Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Painting, Detailing & Bodies
Reload this Page >

Can i use a dremel tool to cut out my new body?

Notices
RC Painting, Detailing & Bodies Discuss painting techniques, methods and materials. Also detailing and bodies

Can i use a dremel tool to cut out my new body?

Old 07-21-2004, 02:36 PM
bkmademedoit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can i use a dremel tool to cut out my new body?

would it hurt anything to use a dremel tool with a cutting disc to cut out a new body? i just got it today and im almost afraid to start it because i dont want to mess this one up. i have a pair of curved lexan scissors but i think they're pretty awkward to use.

#2. in what order should i cut and paint? everywhere i look says something different.

#3. any tips for applying window masks without wrinkles? any product i can spray on to make them slide around easier then adhere when it dries?

#4. these decals say precut but it still looks like i have to do the final trimming? is this correct? (i think so, just verifying)

#5. should i bother backing a metallic blue to make it look better, and if so whats the best way to go about doing this if i also want to apply a spray on tint to the windows?

i appreciate any help you can offer. i hope this one turns out good!
Old 07-21-2004, 03:33 PM
iliketobreakthings

Default RE: Can i use a dremel tool to cut out my new body?

i can only answer one of those questions

#2. i would highly recommend that you cut then paint cause if you cut paint it has a tendency to crack
Old 07-21-2004, 06:10 PM
samcim

tell you whats best is to use the sizzors to get most of it off then use the drum sanding dremel bit to finish it off
Old 07-21-2004, 06:13 PM
RockDog0269

I use a dremmel with a sanding drum on it to smooth out the wheel wells, but for cutting I use scissors.

#2 - Personal preference, I cut then paint. I tend to scratch the paint up when I do it the other way around. Scratches before you paint are almost always covered up by the paint unless it's a deeeeeeeep scratch.

#3 - I've used Windex on mine with no problems. Spray down the area and apply the mask, blot dry. SOME window masks are very "papery" and may rip when soaked with windex. Experiment a little...

#4 - I trim decals as close as possible...again, it's a personal preference...I don't like the look of extra decal if I don't have to have it...

#5 - If I understand this correctly...I would back the Metallic Blue with either Silver or White...then spray your window tint. They should be two separate things...windows masked while spraying Metallic Blue and backing color, remove window mask, spray window tint.

Hope this helps some...
Old 07-21-2004, 10:59 PM
bkmademedoit

some? you answered every question! thanks alot to everyone....this will definitely give me a running start at this one.
Old 07-23-2004, 02:05 AM
bkmademedoit

well. i learned that spray window tint is really runny. i'd say it came out looking better than i expected, but far from perfect.
Old 07-23-2004, 07:45 PM
rcKlan
My Feedback: (3)

yea