. Guess I'll just go with that one. I'm actually getting a DX3.0 from my wife for my birthday but I know the steering servo that comes with the system is pretty weak.

dapro 04-10-2007 08:29 PM

its a Spektrum (JR) 590m 85oz at 15 sec.
645mg is the best servo at that price, another $40 will get more power and speed, but it isn't needed...my opinion

I'm racing the firestorm in its first big off-road event this sat, hope it holds up against all the gt2's everyone else owns...[>:]

Ryszard99 04-11-2007 02:05 AM

http://youtube.com/watch?v=NgXS8VHLWZQ

This is mine. Love the truck!!

Rallye_10t 04-11-2007 05:02 AM

ORIGINAL: dapro

I'm racing the firestorm in its first big off-road event this sat, hope it holds up against all the gt2's everyone else owns...[>:]
Good luck on saturday hope the firestorm does good:D[>:]

dapro 04-11-2007 07:01 AM

ORIGINAL: Rallye_10t

Good luck on saturday hope the firestorm does good:D[>:]
Thanks, know just hoping the weather holds.....

Oscardms 04-11-2007 01:54 PM

Does anyone know the torque of the stock Steering Servo?

dapro 04-11-2007 02:11 PM

SF-1 40oz .16sec

Does anyone know the torque of the stock Steering Servo?

Oscardms 04-11-2007 04:28 PM

Good lord that's weak. Even the servo that comes with the DX3.0 will be better than that.

dapro 04-11-2007 10:00 PM

true, but I have had jr servos fail, 1 steering (jr 590m) and 1 throttle (jr 270) on my new Losi AFT with in 3 weeks, and I didn't even have 4 tanks thru the truck, I also had to send in the motor, all three replaced by warranty, plus a few other servo problems....
I still have the same Hitec 645mg steering servo on my savage, I purchased it almost 2 years ago when I got the truck, I beat the crap out of that trucks...that is my experience with jr racing servos, I only have a 270 on my throttle bacause I was in a hurry to go race oval, but I am shopping tomorrow after work for a good hitec replacement before the big race...

Good lord that's weak. Even the servo that comes with the DX3.0 will be better than that.

Tru3Racing 04-12-2007 11:55 PM

Just ordered my Firestorm today! Can't wait. Does it come with preglued tires?

dapro 04-13-2007 05:17 AM

yes, I had to re-glue the rear tires shortly after getting it....you might want to order a new servo for steering (stock is 40oz .16sec) while you wait for the truck, and once you get the truck, check your planetary diff, mine only had a dab of grease, I changed it for 30k fluid, I love it.....great truck at a cheap price, enjoy...

sapper ion 04-13-2007 09:25 AM

Yes they are reglued, and no reglueing needed for mine, I have put 4 gallons through it and it has hit sand asphalt grass and snow. So that should give you an idea if they are glued good enough

kyle9013 04-13-2007 03:21 PM

How is this truck?
does it preform well?
speed? durable?
from the videos it looks good
and the price is pretty cheap.
is it better then the mt2?

aaront 04-13-2007 03:41 PM

Just want to say this truck kicks butt. I feel I made a great decision being new to nitro RC's and can't wait for some upgrades to come along. Took it to the local BMX track and jumped some BIG doubles smoothly after a few nose diggers, over-shoots and some very hard tumbles trying to get the speeds just right. It is a tough and very manageable truck. I recomend it for the price and for those just getting into the scene.

rdt45 04-13-2007 04:00 PM

How is this truck?
does it preform well?
speed? durable?
from the videos it looks good
and the price is pretty cheap.
is it better then the mt2?
I have to say I'm really happy with mine. Handles great at the track. Corners well but where this thing shines is comming out of the turns. You grab the gas and it flies....