Community
Search
Notices
RC Painting, Detailing & Bodies Discuss painting techniques, methods and materials. Also detailing and bodies

Plasti-Dip Body for Traxxas Slash

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 09:11 AM
WindrockDog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plasti-Dip Body for Traxxas Slash

So I just got my Traxxas Slash 4WD the other day, and after running it around, I realize that the body scratches up kinda easy. Being new to the whole RC going 20+MPH, I figured I should try to save my good body for when I get the car fixed and I get good at driving. The spring retainer clip broke after the first discharge, so the car leans a lot and is hard to control.Anyway, I figured I could pick up a blank body, then spray the whole thing in black Plasti-dip. Then, it will hold up well to my stupidy and newbieness. Then, I will go for green accents, get some Monster Energy decals, and it will be a durable Monster Energy truck body! What do you all think? I have never seen it done before. Oh, and can I just paint over the Plasti-dip, or do I have to razor-blade it away and then paint the trim? Oh, and should I do the underside where the wheel wells are so the body is not damaged by the rocks I throw up?
Just so everyone knows, I would not be able to do this until the fall. IDK if anyone heard, but there is a massive heat wave that comes through the East Tennessee valley, and it is very humid. It is hell to go outside.
Thanks for the tips/comments/opinions!
Old 07-23-2011, 10:40 AM
mlwgf8
My Feedback: (8)

Default RE: Plasti-Dip Body for Traxxas Slash

Rc bodies are ment to be painted on the inside with a particular lexan paint. 

Plasti-dip is flexable but i've never seen it cover the entire body.  I've only used it for a real looking truck bed. 

The two paints mostly used are faskcolors and parma.  For the green if you use the plasti-dip just block the area you don't want black with tape. 

When you do this paint slowly with the plasti-dip it will take several layers and you will have to use an exacto knife to cut the tape out because it will peel up the paint around it.

The best advise i have is go for it.  I believe it will work with the little i've used it but there's only one way to find out for sure.
Old 07-23-2011, 11:06 AM
WindrockDog

ORIGINAL: mlwgf8

Rcbodies are ment to be painted on the inside with a particular lexan paint.

Plasti-dip is flexable but i've never seen it cover the entire body. I've only used it for a real looking truck bed.

The two paintsmostly used are faskcolors and parma. For the green if you use the plasti-dip just block the area you don't want black with tape.

When you do this paint slowly with the plasti-dip it will take several layers and you will have to use an exacto knife to cut the tape out because it will peel up the paint around it.

The best advise i have is go for it. I believe it will work with the little i've used it but there's only one way to find out for sure.
Okay, then I will only go around with the inside of the wheel-wells with the Plasti-dip then. I don't see why it won't cover the whole body, I can buy more than one can. I will look up that paint you mentioned too. I will try it as soon as it gets cool. I should go out and get the stuff soon.. .. .. ..

Old 07-23-2011, 10:28 PM
mlwgf8
My Feedback: (8)

The two paints are faskolor by parma and testor racing finish.  I made a mistake sorry about that.

Old 07-29-2011, 06:31 PM
GALAXY

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Windrock,come chill down here for a week and see what humid is.I'm assuming you ride since your name is Windrock.

I say go for it,may want to scuff up the body with some scotch-brite so it has something to grab on to.
Old 08-17-2011, 11:14 AM
WindrockDog

Yeah, I do. Although we have not been up there in a while. I think we were there July 13-14th for a camping trip. It was great fun, although we did not get much actual riding done, it was till a fun day.
Chill, LOL. Like wow hot. We did get up in humidity though. I will go for it closer to the middle of October, when I will be getting the clear body and neon green/yellow paint. I will scuff it up with scotch-brite before I go. You all should see how beaten up my body is right now, the stock one. Small cracks are forming in the back, and the wheel wells are going black from jumps. I have two quick questions though: 1, are the clear aftermarket bodies more durable? 2. Although this does not have much to do with the body, are the holes for the shocks threaded? I have tried moving the shocks on this thing up, and down, but the screw won't go in because I believe there are no threads for the holes.... Hmm
I will work on it when I said.... but will still be checking this thread.
Old 10-17-2011, 07:31 AM
WindrockDog

I actually did it a while back....: D
I kept reminding myself to do it so here I am.  I will get pics up later, but my recommendation after doing three thick coats is use truck bed liner.  Now, new it looks just freaking awesome on the underside.  But once you run it, the wheels will still scrape the body and cause the plasti-dip to rub off, even after waiting 48 hours to let it dry all the way.
Commercial truck liner looks promising for sure.  I may try it later on too..... 
Old 10-21-2011, 05:59 AM
LaTuFu
My Feedback: (1)

Just run your body for a while and beat the poo out of it.  They're made to be cheap and flexible for a reasoneven after your noobiness wears off you'll still roll the truck at times.

Bodies are meant to be replaced.  That's the fun of learning how to paint them.

Keep a beater shell (or two) for every day use, make a nice one for your display if you like.  Don't sweat the scratches.  It means you're doing it right.
Old 03-08-2012, 05:22 PM
WindrockDog

This was the result:

Sorry it took so long, I'm slow to taking care of things.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca82129.jpg
Views:	3084
Size:	174.3 KB
ID:	1736474