Community
Search
Notices
RC Painting, Detailing & Bodies Discuss painting techniques, methods and materials. Also detailing and bodies

first time painting body???????

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2004, 03:46 AM
Q8 RC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default first time painting body???????

hey guys i have a savage body the one with the ss kit i want to paint it but this is the first time so wut do i need to take care of

Bader

KUWAIT
Old 08-22-2004, 05:32 AM
neil.jb

Default RE: first time painting body???????

have a look at this thread

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/Few_...2092181/tm.htm
Old 08-25-2004, 09:59 PM
fireguy01
My Feedback: (11)

well, the first thing you want to do is trim it. take an exacto knife and CAREFULLY scribe along the panel lines. go back over the scribe to make sure you are into the lexan deep enough then bend towards the inside and it will break right along the scribed line. do not use lexan scissors unless cutting compound curves. they will butcher the edges and they wont look clean. then you want to thoroughly clean the inside to remove the releasing agent from the mold. use mild dish soap and a sponge, then dry. gitchu some masking film from bob dively or hobbico - about 3.00 a bottle. they tell you to airbrush the mask on but its too thick to spray unless you have a large tip. gitchu one of those sponge brushes because they are easier to use, wont leave hairs, and faster than a regular brush. paint the first coat ON THE INSIDE OF THE BODY SHELL in one direction, paint the second coat the opposite direction and the 3rd coat same as the first taking care to thoroughly dry between coats. you are now ready to design. gitchu a sharpie with a fine and medium tip on either side. this can also be used to draw panel lines after the paint is down. if you make a mistake, you can remove with a solution of 1/3 nail polish remover to 2/3 rubbing alcohol. its actually more like a 3 to 1 ratio. the solution will not harm the lexan but hopefully the shell has a clear cover to protect from overspray. you can use a french curve to draw directly on the outside of the body to make tribal design or whatever. you can use just about anything as a paint mask. torn paper, the end of an old paint brush, 3M vinyl tape - (i prefer it to masking because of bleeding) and you can also use it to make stripes - all kinds of stuff. once your design is complete you are now ready to paint. it is possible to obtain a decent finish from a spray can and you dont need to invest in an airbrush right away. but i suggest a badger 150 for openers. its cheap, easy to use and works ok. you (can) use the can propellent but they lack power. a mini compressor is better. you need to be around 20 psi pressure. be creative. and when laying down the design you have to think in reverse. meaning what you want to see first, remove that mask area and paint it. use several coats taking care to spray A LIGHT MIST on each pass, dry and then MIST. if you dont mist and lay down a thick coat, the paint wont adhere well to the lexan. i like the acrylic from pactra and parma faskolor because 1.) it is easy to clean, and 2.) if you make a mistake you can just spray it off with a hose and toothbrush. contrast is important. light to dark contrast looks better than dark to dark or medium to dark. paint the dark colors FIRST. if you must paint light colors first, back the color with white or silver. every month in rc car action magazine called body shop that gives tips on painting and detailing. there is also a book you can buy for 19.99 in the back of the magazine called painting and detailing. good luck and have fun ! upload some pics to the forum of your work !
Old 08-28-2004, 01:11 PM
Q8 RC

ow thanx all i have started painting the body i will bring some pics soon

Bader

KUWAIT