Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: Painting Lexan

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Painting Lexan

I have two lexan bodies to paint and I was wondering if the best paint was what the hobby shop carries or if there was an alternate to poly-carbonate paint. The 1/10 bodies won't require more than two coats of paint and at between $4 and $7 for 3oz. of paint it seems pretty expensive for a plain white and silver paints I will need.

THANKS

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Painting Lexan

You need to use the Paint for the poly-carbonate body,because of the way it adhere to body and the flex agent so it doesn`t flake off.You must wash body and do a good masking job or you body will look bad.If you have any question just ask
    CORO KID

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks

I appreciate your help. I did speak with someone at the hobby store and he explained it jsut as you did. I will probably paint these next week. I may have some more questions then.

Thanks

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Painting Lexan

I just got into RC racing about two weeks ago and I've painted my first two lexan 1/10 scale bodies. You can view my second body at the following link: http://cs.kowtow.com/rc/rc.html I think that over 90% of an awesome body comes in the preparation time. I DEFINATELY suggest using a liguid mask. I recommend (as does HauntedMyst from http://www.rctech.net) using Bob Dively's liquid mask.

Screw the tape method unless you want to do some very basic painting with straight lines, etc. Don't get me wrong there is a time and place for that as well, but if you get the chance you will really make things happen by using the liquid mask and a little imaginiation.

In addition to the liquid mask, get access to an air brush. The job I did (see link above) was my first attempt at using an airbrush. I have been pretty impressed with the flexibility of an airbrush.

As for the expense of the paint. It may seem expensive, but it lasts quite a long time. I've only had to put multiple coats on my Faskolor yellow, because of how thin it was right out of the bottle. I would recommend at the minimum three coats if you aren't going to be using mulitple colors/layers, allowing each coat to dry first.

Good luck and I look forward to seeing your work.

kowtow

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

about you paint

What i herd about the paint in hobby stores is that that paint when you hit a wall racing or get up against another racer your body kinda bends and the lexan pain doesnt chip off like other paint would. I am not speaking from experence but that is what i herd. >Rush man

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Painting Lexan

Me, being an idiot, followed EVERY instruction to a T, minus the fact that I needed to use special paint. I scrubed and masked like a champ, and then painted with "Testors" model paint.

Well, I slamed into a curb yesterday, and the whole back end chipped away... It Used to look nice...

I wish now I spent the 4 - 7$ for 3 Oz... because it'd save me 25$ on a new body, and all my time to paint a new body...
    - Celly
    \" Nitro RC -- The only place where being rich is both a good thing, and a bad thing... \"

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Painting Lexan

I know the paint can seem expensive but I always keep my leftover paint. after a while you build up a collection and if there is enough left in the cans you can use it on another body. I've painted bodies before without even having to buy paint.
    the world was meant to go round not up and down!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Painting Lexan

oh and you said you were going to use silver and white. you can always use silver and white! Especially for backing lighter colors!
    the world was meant to go round not up and down!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Painting Lexan

I tried dupli- color auto paint. It works great. cost is cheaper than hobby store paint.You need to get the adhesion promoter to allow the color paint to adhere to lexan (his is a clear primer 11oz retail $4.99) color cans (6oz retail $3.49).I just painted a 1/4 body and only used 2 color cans to paint it. to paint a body with hobby store paint would have been $25.00 or more.I still have a half a can color to paint a 1/10 body.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Painting Lexan

Great news. My only problem now is how to remove the other paint without ruining the body. It seems to be a one time shot with these lexan bodies. I wish they would go back to a heavier body so you could paint the outside.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Painting Lexan

Try usin eazy off lemon cleaner. I had the same problem with my 1/4 truck body.It loosens the paint well with no damage. It took 1 day to remove 99.9 % paint in all areas.I used 3/12 cans but it was worth it you will probily use 1-2 cans).The body new was $125 new. I use my fingernail to scrach at the paint to speed up the process. (you may want to wear a surgical glove)then i used the DUPLI-color paint(from metalic blue to bright yellow) I wish I would hav use the DUPLI-color the first time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Painting Lexan

Where can I buy Bob Dively liquid mask? I have looked around online but have not been able to find it anywhere so far. thanks..
    Say hi to my cute bunny...his name is Stewart, but you can call him Stew.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Painting Lexan

Ijust use masking tape its cheap.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Painting Lexan

It is just that I have heard such good things about Bob Dively liquid mask that I would like to try it and see what all the hype is about.....

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Painting Lexan

You can get the Bob Dively liquid mask here:

http://www.bobdivelymodels.com/4.htm

The pricing is near the bottom of the page.
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and if you don\'\'t like them, go jump in a lake!!!!) LMAO!!!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Painting Lexan

Thank you....

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Painting Lexan

No problem!
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and if you don\'\'t like them, go jump in a lake!!!!) LMAO!!!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Painting Lexan

What exactly does the bob dively stuff do that makes it better than masking tape??

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Painting Lexan

Here's a link for some good info and comparisons regarding liquid masking and painting in general:

http://www.rctech.net/articles/paint...t1.shtml#sub18

The info on the liquid mask is near the bottom.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Painting Lexan

That is one of the articles that I read that caused me to want to give it a try....Thanks...