RC Painting, Detailing & Bodies Discuss painting techniques, methods and materials. Also detailing and bodies

Which makes more economical sense?

Old 05-23-2016, 09:04 PM
davenport_95

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Question Which makes more economical sense?

I could have my local hobby shop do one of two things:

1. custom paint a body chartreuse with a white roof and white driver doors that is already painted stock orange or stock black from Tamiya that is included in a FJ Cruiser kit already

or

2. pay about another $65 for a clear Tamiya bodyset on top of the price of the kit with the painted/trimmed body already inclused: I would have to pay for the labor to trim the body, prime the body and paint it

I am not sure if factory-painted Tamiya bodies are painted on the inside or the outside of the clear shell.

Which make more economical sense: buy a clear bodyset to do a custom paint job or just custom paint over the pre-painted body included with the kit? Wouldn't the painted body have to be stripped, sanded and primed before a new paint job?

Which method will produce a NEATER painted body: custom paint from a fresh clear untrimmed bodyset or repainting a pre-painted body?

Either way, there might be considerable labor costs involved. Trimming a new clear body might be less labor-intensive than stripping factory paint off a trimmed body.

Not only do I have to consider money, I have to consider how nice the body will look.

Somehow I wish Tamiya would have a vehicle kit (assembly/ready to run/almost ready to run) with just a clear trimmed body (primed or unprimed) included so the customer can do a paint job of his own liking aftermarket.

I am considering a Tamiya FJ Cruiser Toyota kit of some kind as the platform for this custom livery.

Last edited by davenport_95; 05-24-2016 at 04:59 AM.
Old 07-22-2017, 12:26 PM
mkjohnston
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I allways want to paint it myself get you and airbrush a good one or find several colors in spray cans and youtube how to paint an rc body and go for there. Its no fun running something that someone else put together.my 2 cents michael
Old 07-23-2017, 08:20 AM
RustyUs

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I doubt OP is waiting for response.

Pay the extra $$$ and have someone do it right. Painting can be tedious at times. It just depends on how far you want to take it. Lots of taping involved when you want multi color, and fine detail work done.

I always have painted bodies myself, or, if I love a screen printed/painted OEM body, I will sometimes just buy it for a kit. There is a sense of accomplishment that goes with doing it yourself, but in a RTR world of today's RCs, it's all about quick gratification.

Last edited by RustyUs; 07-23-2017 at 08:46 AM.