RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Nitro Stadium Trucks (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-nitro-stadium-trucks-243/)
-   -   -=OFFICIAL HPI FIRESTORM THREAD=- (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-nitro-stadium-trucks-243/5074112-%3Dofficial-hpi-firestorm-thread%3D.html)

LeoH 05-10-2007 06:40 PM

RE: -=OFFICIAL HPI FIRESTORM THREAD=-

i just got mine today.

gotten broken in and all and loving it so far.

looking forward to the weekend!

rdt45 05-10-2007 11:13 PM

Just had my Firestorm on the track again. Ran better than ever. I'm truely happy with the way this thing performs, especially for a rtr.So far so good, nothing broken...............[8D]

Croaker73 05-11-2007 12:53 AM

Just got my Firestorm, ran it for about a week then ripped of my exhaust. Anyone know where to get longer exhaust screws?? Need to get some nuts on the rear of em to take care of the problem. Also anyone know why my truck keeps dieing out. Having the hardest time keeping it idleing!! appreciate the help!

BrisbaneTNX 05-11-2007 05:00 AM

Also anyone know why my truck keeps dieing out. Having the hardest time keeping it idleing!! appreciate the help!
Check your clutch shoe spring, it may be broken, my one broke after about a litre.

Dudes my firestorm is running really good now, I have put proline Snake eyes tires on all four wheels, a Futaba S9451 servo for steering, and a Spektrum DX3. This truck handles so well and is insanely fast :D

rdt45 05-11-2007 06:29 AM

Croaker, I had a little problem at first with mine also. I was running it a little too lean. I also bumped up the idle to where it just barely starts to move then back it off just a bit. Idle sounds high but haven't had it die anymore.......

mncastro 05-11-2007 12:41 PM

Still loving this thing. I'm going to upgrade my servo's, and as long as I'm doing that I am going to upgrade my radio. This is my first nitro car, but I can tell you more are on the way. So an FM radio is in my future!

Futuba, HiTec, and Airtronics are all quality brands right? I'm thinking Futaba 3PM, or the HiTec SRX 3? Is there a big difference between 27 MHz and 75?

buggymangp 05-11-2007 01:08 PM

27 or 75 is fine.
just stay away from AM.
if you are going to get more cars just get a radio with mutli model setting.
some radios you can run up 10 cars.
i have a jr xr3i radio and that has 4 model setting.

keepontruckin 05-11-2007 01:17 PM

what hump pack will fit into the stock batt tray??

buggymangp 05-11-2007 01:19 PM

i`m using the venom 1200 6v pack and it fits fine.
i think any 5 cell hump pack would fit.
but not a flat pack.

aaront 05-11-2007 01:32 PM

I have a Venom 6v 1200 as well... Fits great!!!

BisTheTall 05-11-2007 02:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi All.

Great thread! I've been lurking on this forum for a while and have decided it's finally time to post here 'cos I've had my Firestorm 2 weeks and the advice on here has helped me massively.

I've had electric cars for 20 years odd now and this is my 1st foray into nitro. I'm getting on great with the Firestorm so far but I've not had chance to run it much.

I went to my LHS and bought the RTR Firestorm kit with everything I needed (fuel, igniter etc) for 200GBP and went home desperate to get it running. The 1st thing I realised was I was going to have to wait a day for the igniter to charge. [&o]

Next day I woke up early and got all the kit ready. Checked Glo plug in charger... ok. Check batteries....ok. Fill with fuel.....ok. Connect Igniter to Glo plug....... ok. (I'm getting really excited now. 1st time to start a nitro engine).............. Where is all this fuel coming from?

The fuel tank had a split in the bottom, almost following the convex ridge. Fuel was pouring out.

Back to LHS who was very good and lent me a tank from another car while the replacement came in. Back home, strap the new tank on and we're away! It started 2nd pull after priming (still following instructions like a good little boy) so on to the break in.....

After religiously following the break in procedure for 3 tanks of fuel (1st time nitro, was scared of killing it before I started) I finally got to to open the throttle in a local car park and see what she could do. After 2 mins of grinning from ear to ear the "Brand new" receiver batteries my LHS supplied me ran out. Whilst at full throttle! Pointed directly at the curb! I lost control. (I have a failsafe on the way.) The crunch was horrible. She was at absolute full throttle and had a run up. The owners out there can imagine how fast!

Almost crying I stretchered her home and evaluated the damage, expecting the worst. I had broken the front bulkhead into 3 pieces and the upper deck was rather bent and had rammed itself against the steering servo, etc etc (I'll attach a pic if I can work out how) but apart from that all seemed ok. So the wait for parts started.

Ordered from Wheelspin models they took 8 days to deliver the parts and it took me 2 hours to swap the top decks over.

I'm now back up and running, spent 2 hours yesterday stood in the pouring rain (I know it ain't good for the car but I HAD to get out and drive) getting a basic tune set up and having a whole load of fun!!!

Considering the impact she took the damage was minimal and should answer the questions on here I've seen about hardiness. I can't wait to start properly tuning her and get some mods done. (Has anyone tried the MT2 wheels and tyres front and back on a Firestorm?)

