Community
Search
Notices
RC Painting, Detailing & Bodies Discuss painting techniques, methods and materials. Also detailing and bodies

How to remove Paint?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 10:01 PM
NSXTACY

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to remove Paint?

I recently painted my 1/10th buggy body, spolier and wheels with some White Krylon fusion. I had no idea it would be a total disaster.... I wasted a whole can just to find out that it chips off no matter what. It looks completley HORRIBLE! Even the paint on teh wheels and spolier chips off like crazy! I was wondering how i could take off the paint without hurting the plastic or lexan?? Would boiling it work? Any formulas i could buy at a local store? The easiest, cheapest, and fastest way to get that paint off is ALWAYS the best! So can anyone help me?

Also once i get all the paint removed, what would be the best paint for all 3 items(spoiler, rims, and body)? Tamiya? Anything i can get a HobbyTown? I want to paint my buggy like this:

I really like that color scheme. All white with orange stripes is exactly what i want to do! Just something like the pic above. Any tips for making the stripes? Any stencils on the web? Any help to get me started would be awesome! Thanks
Old 01-10-2007, 10:08 PM
BIG BEAR

Default RE: How to remove Paint?

IMO once you paint lexan its done, I know you dont want to hear that but its best to invest in a new body and re paint it the way you like using paint specific for lexan bodies.
Old 01-11-2007, 05:49 PM
NSXTACY

[:'(] What about the spoiler and wheels? Any way to take the paint off?
Old 01-12-2007, 04:01 AM
H_L

I paint bodies for customers so I have done a lot of them and I have never had any paint come off, like you said it chips off that means to me that its NOT lexan paint, all the lexan paint I have use doesn’t chip if anything it peels.
Try liquor thinners or acetone but try it on a scrap piece first because I never had to strip a body before.
Old 01-12-2007, 04:24 AM
RGX Blade

the Fusion paints are made for plastics but there not very forgiving...in other words there more like an Enamel type paint....best used on items that would not be subjected to a fair share of bending...such as outdoor furniture etc....
but for removing some paints would be almost impossable wthout destroying the body...
the most Economical woud be to get another body? not what one would want to hear? but it is the best to do so ......what i recommend to most of our students for our Airbrushing classes is get old 2 liter bottles ad use thoset practice on....to make sure your design comes out like you want it to before Commitingto a lexan body....
also for some paints such as "Polyurethane" you'll need to use an Adheashion promoter...
any kind really HOK 01 works well....
hope some of this can help
RGX Racing
Old 01-12-2007, 11:52 AM
BCSavage

what is the base of the paint? Windex works WONDERS on removing acrylics...
Old 01-14-2007, 08:15 PM
icecreamslick
My Feedback: (9)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you have any nitro fuel, it will remove paint from Lexan. It is still a lot of work, but it does the trick.....not worth buying nitro if you have none. I have used it to remove paint from window mask areas with great success. [sm=thumbup.gif]

I have never tried it on any other kind of plastic.
Old 01-14-2007, 08:42 PM
NSXTACY

How come it chips off of the plastic spolier and wheels? I pretty sure they are not lexan... Will tamiya paint work on the spolier and wheels too? No chipping?
Old 01-16-2007, 05:51 AM
H_L

I also use the tamiya paints and it needs to be a PS number for lexan PS = polycarbonate spray.
The tamiya paints have NEVER chipped or peeled for me, I do lots of fine coats or it will run.

As for the wheels I would go for a TS number in the tamiya range which is not flexible but will not scratch as easy as polycarbonate spray, if the wheels gets hit by rocks and debris it will chip.
Old 01-16-2007, 05:36 PM
NSXTACY

Alright thanks guys! Im gonna buy white wheels from towerhobbies : http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXMX91&P=0 they should fit my tornado, exact same size. And a new white spoiler, that i already ordered : http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXPDF6&P=0 I know its small but it was CHEAP and should do the job. For the body i will try taking the paint off with acetone or nitro. If that doesn't work ill just get a new clear body and paint it white.
Oh and any tips on putting the orange stripes on my body(like in the pic above)? I would love a guide on how to do this. I was thinking paint the body fully orange first, then mask off where i want the stripes, then paint it white.... Whats the best masking tape? Im scared the white paint will leak under the tape. []
Anybody know what that buggy is up top? Brand?
Old 01-17-2007, 10:34 PM
dfreshrc

Brake fluid will remove most paints also. like the nitro fuel though it is still a lot of work though. prob best to get a new body
Old 01-24-2007, 07:51 PM
The_Real_Hacksaw

I used non aceton fingernail polish remover and cotton rounds for removing the paint from 2 bodies in the last week.It is a TON of work but if you have a body that is no longer made (I do) and you don't like the paint scheme it can work.Just make sure to do it in a very well ventilated area or you'll be high as a kite in no time at all.Hack
Old 01-24-2007, 10:35 PM
calvin33

ORIGINAL: NSXTACY
The easiest, cheapest, and fastest way to get that paint off is ALWAYS the best! So can anyone help me?
Go to your LHS and buy everything new and start over (except maybe the wheels) Body $20-30 - paint $5 - move on. Just my .02
Old 02-02-2007, 11:16 AM
Purerock Racing

I just painted a new body for my Warhead truck, and there is some slight overspray on the outside. what is the best way to clean off the overspray without damaging the glossy finish? I was thinking just some auto polish or something. I want to clean off the exterior before I put on all my stickers.
Old 02-03-2007, 03:18 AM
Marco091

For getting paint off your body I saw this recently - [link]http://www.drccentral.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5458[/link]
Old 02-03-2007, 07:41 AM
NSXTACY

OMG thankyou! This is what i have been looking for!
Old 02-04-2007, 02:18 AM
Marco091

No probs - good luck [sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 02-05-2007, 09:23 PM
dude7422

hi everyone finger nail polish remover works on wheels to remove paint dont know if it will work on body