Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Painting, Detailing & Bodies
Reload this Page >

Cleaning/Thinning with winter windshield washer fluid??!??!??

Community
Search
Notices
RC Painting, Detailing & Bodies Discuss painting techniques, methods and materials. Also detailing and bodies

Cleaning/Thinning with winter windshield washer fluid??!??!??

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2006, 11:40 PM
dustin7837
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cleaning/Thinning with winter windshield washer fluid??!??!??

Was at a hobby shop today that just changed ownership not long ago. And I was going to buy some faskleen for my airbrush seeing as how I was out. THe guy told me not to buy it and just use some WINTER windshield washer fluid...
I thought about it for a minute and it makes perfect sense! I am very into cars and used to work as a service consultant at a GM dealership and I know that the Winter washer fluid is water wtih denatured alcohola nd some mild, no foam soap. SUmmer stuff has no alcohol and has more soap though.

Is there a reason I have not heard about this before? He said that it works great to clean the brush between colors or coats, and works pretty decent for a final clean up too. Plus he said that using it to thin light colors, especially white, will make the colors look brighter...

Just wondering if anyone has tried this??
Old 08-10-2006, 02:12 PM
xacdesigns

Default RE: Cleaning/Thinning with winter windshield washer fluid??!??!??

it works good.
Old 08-11-2006, 12:24 PM
MaxxThrasher

Default RE: Cleaning/Thinning with winter windshield washer fluid??!??!??

As long as the paint your using is water based (acrylic) it works just fine. As you stated, it's the alcohol that is the active ingredient. You can also use rubbing alcohol and do away with all the extra ingredients found in the washer fluid. However, the soapy solution can aid in reducing dry tip if your thinning your paints with this. I would suggest deluting it with water though. Also, when thinning your paints with alcohol, the higher the content, the quicker it will dry the paint. This can cause problems with the paint drying too fast (before it hits the lexan) and be frustrating. If you have this problem, next time try a mixture of water and alcohol.