Community
Search
Notices
RC Painting, Detailing & Bodies Discuss painting techniques, methods and materials. Also detailing and bodies

1st Timer... Doing "ok" so far

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2012, 07:31 AM
tyhatts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1st Timer... Doing "ok" so far

Hey everyone

I trashed the stock Tmaxx body so I decided I was going to give paiting a try.

I picked up a 2007 silverado body and a SVT Raptor body aswell.
I started on the 2007.... I went to the hobby shop and picked up some liquid mask, paint, tools, etc.
My scheme was black base color with lime green accents.... I couldnt find a straight lime green so I had to use the metallic.

Heres a pic of the first coat of liquid mask. Lesson #1 learned.... 3 light coats.... ALWAYS smooth out the thick areas.... you can see the blue spots all over the body, those slowed the process down obviously because they took forever to dry. Coat 2/3 went on alot smoother/carefully.

The liquid mask took approx 2 days total to get to the point I could start to trim the design.

I drew out my basic design.... and started to cut. The cutting went alot smoother then expected... Lesson #2... make sure to spread the liquid mask EVENLY across the body. Some areas were a bit of a pain to remove the mask.

First coat of green

I used three light coats of green

Then backed the green with white ( 3 coats) .... I think I should have used silver to get a more "candy" appearance.

Here is where I learned my biggest, most important lesson. That lesson is to LISTEN to all the "how to" videos .... I didnt let my paint FULLY cure. I figured if its dry, then thats good enough. I started to remove the liquid mask so I could lay down my black base color. Well the liquid mask and paint would pull away from each other as I tried to peel it off.... basically the liquid mask would pull off underneath, the paint would seperate and wouldnt leave a straight line. I could go back and pull that paint away, but its just a pain , and makes a huge mess.

Outside before removing liquid mask.

Heres where im at currently

Tonight I will lay 3 coats of black and let that sit.

Thanks for looking

Old 11-03-2012, 11:00 PM
aussiexl59

Default RE: 1st Timer... Doing

mate i have that problem with paint too.i get too impaitient and peel too early...
cant wait to see more...
Old 04-21-2013, 12:42 PM
Merc4Stroke

Default RE: 1st Timer... Doing

+1 on getting antsy on the pantsy.