Don't worry, all my posts won't be this long, I just thought I would introduce myself so you know why I'm asking stupid questions in future

:D

Bis

buggymangp 05-11-2007 02:21 PM

welcome aboard
i won`t even think of running a car without a failsafe.
do your self a favor and open up the diff after you run a few tanks thur it
and need to a cleaning. there is only a drop of grease in there. fill it up before
you do any real running.

buggymangp 05-11-2007 02:23 PM

oh yes. i have been running mt 2 tires and wheels on the back of mine.
my fronts are still stock. i wanted a better tire on the back of mine
for street running and safe the stock back tires for dirt.

BisTheTall 05-11-2007 02:53 PM

ORIGINAL: buggymangp

welcome aboard
i won`t even think of running a car without a failsafe.
do your self a favor and open up the diff after you run a few tanks thur it
and need to a cleaning. there is only a drop of grease in there. fill it up before
you do any real running.

This is the perfect reply to my last cos I was gonna ask about Diff oils. I run on loose surfaces grass etc and want to move more towards a "locked" diff. Any input here?

buggymangp 05-11-2007 02:55 PM

sorry i can`t help you there on the locked diff.
maybe 50K diff oil. i don`t like a locked diff on any of my cars.

BisTheTall 05-11-2007 03:00 PM

ORIGINAL: buggymangp

sorry i can`t help you there on the locked diff.
maybe 50K diff oil. i don`t like a locked diff on any of my cars.

I only need the "locked" for my gravel runs. But i still think the standard diff oil is too soft. I don't know anything about this subject so would like any input from anyone! :)

buggymangp 05-11-2007 03:07 PM

the stock diff has grease in it. not fluid.
and only a drop of it at that.
i filled my diff with the hpi grease i had and it feels smooth.

sapper ion 05-11-2007 03:31 PM

so for us who are new and have never torn it apart, will it be pretty easy to figure where the grease is gonna go in there

rclynx 05-12-2007 08:13 AM

A good cleaning befor the grease is best and using differential oil is even better:D read your manuel HPI is good at explaining things:eek:

Rallye_10t 05-12-2007 08:16 AM

Would a Hitec HS635HB servo fit in the Firestorm?

BisTheTall 05-12-2007 05:55 PM

Oh Man! Here we go again. My 2nd proper run out and she lasted 20 minutes.

Guess what died? The diff. (well, thats my guess at the moment) She suddenly started pulling hard left under acceleration and i wondered why so brought her back and checked it out. When i spin one wheel by hand the other should spin in the opposite direction but all I get is an occasional crunch [&o]

I'm gonna strip her down tomorrow and see whats wrong but my gues is at least one dead bevel gear. I don't think this should happen this early in my cars life and will be looking at a warranty repair. I don't think that's unreasonable.

I'm so gutted, this is a great piece of kit. If only I could get more runtime between breakdowns!!!

Bis

BisTheTall 05-12-2007 06:06 PM

(I also recieved the graphite upper deck set today, if I'm stripping her down it would be rude not to fit the new deck)

Has anyone else fitted the graphite deck and if so did you actually notice any difference?

Bis

EMO1982 05-13-2007 05:14 AM

Hey guys. Great site you have here.

Well im going to order a Firestorm on tuesday or wednesday and it will be my first ever nitro r/c .
I have been doing a lot of research on the truck and have gathered a lot of usefull info from this site and others . I am a total newbie to rc so have downloaded tutorials from hpieurope.com and other places on general maintenance and repairs etc. i still have some questions tho.

My intrest at the moment would be just to "get to grips with the truck" i.e i wont be racing or heavy bashing for a while . Just improve my driving skill and to keep it well maintained before i go breaking the thing :-)

--- Ive read here that the diff should be lubed after breaking in , the only tutorial i found was for the rush evo on the hpi website. Is it a similar kind of procedure for the Firestorm?

--- The fuel the stockist offers to supply with the truck is 16% stockist own brand. i was going to order tornado 20% , would that be better?

--- In the near future i will be buying a failsafe (fastraxmicro) and a battery pack (venom 1200 6v) but for the moment the standard batteries will get me started , roughly how long can i run the standard batteries before i should change them? ( dont want to run out of juice and smash it haha).

--- The truck comes with a glow starter and overnight charger ,roughly what is the life span of the glow start between charges?

--- and lastly , would you recomend any spares i should order with the truck that i may need often ( ive got after run oil, air filter oil, diff lube and car cleaner on my list already)

Like i said guys im a total newbie at this so forgive the daft questions .

buggymangp 05-14-2007 10:39 AM

for off the shelve aa batterys.
i would say about 5 of six tanks just to be on the safe side.
the diff is not hard to remove just be careful there is a gasket in there that
you won`t to ruin. i reuse the gasket when i took mine apart.
mine didn`t come with a glow starter.
i`m using 20% nitro but 16% should be fine.
for spare parts right off the bat. get some glow plugs.
i didn`t run my firestorm this weekend.
i ran my savage and hyper 8.
great bash day. i didn`t break anything. but my savage needs new brake pads.

EMO1982 05-14-2007 12:30 PM

Cheers buggyman.

Yeah the firestorm doesnt come with the glow starter , its just the deal the shop is offering .

How often do you re-lube the diff ?

order goes in tomorrow ,should have it wednesday .