Community
Search
Notices
RC Painting, Detailing & Bodies Discuss painting techniques, methods and materials. Also detailing and bodies

High quality airbrush?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2006, 10:01 PM
dustin7837
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High quality airbrush?

Hey guys!

This is officially my first post in the painting section. I would like to start painting my own RC bodies, but I don't have a good air brush.
I've done some body work and painting on full size cars and I have an airbrush that i use in door sils/engine bays etc, but I don't really think it's what I need for intricate work. I did a search for airbrushes but there were so many results and the first few pages of them didn't tell me what I wanted to know, so I made a new post. hope that's ok.
I do have a few air compressors at home so I'm set there, Just need to know what you guys think would be a good quality airbrush.
Mind you, I'm not going to be selling any bodies or anything, just for my own personal use.
I've been tempted to buy a cheapo ebay kit, but I think I know better.

Can you guys reccomend the airbrush you think is the best quality for a reasonably small chunk of change?

Thanks!
Old 04-21-2006, 02:18 AM
7perfect7
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: High quality airbrush?

[link=http://bearair.com]bearair[/link] has alot of info and selections on air brushes and accessories, they also have a number you can call as well.
Old 04-21-2006, 03:28 AM
dustin7837

cool site.
Is there anything specific I should be looking for? Like with full size car sprayers, I prefer a gravity fed HVLP sprayer.
And will I want more than one airbrush? eg: a fine one and a wide sprayer? or do they come with interchangable tips?

I've read sever articles about painting RC's and the brushes they reccomend are only like 40$. Are RC grade airbrushes really that cheap or are those really crappy airbrushes?

And I see where lots of articles reccomend different paints. Is there a general concensus that any particular brand of paint is the best? or are any of the competing brands ok?

THanks again!
Old 04-21-2006, 11:05 AM
michelob78

Here, best airbrush and best price I found on the net.... I have one myself and LOVE it. Stripping for cleaning is a breeze, and you don't have to change tips. I say Iwata Eclipse BCS

http://www.dixieart.com/Eclipse.html

If you can afford mutiple brushes go for it, I use just one. With another one you can paint more and clean less, like switching colors. As for paint, I use Parma Faskolor, or Spaz-Stix... I prefer water based just for easy cleanup.
Old 04-21-2006, 01:18 PM
lukej6009

I agree...the Iwata rocks. I'm using the gravity feed (looks like the 4500 pictured on that link) but I cant remember for sure the correct model #. Clean up is ridiculously easy. We got it for full size stuff, but it's been working great for my lids too.
Old 04-21-2006, 02:33 PM
laserman2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

most people use badger air brushes here and yes they are some of the best i have a clone of there top line that i got a a clearance store for 15$ and i went to a buddys place and he couldn't see any difference between it and his other than the name of it
Old 04-21-2006, 03:36 PM
dustin7837

I'm not overly worried about price now that i see that airbrushes are under 200.
Whats better:
Suction feed or gravity feed.
I see that there are tons of these Iwata models in the 70 - 150 $ price range.
Old 04-21-2006, 05:13 PM
lukej6009

I prefer my gravity feed, I've had the suction style before. They work fine, but there are more parts you have to clean up. The only benefit they have over the gravity feed is a bigger container for paint. But mine holds enough paint for me. And like I said the cleanup is super easy.